• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
What to do after defeating owl to get all the 3 endings? I already have the save backed up to get all 3 without having to replay the game again. Any advice on how to go about this? like what's the furthest point I can go while still being able to achieve 2 endings (so I save and then get reload the save to get the other ending from there)?
I believe you can get the items required for both secret endings as long as you haven't beat Divine Dragon which is when I did it. I started both Purification and Homecoming routes at this time, literally having activated the Idol outside Dragon boss. I got the items then continued the story, although I did already have the serpent viscera before then and had already stumbled into the Kuro rice/sweet rice conversation but hadn't give it to Divine Child until before Dragon boss. The last save you will need is post final boss you get to choose what item to you if you have done Homecoming and Purification perquisites then you'll have an option of 3 items to use. Use an item then co back over your save and simply use the other items. For Shura ending reload an old save before Owl before he gives you the choice but you are going to have to play through the game again anyway. The all bosses achievement only seems to unlock if it's all bosses on one save file.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
The trend that started with Dark Souls 3 of incredibly punishing multiphase bosses needs to stop. I'm currently on Owl and asking someone to fight that long with minimal mistakes is just exhausting and stressful in a way I don't enjoy at all. It makes me genuinely upset and anxious in a way none of the other recent Fromsoft games have.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
One thing I wanted to criticize about the game and was probably a result of having to get the game out the door and development costs. It includes spoilers so I put it in a spoiler tag.
After a couple of playthroughs it really gets more and more clear how many cost cutting shortcuts they actually took. I didn't pay attention to this as much in the first playthrough but I think it needs to be said.

- Ashina Castle (World state change 3 times)
- Thousand enemies with the Lone Shadow Vilehand moveset.
- Gyobu & DoH using the same boss arena
- Genichiro, Owl, Emma, Isshin using the same arena.
- Lady Butterfly & Owl using the same arena.
- 5-6 Headless
- 2 Guardian ape fights with the difference being 1 mob added to one of them.
- Genichiro fight three times (two of them have different move sets at least)
- Ashina Outskirts backtracking endgame.
- 3 Shichimen warriors.
- Corrupted Monk Warmup - Real Corrupted Monk
- 3 Different Juzou's.

You get the drill, I've probably missed a bunch. The game is obviously fantastic but I heavily criticized Nioh for re-using so many assets and it would be hypocritical of me not criticizing Sekiro for this. This is one of my biggest complaints about the game and while I felt satisfied with the enemy variety in the game there is no denying that this was visible, more so than their previous games.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I finally get the thread title reference.

I destroyed his posture 6 times before finally knocking him off the bridge. I was trying everything, even executing him from the back. Was there any hint in the game regarding this?

So far I have beaten 2 bosses: Lady Butterfly and Gyoubu. The later was definitely the intended first boss as after beating LB, I wrecked him on my 2nd try

I am doing Senpou Temple now. Is it part of the main story? I left 3 areas for later: the reservoir, the castle like area with enemies up top throwing shurikens at you and the abandoned dungeon. So far my favorite is Senpou temple.

Also after beating LB, is there anything else to do in Hirata Estate? In the cutscene after the fight they show you the statue falling down but when I go back it's still up. I thought that would open a new area

Oct 26, 2017
Yo look whos fuckin alive if you come here first!!! How do you talk to him?
edit: Oh by talking to the prayer woman, its nice when the first thing you check works
wiaWq1g.png

Nah fuck that lol. I saw that bell and I was like "nope." NG+ is generally my chill run in these games but these chicks made me actually panic. The final boss should've been three of them.
Na its the kuro charm that changes stuff, blocking does chip damage and enemies block WAYYYYY more

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
How long will it take to acquire all skills? I'm on NG+ right now
Should I farm xp or just continue going through ng cycles?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
One thing I wanted to criticize in the game and was probably a result of having to get the game out of the door and development costs. It includes spoilers so I put it in a spoiler tag.
After a couple of playthroughs it really gets more and more clear how many cost cutting shortcuts they actually took. I didn't pay attention to this as much in the first playthrough but I think it needs to be said.

- 5-6 Headless
- 3 Shichimen warriors.
- 3 Different Juzou's.

You get the drill, I've probably missed a bunch. The game is obviously fantastic but I heavily criticized Nioh for re-using so many assets and it would be hypocritical of me not criticizing Sekiro for this. This is one of my biggest complaints about the game and while I felt satisfied with the enemy variety in the game there is no denying that this was visible, more so than their previous games.

yeah, it is pretty obvious. in the end there could have been another one or two bigger areas in the game. and many areas in the game are really smallish, you can run through them in a minute or two.

worst offender was
gunfort

first i´ve thought, "wow what will await me there?" and in the end it is a room and a hallway -.-

also, i would have loved something like chalice dungeons, maybe a temple style map with random generated challenge rooms or an enemy wave mode, something like that would have fitted the game.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
One thing I wanted to criticize about the game and was probably a result of having to get the game out of the door and development costs. It includes spoilers so I put it in a spoiler tag.

