• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the game!

Thank you GwyndolinCinder for that video you showed me on like page 5 lol
Actually learned the timing thing and used that to wreck the last phase of the boss as well as he only did one lightening attack when I beat him.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Captains log day two of being stuck on the blazing bull and lady butterfly. Losing my will to live. Time to play some Yoshi.
For me, key for the bull was staying locked and running to keep medium distance between us, and when it goes into its stop/turn animation, slash away a couple times. Sometimes it'll get stuck in a corner or whatnot and you can just smack that ass over and over.

Getting my shit fucked up by
Guardian Ape
2nd phase.

Can beat the first phase now but keep getting not even close on the 2nd
Patience worked for me. He'll eventually do that sliding move. Just jump over and slash away a few times and GTFO before the AOE.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They could be related to the previous divine heir, maybe? I also believe there might be some relation between the headless and Hanbei, your training buddy.
Shit also the
Corrupted Monk. Maybe the one who beheaded the other monks before waiting at the entrance to Fountainhead Palace? Perhaps she was one of the group of Headless when they were monks and heroes looking for the Dragons Tear then the centipedes messed them all up?? Man I need some lore videos lol

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I just fucking hate fighting these big ass bosses who are faster and more nimble than yourself even tho they are like 10 times larger. It also fucks up the camera so you cant see shit most of the fight.

fun.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Got the

Owl

Down, but I can't fucking believe that they put the

true corrupted monk

So soon after. I can take on his first 2 phases relatively easily but fuck me the third one is doing me in. Gonna sleep on this one.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I just fucking hate fighting these big ass bosses who are faster and more nimble than yourself even tho they are like 10 times larger. It also fucks up the camera so you cant see shit most of the fight.

fun.
This is a thing that FROM needs to improveA LOT. BB is the worst with dealing with the gamera because most of the bosses are big, and thankfully most of the bosses in Sekiro are in big rooms and are more or less human-sized. But every fight against a big enemy or a fight in a small room will kindly remind you that FROM are bad at programming a camera.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Snake Eyes is the first time I feel like the game is veering into extremely cheap difficulty. The camera again really sucks in tight spaces and it shows against this boss maybe more than any other

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I thought the same until I learned that I can keep jumping away from him, only mikiri countering the thrust (easy) and jump+R1ing the lightning attack. If you keep jumping away from him the lightning is easy to avoid in case your health is low and want to heal. Remember to stop and jump as soon as you see him use the lightning attack; if you're moving it won't hit you.

When I jump + R1, whats the timing? Like when should I press R1?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This is a thing that FROM needs to improveA LOT. BB is the worst with dealing with the gamera because most of the bosses are big, and thankfully most of the bosses in Sekiro are in big rooms and are more or less human-sized. But every fight against a big enemy or a fight in a small room will kindly remind you that FROM are bad at programming a camera.

stay away from the walls in these games, that is for every combat game with lock on.

only thing really annoying was the ninja dude in the well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically on the last boss and should have him beat soon.

My main issues with the game are issues that are small in any other game, but not one that depends on such precision. The lock on system is still trash, seemingly not having been improved upon since the first Souls game. Jumping can be wonky, dashing can be wonky, there's weird instances of inputs being delayed or held in buffer for too long on PS4.

And that stuff gets you killed and it's so frustrating. I just died to the final boss in the third phase because I was too close when he jumped and for whatever fucking reason, the lock on system decided to disengage. And that's not the first time that's happened either. One time he went behind a rock and it decided to disengage...

Last edited:

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg

His windup of his unblockable charge is literally ½ a second, which is also totally fair since that is a lot of time you have to react with. Or not. God damn this fight is just infuriating. I get what i have to do, stick close to the boss and circle him aka big BB bosses but damn his jump and charge are just cheap bullshit.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me out with this? It's about the prayer beads...
Can I get the tenth prayer bead in my first play-through? I only have nine, and I am missing two more prayer beads to get the tenth necklace.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

fun.
The camera is really bad in this game. Even against the human size enemies if youre fighting them in doors.

My main issues with the game are issues that are small in any other game, but not one that depends such precision. The lock on system is still trash, seemingly not having been improved upon since the first Souls game. Jumping can be wonky, dashing can be wonky, there's weird instances of input being delayed or held in buffer for too long on PS4.

