• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
-Spiritfall changed to 2/2/1/3, duration 45s, equal to duration of candy with skill buff.

-Lazulite flame buff last 20s. For reference standard flame buff is 8s.

-Seems like substantial poison proc on sabimaru. Was able to proc on standard red hat in 1 hit. No data on how many hits it took before however.

-The drop kick component of senpou kick/high monk appears to have been nerfed by about half. The other parts seem notably stronger but hard to tell.

Most other stuff looks like emblem adjustments at the moment. Passage skills are faster (not sure if that's all), and mortal blade (both) do notably more damage. It feels like ashina cross has more range but I can't be sure.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes I just beat the last boss
About the ending
i killed the emporer and ended immortality, is that the good ending?

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Clocked in over 100 hours NG and plus. Unless you're running to progress points it is definitely not a short game.

I clocked in just under 70 hours (only 1 playthrough) and almost found everything along with taking my time enjoying the sights etc so not a short game but it was around half the time I normally spend on a Souls game (DS3 being the only exception) but again most of those games I missed a lot more stuff and there was more replaybility with the obvious online systems etc so definitely feel as thou Sekiro has the least content overall.

Oct 27, 2017
finally the "missing patch 1.03 launches today...
after I played ALL day long... LOL

Improvements to Strategic Approaches
  • Adjusted the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of the following to encourage usage and diversity of approach:
    • Prosthetic Tools: "Lazulite Sacred Flame," "Loaded Axe" series, "Sparking Axe," "Lazulite Axe"
    • Combat Arts: "Ashina Cross," "Dragon Flash," "One Mind," "Floating Passage," "Spiral Cloud Passage," "Mortal Draw," "Empowered Mortal Draw"
    • Items: "Spiritfall" series
  • Reduced the Posture damage dealt by the first hit of the Combat Arts "Senpou Leaping Kicks" and "High Monk" as it was causing more damage than intended in certain cases. Posture damage dealt in the latter-half of the combo has been increased.
  • Increased the Poison build-up dealt by the Prosthetic Tool "Sabimaru" against enemies that were intended to be weak against it.
  • Increased the drop rate of "Divine Confetti" for Fencers in Ashina Castle.
  • Adjusted loading screen tips and tutorial text, as well as adding new text.
Other Fixes
  • Slightly reduced Posture and Vitality of Blazing Bull in order to improve game pacing and balance time in combat.
  • Lowered the price of information sold by Anayama the Peddler.
  • The Chained Ogre inside Ashina Castle is now Red Eyed.
  • Fixed a bug where "Gokan's Sugar" and "Gokan's Spiritfall" were not mitigating player Posture damage taken while guarding or deflecting enemy attacks.
  • Fixed a bug where system crashes could cause save data to become corrupted on PC.
  • Fixed a bug where certain enemies would sometimes stop attacking the player.
  • Fixed a bug where certain actions could not be performed after reconfiguring the controls.
  • Fixed certain bugs that were allowing the player to access unexpected areas, which could result in becoming unable to obtain items or make further progress.
  • Fixed cases of certain text being displayed incorrectly.
  • Improved stability.
  • Improved performance.
  • Other various bug fixes.

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/sekiro-...rwjgQbiMfOmYxg2sl3B7bn890_TVu8DqIxwwqLFMPTSok

LATE LATE GAME BOSS
Also HOLY FUCKING LORD..... OWL FATHER can fucking DIE in a fucking fire.... that mother fucker took me 150 + tries today... LOOLOL Every other boss has been 10-15 tops but I just couldnt get him down for some reason... but finally did after 4 hours lol

this is an amazing guide.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It'll be interesting to compare the posture damage from High Monk. I was testing it against
the Lone Wolf ninjas in Ashina Castle Set ablaze
in NG++ and the first hit deals about 65%ish percent posture damage, on ver. 1.02.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you can increase your Attack Power quite a bit still in NG+. The first soft cap is at 14, which coincidentally matches up to the max number of bosses you can kill in NG. After that you get less of a boost per memory but if you add up 10 bosses or so in NG+ is still a sizable increase (until the next soft cap which is 28).

Which is what makes the mask so baffingly useless because, unless you're really struggling against the last boss or DoH in NG and need literally all the help you can get before reaching the first soft cap, the skill point expenses are so astronomical that even grinding out 2 AP would take hours and hours. And you can't get the mask before that to help you earlier if you're having trouble, and you'll get so many memories in NG+ there's no reason to ever use it after that. So there's a tiny window of the game in which the mask is sort of useful, and then it's not.

