• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Had fun ripping through Guardian Ape's first round with the Flame Vent. Missed some good parries the second round, but still did decent clear with demon bell/no charm.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
The rewards were super worth it to me, they buffed the items them post-patch too. I killed most of them late game when I was swimming in Divine Confetti though, their posture metre builds up so quickly late game, very quick kills. The onetwo in Fountainhead Palace was annoying though.

By the time I hit the late game though (Fountainhead Palace), I just wanted to push through to the end instead of going back and fighting 4-5 of the same type for rewards that I felt weren't going to be that helpful. I'm planning to do a second playthrough at some point and will take them on then (I'm dreading the thought tho lol)

my god this last boss O_O

Good luck! Be sure to post back here when you're through with it. A fantastic fight all around

Oct 29, 2017
I know I'm late but I finally got the platinum the other day. Wish I'd stopped after doing all bosses though. That grind for skill points was insane.

The shura ending bosses were fun and unique enough that I'm glad I went through to see them and NG+ was fun in general. It was a weird mix of tearing through some bosses with the new tools I had and then suddenly getting caught up at something I thought would be easy.

Overall it was an amazing game. Hopefully there's DLC. I don't have time to keep running through NG+ levels but I already miss playing

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
He's more of a health boss, but you can build posture on him for a deathblow when he's at low health, particularly in 2nd phase.

The approach I outlined is more methodical and reaction to what he's doing rather than a back and forth parry/attack in his face type of thing. The good thing is that pretty much 80% of his attacks can be countered or reacted to in a way that opens him to damage.

I wish I was at home so I could load my video. I did a pretty flawless Phase 1 on my successful run.
I've figured out phase 1 now. But he's such a cheater in phase 2! Constantly disappearing when you're trying to counter. Oh well, I'm feeling confident that I can get him now.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making progress on

Owl in the Hirata Estate, in order to select the 'purification' ending for my first time through. NG+ I'll go for 'return'.

But this damn fight is making my palms sweaty lol. I can reliably get to the second phase, but it's been whollop after whollup so far.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Making progress on

Owl in the Hirata Estate, in order to select the 'purification' ending for my first time through. NG+ I'll go for 'return'.

But this damn fight is making my palms sweaty lol. I can reliably get to the second phase, but it's been whollop after whollup so far.

I personally found him to be the toughest boss in the game next to
Demon of Hatred
, even more so than the last boss. After a difficult first phase his second phase is just absolutely brutal. You've got very little window to heal or run away because of his range.

Take your time with the fight though. Each time he jumps in the air to do a forward flip, dodge to the right and get 1-2 hits in on his side. Each time he launches his firebird attack, you can jump over it. He'll then follow it up with a piercing strike that will allow you to use your Mikiri Counter and land a hit in.

His most annoying attack by far is his constant use of firecrackers, but using the umbrella in instances where I know I couldn't escape the range damage helped immensely. Your own firecrackers come in handy too in the second phase, but they're not essential. Other than that its just a case of memorising his moveset and knowing when to land your hits.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've figured out phase 1 now. But he's such a cheater in phase 2! Constantly disappearing when you're trying to counter. Oh well, I'm feeling confident that I can get him now.

Here was my successful run. First phase illustrates techniques I mentioned and was pretty clean. Second phase was a bit sloppy particularly from the start (I got myself out of rhythym trying to incorporate divine confetti - which sometimes is not helpful when you need patience because you are just thinking about getting in offense before your confetti runs out). You can see that you can run away from his owl overhead attacks. It does show jumping over the fire owl and attacking through it at close range. But I never mikiri'ed his follow- up thrust as I was out of range for whatever reason. I started punishing his firecracker attack with the shadowrush from behind in Phase 2. I use no prosthetics on him, so I had plenty of emblems to spare. I can't remember but double ichi could be of use but may be vulnerable to his counter - its been a while, so that may be why I used shadowrush here.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I personally found him to be the toughest boss in the game next to
Demon of Hatred
, even more so than the last boss. After a difficult first phase his second phase is just absolutely brutal. You've got very little window to heal or run away because of his range.

