• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
It's a boss that takes everything you've learned at that point and challenges you with one final difficult exam. It's hard a fuck, but there's nothing unfair about it, just keep going at it and memorize those attack patterns.

Well thats the problem. I really never improve at games even when playing a lot. Hence i am again stuck on first phase on this cunt. I pretty much have everything memorized down to a tee. It is that my reactions are too slow and my skills are too shit. Hence when i suck it's just not fun.

I am dropping this shit at 2 pm here local time. I just dont want to waste a sunday at having a bad time in a video game. Might pick it up later tonight, if it's still shit then i will give up and drop the game indefinitely. Sometimes you just have to make peace with that you simply can't do some things. rofl

Oct 25, 2017
I was never a Dark Souls pro, but man, is this game kicking my ass :/
Any tips? I've beating the drunken boss, and I'm now up against Butterfly and the big Ogre in the village. Can't beat either (Butterfly I can understand but I can't beat the Ogre even with a stealth attack first, his run & grab is one of the most infuriating moves I've ever seen in a game). I'm really starting to dislike this game and I was really looking forward to it so it's a double disappointment so far :(
Don't be afraid to chip the ogre's health down. Wait for him to do his jump kicks or grab attacks, get a couple of hits in, retreat. Also keep in mind that you can always grapple to a higher point for some save healing.
And if nothing else helps, you can just ignore him for now and move on, he is not mandatory IIRC

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips? I've beating the drunken boss, and I'm now up against Butterfly and the big Ogre in the village. Can't beat either (Butterfly I can understand but I can't beat the Ogre even with a stealth attack first, his run & grab is one of the most infuriating moves I've ever seen in a game). I'm really starting to dislike this game and I was really looking forward to it so it's a double disappointment so far :(

There is an ability you can get that lets you
grapple enemies
, so after you dodge his grab, a prompt will appear, and you can press L2 to get some free hits in.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
The game's difficulty is different for everyone by the looks of it. Haven't hit a wall yet, but the difficulty seems to have ramped up significantly after
the corrupted monk

I appreciate the geniricho fight even more since it prepared me for what was to come nicely. I died quite a bit, but was never frustrated; because I knew what I had to do. Doing it almost flawlessly at the end was a cherry on top.

Also a minor nitpick I have: I hate having to hold square (or equivalent) to collect money. The bull fight (and ogre to a certain extent) were my least favourite. Everything after that has been A-class.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I think those are the same as the "Truly Precious Bait you can feed to the Carp.

It's the same water that's running down into Ashina. I thought about this since you find precious bait in mibu village waters where people have gone mad and turned into monster from contaminated water. But also the small pond in the Guardian Ape arena has a precious bait in it. The ape is clearly infested with the worm as well. The Fountainhead Palace has to be the link to all this infested stuff.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, people are breaking the boss fights so hard now. It's fun to watch how cheesy the speedruns are going to get.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well thats the problem. I really never improve at games even when playing a lot. Hence i am again stuck on first phase on this cunt. I pretty much have everything memorized down to a tee. It is that my reactions are too slow and my skills are too shit. Hence when i suck it's just not fun.

I am dropping this shit at 2 pm here local time. I just dont want to waste a sunday at having a bad time in a video game. Might pick it up later tonight, if it's still shit then i will give up and drop the game indefinitely. Sometimes you just have to make peace with that you simply can't do some things. rofl
Well, you managed to reach the final boss of the game. If you've come this far, then you'll definitely beat him. It's just a matter of patience. I beat my head against the final boss for like half a day before finally beating him. It takes a lot of time for sure.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Well, you managed to reach the final boss of the game. If you've come this far, then you'll definitely beat him. It's just a matter of patience.

706FBCA5DB59E0F2E8610DC0B0327B83101551AC

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same water that's running down into Ashina. I thought about this since you find precious bait in mibu village waters where people have gone mad and turned into monster from contaminated water. But also the small pond in the Guardian Ape arena has a precious bait in it. The ape is clearly infested with the worm as well. The Fountainhead Palace has to be the link to all this infested stuff.