I wonder if the mask was originally obtained much earlier but then they saw that testers just started grinding for XP like crazy and decided to put it super late in the game.
yeah I was really excit about the mask until I learned of the 5 skill point requirement...for 1 attack power lol literally REDICK

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
LwPaizO.gif

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes I just beat the last boss
About the ending
i killed the emporer and ended immortality, is that the good ending?
There's three "good" endings and one "evil" one. The evil one you get earlier if you betray Kuro when Owl tells you to.

The good endings are:
1. Wolf kills Kuro. This is the "normal" good end.
2. Wolf kills himself as part of a ritual to make Kuro normal. To get this you need to eavesdrop on Kuro and Emma after beating Owl again but before fighting the Divine Dragon, then doing a bunch of steps until you get a bell that lets you go through an updated version of Hirata Estate.
3. Kuro is absorbed into the Divine Child of Rejuvenation and together with Wolf they go on a journey to the West. To get this you need to obtain a special item hidden in Senpo Temple (or have it given to you if you clear it up to the last Idol before fighting Genichiro) and give it to the Divine Child, and also be on friendly terms with her (keep asking her for rice until she gets sick, then give her fruit). This starts a sidequest that will lead you to unlocking this ending.

You can clear the conditions for getting endings 2 and 3 in the same playthrough, and you'll have your choice of endings at the end (similar to Dark Souls 3 if you've played that).

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Just got the platinum trophy!

The skill point grind was brutal, but it's finally over. Sekiro has been an absolute blast to play these past few weeks!

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I mean I really don't know how I can make this any clearer.

In the gif I posted, you can literally see the hook (aka the part of her weapon that grabs you to set up the attack) go completely underneath and behind my character.

You can then see my character literally teleported out of the air and back down to the ground so I can get wrapped into the attack's animation.

Because of these two facts with literal visual evidence, I can safely say that this is an objectively inaccurate hitbox.

This is not an attack that is tracking me. This is an attack with a hitbox that extends far above its visual representation.

Just because some grabs can hit you out of the air doesn't mean every single grab attack should magically be able to hit you out of midair.

If an attack's animation is such that it looks like it can be easily jumped over, I should be able to jump over it. That is literally the definition of an accurate hitbox.

The grab happens not when the vertical swing comes down, but when she pulls the gun back. You teleported a little bit, but it was just for animation purposes. You would have landed just in time to get grabbed. You jumped too early.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Ashina Cross still costs the same 2 spirit emblems. I wonder if they buffed the damage, forgot to test it.

Dragon Flash now costs 2 instead of 3. Range wasn't nerfed, just made these 2 gifs, look at this shit lol

7BeyGAP.gif

h0LzHXv.gif

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
PSA: either I am extremely unlucky or they patched Snake Eyes Shirahagi in poison pool. You can no longer go hide behind the rock and let her kill herself with poison. I'm surprised they just didn't make her immune to poison. Seems like that would be easier to fix than her AI, lol.

edit: you can still go to some places and let her poison herself. i'm gonna test and see if she de-aggros. i'll post here when i find out.
edit2: the only other spots she won't go takes her out of the poison. The cheese is dead.

Last edited:

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Ashina Cross still costs the same 2 spirit emblems. I wonder if they buffed the damage, forgot to test it.

I did some extensive testing with it. I think the only change is that it guarantees frame advantage now, regardless of whether it's blocked or deflected. I tested on armored red hat, purple ninja, and fencer enemies. Unfortunately no bosses to try on. It's actually a pretty good way to go about it.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
You can still get

All four of them with a couple backups to save scum from.

It's not much of an inconvenience since it's not like you have to redo a bunch of stuff or re-fight any bosses. You just get to fight a few optional bosses. If you intend on making a beeline for the ending without optional bosses, you can grab the items for two of them (Immortal Severance and Return). As mentioned, I'd recommend Return. It's missable after a certain point, though. If you pursue that, it wouldn't hurt to save scum for IS as well since you'll already have the item for that progressing normally.

Just be cautious, as a choice you'll have soon will either lock you into one ending, thus missing a portion of the game, or you'll be locked out of that ending and have access to the other three. To get all four, your first backup should be before making the choice.

Is the choice...
When you choose to stay loyal to Kuro? I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep a save in case I decide to come back to it at a later point

How do I know when I'm getting close to that point?

