• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Still stuck on Double Headless (I know it's optional).

This is the trashiest, cheapest garbage I've experienced in this game thus far. Some tries I go in and die instantly as soon as I get close, like I haven't even got out of the swimming animation to even get one swing in before I'm insta-dead from the homing crap, and I've tried timing it to get there between attacks, and this is with using a pacifying agent before I go under, saving the purple gourd for when needed. There will be no satisfaction when (if?!) I get past this, just sourness that they made an encounter this cheap and shitty.
Omg lol
I beat this boss without realizing there was an extra one? Now that I think about it I did see two beings there and after the fight I was looking for the other one. I didn't find it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
For the underwater dudes, I just used my jab attack (hold attack button) to zoom in then circle to zoom out to a safe spot. If you strafe by spamming circle you can zoom around and not get hit by the tracking terror bullets.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
do i am less of a man if i use the mega cheese strategy for the
DoH?

If it's the cliff thing, I don't think so. Honestly, I felt more accomplishment having done that than killing
Father Owl

Took me some good 30 minutes to figure out how to climb the tower and make the jump.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's the cliff thing, I don't think so. Honestly, I felt more accomplishment having done that than killing
Father Owl

Took me some good 30 minutes to figure out how to climb the tower and make the jump.

dont tell me that, i havent being able to defeat
Father Owl :(

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Jan 10, 2018
My process during every boss fight:

1. Have a rather promising start where I manage to put up a fight.

2. Starts to get worse the more I focus on looking for openings.

3. Shift my focus from winning to just learning the movesets.

4. Brain has a meltdown and becomes inable to respond correctly to unblockable attacks.

5. Rage mode engages and everything is just a sloppy mess.

6. Gather myself and try to stay calm.

7. 10 more tries of doing that with no success.

8. Starts going to youtube to look for guides.

9. Discovers a cheese and has no shame in using it.

10. Can still not beat the boss because what looked easy on the video is hard in reality.

11. Loses grip of reality. Why am I doing this? Why was I brought here to suffer? Is there an end to this madness?

12. Looks at clock and realizes 3 hours have gone by.

13. Time for bed... Or am I already sleeping? Is this a nightmare?

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was worried that a Future Press guide for this was going to go the route that their Nioh guide did... and it looks like it might. Set to come out on the 15th, it is now showing the 30th. Same thing happened with their Nioh guide. Kept getting pushed back and then eventually they finally confirmed it was cancelled.

At this point I am nearly done with my first playthrough, but I still love their guides for the Souls games and was looking forward to flipping through this on my NG+ run. Really hope it still comes out, but like I said, I was skeptical it was ever coming out to begin with and even said as much (I did this to myself!) when the preorder link was shared in the Previews thread =(

Hope it's just delayed!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Still stuck on Double Headless (I know it's optional).

This is the trashiest, cheapest garbage I've experienced in this game thus far. Some tries I go in and die instantly as soon as I get close, like I haven't even got out of the swimming animation to even get one swing in before I'm insta-dead from the homing crap, and I've tried timing it to get there between attacks, and this is with using a pacifying agent before I go under, saving the purple gourd for when needed. There will be no satisfaction when (if?!) I get past this, just sourness that they made an encounter this cheap and shitty.

Go to tree idol, walk out on long branch. Use Confetti and pacifying agent and dive in. Immediately swim to the the weaker one with only one health bar. Swim behind and just spam R1. If you took damage or terror, use healing and purple gourd. Go the second headless and fight identical to the solo underwater headless from before.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd
Seven spears
was even easier than the first. The second time a puppet has trivialized a mini boss encounter for me.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

4. Brain has a meltdown and becomes inable to respond correctly to unblockable attacks.

10. Can still not beat the boss because what looked easy on the video is hard in reality.

11. Loses grip of reality. Why am I doing this? Why was I brought here to suffer? Is there an end to this madness?

I laughed so hard, thanks for this post.