Plus you can give an NPC in mibu (the one slurping on something) water from fountainhead, come back later and see he turned into one of them.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So I'm a bit confused about the monk fight
I noticed that mortal blade does a lot of damage, so I used it until I could. When I had almost lost the fight, I tried using the mortal again "for fun" even if I hadn't any spirit emblems left, buuut it worked?!? And I beat the monk easily. So how exactly does the mortal blade work?

Huh? I'm confused... how do you use the
mortal blade?
as a combat art

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever wanted to know what a Earthquake vs Typhoon match would look like in its heyday then mind control the shield giant at Senpou temple and have him fight the home run guy. Clash of the fatty titans.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This game is fun for a few hours but it's kind of bullshit after that. The skill system seems very uneven and trash enemy density is waaaaaaay too much. That alone robs you of any real feeling of victory the way dark souls did so the game feels like a chore after a while rather than an experience of doing a bit better each time and progressing a little further. If this was tuned a bit better I'd think it was a master piece. As it stands it feels like a lot of people are giving Sekiro a pass because of the developer's pedigree and because some people think if it's super hard it must be good.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Plus you can give an NPC in mibu (the one slurping on something) water from fountainhead, come back later and see he turned into one of them.

Yeah, I wonder if that water is more pure since it's kept in a vessel and comes straight from the source. That's why he turned into a mist noble thing, while the other villages are drinking a contaminated version of that water, I don't know.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, people are breaking the boss fights so hard now. It's fun to watch how cheesy the speedruns are going to get.

I beat him last night after a few tries, took me a while to get the routine down with the lilac shield. I didn't realise firecrackers were effective against him.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Watched someone simply jump on Seven Spears head over and over again to gradually make his posture meter rise. I don't think the person ever had to deflect a hit. Spears was in constant stun phase.

Oct 27, 2017

People told me that you are forced to play in a certain way, that the game is rigid,etc.
Yeah, about that this video shows how you can approach a boss in a completely different way and destroy it by mixing attack,defense items and prosthetic tools.
This i don't consider cheesing a boss, but just using the powerful tools the game gives you that are more than just deflect and parry.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
FUCK. Now i manage to get triggered enough to throw my controller at my monitor so it get a scratch. Fuck this shit game. I am fucking giving up and dropping this bullshit indefinitely. I am just getting too angry and triggered at all bullshit it throws at me. And i dont want to damage my stuff even more.... FUCK

Jul 20, 2018

Yeah I don't doubt that it has to do with thar.. Just observing what those worms seem to be.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK. Now i manage to get triggered enough to throw my controller at my monitor so it get a scratch. Fuck this shit game. I am fucking giving up and dropping this bullshit indefinitely. I am just getting too angry and triggered at all bullshit it throws at me. And i dont want to damage my stuff even more.... FUCK
I don't think the game is the issue.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't doubt that it has to do with thar.. Just observing what those worms seem to be.

When you fight the dragon it's sick right? I'm not sure where the 'worm' came from (other than the west), but I think if the dragon is sick then the corruption trickles down from there.

How old are you dude? lol

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg

When you fight the dragon it's sick right? I'm not sure where the 'worm' came from (other than the west), but I think if the dragon is sick then the corruption trickles down from there.

It isnt about age, like video games is like the only thing i know off that gets me off and really angry. It is about the only thing i have a short fuse and no patience. Thats why i never get better at them as well lol. Anyway i am dropping this game now, this last boss fight is way too hard and gets my way too triggered.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Cave ape down on second try, not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.

The brown ape had like no HP at all, you just have to kill it first while avoiding the attacks from the headless one.

It's one of my favourites,because the way it played out for me. After just about finishing him off last time, this time it was a piece of cake. Literally did not even get touched once. Saw everything coming. Felt amazing.

