• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can dodge him just fine. I just don't get the damage in in time to be able to break his posture. First time is pretty easy with the flame tool, but second time, nope :-/
It just feels unnecessarily hard and the tools restrictive. I never felt that flimsy in other From games.
You have certain things that can make it a bit easier like the Ako sugar or going to another area to get a "Memory" to increase your attack. I will say that path is way harder than just taking out the ogre though. You need to focus on getting his vitality to roughly half and then deflecting to get his posture damage up. I would save some emblems to use fire on both health bars. You could also use a Gaachin's sugar to run along the right side of the stairs up to where he's tied up and get in a stealth blow if you do it just right.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I know that no one dies for getting dragon rot, but when should I cure them? Is there any guide for "points of no return" to heal NPCs and don't miss any step of the quests?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the punches in the face this game gave me, I'll not understand why people found Seven Spears hard.

That fucker in the well was 20x worse.

It's fascinating to me how varied the results are for people's difficulty with bosses in this game. I never got the impression that it was so different in the Souls games. It always seemed like there were consensus picks for which ones were hardest.

For example, Well Guy took me 2 tries. Seven Spears took me at least 30. He was the hardest stopping point in the game, for me, harder than any boss. And not just 30 straight tries. I gave up doing it on my own and consulted YouTube, but couldn't pull off the fight with recommended strategies (fireworks, jumping on his head), either. I gave up on that, and consulted "how to cheese" videos, and couldn't replicate those, either. Eventually, I found my own cheese method (same thing, really, just a different spot). I was happy to run into him again late in the game, thinking I'd thrash him after all that experience, and he still gave me an embarrassing amount of trouble.

We should make a list of all the bosses and mini-bosses, and everyone put a number of tries on each.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I know that no one dies for getting dragon rot, but when should I cure them? Is there any guide for "points of no return" to heal NPCs and don't miss any step of the quests?

Heal them if you run into any who won't do something (side quest). Or just do it after any big boss that killed you a lot (and gave you more rot notices), before you hit another, where you might die a lot. That's what I did.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Collected my last ending, only achievement left is to get the last few skills. Decided to try NG+4 charmless for the hell of it.

This is hell. I do not enjoy this.

Oct 27, 2017
So, for people having trouble with the last bosses I really recommend investing into attack power over some of the skills, especially if you don't care for the platinum trophy.
I haven't entered NG+ yet. I did my Ashina Outskirt farming run on NG and pumped my attack power up to 16.
Now those red royal guards go down in 3 hits even when they're blocking. Wonder how much difference this would've made on the final boss.

I know that this only prolongs the grind for skills, but you can do late game farming in NG+ for even more XP and more attack power will also speed up the whole run.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
The game is finally clicking. Stealth, combat, deflecting... I'm getting the hang of everything, finally! Portions with regular enemies are taking 10th of the time they used when I first started playing.

Feels so gooooood.
Where are you? Just to know when people are hooked from this. I am at gyoubu oniwa but the difficulty is setting me off

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So, for people having trouble with the last bosses I really recommend investing into attack power over some of the skills, especially if you don't care for the platinum trophy.
I haven't entered NG+ yet. I did my Ashina Outskirt farming run on NG and pumped my attack power up to 16.
Now those red royal guards go down in 3 hits even when they're blocking. Wonder how much difference this would've made on the final boss.

I know that this only prolongs the grind for skills, but you can do late game farming in NG+ for even more XP and more attack power will also speed up the whole run.
Its really not that much extra exp. The best farming spot I can find in late game ashina outskirts would take me like 3-4 hours of continuous grinding to get all the skills. Its fucking ridiculous. The best way to do it is just speedrun the game to NG+7 and farm then.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about getting this. I generally enjoy fighting through levels to progress through a game more than boss fights, though, so is this the wrong game for me? I never finished Bloodborne because I just sucked at parrying there. I now have a new tv without the dreadful input lag my old one gave me, though, and I quite enjoyed fighting valkyries in GoW4 with a low level Kratos. My first one took 4 hours and I was basically asleep when I started, but I just couldn't stop. So a dose of challenge sounds intriguing, but only if the basic fights are fun, not if all the challenge comes from learning esoteric attack patterns for arbitrary stages in boss fights where you whack them for hours and die in a few hits.

Oct 27, 2017
Its really not that much extra exp. The best farming spot I can find in late game ashina outskirts would take me like 3-4 hours of continuous grinding to get all the skills. Its fucking ridiculous. The best way to do it is just speedrun the game to NG+7 and farm then.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Ashira Outskirts gives me 4000XP in less than two minutes on NG. If you want to get the plat you'll have to do 2 playthroughs anyways and you can make that second playthrough substantially easier/faster by farming for attack power first and skills later on.

