• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Let me refer you to one of my older complaints: parry timing is fucking wack. You can't reactively perfect parry, you have to memorize the enemy's whole move set and visually identify the very start of the animations. It's tedious.

The fact that I'm at the final boss, having killed every single miniboss and optional boss before him -- cheesing only two of them (Monk 2 and Demon of Hatred) -- should suggest I'm not some hopeless player. I've played a hell of a lot of action games, and sunk quite a few hours into Bloodborne, and I've never before encountered a game with Sekiro's frustrating mix of quirks.

Are you me? I'm having the same problems. Final boss is frustrating as fuck.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I started playing tonight on my NG+ file and my posture is getting absolutely fucking wrecked, even when I'm perfect parrying. I don't know what's going on. I haven't played for about a week, but it seems like I'm totally off.
Posture builds even if you perfect parry. It just can't break your posture if youre perfect parrying. Just didn't want you thinking it was you that was messing up haha.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I got this at the weekend, and wow, it's really good. This is the first From game I'm playing, so I have no previous experience with this sort of game (even though I understand it's quite different).

I spent a lot of time dying on the mini-boss in Ashina Outskirts, until I figured out you needed to break his posture instead of whittle down his health. Then I went through some of Hirata Estate, up until the Shinobi Hunter. I'm struggling with the shield guards before that section, so I've gone back to the other path for now.

It's way more open to exploration than I expected. Grappling and stealthing around enemies is really fun. I don't know if it's the right way to play, but I've been trying to get a stealth kill on basically every enemy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I do understand what you are saying here, to an extent. Could you name some games where it is not like this please? I feel like all action games require you to learn the move sets of enemies to punish them. Ninja gaiden etc.

On another note, I'm just up to the end to get the return ending on new game plus. Then i have another playthrough to do the "bad" ending.

I really think this is fast becoming one of my favourite games ever, and I have said that a few times in the last 18 months to two years. Gaming is just going from strength to strength. I love this game. Like others have said, including myself. It is my dream Ninja Scroll game.
Sure. In Metal Gear Rising there's enough leeway with your parry timing that you can get away with not fully memorizing enemy patterns. At the same time, Raiden doesn't get locked down by enemy attacks the way Sekiro does, and he can cancel most of his own animations about as quickly as you'd expect.

In Devil May Cry 3/4/5 (not the same type of action game as Sekiro, I know), your jump is the most effective dodge because it's instant and cancels almost anything, and the startup has i-frames. This allows you to react instinctively when an attack is coming your way. Sure, Royal Guard demands stricter timings, but the fact that almost anything can be canceled into a safe movement, and you can jump-guard or jump-release to minimize your vulnerability, means that using RG's abilities is perfectly realistic even if you're not an action god who can no-hit the final boss.

In the modern Ninja Gaiden series, you can dodge-roll through almost anything and make use of Ryu's fully invincible animations. Throws, Ultimate Techniques, etc. He's also relatively safe when he's high up in the air, which makes his signature air throw, Izuna Drop, a safe bet for crowd control. An especially effective trick is to kill a couple enemies to drop some orbs, then roll-jump into a landing Ultimate Technique, which instantly pulls the orbs to you and initiates a full UT. Sure, parrying and countering in Ninja Gaiden Black requires great timing, but you have lots of other options that don't force you to rely on memorization and tedious repetition.

I could mention other games. PS2 Shinobi, where Hotsuma has his stealth dash, Dragon's Dogma, which has enormous combat variety that includes timing-based defense for some classes... even the new God of War, where Kratos can dodge through stuff, reflect projectiles, and parry + counter.

None of these games are as demanding as Sekiro in quite the same way that Sekiro demands. There's always an alternative to understanding the full capabilities of each enemy at any given moment, and there are options for the player who prefers to react on instinct.

Sure, Sekiro allows me to play hit and run, and jump dodge most things. Yes, I can use Aged Feather Mist Raven until my spirit emblems run out. But if I'm going to get up in the enemy's face and play the parry/counter game, which is clearly the way the game was designed to be played, then I've got to do a lot of work to get consistent results, because enemies are so damaging, blocking inflicts so much block stun and posture damage, you're so vulnerable when you're on the ground, your attacks feel so unbelievably slow, it's damned tricky to break away and heal before you know exactly what to expect...

It's like the whole game was engineered to brutally crush the player who dares apply the reactions and intuition they developed in other challenging action games. The stuff you expect to work simply does not work. You attack far slower than your movement suggests, parry inputs are placed absurdly early in each attack's windup, your dodge has pathetic i-frames, you recover about as slowly as a crippled elephant, and half the stuff you'd expect to be able to cancel with something -- anything! -- is a fully locked animation.