And that stuff gets you killed and it's so frustrating. I just died to the final boss in the third phase because I was too close when he jumped and for whatever fucking reason, the lock on system decided to disengage. And that's not the first time that's happened either. One time he went behind a rock and it decided to disengage...
Lock on is also a big problem

May I ask in what sense do you mean? Stamina is a cap on actions you can take, and creates a finite limit. You do not get more actions because you use it well, you only use fewer actions at the time of, but the cap is always present. Stamina also factors the same way to all action, both offensive and defensive, in that it depletes a resource..

Posture is strictly a threshold. It is not a cap because you cannot be posture broken at max posture unless you block. If you deflect everything you can fight the entire fight at max posture. It is also strictly a defensive threshold in nature, has no direct effect on offense, and only would indirectly effect it in that if a particular player is uncomfortable with fighting at high posture, but never act as a hard cap in dictating that as something that cannot be done.

Stamina will always limit your actions because every action you take has an immediate cost (In this case, your stamina will decrease for every action). Posture only has a cost if you breach the threshold (in this case, when you block at max posture). Otherwise, the only limit is dictated by your execution and mental fortitude.

Edit: a word
Beautifully put. Stamina is nothing like the posture system.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
May I ask in what sense do you mean? Stamina is a cap on actions you can take, and creates a finite limit. You do not get more actions because you use it well, you only use fewer actions at the time of, but the cap is always present. Stamina also factors the same way to all action, both offensive and defensive, in that it depletes a resource..

Posture is strictly a threshold. It is not a cap because you cannot be posture broken at max posture unless you block. If you deflect everything you can fight the entire fight at max posture. It is also strictly a defensive threshold in nature, has no direct effect on offense, and only would indirectly effect it in that if a particular player is uncomfortable with fighting at high posture, but never act as a hard cap in dictating that as something that cannot be done.

Stamina will always limit your actions because every action you take has an immediate cost (In this case, your stamina will decrease for every action). Posture only has a cost if you breach the threshold (in this case, when you block at max posture). Otherwise, the only limit is dictated by your execution and mental fortitude.

Edit: a word

Can the player be posture broken by an enemies deflect. Say the player's posture bar is almost filled and they are attacking the enemy. If the enemy deflects one of the players attacks, will the player be posture broken?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone provide guidance on how to defeat a very late game boss?

The Demon of Hatred. I can barely get to phase 2 inconsistently but I find him too damn hard to read :(

Literally the only boss I've had real trouble with.
His windup of his unblockable charge is literally ½ a second, which is also totally fair since that is a lot of time you have to react with. Or not. God damn this fight is just infuriating. I get what i have to do, stick close to the boss and circle him aka big BB bosses but damn his jump and charge are just cheap bullshit.

In the unlikely case you are not aware, the charge is a sweep and can be jumped over regardless of how the model would indicate. The hitboxes in sekiro are not as tight in some instances, and this was the most glaring one to me for the sake of balance.

You should try to use all defensive options against this boss; in order of importance for me, running/re-positioning, jump i-frame, and deflect.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018

Stamina will always limit your actions because every action you take has a cost (In this case, your stamina will decrease for every action). Posture only has a cost if you breach the threshold (in this case, when you block at max posture). Otherwise, the only limit is dictated by your execution and mental fortitude.

I said a variation. When you block, it drains. When it fully drains you are staggered. Its not a completely new mechanic. Its a new take on an old mechanic. It works as a stamina bar works, but its abjusted to the new combat mechanics.

Just as deflecting has zero effect on posture, so does parry.

As I said, a variation.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

My main issues with the game are issues that are small in any other game, but not one that depends such precision. The lock on system is still trash, seemingly not having been improved upon since the first Souls game. Jumping can be wonky, dashing can be wonky, there's weird instances of input being delayed or held in buffer for too long on PS4.

The camera thing is insane to me because it's been an issue with every single one of their games for over a decade now, and they have somehow not gotten any better. They clearly need to prioritize it for their next title and/or make staff changes. A decade of failing at something usually means you need to take a different approach.

The other stuff is an issue too. I've definitely failed to heal before and just been left yelling at the TV "why won't you heal?" as the button press seems to not even register. Just starting the game, part of why I struggled with Lady Butterfly early was because the lock on would suddenly disengage during her attacks and I'd have no clue where she was.