- 5-6 Headless
- 3 Shichimen warriors.
- 3 Different Juzou's.

There's actually 4 Drunken Bozo's if you count the rematch :) I'm kinda fine with all this though it's not hammering you with reused assets it's well spaced out and tastefully done. Maybe Drunken Spirit Bozo is the only one I raised my eyebrow at.

also, i would have loved something like chalice dungeons, maybe a temple style map with random generated challenge rooms or an enemy wave mode, something like that would have fitted the game.

But the Chalice Dungeons were terrible, easily one of the worst things about Bloodborne and nothing but reused assets outside of a few bosses. :/

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I wanted to criticize about the game and was probably a result of having to get the game out of the door and development costs. It includes spoilers so I put it in a spoiler tag.

- 5-6 Headless
- 3 Shichimen warriors.
- 3 Different Juzou's.

Yeah I can agree with this. What's there is fantastic and I'll take it over Dark Souls' and Bloodborne's unique but lame boss fights like Living Failures, Celestial Emissaries, and Deacons, but they definitely cut some corners to make things work within their budget. I think 2-3 more unique bosses and the game would have been perfect. As it stands you've really got

3 unique fights in the first part, 3 unique fights in the second part + monkeys, and a choice of 2 unique bosses in the endgame + Corrupted Monk, Dragon, and Demon of Hatred. On my replay right now I'm back up to Owl and it seems like a much shorter game than I anticipated.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Genichiro advice needed, please!

I suck at most games but I've had a surprisingly okay time with Sekiro. It's tough, but I had a way harder time with BB for sure. Lady Butterfly only took me four tries, for example. But the castle rooftop fight is giving me lots of trouble in Phase 2.

Phase 1 isn't so bad, other than having to repeat it over and over. But as soon as phase 2 starts, I have zero idea what the button prompt is suggesting I do. I don't understand when I'm supposed to counter lightning or even how... can someone using an Xbox One controller on PC explain what I'm physically supposed to be doing in the Phase 2 of that fight, please?

its actually much safer to be aggressive as he's less likely to even try and use any lightning attacks if you're in close.
most of his actual sword attacks and patterns are similar to his first form. i found it a lot safer to jump away and avoid the lightning altogether instead of trying to let you hit you in the air so that you can do the r1 counter. although the latter does big posture damage.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long will it take to acquire all skills? I'm on NG+ right now
Should I farm xp or just continue going through ng cycles?
Doing that shit ng+ also found an spot where i can stealth kill an purple guy for 2k each time but it taking so long to gain an exp bar.
I don't get it. I killed the 3 monkeys. Now what? Why is there still health on the bar?
there is an forth one >.>

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
But the Chalice Dungeons were terrible, easily one of the worst things about Bloodborne and nothing but reused assets outside of a few bosses. :/

but they added some meat to the game.

i would have been okay with this, could have been the area from the gimmick fight with random generated enemies in the rooms and some traps to avoid.

I don't get it. I killed the 3 monkeys. Now what? Why is there still health on the bar?

go into the muddy room and look at the floor behind you ;-)

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I just can't do it. I cant git gud.

Platinumed blood-borne, completed all dark souls multiple times with few days. But i just can't do it. Deflecting just doesnt make sense too me when it comes too bosses.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't do it. I cant git gud.

Platinumed blood-borne, completed all dark souls multiple times with few days. But i just can't do it. Deflecting just doesnt make sense too me when it comes too bosses.

It's just tapping block whenever an attack connects. Think of it like a BB/Dark Souls parry except that it's instantaneous. You gotta do it in rhythm.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
am I missing out on a lot of side quests/story by letting the Dragonrot infect the world too much?...should I be curing it every chance I get?...also if I have 3 resurrections available is there any way of using it back-to-back-to-back or does there always need to be a delay/recharge?...I'm guessing they don't want the player to use it too many times in a row (especially during a boss fight)...

Oct 29, 2017
Well I'll be damned. Finally beat the game.
Isshin is SO hard but I went full zen and managed to beat him fairly quickly.

Anyone else beat the game without ever removing the bell demon curse?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
yeah, it is pretty obvious. in the end there could have been another one or two bigger areas in the game. and many areas in the game are really smallish, you can run through them in a minute or two.
worst offender was
gunfort
first i´ve thought, "wow what will await me there?" and in the end it is a room and a hallway -.-
It becomes really clear when your rushing to the bosses.