It's just weird to me, an experienced action game player, that Sekiro is so resistant to the skills and approaches that seem to work in everything that's not Sekiro.

Posture builds even if you perfect parry. It just can't break your posture if youre perfect parrying. Just didn't want you thinking it was you that was messing up haha.
I'm not sure I knew this. Thanks.

Yes you generally have to get down knowing boss attacks in games like this. This is true for most games.
Isshin
is far harder than anything in the game before him tho. Significantly so.
I thought (late boss) Owl 2 was as hard as it was going to get. And he wasn't that bad because his pattern was clear and he had distinct windows of vulnerability. (Final boss) But with Isshin, not only does he have three phases, but I have to make Genichiro buzz off beforehand. So that's a full four phases, back to back, where two big mistakes will get me killed, and the block stun, enemy attack speed, and posture damage are unreal.

I have problems with this game's design. It's not like Bloodborne, where I can recommend the game without reservation, regardless of its difficulty. Sekiro is exclusive in the worst possible sense. It entices players with options and the appearance of fast paced combat, but renders most of those options useless to non-experts and mercilessly denies them a reasonable margin for error. There is no trial and error. It's trial, error, complete annihilation and a demoralizing ordeal just to reach the thing that got you killed before, and repeat. It's a fucked up cycle.

Are you me? I'm having the same problems. Final boss is frustrating as fuck.
At least twice as long as it should be, to boot.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
There's a reason for this, you'll figure it out soon.

if what you mean is the 2nd owl fight in hirata estate i found that pretty easy too...just beat him. the hardest bosses in the game for me were the miniboss ninja in the reservoir (did not know that you could backstab him from above until after i already killed him) and the guardian ape. i died so many times on the ape that once i got to the 2nd fight with the ape and his brown friend it was basically muscle memory

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
What a boring fight. Spent my whole evening session trying to beat this fucker, but I'm still stuck.
Got him down to the last phase but ran out of healing items. Oh well, at this point I'm having more trouble with his first real phase than the rest. I need some rest, my reflexes aren't working properly anymore.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
About to enter the end game, just wondering if I could
still upgrade my prosthetic after the Sculptor turns into the Demon of Hatred. Right before fighting the dragon but I was wondering if I should farm and upgrade the prosthetic tool first.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Man this last stage of
Isshin is starting to piss me off, all this fire attacks that can't be blocked are ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or is the game a tad easier at first than Bloodborne (the only FROM I beat, DLC and all) ? I feel like the parrying and counter timing window is really forgiving.

Either way the game is really cool and I love how they upped the verticality

Oct 28, 2017
- I'm sick and tired of how sluggish the combat feels when I'm trying my best to block and deflect, then I get forced into block stun, then my posture breaks and I'm flat on my ass, eating hit after hit. I'm working on the final boss here, and he's so fucking fast that he hits me between my hits, then locks me down with absurdly strong attacks of his own. And of course this asshole rushes you down when you attempt to take a three second long swig of your damned gourd. Why is my character the slowest ninja in history? This is a life and death situation, you moron. You're not sipping sake with Emma right now.

That "stun lock" got me a lot, too. I needed some time to realize what was even happening. First, I always thought my posture was broken but then I paid close attention and realized that enemies can simply put you in a stun lock when you get hit (it's always when Sekiro raises is prostetic left hand). Then you are at least one second completely non-mobile and have to eat more hits.

At first I always tried to roll out of it to cancel because the game teaches you about that in the tutorials but that actually seems only for when your posture is broken. When you are stun locked you are just stunned and have to wait. Not knowing this I often tried to roll out of it and then of course it came out after it where it messed me up even more.

Frustrating as hell.

Especially the final boss Isshin. Like you deflect his combo, you try to attack, but he does another sword swing which is two times quicker than your own attack and he gets you, puts you in stun lock etc.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to finish this annoying game and get back to DMC5, where the characters damn well listen to my button inputs and don't lie on the ground at random or spend an entire afternoon in block stun before remembering they've got a fight to finish.

Slow ass game. I hate watching my dumb character get stuck in a year-long animation when I see an attack coming and I'm frantically trying to respond to it. Fucking move, you idiot. Not enjoyable at all.