Instead of working to improve all the qualities of their games, From seems exceedingly satisfied with making no progress on their legacy issues. Their next title is almost assuredly going to have the same PS1 platformer-tier camera, frame rate issues, etc.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
stay away from the walls in these games, that is for every combat game with lock on.

only thing really annoying was the ninja dude in the well.
Yep, but I think that Sekiro is a tad worse because is faster than souls game but uses the same shitty camera. The lock-on jumps from enemy to enemy making multiple-enemy combat a chore. And I had more problems with "the big optional boss", the columns during the "other optional boss" (not butterfly but same arena) and the samurai/ninjas in the Ashina dojo than with the well ninja.

God damn this fight is just infuriating.
It is, it feels like the bad fights in BB, and makes no sense considering how Sekiro plays.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Can the player be posture broken by an enemies deflect. Say the player's posture bar is almost filled and they are attacking the enemy. If the enemy deflects one of the players attacks, will the player be posture broken?

It will not be broken by enemy deflect. You can only get broken on block.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Demon of Hatred
is as boring fucking shit fight. Every single move he does is unfair and boring trying to avoid. Dno if im gonna do this shitty fight or do something else in the game.
Try to stay close to him as much as possible. If he jumps away always run towards his left side (your right). In the first phase, after his perilous attack, run directly towards him as fast as you can. In the second phase, after his perilous attack see if he raises his left leg. If yes, run in a perpendicular direction. Take 2-3 hits at a time then watch what he does next.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I said a variation. When you block, it drains. When it fully drains you are staggered. Its not a completely new mechanic. Its a new take on an old mechanic. It works as a stamina bar works, but its abjusted to the new combat mechanics.
Again you are way over simplifying what the two of these systems do in order to make a comparison and if thats the case any system that causes you to become staggered would fall under this definition regardless of whether you can see the bar or not. Thats far too general of a comparison to have anything meaningful to draw on which would put both games in a similar genre. It doesn't work like stamina works and you would have to ignore everything tjlee said to think that it does.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the final boss, at long last. It honestly just put me in kind of a crappy mood and overall I have tepid feelings about the game. Although I beat it, I think the whole game was just too fucking punishing without enough feeling of reward or accomplishment. Maybe I'll warm up to it playing it a second time or maybe I'll never touch it again, who knows. Feelings upon beating the game aren't really "fuck yeah!" more like "OK, finally, fuck that."

Oct 25, 2017
The camera thing is insane to me because it's been an issue with every single one of their games for over a decade now, and they have somehow not gotten any better. They clearly need to prioritize it for their next title and/or make staff changes. A decade of failing at something usually means you need to take a different approach.

The other stuff is an issue too. I've definitely failed to heal before and just been left yelling at the TV "why won't you heal?" as the button press seems to not even register. Just starting the game, part of why I struggled with Lady Butterfly early was because the lock on would suddenly disengage during her attacks and I'd have no clue where she was.

Instead of working to improve all the qualities of their games, From seems exceedingly satisfied with making no progress on their legacy issues. Their next title is almost assuredly going to have the same PS1 platformer-tier camera, frame rate issues, etc.

I've definitely had inputs not registering with regards to healing. Combined with having to skip cutscenes, especially between phases, for certain bosses, there's an air of frustration in Sekiro that wasn't present even in past Souls titles.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Think I accidentally cheesed a "boss".

I took down the 3 monkeys, took me a minute to realize what was up with the 4th monkey, I grappled up to a ceiling and he appeared with what looked like 3 terror monkeys in tow. 1 second later, shinobi execution! I think he fell off the roof. Didn't see it happen though, lol.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Try to stay close to him as much as possible. If he jumps away always run towards his left side (your right). In the first phase, after his perilous attack, run directly towards him as fast as you can. In the second phase, after his perilous attack see if he raises his left leg. If yes, run in a perpendicular direction. Take 2-3 hits at a time then watch what he does next.

