• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
VwBYkMk.png

TAKE REVENGE. RESTORE YOUR HONOR.
KILL INGENIOUSLY

Developer: From Software
Release Date: March 22nd, 2019
Platforms: PC, XB1, PS4
Price: $59.99 (Standard Edition)

16078_sekiro-shadows-die-twice-prev.png

sekirosample7wbjwn.jpg

Carve your own clever path to vengeance in an all-new adventure from developer FromSoftware, creators of Bloodborne and the Dark Souls series.

You are the "one-armed wolf", a disgraced and disfigured warrior rescued from the brink of death. Bound to protect a young lord who is the descendant of an ancient bloodline, you become the target of many vicious enemies, including the dangerous Ashina clan. When the young lord is captured, nothing will stop you on a perilous quest to regain your honor, not even death itself.

Explore late 1500s Sengoku Japan, a brutal period of constant life and death conflict, as you come face to face with larger than life foes in a dark and twisted world. Unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities while you blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head to head combat in a bloody confrontation.

charactersbannervpjja.jpg

forrealthistime1hcjj1.jpg

younglordfinaltbj49.jpg

forrealthistime4qkj9c.jpg

emmafinal3hjgh.jpg

generalfinalcmjj1.jpg

owlfinal8vjd2.jpg

sekirosample20ckpf.jpg

minimum system requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD FX-6300.
RAM: 4GB.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon HD 7950.

recommended system requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen 5 1400.
RAM: 8GB.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 570.

PC Options:
PC performance thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-pc-performance-thread.106743/

sekirosample3xck9v.jpg

sekirosample8y2jnu.jpg

Who is directing the game?
Hidetaka Miyazaki

Does Sekiro have multiplayer?
Unlike Bloodborne and the Demon's/Dark Souls series, Sekiro is a strictly offline single-player experience

Are there invasions in Sekiro?
No

Can you pause Sekiro while playing?
Yes

Is Sekiro an RPG?
No. The game has no stats, no character levels and no classes

Are there multiple endings?
yes

Do you lose your "souls" when you die?
you lose half your XP when you die twice. The lost XP can not be recovered once gone. BUT, there
are ways to affect the percentage of this:
Sekiro-unseen-aid.png

Are there different editions for the game?
There's a collector's edition for the game that's sold out. It's available on Ebay for purchase. There's select
retailers that are selling a steelbook version of the game for the same price as the standard edition. Then
there's the standard edition for the game, which is the only version to purchase digitally on their respective stores

How long is Sekiro?
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=57415 (I imagine this will be updated shortly)

Language Options?
Default language for voices are set to Japanese and subtitles are set depending on your region. You are able to change these from the menu. The list of all supported languages, see below.
Language Support Image

Activision's Involvement?
Activision is publishing the game (excluding Japan & Asia) and also helping From Software in some areas of development. See quote below:

When From first began working on Sekiro, the leadership group didn't have a particular publisher in mind. The studio was in talks with various companies about the project. "Activision actually showed the most keen interest in the project proposal," says Yasuhiro Kitao, From Software's manager of marketing and communications. For its part, Activision was looking to expand outside its usual shooter and platforming wheelhouse, and working with a premiere Japanese developer like From presented the chance to do exactly that. "Sekiro adds something very different and special to our lineup of games," says Michelle Fonseca, senior product and marketing director at Activision.

They offered to help us with areas that we don't consider our expertise, such as user testing, offering feedback in regards to usability, things like this," Kitao says. From sends Activision builds of the game every week, and the latter uses its large user research and quality assurance teams to give From feedback when it comes to onboarding new players. "We're getting a lot of stimulation from the ideas they give us, Kitao says.