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I did some extensive testing with it. I think the only change is that it guarantees frame advantage now, regardless of whether it's blocked or deflected. I tested on armored red hat, purple ninja, and fencer enemies. Unfortunately no bosses to try on. It's actually a pretty good way to go about it.

Good stuff, I wonder if it's the same for Mortal Draw, since the cost also remains the same (3 emblems).

Oct 25, 2017
Some changes I noticed: Lazulite Flame Vent Living Force lasts 30 seconds, instead of the 10 seconds it did before. The fire buffs still last 10 seconds.

Lazulite Axe and Fire Axe now cost 2 emblems. Tested Lazulite Axe against Purple Monk and it did A FUCKTON of damage, so maybe the apparition boost was also increased?

Dragon Flash seems to be not just cheaper, but stronger, breaks Hanbei's posture in the first hit, I think it took both pre-patch.

All Spiritfall items had their cost reduced by 1 emblem, AND their utility buffed. Yashiriku Spiritfall with Monk Buff now lasts 60 seconds, SAME AS THE SUGAR. Too lazy to test the others, but it's probably across the board.

Damage NERF on running/dodging attack? At 31 Attack Points on NG++ one running attack and one charged attack would instantly kill the ranged dudes in the bridge from Old Grave to Sunken Valley, after the patch, with 32 Attack Points on NG++ the same two attacks are not enough, probably a substantial nerf, then. Two stabs are still enough, though, so they probably only nerfed the running attack. Three R1s still break their posture.

I imagine they also fixed the Butterfly exploit, then.

EDIT: Keep in mind this was all tested on NG++ without Kuro's Charm and with the Demon Bell on.

Last edited:

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, I wonder if it's the same for Mortal Draw, since the cost also remains the same (3 emblems).

I didn't test that part for mortal draw. I think it at least does more damage.

Against purple ninja at least, ashina cross on block allows for enough time to flame vent (of the dozens of attempts, I was interrupted only once, so it's probably just me not hitting it as soon as possible), which is pretty big because you can safely force pretty good vitality damage if you have living force. Ashina cross > flame vent > Living force > 2-3 hits (doesn't need to actually hit) for burn > whatever you want to do (mash r1 or throw in something else, like swap to lazulite flame vent to damage and buff).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That skip in the Oniwa boss room still works fine. Don't have the boss alive to test if he still falls, but it's still easy to just jump over if you want.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Is the choice...
When you choose to stay loyal to Kuro? I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep a save in case I decide to come back to it at a later point

How do I know when I'm getting close to that point?

You are correct. You'll be close to that moment

when you return to Ashina Castle after retrieving three items Kuru requested. You'll notice that the idols are greyed out. Before making your way to the rooftop to see him, make a backup.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
in my PC save game folder there's 2 files- S0000.sl2 and S0000.sl2.bak...is the .bak file a backup in case the main one gets corrupted?...did they add that in with the new patch?...I didn't see the .bak file before in that folder

Oct 27, 2017
Some changes I noticed: Lazulite Flame Vent Living Force lasts 30 seconds, instead of the 10 seconds it did before. The fire buffs still last 10 seconds.

Lazulite Axe and Fire Axe now cost 2 emblems. Tested Lazulite Axe against Purple Monk and it did A FUCKTON of damage, so maybe the apparition boost was also increased?

Dragon Flash seems to be not just cheaper, but stronger, breaks Hanbei's posture in the first hit, I think it took both pre-patch.

All Spiritfall items had their cost reduced by 1 emblem, AND their utility buffed. Yashiriku Spiritfall with Monk Buff now lasts 60 seconds, SAME AS THE SUGAR. Too lazy to test the others, but it's probably across the board.

Damage NERF on running/dodging attack? At 31 Attack Points on NG++ one running attack and one charged attack would instantly kill the ranged dudes in the bridge from Old Grave to Sunken Valley, after the patch, with 32 Attack Points on NG++ the same two attacks are not enough, probably a substantial nerf, then. Two stabs are still enough, though, so they probably only nerfed the running attack. Three R1s still break their posture.

I imagine they also fixed the Butterfly exploit, then.

EDIT: Keep in mind this was all tested on NG++ without Kuro's Charm and with the Demon Bell on.
@_@ damn....

thanks for the testing..

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
o_O

Well then. Does it just give you the option when you start a new game and reach Kuro for the first time?

Yes, I've ran 2 NG charmless bell instances now.

Yeeeeeees floating passage is decent now.