What the fuckk LOL

I didn't realize you had to to TAP L1 on time to block....this whole time I've been blocking by holding L1 :/

And I'm like pretty deep into the game too lots of bosses I've beat without doing this. I didn't learn this until I had to fight the Centapiede just now LOl

Wtf dude! Hahaha... well in a way the game is gonna get easier for you?
Or a bit of time adjusting; after all it's the main gameplay element

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I had a really good day with the game today. I finally managed to beat the General with the giant spear in the tutorial area, who'd been just annihilating me for hours, took out another couple of Generals, minibosses and ROBEEEERTOOOOO. Explored what I could of Mt Kongo and the temple and got myself another full Prayer Bead necklace. Got myself that delicious health-steal-on-deathblow upgrade, too. Consolidated my investment portfolio into some very sensible, futureproof shares in coin purses. Tomorrow I'm going to try my luck at Lady Butterfly and Castle Genichiro to see if I can make some real progress.

I'm still not a huge fan of how the game feels, though, specifically in terms of the input buffer and the latency/animation priority between my inputs and what happens on screen. It's like the game can't decide whether it wants you to attack relentlessly (certain windows for punishing enemies are so short that if you haven't already input the attack command before they open up you won't make it in time) or punish you (like when enemies parry you and counterattack too fast for you to cancel into a parry). The blue samurai in Ashina Castle show this off really well: if they ever decide to parry out of one of your combo strings straight into their perilous attack lunge, you have about one quarter of a microsecond to get the Mikiri Counter at the best of times, and if you've probably already input an attack command those chances drop to zilch. I've said this before, but I would love to compare this to the PC version to see exactly how much of the game's unresponsiveness is down to the bad framerate on console.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It isnt about age, like video games is like the only thing i know off that gets me off and really angry. It is about the only thing i have a short fuse and no patience. Thats why i never get better at them as well lol. Anyway i am dropping this game now, this last boss fight is way too hard and gets my way too triggered.
Take a break. Come back tomorrow. Forget about losing XP/Sen, forget about Dragon Rot. Just focus on one stage at a time. When you get to the stage you're having trouble with, take a deep breath, take it slow, try to watch their attacks. If you die, so be it. Keep at it until you know what they're gonna do before they do it.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For the ogre, kill the enemies in the area first (there is a spear dude you need to take out near the Ogre as well, make sure to get him). Then "de-aggro" the Ogre by moving away from him and breaking line of sight (the music will stop once he has lost you). Now rush back in and do a sneak attack to take half of his health. Now you can fight him for real. If you are having trouble still, get the flamethrower from Hirata Estate (same area as Lady Butterfly, near the beginning of the level, in the town area). It is incredibly powerful against the Ogre (use Oil for extra damage as well). The game strongly hints that fire will help if you eavesdrop on the dudes near the Ogre. Also, if you need to heal, there are trees near the Ogre you can grapple too so you can safely do so (the Ogre can't climb), just don't go too far or his health will reset.

For Lady Butterfly, you mainly want to be aggressive. Dodge into R1 executes a spinning slash that will damage her Vitality, making it much easier to break her posture. Get in and close and continually spam this move until you can break her posture, then go into a deathblow. Same strategy for the second phase, but she can also summon illusions. Just use a snap seed to dispel them, or run around for awhile until they disappear (they will turn into projectiles you have to avoid this way, so watch out). only other thing to watch out for are her perilous attacks. Off you see a red symbol on-screen, just jump away. This should allow to easily avoid all of her perilous attacks in this particular fight. Mainly, the strategy for a lot of bosses in this game is to be aggressive and break their posture, as whittling down their health can be miserably slow, lol. Trying to block or dodge too much will result in them regaining posture, so just keep the pressure on, and counter or evade as needed.