There's actually 4 Drunken Bozo's if you count the rematch :) I'm kinda fine with all this though it's not hammering you with reused assets it's well spaced out and tastefully done. Maybe Drunken Spirit Bozo is the only one I raised my eyebrow at.
Yeah I can agree with this. What's there is fantastic and I'll take it over Dark Souls' and Bloodborne's unique but lame boss fights like Living Failures, Celestial Emissaries, and Deacons, but they definitely cut some corners to make things work within their budget. I think 2-3 more unique bosses and the game would have been perfect. As it stands you've really got
3 unique fights in the first part, 3 unique fights in the second part + monkeys, and a choice of 2 unique bosses in the endgame + Corrupted Monk, Dragon, and Demon of Hatred. On my replay right now I'm back up to Owl and it seems like a much shorter game than I anticipated.

Yeah, they are definitely tastefully done. I just see this as an area they could improve on hugely if there was going to be a sequel in the future.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
am I missing out on a lot of side quests/story by letting the Dragonrot infect the world too much?...should I be curing it every chance I get?...also if I have 3 resurrections available is there any way of using it back-to-back-to-back or does there always need to be a delay/recharge?...I'm guessing they don't want the player to use it too many times in a row (especially during a boss fight)...

You only need to cure dragonrot when you want to do sidequests. So don't bother with it until you feel like talking to an NPC who's coughing. You'll get 10 or so chances to cure it per playthrough. To use your resurrections again you either need to use a Jizo Statue item or get a deathblow or two.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's just tapping block whenever an attack connects. Think of it like a BB/Dark Souls parry except that it's instantaneous. You gotta do it in rhythm.

I think my problem is that i keep thinking that the block will cancel my attacks and i dedicate tooo much to them. Some special weapons seem ineffective

Jul 20, 2018

If you have three you still always have to get a death blow between them.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You only need to cure dragonrot when you want to do sidequests. So don't bother with it until you feel like talking to an NPC who's coughing. You'll get 10 or so chances to cure it per playthrough. To use your resurrections again you either need to use a Jizo Statue item or get a deathblow or two.

but how do I know which NPC has a sidequest?...or do most of them have sidquests?...so I can start a sidequest at any time, meaning if an NPC is sick in Area 2 can I cure the dragonrot during area 6 and go back and talk to the NPC in area 2 and get the quest?

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I wanted to criticize about the game and was probably a result of having to get the game out the door and development costs. It includes spoilers so I put it in a spoiler tag.

- 5-6 Headless
- 3 Shichimen warriors.
- 3 Different Juzou's.

Yep, the game REALLY needed more bosses. It would be great to have more areas too, but that I can understand considering how much more complex it must be to design areas for this game's mechanics.

Though I don't get why not hold the second Ashina Castle bonfire rush to after you finish the game. It would be much better for the game's pacing if it was just a "bonus stage". The game would still be of a good enough length if you could go straight to the final boss after coming back from the dragon encounter.

That way they could even give the Demon of Hatred a little introductory cutscene or something, it would be great.

They must have spent a ton of time developing the new mechanics, considering this is the longest dev cycle of a Miyazaki game so far, and we still have a much lower boss count. Bloodborne had so many bosses made in less time that they put a bunch of them in the shitty chalice dungeons. Wish they saved some of those fights for Sekiro. If only they knew. :P

Also really not that fond of the world and a lot of the supporting cast. The main characters are good, the quest design is pretty awesome, this game is mechanically sublime, but as someone who always cared a great deal about the stories in Souls, this aspect was pretty disappointing in Sekiro. I can't see it ever becoming my favorite for that reason alone.

I don't think Miyazaki should let others write his games anymore. Let this be a one off thing. Dark Souls III wasn't very interesting story-wise, but the supporting NPCs were still a lot better than your random merchant in Sekiro.

Even the NPCs that were good in Sekiro feel like they don't have enough lines. Major events happen and the Busshi doesn't give a shit, Emma doesn't give a shit, Kuro doesn't give a shit. Fucking Info Broker sure as hell doesn't give a shit about anything except for one optional boss fight near the end. Hanbei was cool, until his story just ended and never went anywhere. Mechanically, the quests were GREAT, never seen quest design in Souls that used the core mechanics like in Sekiro, but the actual ending of the storylines were always so... bland.

This post sounds a lot more negative than my overall feelings on the game are, but with my ending being so boring, I guess I need to advance my NG+ without Kuro's Charm to get back to more positive gameplay impressions.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
but how do I know which NPC has a sidequest?...or do most of them have sidquests?...so I can start a sidequest at any time, meaning if an NPC is sick in Area 2 can I cure the dragonrot during area 6 and go back and talk to the NPC in area 2 and get the quest?