Funny thing is floating is better than its more expensive counterpart because you get to the last hit faster. Speeding it up is the right choice, and it has its own small niche, but hopefully they explore more interesting mechanics with multi-hit in the future.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I feel like I started playing tonight on my NG+ file and my posture is getting absolutely fucking wrecked, even when I'm perfect parrying. I don't know what's going on. I haven't played for about a week, but it seems like I'm totally off.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Finally got to DoH. Took out his first health bar on my third try and then immediately died to his floaty fire ball attack. He's gonna be super annoying

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucked?
My PS4 downloaded and installed the patch 1.03, but when I start the game I have a message saying "Save data it's from another version blablabla" and returns to the main menu. I can't start the game, WTF FROM!!
is there any way to comeback to the previous patch?
There's no way I will start the game again since I'm in the middle of NG+ with just a few trophies of the platinum....

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I cheesed DoH with the cliff trick and I swear it's the most fun I've had in this game yet, apart from clowning several bosses after (Hirata boss) Lady Butterfly put me through the grinder early on. I laughed and laughed. And took a screenshot and video clip. And then laughed some more.

No, DoH, thank you.

Kinda bummed I missed out on the special dialogue though. (big boss/endgame/lore spoilers) I was positive I gave the sculptor all 4 sakes, and eavesdropped as much as I could. Maybe I missed some other trigger. If you don't know what I'm talking about: during the boss battle Sekiro can realize that the Demon of Hatred is the Sculptor. After the battle, the old lady where you first find Tengu confirms it. If you don't get the dialogue, she says perhaps it's better you didn't realize who DoH was. What nonsense, he was my one-armed monkey bro. :(

And now for my latest complaints:

- I'm sick and tired of how sluggish the combat feels when I'm trying my best to block and deflect, then I get forced into block stun, then my posture breaks and I'm flat on my ass, eating hit after hit. I'm working on the final boss here, and he's so fucking fast that he hits me between my hits, then locks me down with absurdly strong attacks of his own. And of course this asshole rushes you down when you attempt to take a three second long swig of your damned gourd. Why is my character the slowest ninja in history? This is a life and death situation, you moron. You're not sipping sake with Emma right now.

- The overused bosses are a little much. Was (1st Hirata boss) The Drunkard really such a compelling enemy design that he's worth fighting two more times if I want all the prayer beads? (Late game areas) Hirata 2, and the blue Ministry miniboss in Ashina Outskirts when everything's on fire. Come on.

- (Late game area/boss) The Sakura Bull of the Palace in Fountainhead was also bullshit. It was an easy kill because I got him to crash into the wall and stun himself, but still. The first version was dumpster fire boss design. I can't imagine anyone would relish the thought of repeating it.

- Why do I have to fight (mid/late game boss)Genichiro yet again, before the final final boss? Sit the hell down, chump. I already endured three phases of your crap at Ashina Castle. His new attacks are damned annoying too. I really enjoy losing half my health when I block, or taking the full attack in my face when I'm not quite close enough to jump off his head. The fight just feels like a gratuitous kick in the balls, a cheap shot designed to drain your gourds before you can get down to business.

- What's the point of collecting all 10 health/posture upgrades if a boss can take me out in two swipes no matter what? I went through hell to get all those beads. I'm missing the logic here.

I can't wait to finish this annoying game and get back to DMC5, where the characters damn well listen to my button inputs and don't lie on the ground at random or spend an entire afternoon in block stun before remembering they've got a fight to finish.

Slow ass game. I hate watching my dumb character get stuck in a year-long animation when I see an attack coming and I'm frantically trying to respond to it. Fucking move, you idiot. Not enjoyable at all.

Last edited:

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
even the glock? (lol)
Especially the glock!
But seriously, at this rate I don't think I'll be able to finish the game. I don't have the patience to run nor the skills to deflect his attacks.
Tried a lot of approaches but I keep getting my ass kicked.

I feel like the whole fight is a test of patience for me, making it a total snorefest.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isshin
down on ng+3 without kuros charm. That fight is so brutal I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cheesed DoH with the cliff trick and I swear it's the most fun I've had in this game yet, apart from clowning several bosses after (Hirata boss) Lady Butterfly put me through the grinder early on. I laughed and laughed. And took a screenshot and video clip. And then laughed some more.

No DoH, thank you.