Hopefully all of this helps.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Take a break. Come back tomorrow. Forget about losing XP/Sen, forget about Dragon Rot. Just focus on one stage at a time. When you get to the stage you're having trouble with, take a deep breath, take it slow, try to watch their attacks. If you die, so be it. Keep at it until you know what they're gonna do before they do it.

I have already forgot about all those things. It is my inability to do it and the huge wall in difficulty that ticks me off and triggers me. What triggers me most is actually my own inability to finish it. I am just too bad.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
For the ogre, kill the enemies in the area first (there is a spear dude you need to take out near the Ogre as well, make sure to get him). Then "de-aggro" the Ogre by moving away from him and breaking line of sight (the music will stop once he has lost you). Now rush back in and do a sneak attack to take half of his health. Now you can fight him for real. If you are having trouble still, get the flamethrower from Hirata Estate (same area as Lady Butterfly, near the beginning of the level, in the town area. It is incredibly powerful against the Ogre (use Oil for extra damage as well). The game strongly hints that fire will help if you eavesdrop on the dudes near the Ogre. Also, if you need to heal, there are trees near the Ogre you can grapple to do you can safely do so (the Ogre can't climb), just don't go too far or his health will reset.

For Lady Butterfly, you mainly want to be aggressive. Dodge into R1 executes a spinning slash that will damage her Vitality, making it much easier to break her posture. Get in and close and continually spam this move until you can break her posture, then go into a deathblow. Same strategy for the second phase, but she can also summon illusions. Just use a snap seed to dispel them, or run around for awhile until they disappear (they will turn into projectiles you have to avoid this way, so watch out). only other thing to watch out for are her perilous attacks. Off you see a red symbol on-screen, just jump away. This should allow to easily avoid all of her perilous attacks in this particular fight. Mainly, the strategy for a lot of bosses in this game is to be aggressive and break their posture, as whittling down their health can be miserably slow, lol. Trying to block or dodge too much will result in them regaining posture, so just keep the pressure on, and counter or evade as needed.

Hopefully all of this helps.
I already told him this on the last page for the Ogre, but you can get the deathblow before he even breaks free of the shackles. Just rush up on the left side of him and you'll get the marker right away. Just lead him back down the stairs a bit and you don't even have to deal with spear dude.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting
Genichiro
on the roof and it's starting to get frustrating..Can't seem to get him to phase 2 with more than 1 gourd left, and I usually have to use that to top myself off so his lightning bullshit doesn't 1 shot me. Between the cutscene at the start of each attempt and the revive/die prompts it's just irritating now. Also out of pellets so I guess I need to go farm.

I avoided all gameplay videos and spoilers to go into this, so maybe I'm just trying to play it wrong, but it's just not clicking/fun yet. Played/Beat/Loved DeS/DS1/DS2/DS3/BB/Nioh, so I want to give this a proper chance, not feeling it yet. Maybe it's that I'm fighting Samurai dude #10..even though he's a boss and not a mini-boss.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea if you let it eat you while doing the deathblow you will appear at the snake cave in the buddha valley. That's pretty cool.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Throwing your controller. Damaging your possessions. Over a video game.
Yeah, it's time to stop

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm still not a huge fan of how the game feels, though, specifically in terms of the input buffer and the latency/animation priority between my inputs and what happens on screen. It's like the game can't decide whether it wants you to attack relentlessly (certain windows for punishing enemies are so short that if you haven't already input the attack command before they open up you won't make it in time) or punish you (like when enemies parry you and counterattack too fast for you to cancel into a parry). The blue samurai in Ashina Castle show this off really well: if they ever decide to parry out of one of your combo strings straight into their perilous attack lunge, you have about one quarter of a microsecond to get the Mikiri Counter at the best of times, and if you've probably already input an attack command those chances drop to zilch. I've said this before, but I would love to compare this to the PC version to see exactly how much of the game's unresponsiveness is down to the bad framerate on console.
On PC the input buffer is the biggest problem IMO (well that and the camera). IMO DkS III is the more polished of FROM recent games (the game is slower than BB and Sekiro so the input buffer doesn't feel as punishing/unfair), obviously talking about the PC version. DkS I has even more problems but the game is so slow that you won't mash buttons often. Maybe the worst of all in this regard is BB, being exclusive to console really hurts the overall experience and the half-step they did into being an action game (Sekiro thankfully does the full step) does not bode well with the inconsistent hitboxes and bad input-buffer/framepacing.

