• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not only cheating the game, but myself I guess.

Souls veteran here. Due to family, house and work I can't commit as much time to Sekiro as I want. To make progress faster, I installed cheat engine and upon reaching a boss, I switch to God mode.
I observe the patterns and practice to parry the attacks. Then I switch back to normal again to fight the boss for real.

It's kind of a time saving shortcut. The surprising thing is, even in God mode, you can't simply hit some bosses. You need to parry and dodge accordingly, otherwise you don't have a chance to hit them.
You have brought shame not only to yourself, but your entire family. You have made a mockery of From Software's artistic vision!

Sad!

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
So now I can fairly consistently get the final boss down to his last phase. If I can learn to
catch the lightning
I think I'll be all right 🤘🏻🗡
I didn't
catch a single thunder, even if I spoiled myself that it was a thing... but it was much harder to focus on doing that, so I just avoided everything and defeated him... :P I just say to not focus too much on it, anyway the last phase looked to me identical to the third one, only with thunder.

But, won't I just get even more destroyed? I feel like there's a lesson I need to figure out on this fucker first.
I say you can avoid it for now... so you will be stronger later. Anyway my tactic was
kill all other enemies, then hide from him. Go back and backstab to have him just 1 life left. Ask for help to the samurai near the water. Let them fight and safely hit the boss time by time to avoid my friend to die too quicly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
How come you don't just watch a guide on YouTube to learn the patterns. Do you learn quicker with your current method?

If I'm in the middle of playing the game, I don't stop to watch the boss on YouTube. Also, getting the timing down and learning to read the attacks is easier if you can do it in game.

For me, it's basically the same process like before, just streamlined.
Without God Mode, I try to learn the attacks and parries while dying a lot, having run to the boss again and again. With God Mode, I do the same just without dying. I beat the boss the normal way in the end, having to try it multiple times of course. It's just that I can get a general feeling for the boss and prepare for the battle better, in a shorter time.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Final boss tactic(Phase 1 for ISS), help needed for 2:
Just figured out a nice pattern. After he does his opener three slashes, after the third, he's wide open for Double Ichimonji. I took his first form out in a minute or two.

The downside is, it doesn't work on phase 2... that super aggressive spear combo that ends on the stab is killing me, literally.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just figured out a nice pattern. After he does his opener three slashes, after the third, he's wide open for Double Ichimonji. I took his first form out in a minute or two.

The downside is, it doesn't work on phase 2... that super aggressive spear combo that ends on the stab is killing me, literally.

pop an Ako sugar and deflect deflect and deflect. Also mikiri (upgrade it with Shinobi eyes) all his thrusts, luckily he loves doing them. Because he's more aggresive it's also easier to deplete his posture even if you don't hit his HP down.

So now I can fairly consistently get the final boss down to his last phase. If I can learn to
catch the lightning
I think I'll be all right 🤘🏻🗡

He have
2 lighhning attacks but thends to use the one where he jumps backwards first, so once you see that just jump block and release. I didn't even time it and always worked

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
wow just found out this item existed ... :O its really just an infinite
bite down

I completed the game and just saw this. Never put 2 and 2 together, i just thought why the hell would you want to kill yourself and never tested it. Then just assumed it was for a later area and forgot about it, lol.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017

To me it was the easiest part. Mikiri counter spear attack, take some tries to understand when he does it, and take your time to parry or just block most of his attacks... be aggressive but dont be shy to parry/block because he does a lot of damage. On last part of the fight its the same but he will be more aggressive so be careful. Take your time was my definitive way to win the fight. (did it in 1h and half after all. so in line with all other hard bosses)

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
To me it was the easiest part. Mikiri counter spear attack, take some tries to understand when he does it, and take your time to parry or just block most of his attacks... be aggressive but dont be shy to parry/block because he does a lot of damage. On last part of the fight its the same but he will be more aggressive so be careful. Take your time was my definitive way to win the fight. (did it in 1h and half after all. so in line with all other hard bosses)
I have a hard time telling which attacks are his mikiri ones...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Would it be a wise idea to start over, just to relearn the game a bit? Like I posted yesterday, I am having much troubles with the first chaiend ogre...

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Another weekend, another failure to get past the drunkard first boss.