I am doing exactly this except i cant evade his perilous attack since time you get to react and click a button is like less than ½ a second. So i am pretty much always getting hit by that. I also always get hit by his jump since there is no way you have enough time to get out from it if you are close to him. So i block it with maxed out umbrella, but you still take a small hit.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
I finished my fourth playthrough last night and finally got all of the achievements. What a ride. This game has been fantastic, and I think it's my favorite of the modern FromSoft games.

I have some thoughts on major endgame stuff (I could be misinterpreting some of this though, I'm not patient enough to dive super deep into the lore). Be sure you've done a good ending and the ending before reading this if you don't want to be spoiled.

I love how their combat mechanics characterize the fights with Genichiro, Isshin, and Sword Saint Isshin. Genichiro tests you on everything you've learned. Then SSI feels like the same test, but even more demanding. His combo strings have weirder timings that are harder to block. His spear packs more range. His gun is harder to avoid than arrows. He's the final exam to Genichiro's midterm. They're both similar, and they both fight honorably. No gimmicks or tricks, they just use all of the tools available to them. Even their lightning is honorable, since you can reflect it with good timing. It characterizes them both as people who mistakenly believe that in a fair fight, victory goes to the just. As a shinobi who is more than willing to fight dirty, Sekiro is ideologically opposed to them in the very way he fights.

Then you've got the fight with old Isshin, and the fucker just fights sooo dirty compared to the other two. As far as I can remember, he's the only character in the game who can do a dodge->counterattack. Well, the only character other than Sekiro. Then in the second phase he may as well be cheating with all of the fire attacks he busts out. It characterizes him as someone who has seen too much war to believe there can be any honor in violence. As a result, he'll use anything he can to win and stop another Shura from rising. In that battle, it's a role reversal. Sekiro has become the villain, and so compared to your foe, you're the one fighting honorably. In Isshin's eyes, there's not much of a difference between Genichiro inciting violence in his selfish quest for immortality and Sekiro inciting violence as a Shura. There's no reason to try to fight fair against such a threat.

These fights were amazing. What great ways to end the game.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done some optional encounters but want to move onto NG+
Demon of Hatred
the Snake
various headless / schimen warriors

Am I fucking myself over or can I just get everything I've missed in +? Are bosses much harder? Hoping the final boss for the 'bad' ending is a little easier, because FUCK

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I've definitely had inputs not registering with regards to healing. Combined with having to skip cutscenes, especially between phases, for certain bosses, there's an air of frustration in Sekiro that wasn't present even in past Souls titles.
I think it's because the game is faster. The input buffer is just far longer than it should, and more than once I tried to heal/jump/mikiri to see the character doing something else. This means that you need to press the buttons only when necessary, but when in a tense fight is not that unusual to mash buttons. Considering the more slow nature of Souls/BB it "made more sense" but in Sekiro is a problem from time to time.

Sekiro can be one of the best FROM games (not better than Dark Souls 1 but IMO is more consistent and rewarding than DkS III or BB) but the sadly common FROM flaws strike harder in a faster and more precise game.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the final boss. I haven't even been able to get him past his first deathblow marker. Holy fuck.

Also, I wish I didn't have to do that first fight every time. I have it down to a science and it's just annoying now.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Just as deflecting has zero effect on posture, so does parry.

As I said, a variation.

-You cannot take action when stamina is fully drained. You can take action when posture is full. They are not comparable in the objective definition of variation due to the hard limitation dictated by the mechanic of one, where as the other has no such limitation.

-Deflect has effect on posture as it still increases, but it doesn't turn into a cost unless you block when posture is full. Parry has immediate stamina cost. I'm not sure how that would be considered as a variation when one is immediate cost against a cap whereas the other is a threshold that isn't reached until a condition is met.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I'm at the final boss. I haven't even been able to get him past his first deathblow marker. Holy fuck.

Also, I wish I didn't have to do that first fight every time. I have it down to a science and it's just annoying now.

This is exactly where I'm at too. Really fed up of multi-phase bosses in From Software games, I miss when a boss was just a boss and you didn't have to fight it multiple times.