Source: Gameinformer How Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Became An Activision Game

DLC?
There have been no information released regarding DLC for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Does the game support HDR?
Yes

So, is shit gonna get weird?
1*MBk71-h06TJNCjdRqUGcew.jpeg

hanbei3dqkvl.jpg

VIDEOS

A video by Playstation Access. A breakdown on how the combat works in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and how it it differs from their previous games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0slDH-jK2LI&t=202s

Official overview of the gameplay in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice split into 4 parts. The Story, The Shinobi Prosthetic, Combat and Progression (This video contains a little bit more enemy/boss spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhVKot3Mwc

And Vaati's recent beginners guide video. (contains boss & enemies from the previews).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMJrK5bQDg&t=2s

Combat Arts Showcase brought to you by vestan
(Thanks vestan!)

Boss Guides and more from our very own SweetJohnnyCage

TEXT

Dualshockers "Five Ways That the Combat in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is Different Than Dark Souls"
https://www.dualshockers.com/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-dark-souls-combat-comparison/

Dragonrot Guide

A Top post from a Top lad with useful Starting Tips
(Thanks FiveSide)

perusal269jic.jpg

Sekiro seems to be developing quite the fanart following...
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/655836764462865386/
https://www.deviantart.com/tag/sekiro

Sekiro Wiki

Trophies/Achievements

inside the creation of Sekiro's soundtrack (gameinformer)

Sekiro pre launch interview

Interview with Miyazaki (gameinfromer)
Why the decision to go with a skill tree system over the stat system?

The idea of a parameter system, a stats-leveling system is that you are catering to different people's builds. So, you have things that a mage can use, you have things that a strength user can use, you know the greatswords, or these different sorceries, and pyromancies. And this means that not all users have to use everything. They can specialize, or they can focus on their build. The idea of this game and the multifaceted ninja means you have to use everything in your arsenal, everything at your disposal to overcome these challenges.

Sekiro is way better when you stop playing it like Souls (Kotaku)

Related Threads

First OT
Sekiro Preview Thread
Sekiro Spoiler Thread
Sekiro E3 Trailer Reveal
Review Thread
PC Performance Thread

Reviews

IGN 9.5/10
Sekiro evolves From Software's formula into a stylish stealth-action adventure that, naturally, emphasizes precision and skill in its combat. It walks the line between deliberate and patient stealth and breakneck melee combat against threats both earthly and otherworldly. Its imaginative and flexible tools support a more focused experience that shaves down some of From Software's overly cryptic sensibilities without losing its air of mystery. Sekiro is an amazing new twist on a familiar set of ideas that can stand on its own alongside its predecessors.

Gameinformer 9/10
It's a challenging journey through a weird and wondrous world that forces you to learn and master its punishing combat to succeed. However, the sweet thrill of victory keeps you pushing forward despite myriad disheartening deaths. Sekiro is one of the most difficult games I have ever played, but for those seeking adventure, exploration, and a truly realized ninja fantasy, the trek is worth the high demands.

Hardcore Gamer 8/10
Set against the backdrop of a gorgeous Japanese aesthetic, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice combines what makes a From Software title special into an excellent, solid package that fans are going to love. Death may be a constant in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but it's worth getting up each time.

metacritic
opencritic

PLEASE CHECK THREADMARKS FOR PERTINENT INFORMATION SUCH AS COMBAT TIPS, SPOILER ETIQUETTE, ETC.

fFsvIC1.gif

special thanks: To Much for the glorious gif,
thanks to fluffydelusions for the OT title suggestion
a very special thanks to Masagiwa for the help with the OT. couldn't have done it without ya
sources for fan art:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/9hj1jd/beautiful_feudal_japan_sekiro_art/
https://www.deviantart.com/menaslg/art/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Corrupted-Monk-767320432

SoulsEra Discord link
(Quote post to reveal)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro

Ugh, took me an hour last night just to get one deathblow on his first phase. He doesn't feel cheap, I can deflect and keep myself alive for quite a awhile, but I just can't seem to stay alive AND get enough damage in to wreck his posture. Maybe I'm playing it too safe?