My math skills are shit, but I assume the XP growth-rate for skill-points is around 5%? On NG+ I assume the XP you get from the same enemies is a little bit higher than that , so it's pretty obvious that this strategy is the way to go.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting this. I generally enjoy fighting through levels to progress through a game more than boss fights, though, so is this the wrong game for me? I never finished Bloodborne because I just sucked at parrying there. I now have a new tv without the dreadful input lag my old one gave me, though, and I quite enjoyed fighting valkyries in GoW4 with a low level Kratos. My first one took 4 hours and I was basically asleep when I started, but I just couldn't stop. So a dose of challenge sounds intriguing, but only if the basic fights are fun, not if all the challenge comes from learning esoteric attack patterns for arbitrary stages in boss fights where you whack them for hours and die in a few hits.

Yeah you might like it. The boss fights in Sekiro are more like the Valkyries than Bloodborne bosses but you have less tools at your disposal and it's more focused on parry, that works more like your standard action game parry with a large window than the slow exposed style parry.

There are many enemies that can kill you in one hit but that usually happens if you do the wrong move such as dodge rather than parry or jump.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally.... finished. I was going to say this was the first FROM Software game I've platniumed but then I forgot that I totally did Plat Dark Souls 3 back when it released. Great game. Hooopefully there is DLC?
D4Od5LKXkAA3jcA.jpg

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on how early you confront her. She's near impossible if you face her as early as you can.

Yeah, I think this was my problem.
Came back hours later, more exploring, more insight, and beat her.

Game is funny on how you can interpret it's feedback on how you're doing. Like, I beat Gen's
1st, pre-lighting form
on my very first try! ….now I'm stuck on the 2nd part, lol

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I beat Lady Butterfly on my first attempt. I kind of wonder if i just somehow fluked it the way everyone else talks about her. The guy on the horse gave me a harder time.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Lady Butterfly on my first attempt. I kind of wonder if i just somehow fluked it the way everyone else talks about her. The guy on the horse gave me a harder time.

How much someone explores beforehand affects it a lot. If you go straight through Hirana Estate soon as you unlock it and nothing else it's going to be significantly harder.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had to laugh when I came across the FOURTH fight with drunk mini-boss, absolutely shameless recycling in this game!

He absolutely trashed me several times and I only scraped by using all 10 estus, 3 pellets and a divine grass. How the F. am I getting worse at this game?! lol I killed #2 and 3 first try, I'm literally getting worse!

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys really having problems getting enough XP ? I had nearly enough by the end of NG+4 (You need to do the game 4 times anyway for all endings if going for the plat, unless your save scumming :P), and at that point some of the enemies around Ashina gave huge amounts of XP, I really didn't have to farm for it at all.

Also whats this about -

Owl putting Genishiro's head next to Ashina? Watched the Shura ending again and yeah, he puts something next to him, but cant see shit? The game seemingly does not want to show a beheaded head at all (Like I thought the final blow on SS would have done).

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh when I came across the FOURTH fight with drunk mini-boss, absolutely shameless recycling in this game!

He absolutely trashed me several times and I only scraped by using all 10 estus, 3 pellets and a divine grass. How the F. am I getting worse at this game?! lol I killed #2 and 3 first try, I'm literally getting worse!
He has
an armor the 4th time around, using spear to rip off his armor
would've made his health go down much faster

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
After spending some more time with the game and reading this thread, I think my time with the game is nearing its end. I had already accepted based on pre-release chatter that I wouldn't be beating the final boss, and the multitude of people in here saying they've spent days on him just affirms that decision. The more I look at what's left ahead of me though... the less I want to play. I've been having a pretty good time with Sekiro, but I don't really want my experience with the game to end in a rage quit.

DoH, H-less, and Shichimen3 all just sound like the biggest drag ever. I'm probably going to clean up all of the rest of the mini-bosses, then go back to Hirata for my own personal finale.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
part of the fun of the game is realizing that there's a "recommended" order but the game allows you to overcome it anyway

for example, i fought the chained ogre without fire, cause i hadn't gone to hirata yet. i didn't realize you were supposed to use the fire on him, but he wasn't hard for me anyway.
i accessed senpou temple, abandoned dungeon, depths, etc all before fighting genichiro on top of the castle too.

i also fought gyoubu without firecracker cause even though there's that horse mourner guy i had no idea how to get it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
After spending some more time with the game and reading this thread, I think my time with the game is nearing its end. I had already accepted based on pre-release chatter that I wouldn't be beating the final boss, and the multitude of people in here saying they've spent days on him just affirms that decision. The more I look at what's left ahead of me though... the less I want to play. I've been having a pretty good time with Sekiro, but I don't really want my experience with the game to end in a rage quit.