Bolded part is is pretty much my take from the game.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Yooo I just noticed in one of the endings

When sekiro stabs Owl, he's holding the black Open Gate mortal blade that Genichiro got. How does it have it?

I wondered that, too, and after looking around, someone pointed out in the Shura ending, the item Owl places by Isshin's body is possibly Genichiro's head. Did Owl somehow kill Genichiro to get it while you were fighting the Shura ending bosses?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the game last night, by the skin of my teeth. I used up all my gourd healing, pellets, and even a Divine Grass, but I got him.
Isshin Sword Saint
isn't so bad, though. I copied off my save first, so I'm going to go back and give him a proper thrashing. I won't need that much healing again.

Looking back, it's funny, but the mini-bosses are harder than the bosses, except for their lower health. The bosses are a grind, but I think most of then telegraph their moves much more than several mini-bosses do.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

This was great haha.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I beat bosses in step 7 or in step 14: Try again the next day and beat the boss in two attempts.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered that, too, and after looking around, someone pointed out in the Shura ending, the item Owl places by Isshin's body is possibly Genichiro's head. Did Owl somehow kill Genichiro to get it while you were fighting the Shura ending bosses?

I think you're right,that's the only way it could have gone UNLESS Owl happened to find it first this time, somehow, which I doubt. Wonder how he is managing to have it unsheathed though (assuming it has the same curse as the Red Mortal blade)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't take 60 seconds, the jumps can take long ass time. It can take less time to beat the boss legit lol when I was frustrated I tried this and couldn't make it so I said fuck it and tried the legit way and beat him easily.

Yeah, I saw this same cheese technique for the earlier boss in that area, before DoH was there in my game. Out of curiosity, I tried climbing up and making that jump, and couldn't do it.

When I did get to DoH, he wasn't so hard. I might never have pulled off that jump.

Oct 25, 2017
This piece of cut content pretty much explains all of the references that were bugging me:

Mibu was in fact once a direct reference to Bloodborne. It's no coincidence at all.

But the direct references to both Bloodborne and Lovecraft were changed, probably because they didn't want people speculating it was in the same universe, exactly like Gascoigne saying Umbasa in the Bloodborne alpha.

But what remained in the game was still enough for me and many others to still speculate that Bloodborne and Sekiro are in the same universe, LUL.

Yep, for sure. Take a look at this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/bb8zuu/some_notes_i_compiled_on_the_real_history_of_the/

According to the writer, the real life inspiration for Genichiro was Ashina Moritaka, who was assassinated by Ōba Sanzaemon. Owl says his real name in the Shura ending, which is Uzui Ukonzaemon. This is no coincidence.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

LMFAO!

That's almost exactly how I feel!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh shit what
I'll need to re-watch that ending, I missed this (the part I bolded)

I did notice
that Wolf was holding the black blade though and I found that odd.

Yep, for sure. Take a look at this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/bb8zuu/some_notes_i_compiled_on_the_real_history_of_the/

According to the writer, the real life inspiration for Genichiro was Ashina Moritaka, who was assassinated by Ōba Sanzaemon. Owl says his real name in the Shura ending, which is Uzui Ukonzaemon. This is no coincidence.
Wow this is a great find.

The last part in the Reddit post is totally stuff in Nioh too, I recognize all of those names (Iknowsomeofthesewords.gif). :3

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Final boss down! Actually it was not as hard as described... Hardest boss for me were some minibosses! Snake eyes in particular!
Cant wait to start ng+

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
That's a cool approach, I never thought to use that or realized that would stop the terror. I'm sure that's quicker.