Take your time with the fight though. Each time he jumps in the air to do a forward flip, dodge to the right and get 1-2 hits in on his side. Each time he launches his firebird attack, you can jump over it. He'll then follow it up with a piercing strike that will allow you to use your Mikiri Counter and land a hit in.

His most annoying attack by far is his constant use of firecrackers, but using the umbrella in instances where I know I couldn't escape the range damage helped immensely. Your own firecrackers come in handy too in the second phase, but they're not essential. Other than that its just a case of memorising his moveset and knowing when to land your hits.

He ranks probably 4th or 5th to me.
Firecrackers are also his biggest weakness. At range it signifies a thrust is coming and he has a generous mikiri window. The close up one is usually telegraphed by the lead-in flurry and knock back and if you dodge through it opens up big attack opportunities from the back. The intermediate firecrackers are really the only ones that I worried about too much, because he often swipes after this. Usually I just started jumping back when I saw this and tried to avoid confrontation there.

The other big thing to remember is his kanjis at close range should always just be jumped over, and don't try to jump counter. Just get in some slices on the way down or just after landing and try to bait his overhead slice.

Video I posted shows it. Honestly I didn't handle his phase 2 specials that well in that run, but I typically just ran away when he's an owl and as you said jumped over and mikiri'ed the fire attack on most of my runs. Others probably have a better technique on his owl phase.

Like you said, he's really about memorizing his moveset. I enjoyed my steady progression as I learned one more thing just about every time and kept inching closer and closer....

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Here was my successful run. First phase illustrates techniques I mentioned and was pretty clean. Second phase was a bit sloppy, but you can see that you can run away from his attacks. It does show jumping over the fire owl and attacking through it at close range. But I never mikiri'ed his follow- up thrust as I was out of range for whatever reason. I started punishing his firecracker attack with the shadowrush from behind. I use no prosthetics on him, so I had plenty of emblems to spare.

I ended up taking him out last night. Very similar style to your video. That tip about jumping over the flaming attack and then countering the thrust was definitely the key to the second phase. Thanks!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up taking him out last night. Very similar style to your video. That tip about jumping over the flaming attack and then countering the thrust was definitely the key to the second phase. Thanks!

Cool. He has very generous mikiri windows and its all about the same delay. I think he may have the most diverse moveset of any boss, but also some of the biggest tells.

Probably my second favorite boss behind the final boss. (And I enjoyed the process of beating him more - you get closer and closer.)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Also VaatiVidya finally released a new Sekiro video, and there's a bit at the end about the centipedes that surprised me, as I didn't put it together initially, but it makes a lot of sense about their place in connection to the rejuvenating waters. It's worth watching:

I watched this the other night and his other video....several more to come it looks like. I have to say that people are full of it when they say the lore here isn't deep. I mean the base story of what you are trying to do is pretty simple and more straight forward. But what else is going on in this world and the lore behind it is much deeper than being given credit for. I think some are just assuming because the game tells the story mission more than past From games its simple and that is all there is, but perhaps they aren't being inquisitive enough about what else is happening in this world. Your motives and objectives may be clearer, but the world is still full of mysteries.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's a monstrously difficult fight with no Charm. Failing to deflect all her attacks means certain death.
Yeah, her posture damage is insane when playing charmless, it was much harder (and more fun) to fight her on NG+ than on my first playthrough. On this run I had to REALLY learn every single animation of hers, though, hahaha.

Currently getting my ass kicked by Ape. I don't know if I'll even do the second fight, but Bestowal would be so damn useful later on. I guess I'll try.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, her posture damage is insane when playing charmless, it was much harder (and more fun) to fight her on NG+ than on my first playthrough. On this run I had to REALLY learn every single animation of hers, though, hahaha.