This is a good bookend to your constant complain fest. Have fun playing DMC 5 ;)

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is the game a tad easier at first than Bloodborne (the only FROM I beat, DLC and all) ? I feel like the parrying and counter timing window is really forgiving.

Either way the game is really cool and I love how they upped the verticality
Yes, it's easier in the beginning, but it gets a lot more difficult mid-game onwards. I found Bloodborne to be pretty difficult in the beginning and then steamrolled most bosses mid-game onwards. With Sekiro, I fucked up all the bosses till I reached the top of the Ashina Castle and then it started getting difficult and the difficulty just kept ramping up from there, though there were occasional dips in difficulty with some of the filler mini-bosses and gimmick bosses.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah reactive parrying is kinda broken at least on consoles. The tooltip says press block just right before the attack is suppose to land, but good luck with that with latency and animation priority lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I can't wait to finish this annoying game and get back to DMC5, where the characters damn well listen to my button inputs and don't lie on the ground at random or spend an entire afternoon in block stun before remembering they've got a fight to finish.

Slow ass game. I hate watching my dumb character get stuck in a year-long animation when I see an attack coming and I'm frantically trying to respond to it. Fucking move, you idiot. Not enjoyable at all.
I can't say that I understand what you're describing here exactly. If you happen to have a video or something we could get a better idea of what you're referring to.

The game is actually more forgiving than Souls in a lot of ways; e.g. you can spam R1/L1 without being punished as much as before, and you can still deflect even if you incorrectly decided to go for an attack. Attack/animation cancellation is a thing in Sekiro as opposed to before.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some stuff definitely can't be parried on reaction, but the parry window is forgiving to make up for it, especially if you make an effort to not mash block. Mashing apparently shrinks your parry window, so it's generally better to block a little early instead of mashing l1.

I think Mikiri Counter works the same way? There have been times when I pressed dodge early, started the dash animation and then my character suddenly pulls off the mikiri counter mid-dash, with the same button press.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can NPC get the dragonrot again if I give them a blood pellet? Because i die a lot and im just at the first boss

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can NPC get the dragonrot again if I give them a blood pellet? Because i die a lot and im just at the first boss

Yeah, they can get it again.
You will get a lot of them during the game, so you don't need to be afraid to use them when necessary, but it's only worth using them when you want to progress a side quest.

I found it best to use them once a lot of people were infected, and after a particularly tough boss.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
The dragonrot mecanic is kinda useless imo. Maybe it's because "Unseed Aid" is also useless (only 30% chance trigger chance if I remember correctly) so the stakes aren't that high. Maybe if NPC could die from it, it could be more interesting.
Idk, it feels like they wanted to do something more with it

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
The dragonrot mecanic is kinda useless imo. Maybe it's because "Unseed Aid" is also useless (only 30% chance trigger chance if I remember correctly) so the stakes aren't that high. Maybe if NPC could die from it, it could be more interesting.
Idk, it feels like they wanted to do something more with it
It's been discovered that the original idea was NPCs would indeed die from it and you had to cure them individually with pellets made from your resurrection charges with the help of Emma. It sounded great to me but they scrapped it sadly.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah reactive parrying is kinda broken at least on consoles. The tooltip says press block just right before the attack is suppose to land, but good luck with that with latency and animation priority lol.
I agree with this. I play on Xbox One X and noticed the lag immediately. It made some bosses unnecessarily difficult. That's one of the reasons why I think Sekiro is a mediocre game.

I wish I could beat the final two bosses of the Shura path. I beat everything else in this game but I can't do this apparently.

I swear E. starts her throw animation in the middle of my combo and I can't react to it. I'm getting destroyed.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't even see the point of NPCs dying from Dragonrot, I'm glad they scrapped it. Right now it's a pointless mechanic, but I don't see the benefit of making NPCs die. I would want to see a pay-off for the player for curing them outside of continuing NPC quests, which as they exist are largely meaningless any way. I can't think of any meaningful or unique rewards from completing the NPC quests like previous games. No one's giving me a titanite slab or a unique armour set etc.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they can get it again.
You will get a lot of them during the game, so you don't need to be afraid to use them when necessary, but it's only worth using them when you want to progress a side quest.

I found it best to use them once a lot of people were infected, and after a particularly tough boss.
Who have side quests tho? I only have the sculptor and emma at the shrine

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
You can interrupt his fire pillar attack with the long wind-up. Use Mortal Draw (or Firecrakers I think).
The other ones you can evade by stepping/running around him.
Not too bad once you get the hang of it.

Yeah gonna switch to Firecrakers to stop they first wave instead of going in defence mode with the shield.