Good tips for DoH (optional boss)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
To all of you having trouble with a certain optional, Bloodborne-style end-game boss:

Demon of Hatred
The Perilous charge move: counter by jumping left
The leap into the air/explosion: counter by sprinting away and mash left trigger. You will grapple back to him, avoid the shockwave and get a huge window for free hits.
All stomps can simply be blocked. Even with the stagger effect, he will still be wide open for at least 2-3 hits.
When he leaps away from you, NEVER let him have distance even if you think you need to heal. ALWAYS rush back to him. As you're closing the gap he will do one of two attacks. The most common, is throwing two waves of fireballs at you. If you began sprinting to him immediately, you can safely spring right under the first wave and punish him as he finishes. The second, he will lift his flame arm high and bring it down vertically, sending a huge trail of fire straight ahead for some distance. Avoid this by sprinting left or right. In phase two and three this will be upgraded to include a wider swath, with fire on both sides of the trail. Avoid the same way as previous, just jump right as the attack lands.
For his headbutt, simply dodge left or right.

Whenever you are closing the distance with him from relatively close, he may use HIS right hand to do a single swing attack to catch you unaware. This is countered by always sprinting towards his left side, causing the attack to whiff every time.

The move that was the hardest for me to counter was a combo - he does two fiery swings, then a stomp, then one more swing, then lifts hit left leg like he's about to stomp but this isn't actually an attack. It's only four moves. To counter the combo, hug his left leg during the swings, block the stomp, then spring to YOUR left to avoid the last swing. From that point you can hammer him for 4-6 hits.

Phase 3 adds in homing fire balls. These can be avoided by sprinting laterally with ease, but hopefully you will never see this attack as it means you were giving him far too much space.

Also added in phase 3 is a move that creates a circle of fire around both of you. This is more theatrical than it is dangerous. Keep close to the demon and do not enter the fire. If he leaves the circle, he will return very quickly, almost always to do either a single charge/sweep attack or a double in the reverse direction. Just hit jump in both cases to avoid. The hitbox is very forgiving, but remember, watch the animation, not the kanji to get the timing down. The kanji is just a warning that it's coming, not an indicator of timing.

Lastly, between phases do not get greedy. End of phase one is only an AOE shockwave which causes knockback but no damage. Regardless he will immediately jump away and any hits you might've gotten in will not damage him. Use this time to heal if you need to. Between phase two and three, immediately sprint to the far end of the arena. As far as you possible can get away from him. He will open with a MASSIVE circular spin attack, easily the biggest AOE attack in the whole game. After this, sprint around the ring of fire laterally until he comes charging through it. Do NOT stop moving or he will leap attack you for a (likely) OHKO. After the dramatic opening of the phase, continue to fight him as before.

I think that's all his moves.
If you follow these counters, you can beat him without using tools or cheesy strategies.

Hope these help someone out there!

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly where I'm at too. Really fed up of multi-phase bosses in From Software games, I miss when a boss was just a boss and you didn't have to fight it multiple times.
I don't mind multiple phase bosses. What's irritating is that the first fight, which kinda is a different phase, so to speak? Like, I can beat that dude almost every time without getting hit now. I know his patterns. I'd rather not have to do that every time now.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London

Been working on this boss now for a few hours. I can get to stage 3 pretty frequently now but just get destroyed there. Never seen stage 4.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in the middle of Ashina Castle after going on massive detours throughout Sunken Valley and the Temple (had to look up a guide because it felt that I exhausted all possible places I could get to at this point).

I still want to play more to make a final judgment, but I'm slowly coming to the realization that I just don't like this game very much. When things get frustrating, they get reaaally frustrating (for instance, who in the fuck decided to have you fight that centipede dude in that tiny ass room with how bad the camera in this game is)

Stealth is super frustrating sometimes because the enemies are either dumb and blind as hell, or they pull an Alpha Protocol where if one dude side-eye you, all of a sudden all of his buddies in a mile radius knows where you're at at all times

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
about these two Snake Eyes minibosses:

man, the one in Depths is much easier as you can take her first health bar with stealth stab, then in the middle of the combat you can puppet one of the adds so he attacks her, and then finish her with the pool from the poison. judging on the messages here, i though she will be tougher than her sister from Sunken Valley

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I am doing exactly this except i cant evade his perilous attack since time you get to react and click a button is like less than ½ a second. So i am pretty much always getting hit by that. I also always get hit by his jump since there is no way you have enough time to get out from it if you are close to him. So i block it with maxed out umbrella, but you still take a small hit.
there is plenty of time to get out from underneath his jump. it has a very long, obvious tell