To be honest though, you really don't need to use any prosthetic tools to beat him. My initial runs I used firecrackers, but then felt like it was a waste anyway. In Phase 1, just learning his attacks and parrying and dodging is really not that difficult. He opens himself to a ton of damage if you parry and dodge around him. And I and others have described a careful, but longer, approach to taking him out in Phase 2 without much difficulty. Your approach sounds faster for Phase 2 though and I will try it next time.
I had trouble getting out of the terror radius tbh

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I'm stuck. I just got to Ashina Castle proper over the moat. I unlocked the crypt statue to fight that blue light thing (haven't attempted), the one on the left that leads to the seven Ashina Spears guy at the moon tower. I can't for the life of me beat this guy. As far as the dream goes, I went around and finished the drunken dude, but idk where to go next. Spear wielding enemies are the worst. So much range and some moves that have such short animations.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm stuck. I just got to Ashina Castle proper over the moat. I unlocked the crypt statue to fight that blue light thing (haven't attempted), the one on the left that leads to the seven Ashina Spears guy at the moon tower. I can't for the life of me beat this guy. As far as the dream goes, I went around and finished the drunken dude, but idk where to go next. Spear wielding enemies are the worst. So much range and some moves that have such short animations.

You can cheese
Seven Spears if you like. Sneak in the house from the side like you did in the beginning of the game, then death blow from behind. Then jump off the stairs to the left. As he starts down the stairs jump and hit him. He'll stay on the stairs and you are free to jump and hit as you like. If you stay right up against the stairs he should miss you with all attacks unless you jump at a bad time.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of all the punches in the face this game gave me, I'll not understand why people found Seven Spears hard.

That fucker in the well was 20x worse.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
They should've had a balloon for XP instead of rez power. Getting a new rez takes like five seconds.
Yeah it's pretty useless.

I am nearing the end of playthrough #4/NG+++, and I still have 5 points left for the last skill (I stupidly wasted 5 points on 1 ATK power in NG.... regrets). I probably won't make it by playing naturally, but we'll see. No way I'm farming, even if it's the last "achievement" I need.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I had trouble getting out of the terror radius tbh

Yeah my approach was just to stay back, 2 hits after jumping over swim move and then jump away like hell, and 4 hits after sword drop move opening and jump away like hell.

I'd still get some terror build up, but more like 10-20% health hits when I did get caught on my way out.

Its safe and effective, but slow.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah it's pretty useless.

I am nearing the end of playthrough #4/NG+++, and I still have 5 points left for the last skill (I stupidly wasted 5 points on 1 ATK power in NG.... regrets). I probably won't make it by playing naturally, but we'll see. No way I'm farming, even if it's the last "achievement" I need.
Don't blame you. I need 4 more skill points. The next one is 72000 xp :/

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
The game is finally clicking. Stealth, combat, deflecting... I'm getting the hang of everything, finally! Portions with regular enemies are taking 10th of the time they used when I first started playing.

Feels so gooooood.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I have the
2 Apes
coming up tonight based on what I've heard. I wonder if the
prosethic finger thing
from the first fight is helpful for that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I guess I can stop playing the game. After like 20+ tries of trying to beat the first ogre mini boss and still not being able to do it (that's with the flame tool...).
Eh.. why this game gives me so much trouble compared to the other From games is beyond me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can stop playing the game. After like 20+ tries of trying to beat the first ogre mini boss and still not being able to do it (that's with the flame tool...).
Eh.. why this game gives me so much trouble compared to the other From games is beyond me.
You just need to adjust your timing of dodges. You can't spam roll like in Souls and he tracks your dodge unless its perfectly timed. His non grab attacks are super easy to deflect/dodge. If you absolutely have to, just attack him when he does a big jump move and run away until he does it again.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You just need to adjust your timing of dodges. You can't spam roll like in Souls and he tracks your dodge unless its perfectly timed. His non grab attacks are super easy to deflect/dodge. If you absolutely have to, just attack him when he does a big jump move and run away until he does it again.
I can dodge him just fine. I just don't get the damage in in time to be able to break his posture. First time is pretty easy with the flame tool, but second time, nope :-/
It just feels unnecessarily hard and the tools restrictive. I never felt that flimsy in other From games.