Even so I agree that Sekiro feels less responsive than, Ninja Gaiden for example, and that FROM should up their game in the technical aspects for their next game (that hopefully will be even more action-oriented, I really want a Sekiro 2 more than anything else from them after finishing it).

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about the last boss the more I love this fight.

Genichiro-kun was all about teaching you to parry and to keep up the momentum. It also started teaching you to be aggressive and get into real matches with the bosses. Owl-sensei was all about un-learning that and being able to adapt to various patterns of boss behavior, not to expect pure swordplay (and Ape-chan did a lot to prepare you for that fight). Hatred-san develops this idea by giving you a new type of boss with much broader attacks, AOE attack and you're again forced to adapt to that and to adjust your play style. And finally Isshin-sama just puts all of that together. There are ALL types of attacks in this fight : pure swordplay (but more varied than anything you've seen so far), trick attacks (fucking guns, Jesus Christ), there's the highest speed of attacks, there are the longest combos, there's constant varied timing mikiris, there are AOE attacks, there are spear attacks which can catch you half way across the arena... So it forces you to adapt again, to go into the fight not only with your muscle memory of other boss fights, but to mix it all and see through his attacks to instantly recognise what's coming at you and think how to react back. Maybe I'm taking it a tad far and once I fight him on subsequent playthroughs I'll evaluate the fight differently, but it feels like it's the most intellectual one in the game (maybe any From game?). You can't just get into a rhythm and rely on timing, you have to constantly think about what you're seeing and what's the best response. While I played on pure instinct, rushing into attacks, I failed all the time. When I slowed down just enough to not get locked into animations (another thing to constantly think about) and tried to understand what's coming at me (instead just presuming it's a sword or spear slash which should be parried) it feels like I started improving. But at the same time, I feel like what Isshin is saying during the fight ("Hesitation is defeat") is really a clue for the players. You have to trust your judgement and execute it as soon as you've made a decision or you'll fail. Lightning attacks were the best instance of that to me : each time I stop for a split second to think if I should dodge through it, run away or reverse it, I die. The moment I started recognising that Isshin is going for a lightning attack, I just dodge to him trusting myself that I'm gonna be safe and bam, I'm free to attack him.
God this was soo good, so perfect, so demanding. I'm absolutely in love with this game and this fight.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I already told him this on the last page for the Ogre, but you can get the deathblow before he even breaks free of the shackles. Just rush up on the left side of him and you'll get the marker right away. Just lead him back down the stairs a bit and you don't even have to deal with spear dude.
Ah, missed your post. Also, didn't know you could deathblow him while chained up, cool!

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never realised how powerful deflect to counter was. Easily the most effective way to fight I have seen so far.

Just attack, deflect, counter, deflect, counter. Maybe you will need to mikiri or enemy step a few times as well if the enemy changes up but it negates even the fastest of posture regain of everything I have face so far. Not sure if it works on headless.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is fun for a few hours but it's kind of bullshit after that. The skill system seems very uneven and trash enemy density is waaaaaaay too much. That alone robs you of any real feeling of victory the way dark souls did so the game feels like a chore after a while rather than an experience of doing a bit better each time and progressing a little further. If this was tuned a bit better I'd think it was a master piece. As it stands it feels like a lot of people are giving Sekiro a pass because of the developer's pedigree and because some people think if it's super hard it must be good.
Nah, this game is amazing, probably Froms best. Combat is sublime and so are most of the boss fights. DS3 and BB werr way harder for me anyway