• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the final boss on NG+ without Kuro's Charm. What a ride! It was so fun learning how to perfectly deflect every boss in that playthrough I think I enjoyed it more than my first.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Early game, but Juzou the drunkard is wrecking me
For Juzou, use stealth or hit and run tactics to take out all the dudes near him, until he is on his own. Then de-aggro him by breaking line of sight and moving some distance away, then sneak up and do a Seattle from behind to take half his health. Now, with Juzou following you (don't de-aggro him again or he will regain his health) find the NPC in the area (he is directly across from Jizou's starting position) and talk to him, then mash through his dialogue. Now he will help you fight Juzou. Now simply stab Juzou's was while he focuses on the other dude. If he turns to you, just back off until he focuses on the NPC again. Easy way to beat him.

Oct 25, 2017
Well said

512x512bb.jpg

It's very noticeable, although I thought I was just being too critical or rigid in my expectations, since I didn't know he was not the writer for most of it.

So is he writing something else? Or just focused on other aspects of Sekiro personally?

He was the game director for Sekiro, and very hands on at that, he just decided to let the writing for someone else because they wanted to tell a more direct story this time, and he doesn't think that plays to his strengths. It's reasonable, but maybe they chose the wrong writer. I'd take dialogue that doesn't sound like what two normal people would say to each other over having a bland world.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This game is fun for a few hours but it's kind of bullshit after that. The skill system seems very uneven and trash enemy density is waaaaaaay too much. That alone robs you of any real feeling of victory the way dark souls did so the game feels like a chore after a while rather than an experience of doing a bit better each time and progressing a little further. If this was tuned a bit better I'd think it was a master piece. As it stands it feels like a lot of people are giving Sekiro a pass because of the developer's pedigree and because some people think if it's super hard it must be good.
Nah, this game is amazing, probably Froms best. Combat is sublime and so are most of the boss fights. DS3 and BB werr way harder for me anyway
Super interesting how different people's perception of the difficulty is. Food me, this is definitely the hardest From game, and I have struggled more than in any Souls game. However, still enjoying myself immensely. :)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
God this was soo good, so perfect, so demanding. I'm absolutely in love with this game and this fight.
Agreed, it can be the best final boss from MIyazaki games:

-False King was good in DeS, and the soulsucker skill made him really terrifying, but it was fairly easy to kill if using light armor.
-Gwyn was an intense fight and a "fast" boss was something hard to fight in DkS I, but it was also really easy to exploit (parries, iron flesh works wonders against him).
-Gehrman was like fighting a strong "normal" hunter, but having a fight against a "small" enemy means no fighting against the camera, and the music was really good. A good fight after lots of "big enemy bad camera" fights.
-Soul of Cinder was far better than any previous Souls boss IMO, it has the best lore and a really crazy moveset. Again, normal-sized enemy in a empty arena is what this games benefits the most from. Sadly is kind of easy.
-Sekiro's final boss highly rewards not running and being all the time on the offensive/counter-attack position. He recovers posture really slowly so it's not another fight of endurance, it's about making a string of good decisions. And it's really rewarding.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last boss is pretty hard. Don't really like these kind of long fights, the "beginning" is just pointless time waste. First phase is getting better and better and almost got to last phase too. Feels like this is something I just have to try for like 15-30min, break and try again later. No use to smash head against the wall for hours straight as focus is just going to go down each try.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Mid game spoilers, possible hint at next game.
Armoured bridge dude (Roberts dad) a hint at a return to knights, swords and shields? He seems like the only out of place thing in the entire game.

Oct 27, 2017
I started a new playthrough because reasons and it feels somewhat easier now. I was afraid of fighting Lady Butterfly but I killed her on my second try.

Now, I still have to fight Genichiro and I'm very scared.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's one of my favourites,because the way it played out for me. After just about finishing him off last time, this time it was a piece of cake. Literally did not even get touched once. Saw everything coming. Felt amazing.

Wtf dude! Hahaha... well in a way the game is gonna get easier for you?
Or a bit of time adjusting; after all it's the main gameplay element

Yeah this just opened my eyes lol. Now the Ginchiro fight is gonna be hella easy...I hope

Oct 25, 2017
What Demon's Soul connections?

Well here we have clear references to blood and even the sculptor says that his arm had to be cut off in order to prevent him to go crazy. I still have not finished the game, but everything seems to be referencing BB

There are many many more references. To the point where I'm suspicious, too, and I never bought into the whole "shared timeline" theories, always thought it was crazy nonsense, but this game shares way too much with Bloodborne.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Early game, but Juzou the drunkard is wrecking me
Thin out his mob crew as much as you can (take guys out on bridge, another when you approach From there, run around the area and just focus on the mob crew and avoid Juzou. He's slow and easy to avoid). Once you have all the goons out, run to an NPC standing by near a rock. He will help you fight Juzou. The fight becomes very easy and spammy after that.