Kinda bummed I missed out on the special dialogue though. (big boss/endgame/lore spoilers) I was positive I gave the sculptor all 4 sakes, and eavesdropped as much as I could. Maybe I missed some other trigger. If you don't know what I'm talking about: during the boss battle Sekiro can realize that the Demon of Hatred is the Sculptor. After the battle, the old lady where you first find Tengu confirms it. If you don't get the dialogue, she says perhaps it's better you didn't realize who DoH was. What nonsense, he was my one-armed monkey bro. :(

And now for my latest complaints:

- I'm sick and tired of how sluggish the combat feels when I'm trying my best to block and deflect, then I get forced into block stun, then my posture breaks and I'm flat on my ass, eating hit after hit. I'm working on the final boss here, and he's so fucking fast that he hits me between my hits, then locks me down with absurdly strong attacks of his own. And of course this asshole rushes you down when you attempt to take a three second long swig of your damned gourd. Why is my character the slowest ninja in history? This is a life and death situation, you moron. You're not sipping sake with Emma right now.

- The overused bosses are a little much. Was (1st Hirata boss) The Drunkard really such a compelling enemy design that he's worth fighting two more times if I want all the prayer beads? (Late game areas) Hirata 2, and the blue Ministry miniboss in Ashina Outskirts when everything's on fire. Come on.

- (Late game area/boss) The Sakura Bull of the Palace in Fountainhead was also bullshit. It was an easy kill because I got him to crash into the wall and stun himself, but still. The first version was dumpster fire boss design. I can't imagine anyone would relish the thought of repeating it.

- Why do I have to fight (mid/late game boss)Genichiro yet again, before the final final boss? Sit the hell down, chump. I already endured three phases of your crap at Ashina Castle. His new attacks are damned annoying too. I really enjoy losing half my health when I block, or taking the full attack in my face when I'm not quite close enough to jump off his head. The fight just feels like a gratuitous kick in the balls, a cheap shot designed to drain your gourds before you can get down to business.

- What's the point of collecting all 10 health/posture upgrades if a boss can take me out in two swipes no matter what? I went through hell to get all those beads. I'm missing the logic here.

I can't wait to finish this annoying game and get back to DMC5, where the characters damn well listen to my button inputs and don't lie on the ground at random or spend an entire afternoon in block stun before remembering they've got a fight to finish.

Slow ass game. I hate watching my dumb character get stuck in a year-long animation when I see an attack coming and I'm frantically trying to respond to it. Fucking move, you idiot. Not enjoyable at all.
If youre getting your posture broken its entirely on you for not parrying correctly you know that right? Like that has nothing to do with slow movement.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If youre getting your posture broken its entirely on you for not parrying correctly you know that right? Like that has nothing to do with slow movement.
Let me refer you to one of my older complaints: parry timing is fucking wack. You can't reactively perfect parry, you have to memorize the enemy's whole move set and visually identify the very start of the animations. It's tedious.

The fact that I'm at the final boss, having killed every single miniboss and optional boss before him -- cheesing only two of them (Monk 2 and Demon of Hatred) -- should suggest I'm not some hopeless player. I've played a hell of a lot of action games, and sunk quite a few hours into Bloodborne, and I've never before encountered a game with Sekiro's frustrating mix of quirks.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Let me refer you to one of my older complaints: parry timing is fucking wack. You can't reactively parry, you have to memorize the enemy's whole move set and visually identify the animations. It's tedious.

I do understand what you are saying here, to an extent. Could you name some games where it is not like this please? I feel like all action games require you to learn the move sets of enemies to punish them. Ninja gaiden etc.

On another note, I'm just up to the end to get the return ending on new game plus. Then i have another playthrough to do the "bad" ending.

I really think this is fast becoming one of my favourite games ever, and I have said that a few times in the last 18 months to two years. Gaming is just going from strength to strength. I love this game. Like others have said, including myself. It is my dream Ninja Scroll game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let me refer you to one of my older complaints: parry timing is fucking wack. You can't reactively perfect parry, you have to memorize the enemy's whole move set and visually identify the very start of the animations. It's tedious.

The fact that I'm at the final boss, having killed every single miniboss and optional boss before him -- cheesing only two of them -- should suggest I'm not some hopeless player. I've played a hell of a lot of action games, and sunk quite a few hours into Bloodborne, and I've never before encountered a game with Sekiro's frustrating mix of quirks.
Yes you generally have to get down knowing boss attacks in games like this. This is true for most games.
Isshin
is far harder than anything in the game before him tho. Significantly so.