I've got it down to muscle memory to clear out the pawns. Getting the stealth hit is inconsistent and sometimes it has to be some sort of trigger glitch it doesn't happen, but after that I just get shredded. Even with the ronin's help I can't seem to survive.

I'm sad because I love everything except these boss fights. If I could just have twice as much health or deal more damage or something. Having access to only 2 gourd heals and having 0 pellets makes this shit feel impossible. Even my prosthetic feels useless. oil and then flame doesn't seem to help at all.

like I hear more stories about the spear guy before the fog gate, but that dude I flawlessed once I got the thrust counter skill.

What is going on?
For the Drunkard mini-boss I would suggest the following:

For the pawns, utilize hit and run strategies. Take out one or two via stealth (remember, if you're quick you can backstab 'yellow alert' guards), maybe one archer (should go down in one or two hits), then run and hide under the floorboards of the building to the left. Eventually every alerted guard (including the drunkard) should lose their alerted status and go to their original area. Then repeat the hit and run until all the guards are gone.

When you have only Juzou left, hide until he de-aggros and sneak up behind him for a stealth deathblow. Don't go hide after that because if he de-aggros he gets that one life back, instead sprint towards the ronin, initiate dialogue and he should join the fight. After that it should be real easy, just don't stick too close to him because the hitbox of his grab attack is weird.

Also, remember that that entire area is completely optional and you can leave at any point. You can easily just go back to Ashina Outskirts and grind a bit. One thing I would advise is getting the Firecrackers prosethic, which is probably the single most useful prostethic in the game and you can buy it for 500 Sen very early in the game (close to where you got the bell to go to Hirata).

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, really enjoyed it, probably rate it as 9/10.

In the order of souls games it would go:
Bloodborne>DS1>Sekiro>DeS>DS3>DS2

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I was expecting GA to be more annoying, but my general aggressive rushdown burn-everything playstyle won me the first phase on my second try. I actually enjoyed that. Thanks, From.

Second phase took some getting used to, but it felt like there were bigger telegraphs involved. Umbrella is super good.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be a wise idea to start over, just to relearn the game a bit? Like I posted yesterday, I am having much troubles with the first chaiend ogre...

It's not worth starting over: you won't learn much in the 10 minutes it takes to get there on a new game, and of you really want to practice, you can just backtrack.

The skill that allows you to grapple onto enemies is fantastic for this fight. Everytime you avoid a grab, you can use L2 to swing to it's head, and get a few hits in. You can also backstab the Ogre too, if you sneak around the right hand side, and go for the backstab behind him his self, not the wood he's chained to.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
sekiro_2m_steamspy.PNG

I wonder how accurate this is.. It took way much time populating owners for this game.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Seeing all these plats here i am regretting buying this game for the Xbox more then i expected.
This is the first soulslike game i dont have the urge to plat because there is no platinum on Xbox. Gamerscore means nothing to me. Plats are much more satisfying to achieve imo.

And the game also killed me Elite controller.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you might like it. The boss fights in Sekiro are more like the Valkyries than Bloodborne bosses but you have less tools at your disposal and it's more focused on parry, that works more like your standard action game parry with a large window than the slow exposed style parry.

There are many enemies that can kill you in one hit but that usually happens if you do the wrong move such as dodge rather than parry or jump.

Will get it, then. That it looks like Onimusha 1 on steroids doesn't hurt, either.

I'll have to see if my brother goes for Amazon's 5 for 3 deal
and splits KH3, DMC5, REmake 2, Sekiro and Metro Exodus
with me. Otherwise it's 55€ for Sekiro and I'll get REmake 2 first.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I am still looking to buy this game, but has the frame pacing issues been fixed yet?

Thanks!

What platform? I don't think there have been any patches at all, honestly, so I doubt it.

Hey all, just wondering where I get the charm to give Kuro on new game + as it looks like I'm far too OP to be playing at standard NG+?
any help is much appreciated.

You get it at the start of NG+ and you have to give it to Kuro in the moon tower (during the intro).