DoH, H-less, and Shichimen3 all just sound like the biggest drag ever. I'm probably going to clean up all of the rest of the mini-bosses, then go back to Hirata for my own personal finale.

The shichimen warriors are ridiculously easy.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The shichimen warriors are ridiculously easy.
They really are, and I've had trouble with pretty much every boss in the game! Even easy without the mid-air kills. I've seen people use the purple umbrella to lock them down also. They seem way scarier than they because of terror, but it's a non-issue when you learn any of the multiple ways to deal with them.

The worst thing are large orbs, but they never get a chance to use them if you stay on them. Without mid-air kills I attack until they disappear, don't run to where they will be but get halfway, deflect the beam, run in attack until they disappear, rinse and repeat. If they happen to jump, all the better - free kill.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
You can cheese
Seven Spears if you like. Sneak in the house from the side like you did in the beginning of the game, then death blow from behind. Then jump off the stairs to the left. As he starts down the stairs jump and hit him. He'll stay on the stairs and you are free to jump and hit as you like. If you stay right up against the stairs he should miss you with all attacks unless you jump at a bad time.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll try that tonight after work.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's fascinating to me how varied the results are for people's difficulty with bosses in this game. I never got the impression that it was so different in the Souls games. It always seemed like there were consensus picks for which ones were hardest.

For example, Well Guy took me 2 tries. Seven Spears took me at least 30. He was the hardest stopping point in the game, for me, harder than any boss. And not just 30 straight tries. I gave up doing it on my own and consulted YouTube, but couldn't pull off the fight with recommended strategies (fireworks, jumping on his head), either. I gave up on that, and consulted "how to cheese" videos, and couldn't replicate those, either. Eventually, I found my own cheese method (same thing, really, just a different spot). I was happy to run into him again late in the game, thinking I'd thrash him after all that experience, and he still gave me an embarrassing amount of trouble.

We should make a list of all the bosses and mini-bosses, and everyone put a number of tries on each.
Sekiro final boss tries so far - at least 80...

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

Headless and Shichimen aren't too bad at end game. Have the
purple gourd, lilac umbrella, and easy to purchase divine confetti.

Worse case scenario, you can cheese DoH and the final boss. It's not satisfying, but at least you can shelve the game and say you finished it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
after playing 18 or so hours, i think the difficulty is exaggerated. i don't think anything is really cheap except for maybe when the camera acts up (like lone shadow longswordsman's tiny room)

the game gives plenty of tools so that you don't have to be a parry god to beat encounters. your prosthetic tools and other consumables are there to help you if you don't want to fight enemies using only your sword...
a gigantic DANGER symbol appears whenever an enemy is about to perform an attack you can't easily block, animations for attacks have readily noticeable telegraphs. every enemy is right-handed so there's not too much to adjust to on that front.
you have candies to boost your stats, you can stealth deathblow most minibosses so you only have to truly earn one deathblow, thrust counter is extremely generous on timing, you can revive yourself in the middle of battle. you are also never too far from an idol.

MrTommo2304

Apr 4, 2019
I've fought the final boss about ten times now and I'm pretty sure I can do him. I almost killed him a couple of times but some of his unblockable attacks are a little hard to see. Probably the toughest thing about the fight in general is its length.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Here's a run through him I just did for you, not perfect by any means but hope it gives you some insight to his patterns and how to be more aggressive, note that because it's New Game+++ with no charm and the demon bell there's chip damage on non perfect parry and a big hit to how much posture damage you take and dish out so in a standard new game it's even more effective.

Which upgrade is giving you the fiery sword?

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone having trouble with the quickdraw double slash mini bosses - the magnetic fan wrecks their posture and you take no dmg. I tried it on a whim and totally crushed him post Ashina Burning.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. Just learned about

the optional Owl fight, but I'm beyond the point of return for that. Crap, first fight was a little lackluster... I"m sad

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a supreme disdain for Terror-based enemies. The feeling of having a good run wiped in a matter of seconds by an insta-death status effect is the most demoralizing part of this game. I'll give one of them a shot based on your response, but I do not look forward to it.

It really helps to get the purple gourd from the merchant outside Mibu Village for them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a supreme disdain for Terror-based enemies. The feeling of having a good run wiped in a matter of seconds by an insta-death status effect is the most demoralizing part of this game. I'll give one of them a shot based on your response, but I do not look forward to it.
These guys are cakewalk. GA's terror was much more dangerous.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum trophy!

Greatly looking forward to Formsoftware's next title, best studio in the business for the past 10 years!

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I left shichimen warriors for late game and absolutely fucking steam rolled them in a super sloppy "who gives a shit" fight. The purple umbrella basically makes everything they do entirely worthless and the mid-air deathblow (which I honestly didn't know was a thing until I did it) makes them even less of a threat. Don't fear them.