Also, the NPC can be included at any point but if he's killed, that's it. So I would recommend saving him specifically for Juzou.

late game boss essential tips by Jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the deflect strategy is that he constantly overwhelms you and just breaks your guard. Unless you're literally PERFECT, he's going to kill you by just punching through your Posture.

Here's a protip, loud and clear, for you or anyone else:

USE
DOUBLE
ICHIMONJI

This move is so OP and so much more useful than anything else in the game it's absolutely ridiculous. You simultaneously deal posture damage while recovering your own posture. I honestly can't believe Ichimonji (single and double) is the only combat art in the game that works that way. It renders every other combat art in the game worthless in terms of actual usefulness, especially against bosses.

And here's another protip if you or anyone else is still having issues recovering your own posture:

PUTTING YOUR GUARD UP
MAKES YOU RECOVER
POSTURE MUCH QUICKER

And a last one:

AGAINST BOSSES
USE FIRECRACKERS
BEFORE HEALING

Last edited:

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a protip, loud and clear:

USE
DOUBLE
ICHIMONJI

This movie is so OP and so much more useful than anything else in the game it's absolutely ridiculous. You simultaneously deal posture damage while recovering your own posture.

And if for some reason you don't have or don't want to use ichimonji, that boss gives you plenty of time to put your guard up, which makes you recover posture really quickly.

Preach. Best combat skill in the game, IMHO.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
That lone shadow swordsman with his ally the f camera....

lol, I just came to post about exactly this. It's the one:

In the same well where you start at the beginning of the game, right?

I feel like you either get a good RNG roll where you can take him out in like ten seconds you're just going to get destroyed by the camera every single time. His first combo will back you into a corner, the camera won't be able to deal with it, your lock-on will probably break altogether and decide to point in some random direction, and then he'll annihilate you from off-screen while you're trying to find him again. Like clockwork. Genuinely some of the worst camera-related fuckery I've ever seen in an action game.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm rocking through new games plus partly because of my over powered stats but also because I'm generally so much better than I was

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never realised how powerful deflect to counter was. Easily the most effective way to fight I have seen so far.

Just attack, deflect, counter, deflect, counter. Maybe you will need to mikiri or enemy step a few times as well if the enemy changes up but it negates even the fastest of posture regain of everything I have face so far. Not sure if it works on headless.

The game becomes even easier when you realize that you can attack the enemy till the golden sparks fly for them and they you just have to deflect and repeat everything. Those fights that feel different are the exact same thing except that you have to learn how to dodge their Kanji attacks which always open ups free hits. Mastering deflects makes the game easy mode.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
lol, I just came to post about exactly this. It's the one:

In the same well where you start at the beginning of the game, right?

I feel like you either get a good RNG roll where you can take him out in like ten seconds you're just going to get destroyed by the camera every single time. His first combo will back you into a corner, the camera won't be able to deal with it, your lock-on will probably break altogether and decide to point in some random direction, and then he'll annihilate you from off-screen while you're trying to find him again. Like clockwork. Genuinely some of the worst camera-related fuckery I've ever seen in an action game.

lol yes.

I killed him spamming the axe, he gets stunnlocked pretty consistently then. I don't even feel bad cheesing these enemies. I'm such a casual lol

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game becomes even easier when you realize that you can attack the enemy till the golden sparks fly for them and they you just have to deflect and repeat everything. Those fights that feel different are the exact same thing except that you have to learn how to dodge their Kanji attacks which always open ups free hits. Mastering deflects makes the game easy mode.

I had deflect down pretty much from the beginning but always was trying to force them into the block for posture damage then deflect without immediately countering.

Will take note of the attack sparks next and see how that goes. It is something I have ignored.

Oct 29, 2017

USE
DOUBLE
ICHIMONJI

This movie is so OP and so much more useful than anything else in the game it's absolutely ridiculous. You simultaneously deal posture damage while recovering your own posture. I honestly can't believe Ichimonji (single and double) is the only combat art in the game that works that way. It renders every other combat art in the game worthless in terms of actual usefulness, especially against bosses.

And here's another protip if you or anyone else is still having issues recovering your own posture:

PUTTING YOUR GUARD UP
MAKES YOU RECOVER
POSTURE MUCH QUICKER

And a last one:

AGAINST BOSSES
USE FIRECRACKERS
BEFORE HEALING
I fully endorse these pro-tips

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had deflect down pretty much from the beginning but always was trying to force them into the block for posture damage then deflect without immediately countering.

Will take note of the attack sparks next and see how that goes. It is something I have ignored.

It's the one thing people miss in this game and which makes the game way easier if you notice them, because as soon as it sparks you can always just block/deflect or await their Kenji attack if you know their patterns. As soon as I realized that in the first Boss battle where you need that in the Castle I ran through everything with ease.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Haha English VO and a certain boss on a horse just presented himself.

giphy.webp

I also tried playing with the eng dub for my NG + run.