I don't think you'll gain much from it. Ogre is a tough fight, mostly because it's difficult to avoid the grab or the plunge but they're for the most part easily avoided by dodging to the left (or right) just before the grab or attack. So don't be too early with the dodges because his attacks will track your movement and finally hit you. You can also get a free deathblow (one life) if you eat a Gachiin's Sugar and stealth up to his left side and get a backstab.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just cannot believe anyone has beaten DoH. For my sanity, I'm just gonna accept that its all lies and edited footage

It's by a huge margin the boss that's kicking my ass the hardest, I haven't even got to its final phase after more than an hour of tries. The final boss was much much easier to me
Figured I'd give some pointers on things I did to beat him.
So, first round. Make sure you have the red gourd for healing fire damage (if you get burn status, pop the item instead). Also, something people often forget: Stock up on Divine Confetti. I popped one per round, as it helps increase damage to all enemies. Also, I didn't bother with any shinobi moves, just use regular slashes as they don't leave you open with long animations so you can block or jump fast enough.

Basically, wait for his cool downs and punish him with 2-3 hits. Sometimes he will stomp with you near, so be ready to pull up a block. The most common tactic for me here is to wait for him to do his three whip move, and after waiting out of reach of two whips, I run up while his third attack is winding up. Punish with 2-4 hits (this also applies to his one long whip move as well). If he does his unblockable ram, hopefully you aren't stuck in an animation, and just jump up and to the left to dodge.

Round 2. Same tactic, but he will do a long distance fire attack. Wait for him to lift his leg, then jump left or right, and this will dodge the fire, and immediately try to grapple. This will bring you close and cancel his annoying flaming monk bullshit. But if you get stuck with that move too, run in a circular motion around the boss either left or right, and they will all miss. I hate this move btw.
The rest is the same, really. Just memorize moves.

Round 3. Same as above, just make sure to run far enough away so his fire field move doesn't get you, then keep moving and his purple stomp will miss, then punish. Keep red gourd handy, pop a confetti while he does the fire field thing. And hopefully you are good with blocks if he gets some wild swings.

You can also use Malcontent three times with him, but I never used it despite having it. And with flame umbrella, I suppose you can keep it handy and wait to use it until you are in his second or last phase to save you when you are running low on healing. That way you aren't relying on it too much and know his patterns.

Good luck! Maybe you've already beaten him by now.

Last edited:

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
So, first round. Make sure you have the red gourd for healing fire damage (if you get burn status, pop the item instead). Also, something people often forget: Stock up on Divine Confetti. I popped one per round, as it helps increase damage to all enemies. Also, I didn't bother with any shinobi moves, just use regular slashes as they don't leave you open with long animations so you can block or jump fast enough.

Basically, wait for his cool downs and punish him with 2-3 hits. Sometimes he will stomp with you near, so be ready to pull up a block. The most common tactic for me here is to wait for him to do his three whip move, and after waiting out of reach of two whips, I run up while his third attack is winding up. Punish with 2-4 hits (this also applies to his one long whip move as well). If he does his unblockable ram, hopefully you aren't stuck in an animation, and just jump up and to the left to dodge.

Round 2. Same tactic, but he will do a long distance fire attack. Wait for him to lift his leg, then jump left or right, and this will dodge the fire, and immediately try to grapple. This will bring you close and cancel his annoying flaming monk bullshit. But if you get stuck with that move too, run in a circular motion around the boss either left or right, and they will all miss. I hate this move btw.

Round 3. Same as above, just make sure to run far enough away so his fire field move doesn't get you, then keep moving and his purple stomp will miss, then punish. Keep red gourd handy, pop a confetti while he does the fire field thing. And hopefully you are good with blocks if he gets some wild swings.

May I add that using the shinobi tools make things a lot easier.
Especially :
- Suzaku's umbrella : will protect you from a lot of attacks so you can stay close to him longer
- Finger whistle : will stun the boss (max 3 time). I suggest using it for his last phase.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
DOH is doable if you play him like a Dark Souls boss. I find little value in trying to parry him except the giant single stomp and even then it does not seem worth to parry and you're better of dodging. Learning his patterns until you know what he is going to do before he does is the way I tackled the fight. Honestly, I think he is just the ogre from the first area but buffed up.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
May I add that using the shinobi tools make things a lot easier.
Especially :
- Suzaku's umbrella : will protect you from a lot of attacks so you can stay close to him longer
- Finger whistle : will stun the boss (max 3 time). I suggest using it for his last phase.
Yeah those work with him specifically I just didn't end up using them. But yeah, they will come in handy at the end especially (I added it at the end of my post).