Currently getting my ass kicked by Ape. I don't know if I'll even do the second fight, but Bestowal would be so damn useful later on. I guess I'll try.
I'm about to approach her on my NG +++ run. Looks like I'm in for a tough fight. Even the centipedes are tough with no charm. Took me like 3-4 tries to get it right, lol.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
After having my fill with Sekiro I tried to play another game but it wasn't as satisfying as Sekiro. I tried assassin's Creed Odyssey. The world is great and all. I really like the writing of the characters and the story but the gameplay feels off. The combat doesn't feel as weighty as in Sekiro. I don't feel the tension in every fight. It seems I can't enjoy that game right now. Don't know what to do.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my FuturePress guide. It's made with great material; really impressed by the quality. I was hoping for more artwork in it, but in the end, it is still cool to have. It's kind of ironic because I've already almost 100%'d the game. But it's more just something I want to have because I like the game so much.

After having my fill with Sekiro I tried to play another game but it wasn't as satisfying as Sekiro. I tried assassin's Creed Odyssey. The world is great and all. I really like the writing of the characters and the story but the gameplay feels off. The combat doesn't feel as weighty as in Sekiro. I don't feel the tension in every fight. It seems I can't enjoy that game right now. Don't know what to do.
Quoting you since you were on the bottom of last page. You may want to try NiOh, since it has good combat. But yeah, in general, there won't be much that will be satisfying for a while after getting really deep into Sekiro's gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to approach her on my NG +++ run. Looks like I'm in for a tough fight. Even the centipedes are tough with no charm. Took me like 3-4 tries to get it right, lol.
Yeah! The centipedes are a huge spike in difficulty, definitely. I thought they were kind of a joke on NG, just spammed L1 and won, but you need to actually learn the pattern when playing charmless. Your posture is gone in a second if you mash.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to miss the esoteric Ashina text after a certain point?

I don't think so but check a guide. You should get this very early in the game after talking to Tengu. Per Fextra its still available to find after you beat the last boss though (I guess maybe not if you do the Shura ending).

Do you mean the Mushin Text btw? This one is more missable because you only get it after getting a skill at the end of a skill tree and talking to Tengu and given how hard it is to get those skills you may not until late game. But its available later because I picked it up right before going to the final boss on my first playthrough. Not sure if it would have been available had I beaten the boss or if I'd had to go to NG+ to get it.

I would recommend making sure you have all of them before late game if you can though.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so but check a guide. You should get this very early in the game after talking to Tengu. Per Fextra its still available to find after you beat the last boss though (I guess maybe not if you do the Shura ending).

Do you mean the Mushin Text btw? This one is more missable because you only get it after getting a skill at the end of a skill tree and talking to Tengu and given how hard it is to get those skills you may not until late game. But its available later because I picked it up right before going to the final boss on my first playthrough. Not sure if it would have been available had I beaten the boss or if I'd had to go to NG+ to get it.

I would recommend making sure you have all of them before late game if you can though.

I've progressed far enough into the game so that it's no longer possible to talk to Tengu. I'm guessing there's no other way to get it?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've progressed far enough into the game so that it's no longer possible to talk to Tengu. I'm guessing there's no other way to get it?

Not sure where you are at progress-wise, but if the option is available try going to the castle and talking to Isshin Ashina or Emma. Fextralife's wiki page may have more helpful details.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know if it's possible to access
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

Google indicates the answer is 'no,' but I'm hoping somebody has found a way.

It seems odd that choosing an ending completely cuts off an entire level, especially a level that features multiple bosses and carps. I'm hoping I've just missed something simple.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

It seems odd that choosing an ending completely cuts off an entire level, especially a level that features multiple bosses and carps. I'm hoping I've just missed something simple.

Pretty sure the answer to that is a big NO unless there is some kinda glitch. If you have an online save just before that decision you can overwrite the save on system storage and redo. But there is always NG+ to go down a different path.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fountainhead Palace
while still being
loyal to your father?

No deal. The Shura ending cuts that part out completely. It's the 'bad ending', so I guess it's a little of a 'punishment' for being the bad guy. The end boss is unique to that ending, so there is that.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, last boss bordered on extremely annoying but I beat it just before reaching that point.

Figuring out
the timing to the lightning reversal and just fucking going for it whenever I had the chance ended up being the key.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
He's optional! If you're having trouble the normal way and still wanna beat him, there are some cheese strats iirc. Should be easy to find online.