I turned it back to JP shorty after. It's so bad. What's hilarious is that everyone's grunts and noises are still in the original japanese voices which makes it wired as fuck. I wonder if it's like that for every dub.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Wonder why FROM felt the need to make a pul in Sunken valley with so many ennemies the framerate tanks heavily on ps4 pro and they offer no challenge and no xp.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

USE
DOUBLE
ICHIMONJI

This movie is so OP and so much more useful than anything else in the game it's absolutely ridiculous. You simultaneously deal posture damage while recovering your own posture. I honestly can't believe Ichimonji (single and double) is the only combat art in the game that works that way. It renders every other combat art in the game worthless in terms of actual usefulness, especially against bosses.

PUTTING YOUR GUARD UP
MAKES YOU RECOVER
POSTURE MUCH QUICKER

And a last one:

AGAINST BOSSES
USE FIRECRACKERS
BEFORE HEALING
Yep, Double Ichimonji is OP in this game. It's startup time is far longer than most other skills, but when it hits it can cancel most enemy attacks, do good posture damage and restore your posture. Once you understand which attacks leave an opponent open for a D.Icihomnji, you have a big advantatge in the fight.

It's good too against enemies that guard a lot (Gen-chan for example) because it breaks their guards and they never react to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it.
I dunno, that last boss didn't seem that hard. Tho the last phase wasn't a very heroic act, just deflecting his jump attacks, getting one hit in, repeat. Sometimes Miriki counter, get one hit in etc. until his health is low enough that his posture doesn't regenerate quickly enough.
Never managed to deflect his stupid
lightning attacks
, is there any tell when he's about to do those?

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
As someone who just played all FROM games excluding DeS for the first time starting in 2019, this game is indeed a masterpiece. The combat, level design and some of the boss fights are the pinnacle of gaming experiences. However, in my opinion this game put so much effort in quality that it's quantity stuck out like a sore thumb. Less bosses and areas than any other FROM game. I loved the minibosses (especially the unique ones) but they eventually are just stronger generic enemies and I would've liked more bosses and areas to explore. I have no other complaints. DLC will make this game go on the Forever List for me.

For those that are finding it difficult, it isn't if you take the time to get used to the mechanics, parrying blocking jumping dodging attacking and prosthetics are all important in EVERY fight. You got this.

PS I found the Shura ending boss the hardest (35 ish tries), but I feel like it's solely because I played it first so after I had such a strong understanding of the game mechanics that all bosses after were quite easy (8 tries at most)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I also tried playing with the eng dub for my NG + run.

I turned it back to JP shorty after. It's so bad. What's hilarious is that everyone's grunts and noises are still in the original japanese voices which makes it wired as fuck. I wonder if it's like that for every dub.

Funny, I feel the opposite. I think the English dub is pretty good and prefer certain voices over the JP voices. Like, I prefer English Owl and English Divine Heir, to name a few.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
However, in my opinion this game put so much effort in quality that it's quantity stuck out like a sore thumb. Less bosses and areas than any other FROM game.
Yep, but on the other hand the areas feel more complex and interconnected, it's IMO the best in this regard since DkS I. DkS III and BB felt more linear. Sekiro has both complex and big areas and good interconnection between the areas, so IMO it has the best of the two worlds.

Also the constant change between normals mobs and minibosses makes the game feel better paced and more intense.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So, how fucked am I?

Got into NG+, had all skills in Ashina Tree.
Got the scroll from Tengu.
Now one of the skills in the Mushin Skill Tree is locked out, even though I own both Mastered Combat Arts.....

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Yep, but on the other hand the areas feel more complex and interconnected, it's IMO the best in this regard since DkS I. DkS III and BB felt more linear. Sekiro has both complex and big areas and good interconnection between the areas, so IMO it has the best of the two worlds.

Also the constant change between normals mobs and minibosses makes the game feel better paced and more intense.
Agreed. I believe I mentioned level design was phenomenal and I thought the same way you did. I just felt like I got to the choice for which ending and felt like I wanted that to be the first third. Give me more FROM! DLC with some more difficult fights.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Lmao this final boss

get thru first phase just fine, second phase is a little challenging, then the spear comes out and it's all over

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i'm kind of overwhelmed - there seems to be at least four paths i can take after
blazing bull

which one do i take?!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I can't help but wonder if Miyazaki should have adopted the tried and true Action game design of getting a new weapons directly from defeating the bosses.

Imagine getting Butterfly's kunai or Gyoubu's spear on the spot as actual weapons instead of getting them as optional upgrades later down the line.

I had no problems with just having the Katana as a weapon, provided they actually give it a lot of viable movesets, but since they're just going to give it a basic moveset, I would have rather more weapon types of various basic movesets.