Jan 10, 2018
Question about end game areas:

Are parts of the outskirts and castle locked out? I cannot reach some of the checkpoints it seems. Does this mean that some seeds and beads are missable?

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all these plats here i am regretting buying this game for the Xbox more then i expected.
This is the first soulslike game i dont have the urge to plat because there is no platinum on Xbox. Gamerscore means nothing to me. Plats are much more satisfying to achieve imo.

And the game also killed me Elite controller.
Plat is much easier on PS because you can copy the save, really frustrating that you can't do it on Xbox, I won't play NG+ that's for sure lol

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

Are parts of the outskirts and castle locked out? I cannot reach some of the checkpoints it seems. Does this mean that some seeds and beads are missable?
Yes, Ashina has been
invaded and overtaken by the Interior Ministry
. You will have to work your way through some areas, and some will stay off limits at end game. You will miss out on items in those places, though some valuable items from the merchant will go to the shrine box.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Yep
I can't think what gourd seeds and prayer beads would be missable there however.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What platform? I don't think there have been any patches at all, honestly, so I doubt it.

You get it at the start of NG+ and you have to give it to Kuro in the moon tower (during the intro).

I don't think you'll gain much from it. Ogre is a tough fight, mostly because it's difficult to avoid the grab or the plunge but they're for the most part easily avoided by dodging to the left (or right) just before the grab or attack. So don't be too early with the dodges because his attacks will track your movement and finally hit you. You can also get a free deathblow (one life) if you eat a Gachiin's Sugar and stealth up to his left side and get a backstab.

Pants, so I can't do it now. I'll have to do it on NG++ thanks for letting me know.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Plat is much easier on PS because you can copy the save, really frustrating that you can't do it on Xbox, I won't play NG+ that's for sure lol

There is a way to save scum in xbox by getting the achievement offline, deleting the save then resyncing with the cloud.

Seems risky to me, but my friend did it for his fourth achievement.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's probably been discussed already, but can someone explain how exactly the
shortcut passage between Kuro's Room at the top of Ashina Castle, and the Dilapidated Temple
works?

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
How do you cheese the final boss??
Learn which moves have openings and punish..
So, I just cannot believe anyone has beaten DoH. For my sanity, I'm just gonna accept that its all lies and edited footage

It's by a huge margin the boss that's kicking my ass the hardest, I haven't even got to its final phase after more than an hour of tries. The final boss was much much easier to me
What is killing you specifically?

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Another weekend, another failure to get past the drunkard first boss.

I've got it down to muscle memory to clear out the pawns. Getting the stealth hit is inconsistent and sometimes it has to be some sort of trigger glitch it doesn't happen, but after that I just get shredded. Even with the ronin's help I can't seem to survive.

I'm sad because I love everything except these boss fights. If I could just have twice as much health or deal more damage or something. Having access to only 2 gourd heals and having 0 pellets makes this shit feel impossible. Even my prosthetic feels useless. oil and then flame doesn't seem to help at all.

like I hear more stories about the spear guy before the fog gate, but that dude I flawlessed once I got the thrust counter skill.

What is going on?
Sprint around him and only go for 1-2 hits when there's an opening. You need to learn to spot the openings.

Cikay

Oct 30, 2017
I was curious how others got through the boss after I finished the game. One video I found had a guy

Take out phase one as usual. And then just run around the field until ItSS does his jump attack followed by the dash attack. This leaves him open for a second for you to get a couple hits in on his side/back, then rinse and repeat until he has no HP for a free deathblow for each phase. You might be able to sneak in a few more hits here or there.

It takes forever, is boring as hell, but you'll pretty much avoid getting hit entirely. Just watch out for falling off the cliff.

This method actually works for a few other bosses, too.

I wouldn't call this "cheesing". When you let Snake Eyes poison himself or make DoH fall from the cliff, that's cheesing. Here, you have to deal every single blow yourself in order to kill the boss. It's an earned victory. After all, the winner is the one that's still alive at the end of the battle, no matter how, as long as it's not cheating.

I killed the last boss with this hit 'n run method. I still had to learn the patterns that leave him open, I took damages, I made mistakes and died a few times. It was long, difficult and stressful, and a I had to stay focused for 15 mn, but in the end it took me "only" 2 hours before I managed to kill him this way.