I think he's basically the only boss I haven't fought on my first run but I'll probably just start NG+ and catch him later. Beating the final boss was such an ordeal I really don't want to get into another big thing right now.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Came back to do wrap up stuff before starting NG+.

A certain boss fight in the depths that I missed turned out to be way easier than expected because Mortal Draw with enough attack upgrades is crazy strong.

A lot of shichimen guys that I originally skipped are way easier than I thought they'd be after a boatload of attack upgrades and Confetti. Go figure.

Started looking up Headless and finally killed my first one. I feel violated.

Now I'm doing carp stuff.
Can I feed the giant carp normal precious bait three times before I give it the truly precious bait? I'm 3 scales short on the second lapis lazuli and I want to get that.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
YTCc64J.gif

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can I feed the giant carp normal precious bait three times before I give it the truly precious bait? I'm 3 scales short on the second lapis lazuli and I want to get that.
2 precious bait is the max to get the lapis lazuli rewards - 4 in total, so you're good. Giving him any more just gets a tut-tut from the old guy.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I finally did it! Finished the (surprisingly) final fight and finished the game! I got the Immortal Severance ending which is okay I guess - I didn't ready any guides and only from time to time got in here to ask about some stuff when I was hitting a wall.

Is it possible for me to fight the DoH I saw in the achievements and mentioned in here without starting a new game+? And should I now find and finish the rest of the mid bosses? Or do I fight them in new game+ either way?

I was very surprised at then end - finished Ishin without any help by prosthetic, without dying and with half my Healing Guards. It was an uphill battle to get there though. Just learning his moves, countering and attacking. The tip I got in here with the Ichimonji Double when he does the cross sped things up though. I never really got the right timing to use my prosthetic or the mortal blade - normal attacks were just faster.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I finally did it! Finished the (surprisingly) final fight and finished the game! I got the Immortal Severance ending which is okay I guess - I didn't ready any guides and only from time to time got in here to ask about some stuff when I was hitting a wall.

Is it possible for me to fight the DoH I saw in the achievements and mentioned in here without starting a new game+? And should I now find and finish the rest of the mid bosses? Or do I fight them in new game+ either way?

I was very surprised at then end - finished Ishin without any help by prosthetic, without dying and with half my Healing Guards. It was an uphill battle to get there though. Just learning his moves, countering and attacking. The tip I got in here with the Ichimonji Double when he does the cross sped things up though. I never really got the right timing to use my prosthetic or the mortal blade - normal attacks were just faster.

Congrats! I believe that you can still fight DoH as far as I know before NG+. Not sure about mini-bosses, some may still be available and some may not. You will see them again in NG+ and I believe the ones you haven't beaten should still give you prayer beads (unless you are talking about headless and warriors - their loot is always different); repeating ones you've already beaten should just give you coin purses.

I pretty much beat everybody but the Shura bosses on my first run, so in NG+ I skipped several minibosses (I was anxious to get to the Shura ending and do stuff for platinum).....mainly just fought the ones I enjoyed or the ones that are required to move forward.

One note, if you are going for the platinum trophy and want to do it 2 runs, you'll need 10 lapis. You can get 6 in a single run. (1 from the warrior at Fountainhead, 2 for sale from either of the pot nobles, 1 is related to the Carp boss, and 2 from the DoH). I'd recommend getting all 6 before NG+ if platinum is what you are aiming for or obviously at least 4. I was happy I got all 6 first time through so I didn't have to worry about DoH on the replay, although I hear he's no too bad in NG+.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Congrats! I believe that you can still fight DoH as far as I know before NG+. Not sure about mini-bosses, some may still be available and some may not. You will see them again in NG+ and I believe the ones you haven't beaten should still give you prayer beads (unless you are talking about headless and warriors - their loot is always different); repeating ones you've already beaten should just give you coin purses.

I pretty much beat everybody but the Shura bosses on my first run, so in NG+ I skipped several minibosses (I was anxious to get to the Shura ending and do stuff for platinum).....mainly just fought the ones I enjoyed or the ones that are required to move forward.