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Robert
Genichiro

Ugh, took me an hour last night just to get one deathblow on his first phase. He doesn't feel cheap, I can deflect and keep myself alive for quite a awhile, but I just can't seem to stay alive AND get enough damage in to wreck his posture. Maybe I'm playing it too safe?
Gotta be aggressive with him. The projectile attack is annoying but easily blockable. Good luck

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Added Hanbei the Undying's Dojo in the OT with beginner tips and whatnot. If y'all have any suggestions on what to add, lemme know

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Genichiro

Don't feel like you need to be landing damaging blows to keep him on his toes. Even taking a single swipe at him after one of his attack strings can be enough to stall his posture bar from recovering. If you're having no issues reading his moves then I recommend you add in 1-2 attacks after one of his strings. That combined with a handful of parries and 1-2 mikiris is more than enough to take him down in decent time.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Game is dope. Haven't finished yet, but I feel like I'm more than halfway through? It's honestly giving me Bloodborne-like levels of hype.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Stressful day at work, looking forward to getting home for a nice relaxing game of Sekiro

gonna kill that Owl bastard

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stop thinking about this game when I'm not playing it. I see strategies playing out in my mind, which will surely not work the way I think they will when I play it again later. LOL

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How do you know? And how do you miss some of the fight? The guy asking and me have obviously played the fight enough times to know her moveset. You still have to be aware of that at least to use the nightjar method, you can't just spam it mindlesly, but it works extremely well on her because of the timing of her attacks. You still have to dodge, block, and back off, but you just don't have to do it as often as if you tried fighting her with just regular slashes.

You have no idea how From designed that fight, don't assume that, and don't assume that those who do it are "missing out" on some of the game. So much weird gatekeeping in these games lol.

You're right that I don't know. My posts are, merely my opinion. I am not the games developer, neither do I feel that I ever pretended to be.

With that said, looking in from the outside, the technique does appear to circumvent a large portion of the intended source of challenge.

OMMWMp.gif

I also don't see how anything I said was gatekeeping anyone from anything. This technique significantly simplifies the fight, that's all I am saying. I'm not saying that's a problem, or that players shouldn't do it. I'm saying that some, may not want to.

Last edited:
spoiler tag etiquette
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Also remember Spoiler Tag etiquette! Morrigan made a great post about it, reposting here
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-ot-prepare-to-死.106251/post-19238786

Hey everyone, there's been some complaints about this thread being a minefield of spoilers, so please remember to:

a) use the spoiler tag when appropriate, particularly for mid-game and later, and
b) MARK your spoilers.

Examples of spoiler tag etiquette below:

Worst (seriously, this is useless):
Q:
Hey guys how do I beat (name of late-game boss)? Need tips please
A:
Against (name of late-game boss), it helps to always stay aggressive and parrying a lot, also the flame vent prosthetic tool helps in this fight.
Bad (please avoid):

Q: How do I beat
name of late-game boss? Need tips please

A: Here's how I did it:
Against (name of late-game boss), it helps to always stay aggressive and parrying a lot, also the flame vent prosthetic tool helps in this fight.

Good (please do it like that!):

name of the boss here, need tips please?

Thank you for your cooperation, everyone. <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
As someone who had a lot of difficulty with the game but slowly got the hang of it, here's what's helped me:

• Gourd seeds can be found hidden in the world and bought from vendors.
  • It is easy to farm XP for skills and they make a big difference.
  • Take your time to learn enemy patterns. Just block and deflect for a bit.

• Going on defense to cool down and recover posture (L1) is useful
  • Understand that most mini bosses are optional. Save yourself the grief.
  • Don't underestimate the value of sugars and other items (resistances)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Genichiro

Some tips I can offer you

With him, you need to be super aggressive. Treat it like a rhythm game, keep attacking until you think he's going to hit then deflect, keep attacking and you'll slowly but surely get pent up posture on him before you can deathblow him.