Only a few of them have sidequests. In general only those who are not "mob" vendors (the guys who set up shops in tents) have sidequests and even then it's not too many of them. And yeah that will work, it cures all of them.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Beat that god damned fucking bull and once I figured it out it was easy peasy. Now the game opened up like crazy and I'm finding death no matter where I go.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hate this 7 spears fight in the later game. I got him close but if you mess up you are basically dead in 1 or 2 hits so annoying

Oct 25, 2017
People are downing the last boss in a couple of tries in here, damn I'm impressed.
I beat the Demon of Hatred right before the final boss, so it naturally felt easier, haha. Demon of Hatred was without a doubt the hardest boss in the game, to me.

Comparing how much trouble I had on my first playthrough, my difficulty ranking for bosses would be:

Demon of Hatred > Lady Butterfly (yes, really) > Isshin, the Sword Saint > Priestess Yao > Guardian Ape 2 > everything else.

Probably not a coincidence that I activated the bell just before Guardian Ape 2.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yep, the game REALLY needed more bosses. It would be great to have more areas too, but that I can understand considering how much more complex it must be to design areas for this game's mechanics.

Though I don't get why not hold the second Ashina Castle bonfire rush to after you finish the game. It would be much better for the game's pacing if it was just a "bonus stage". The game would still be of a good enough length if you could go straight to the final boss after coming back from the dragon encounter.

That way they could even give the Demon of Hatred a little introductory cutscene or something, it would be great.

They must have spent a ton of time developing the new mechanics, considering this is the longest dev cycle of a Miyazaki game so far, and we still have a much lower boss count. Bloodborne had so many bosses made in less time that they put a bunch of them in the shitty chalice dungeons. Wish they saved some of those fights for Sekiro. If only they knew. :P

Also really not that fond of the world and a lot of the supporting cast. The main characters are good, the quest design is pretty awesome, this game is mechanically sublime, but as someone who always cared a great deal about the stories in Souls, this aspect was pretty disappointing in Sekiro. I can't see it ever becoming my favorite for that reason alone.

I don't think Miyazaki should let others write his games anymore. Let this be a one off thing. Dark Souls III wasn't very interesting story-wise, but the supporting NPCs were still a lot better than your random merchant in Sekiro.

Even the NPCs that were good in Sekiro feel like they don't have enough lines. Major events happen and the Busshi doesn't give a shit, Emma doesn't give a shit, Kuro doesn't give a shit. Fucking Info Broker sure as hell doesn't give a shit about anything except for one optional boss fight near the end. Hanbei was cool, until his story just ended and never went anywhere. Mechanically, the quests were GREAT, never seen quest design in Souls that used the core mechanics like in Sekiro, but the actual ending of the storylines were always so... bland.

This post sounds a lot more negative than my overall feelings on the game are, but with my ending being so boring, I guess I need to advance my NG+ without Kuro's Charm to get back to more positive gameplay impressions.

They've created this brand new combat system that is so refined and excellent. The game just screams sequel potential and has such a strong foundation they could work with.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
its actually much safer to be aggressive as he's less likely to even try and use any lightning attacks if you're in close.
most of his actual sword attacks and patterns are similar to his first form. i found it a lot safer to jump away and avoid the lightning altogether instead of trying to let you hit you in the air so that you can do the r1 counter. although the latter does big posture damage.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I just really hate the set up for this fight, entirely. Quickly climb rooftop. Start cutscene. Waste 4 or 5 minutes getting through phase one that I've mastered. Skip second cutscene. Get 30 seconds before I die to phase 2, rinse repeat.

If it would just stick to phase 2 after death I wouldn't complain. But I've now spent like 30 minutes playing the same 3 minute snippet of gameplay on a loop.

Bleh. Gonna call it here and maybe I'll come back later.

Oct 25, 2017
They've created this brand new combat system that is so refined and excellent. The game just screams sequel potential and has such a strong foundation they could work with.
You know, I usually tend to not like From's direct sequels as much, and always hope for new IPs, but I'm more than willing to make an exception for Sekiro. The new mechanics are so intrinsically connected to the Wolf, and they deserve another game to be expanded.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I mean i am terrible at this game. I having huge troubles at just getting past the first part of the last boss fight. I have learned like literally zero and havent improved at all really lmao.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The trend that started with Dark Souls 3 of incredibly punishing multiphase bosses needs to stop. I'm currently on Owl and asking someone to fight that long with minimal mistakes is just exhausting and stressful in a way I don't enjoy at all. It makes me genuinely upset and anxious in a way none of the other recent Fromsoft games have.
that fight is like 3-4 minute tops and plenty of opportunities for breathing room. Does hit like a brick though.