Thanks - it felt a little bit anticlimactic in the end without much resolution, but since it's not the "true" ending that should be expected I guess.

Where should I look for DoH? I have no idea where to start. I still have Seven Lances 2 and the second round with the Ogre to figure out if they are still there, but I noticed that I got a bead in the box, so at least one boss isn't available anymore.

Are the headless worth it? Only ever did the Shaman in the depth and avoided the rest.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - it felt a little bit anticlimactic in the end without much resolution, but since it's not the "true" ending that should be expected I guess.

Where should I look for DoH? I have no idea where to start. I still have Seven Lances 2 and the second round with the Ogre to figure out if they are still there, but I noticed that I got a bead in the box, so at least one boss isn't available anymore.

Are the headless worth it? Only ever did the Shaman in the depth and avoided the rest.

To find DoH
Go back to the castle and as you exit Kuro's room, talk to the Ashina guard that is dying at the bottom of the Ashina Castle steps. The pathway will be over the Ashina Castle rooftops and will involve a kite.

IIRC there is also a mini-boss at the castle in the hidden dojo down the steps from Isshin's room.

I believe the Headless at fountainhead guard a prayer bead, so you may want to do that. They also give other techniques. I don't recall them factoring into a trophy though. You want to do all of the Warriors though - there should be one where you may have fought the 2 apes who drops something necessary for a prosthetic and the 1 at fountainhead gives the lapis. They really arent't that hard with divine confetti and a red sugar.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Beat
The Owl in his second Hirata appearance
after probably four hours of trying, oh man, I almost cried laughing, the one time I finally beat him "I Believe I Can Fly" was playing and the absurdity of it all was just too much. Was eventually able to use zero heals on his first phase, and rocking him in the second.

Between this and RE2make, I've been feasting on great games this year.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

You can still get it. I never got mine from Tengu.

After you learn one of the Special Techniques at the end of a skill tree, you can talk to Isshin to get it later in the story. The wiki also says that Emma will give it to you under similar conditions (after learning a Special Technique, and after Tengu has disappeared).

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

After you learn one of the Special Techniques at the end of a skill tree, you can talk to Isshin to get it later in the story. The wiki also says that Emma will give it to you under similar conditions (after learning a Special Technique, and after Tengu has disappeared).

Yeah, I actually got the Mushin text from Emma after the Fountainhead boss and leveling up to get the Shadowrush technique. So it can be gotten still very late game.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Beat
The Owl in his second Hirata appearance
after probably four hours of trying, oh man, I almost cried laughing, the one time I finally beat him "I Believe I Can Fly" was playing and the absurdity of it all was just too much. Was eventually able to use zero heals on his first phase, and rocking him in the second.

Between this and RE2make, I've been feasting on great games this year.
I'm still high from beating the same boss a few days ago. There's something so special about facing a boss like this, getting rocked over and over, and then when you finally figure him out, turning him into a chump. It also helps that this boss has the most generous mikiri counter windows in the game :P

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017

I was actually referring to the Ashina Arts text. Looks like that one is missable if you progress too far.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually referring to the Ashina Arts text. Looks like that one is missable if you progress too far.

According to Fextra's site it can be found at Isshin's tower after you defeat the final boss.

I hate to say it though, if you've missed this one it does make the game more challenging. The most useful combat art there is - ichimoji double - is on that skill tree, as are some pretty good latent posture skills.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still high from beating the same boss a few days ago. There's something so special about facing a boss like this, getting rocked over and over, and then when you finally figure him out, turning him into a chump. It also helps that this boss has the most generous mikiri counter windows in the game :P
The first two hours he was wrecking me, sometimes wouldn't even get past the first phase.

Then I figured out how to dodge those firecrackers and things improved dramatically hahaha

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Getting my ass kicked by
Owl
and I think I might be done with this game. I've got through all the other boss fights so far because although I was dying alot I was still having fun. But with this guy it feels like my blocks/deflects just aren't working and the fight ends up being more frustrating than fun.