Sure it would have been a more glorious and beautiful fight if I had beating him "regularly", but it would have taken me much longer to learn.
(I admit that at this point I just wanted to finish the game.)

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
Got down to the last third of the last health bar on the final boss, took a corner too tightly and he got me. I could've cried.

So far he's been a lot easier to deal with than
Owl (Father) and Demon of Hatred

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
My last attempt on the boss in NG charmless bell was not clean but sufficient, which probably works much better as a reference.

I do a very clear counter vs all moves. If you are not sure what's going on please do ask.

I'm the complete opposite. I killed DoH in ten tries. I'm at 35 tries with the final boss and I'm completely useless against the third phase.

I fought DoH like a Bloodborne boss and it seemed to work.
I felt similarly at some points. I always felt that the moves were so easy to learn but because of the tons of HP you just had to be perfect. But it's really not too bad and you'll think the same in hindsight. Just stay on his ass and learn the moves/proper dodge for them. They're all very choreographed.

You can also use Malcontent three times with him, but I never used it despite having it. And with flame umbrella, I suppose you can keep it handy and wait to use it until you are in his second or last phase to save you when you are running low on healing. That way you aren't relying on it too much and know his patterns.

thanks for the tips folks, gonna apply these next time I try to fight them
Learn which moves have openings and punish..

What is killing you specifically?

I manage to hit them quite often, but also am getting hit too much. Their attacks do way too much damage and I reach the half of second phase having used most of my gourd, if not all

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
DoH isn't too bad at all, just take the time to learn. I think i did no more than two slices per opening. Stay close. First round never run in when he first jumps away, he will slash at you. let him do the two slashes and he will hopefully follow up with a third. Sprint to the side and run like hell at him while hes slow, his tells are massive. He has a headbutt, (which he may double) his triple slash is easy to dodge. When he jumps in the air run away from him and straight away hookshot back in. as soon as you see the unblockable sign jump in the air to the left, you will always miss his claw. Sprint at him and leave the pressure on BUT if he gets too far away wait for him to do the flame slashes again and then sprint in.

2nd phase is the same, just take your time and chill...stay close and whoop him.

3rd run from the flame blast, when he does the long flame slash sprint to the side and jump at the last minute, you will always dodge it. Sprint in and murder. Save your whistle for this stage, three good whistle blows and he is fubared.

Nov 8, 2017
Just got the game on PC. On a Ryzen 2700 + RTX 2080, playing at 1440p 60 with no modifications.

Has anyone expereienced and fixed the intermittent stuttering/pausing? Sometimes it goes for a minuteo r two with no issues, other times I get multiple freezes / frametime spikes that result in a pause/stutter that goes for a full second in some cases! Has happened both during traversal and during combat.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Closing in on the end of the game (I'm pretty sure anyway), but decided to at least get my prosthetics to the point where can I upgrade two of the ones I actually use with
lapis lazuli
and boy the process of farming for materials has really not gotten more fun since 2009, even with the bell and balloons.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I'm playing through my NG+. It's sooo easy, no boss till now required me more than 1 try.

Let's see if it gets hardcore by going on.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
When he jumps in the air run away from him and straight away hookshot back in.
Ah yeah I forgot about this. It gets predictable once you get the timing down. When he does the high jump, as he is close to landing you can jump and then use the hookshot, and you will come in by the time the fumes are receding, which allows you to avoid the hit and blowback. You don't even need to be that far back either. Just far enough away from the immediate fumes.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Please buy the fire umbrella! You can activate it whenenever fire is going to hit you, hold the button and simplay walk towards him until you are by his legs (with the umbrella still activated). It blocks everything! If you invested in the follow-up attack you should use that - you'll deal a good amount of damage. Simply deflect stomping attacks, those are the only ones that can hit you if you stay close to him. No need to dodge. Also there's the jump attack where he wrecks you with an explosion. The umbrella blocks this one COMPLETELY so you can stay where you are, wait a bit and do the follow-up slash. The rest is jumping over is unblockable charge attack and getting close whenever he jumps away! If you have enough spirit emblems you can use the finger as well to stun him 3 times.

Also, if you feel confident you can do it and reach the second phase or the third and lost a life, don't hesitate to use some of the items at your disposal. Like the little statues that give you an additional resurrection!