Second phase is exactly like the first but make sure to jump if he's about to do an unblockable slashing attack. Remember that you can jump on enemies to posture-break them too.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final boss down, that was cool af

Who was
The armor knight's son btw?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Is there concrete information about what the Demon Bell does to enhance difficulty? I'm on NG++ wrapping up my third ending and I pretty much forgot I even put it on.

Seems like giving Kuro's charm back has a much greater impact on difficulty but I haven't given that a proper shot yet. Might have to go all out and try both for NG+++ and the last ending. If anyone has a good amount of experience going charmless I'd love to know what you think

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Also remember Spoiler Tag etiquette! Morrigan made a great post about it
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-ot-prepare-to-死.106251/page-333#post-19238786

INFORMATION
Hey everyone, there's been some complaints about this thread being a minefield of spoilers, so please remember to:

a) use the spoiler tag when appropriate, particularly for mid-game and later, and
b) MARK your spoilers.

Examples of spoiler tag etiquette below:

Worst (seriously, this is useless):
Q:
SPOILER
A:
SPOILER
Bad (please avoid):

SPOILER

SPOILER

Good (please do it like that!):

SPOILER: LATE-GAME BOSS

SPOILER: LATE-GAME BOSS TIPS

Thank you for your cooperation, everyone. <3

Excellent post. I had to bail out the OT because people were posting spoilers so blatantly.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
God this fight is the worst kinda Fromsoft bullshit.

For Genichiro even after you get the timing and counters down for the first "phase," you still have to go through it every time to try and learn the second phase after the cutscene. I've had 10 separate instances where I've gone through the first two life bars with little to no damage, then died twice within 30 seconds on the second form. And the first part takes so damn long to get through in order to damage him enough that his posture doesn't just immediately drain.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
All I have left is:

Demon of Hatred
Isshin the Sword Saint

then I'm finally done and ready for NG+

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
OT2 LETSSSSS GOOOOOO.

in case anyone wondering I'm still stuck with the last boss. But I think I'm close, just need to master it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Put the 5/10 review in the op too. Let's get some dissenting opinions in here

I love the game so far but I don't think I'm very far in at all. I'm just inside Ashina Castle fighting Seven Spears McGee

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm 30 hours in and I don't want this game to end. It's a delicious morsel that I'm just savoring. My god, this game is extraordinary. Only From can stir this in my being. There's other video games and then there's From Software.

It's amazing how this game can make you feel like you're facing an unfair, insurmountable task until it clicks and then you are Neo in the Matrix deflecting bullets. Lone Wolf Swordsman comes to mind.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Much like relentless assault from the cannon fodder enemies in Sekiro, I was unprepared for a second OT so soon...

So, I started a new clean playthrough with all the knowledge I've learned and of course OF COURSE I get offed by a regular soldier after the red eyes ogre and press the "die" button instead of "resurrect" by accident and spread Dragon Cancer to my new playthrough as well.

Ugh.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
There's a Seven Spears in the Castle???

edit: Do you mean the one in the Reservoir?
I don't mean physically in the castle itself, the whole area is referred to as Ashina Castle at the fast travel points. Unless that counts as in the castle idk. It's the guy you fight just outside where you saved Kuro in the very beginning

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Is there concrete information about what the Demon Bell does to enhance difficulty? I'm on NG++ wrapping up my third ending and I pretty much forgot I even put it on.

Seems like giving Kuro's charm back has a much greater impact on difficulty but I haven't given that a proper shot yet. Might have to go all out and try both for NG+++ and the last ending. If anyone has a good amount of experience going charmless I'd love to know what you think
Kuro's charm makes a much bigger difference, from my experience. I haven't tested the Demon Bell much, but refusing Kuro's Charm reduces your damage output by something close to 50%, and makes you take chip damage when blocking (i.e. not deflecting). In terms of damage taken, basically any grab move becomes a one-shot.