My main problem right now is that 1 hit is 70% of my hp gone, if i make a single bad move im done. If i can't get this done i might have to give up the Kuro Charm and see how it goes that way.

Z.C

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
After so many attempts I finally got past the last boss and got the Immortal Severance ending. Going through my second playthrough now just wanted to know which ending should I aim for now? Which ending did most people go through their second playthrough?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even see the point of NPCs dying from Dragonrot, I'm glad they scrapped it. Right now it's a pointless mechanic, but I don't see the benefit of making NPCs die. I would want to see a pay-off for the player for curing them outside of continuing NPC quests, which as they exist are largely meaningless any way. I can't think of any meaningful or unique rewards from completing the NPC quests like previous games. No one's giving me a titanite slab or a unique armour set etc.
I see the point, but can only imagine it would be tedious to charge up resurrective power to go and heal the questgivers one by one. Not to mention most of the NPCs already largely exist only for flavor anyway, as aside from a few none of the items have any long-term impact (which is to say they're all farmable / acquirable elsewhere).

I wonder if the offering box was intended to be used to give the player any items that couldn't be acquired if an NPC died (such as the Phantom Kunai).

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Are you kidding me with Spiral Cloud Passage? Hahaha things are melting.

GIF below from a YT video. NG+3 + Ako's + Confetti
lYRAv40.gif

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Finally Shura's done, this boss fight took me like 8 hours in total. I don't think i will be using the Kuro Charm in the next playthrough that's for sure.

Love Machine Thanks for reminding me of the Firecrackers they really helped stopping him on his track.

Last edited:

Slayerfolyfe

Apr 30, 2018
Is there anymore to Senpou temple after

The bell demon's temple. I can't find anywhere to progress there other than the shortcut back.

Also how many main bosses are there in total? In spoilers obviously.

Slayerfolyfe

Apr 30, 2018

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Slayerfolyfe, have you been only to the one idol at the bell in Senpou? The area itself is a lot bigger, but you can get to the bell idol very early but that small area is locked off from the rest of Senpou until you get there by another direction.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont understand the complaints about parrying in here at all. Not only is the game way too generous with letting you mash L1 (they should patch that) but the windows for a parry are incredibly generous.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crazy that they didn't change the cost for that, so they're making it EVEN STRONGER? Holy shit.

RIP Ichimonji and High Monk, Mortal Draw is the new GOAT.
Does the new Mortal Draw help somehow to beat the last boss?
Because i don't feel that any prosthetic or technique helps to beat him really.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the new Mortal Draw help somehow to beat the last boss?
Because i don't feel that any prosthetic or technique helps to beat him really.
High Monk and Ichimonji are pretty strong against the final boss, but yeah, I personally don't really use any spirit emblems against that boss either.

Though now with the massive Spiritfall buff, I might do the whole fight in Yashariku from now on.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I did some extensive testing with it. I think the only change is that it guarantees frame advantage now, regardless of whether it's blocked or deflected. I tested on armored red hat, purple ninja, and fencer enemies. Unfortunately no bosses to try on. It's actually a pretty good way to go about it.
That's cool. It's a cool move but the spirit emblem cost makes it less efficient than Ichimonji. Perhaps this will make me use it more. I want to check out some other skills mentioned. Mortal Draw is also cool, but sometimes not worth it since enemies often punch through it, so I switch back to Ichimonji or at the very least, whirlwind slash, which do more poise damage.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I dont understand the complaints about parrying in here at all. Not only is the game way too generous with letting you mash L1 (they should patch that) but the windows for a parry are incredibly generous.

I don't get it either. I am a senile, doddery, ancient 40 year old with molasses reflexes and I still managed to deal with the game. Parries are not only super generous, you can mash and still get deflects. And everything is super telegraphed.

People should go back to DS3 to see what hard parries look like. Unless you can react to shit in 4 frames you are gonna get turned into mincemeat.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It would be impossible for almost everyone.

I'm convinced that they went out of their way to make DS3 parries so hard to make up for how easy they are in DS1 and BB.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i got murdered the first few hours because i tried to time parries and counters too well. once you find out that the window is very wide the whole game changes.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The thing with deflects in Sekiro is that the active frames for a successful deflect come out almost instantly. So you can press L1 super late and still get the deflect.

It comes out so fast that you can drink a Gourd and still have time to deflect the overhead slam most bosses use to punish it.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
How much harder is NG+ than NG?

I'm debating if I really want to do the other two endings I missed.