• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
He has some really good openings for damage like the no-heal bomb, leap forward (especially this) and the combo that ends in 2 quick slashes. I found it a really fun (not saying easy), Soulsy fight in that his attacks are telegraphed well and consistent. Keep at it, there's some really good stuff to come after - the next area is one of their best visually. :)

Oct 25, 2017
YTCc64J.gif
That wall jump, hgggnnnnnnnnn

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So i'm on the last boss of the game but still need to beat
Father Owl.

Is it possible to go beat the final boss then before starting a new game+ returning to Father Owl to finish him off?

Father Owl is giving me trouble so just want to finish the game and then return to him when i'm ready

Last edited by a moderator:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm on the last boss of the game but still need to beat Father Owl.

Is it possible to go beat the final boss then before starting a new game+ returning to Father Owl to finish him off?

Father Owl is giving me trouble so just want to finish the game and then return to him when i'm ready
Yeah, the game allows you to decide when to jump into NG+.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, but you do need an item from him for one of the endings.

But I would recommend persevering. A few of us in the thread were just stuck on the same boss. Once you figure out how to detect and then counter his shoulder-bash/firecracker combo, you will turn him into a chump.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

corner him. if you manage to corner him his moveset becomes far more manageable

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my ass kicked by
Owl
and I think I might be done with this game. I've got through all the other boss fights so far because although I was dying alot I was still having fun. But with this guy it feels like my blocks/deflects just aren't working and the fight ends up being more frustrating than fun.

Don't have any super complicated strategy for him, other than just playing defensive and looking for 2 attack opportunities.

I stayed back and tried to bait his double shuriken throw and the leaping jump. This is where he is most vulnerable, and I actually used the combat art that you start with to punish it, because its fast and sometimes you can do it twice.

The other thing is his health bomb. I dodge and attacked it sometimes, but if I didn't feel comfortable I just dodged and got out of there - this was trickier for me because I didn't want to get hit with it. Perhaps I should have dodged twice around his back or to the other side so you can experiment with that. Others may be able to help here better than my video shows on how to punish that one.

Use your ressurections as well. He's only 2 phases so you should have a free death in each phase, although I would only use a ressurection the second time in phase 2 if you feel confident you have a good shot at beating him, so you don't have to wait for any to regenerate with additional attempts and can always have multiple. I experimented with firecrackers some but found it was risky with him so didn't use too much, but that is another thing to open attack windows.

Otherwise you just have to get used to blocking his attacks and waiting for when you can punish him. In the second phase I just ran away with the smoke bomb and circled trying to get the lock on back. My approach certainly is not the fastest, but perhaps the safest and not all that difficult to execute. You just need to get confident blocking his attacks and be patient for when he opens himself up.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, but you do need an item from him for one of the endings.

But I would recommend persevering. A few of us in the thread were just stuck on the same boss. Once you figure out how to detect and then counter his shoulder-bash/firecracker combo, you will turn him into a chump.

Ah damn I'll stick with him then so I can get all the endings

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
To me this game feels like unofficial sequel to metal gear rising. The way it relates on parrying, the way you can abuse stealth sometimes, a ton of humanoid bosses.
After beating the game immediately started ng+, reached last boss. I just can't get enough. This world design, characters, combat, music.. so good.
Dropped Dark Souls back in 2012 cuz combat felt clunky to me. Now i'm eager to give him a second chance. Bloodborne then DS 3 is a way to go, right?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me this game feels like unofficial sequel to metal gear rising. The way it relates on parrying, the way you can abuse stealth sometimes, a ton of humanoid bosses.
After beating the game immediately started ng+, reached last boss. I just can't get enough. This world design, characters, combat, music.. so good.
Dropped Dark Souls back in 2012 cuz combat felt clunky to me. Now i'm eager to give him a second chance. Bloodborne then DS 3 is a way to go, right?
DS1 is slow and cumbersome, somewhat deliberately. It's still that way. I'd recommend you to go BB -> DS3 for the simple reason that I personally vastly prefer BB :p (You'll also be able to see how the game design evolved though so it's cool)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is different, but it rewards aggressive play and isn't clunky. Its a little more simplified in terms of combat and strategies more often carry over from boss to boss compared with Sekiro. Its more about dodging and attacking as opposed to the parry or attack paradigm. Bloodborne has a parry mechanism (the gun in your left hand) and shooting enemies at the right moment in the middle of their attack will stagger them and lead to visceral attack that deals massive damage, but its a high risk/high reward mechanism because if you miss the timing you'll get slammed (its a very satisfying counter though, like the Mikiri). Dodge and attack is the lower risk/reward and basic mechanic. Its more about timing and knowing when to attack.

BB has a high initial difficulty curve with a couple of bosses that are hard early on and gatekeepers kinda like Genichiro and Lady B. And you'll find regular enemies pretty tough early and you get creamed if you try to attack groups.

Anyway, highly recommended.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
owl father is impossible to me, I spend 3 hours last night and 2 hours today and nothing... So I watched some videos

he doesnt move like that, at ALL. Im ready to give up.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Spacing is often one of the keys to getting a boss to do what you want them to. If you want to take advange to punish certain moves being at a certain distance or doing a certain move (that the AI tries to punish) is the way to get them to do it reliably and repeatedly. I know it's difficult to do in the heat of the moment but if you don't control the fight, it controls you.

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

edit - that video is exactly this - controling the fight with spacing, but I will say it doesn't look like any of my fights either. He is repetitively using spacing to slowly grind down the fight. Clearly it's possible to beat him that way, but it doesn't look like much fun.

Last edited:

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Don't have any super complicated strategy for him, other than just playing defensive and looking for 2 attack opportunities.

I stayed back and tried to bait his double shuriken throw and the leaping jump. This is where he is most vulnerable, and I actually used the combat art that you start with to punish it, because its fast and sometimes you can do it twice.

The other thing is his health bomb. I dodge and attacked it sometimes, but if I didn't feel comfortable I just dodged and got out of there - this was trickier for me because I didn't want to get hit with it. Perhaps I should have dodged twice around his back or to the other side so you can experiment with that. Others may be able to help here better than my video shows on how to punish that one.

Use your ressurections as well. He's only 2 phases so you should have a free death in each phase, although I would only use a ressurection the second time in phase 2 if you feel confident you have a good shot at beating him, so you don't have to wait for any to regenerate with additional attempts and can always have multiple. I experimented with firecrackers some but found it was risky with him so didn't use too much, but that is another thing to open attack windows.

Otherwise you just have to get used to blocking his attacks and waiting for when you can punish him. In the second phase I just ran away with the smoke bomb and circled trying to get the lock on back. My approach certainly is not the fastest, but perhaps the safest and not all that difficult to execute. You just need to get confident blocking his attacks and be patient for when he opens himself up.

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting him on my next try ha. Got kinda lucky as he used his

Thanks for this. Ended up beating him on my first try after this haha. Think I got quite lucky as he was using the x2 shuriken > leaping attack more than usual. It just ended up being one of those mad attempts where everything clicks and you finish the battle with most of your healing items and you're not sure what just happened.

Spent about 2 hours fighting
the real corrupted monk
after that. After you figure out how to beat the second stage it's a really fun fight, even if I did keep on jumping into it's scream vomit. Already looking forward to playing this game again, every time I beat a boss I just want to fight it again.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spacing is often one of the keys to getting a boss to do what you want them to. If you want to take advange to punish certain moves being at a certain distance or doing a certain move (that the AI tries to punish) is the way to get them to do it reliably and repeatedly. I know it's difficult to do in the heat of the moment but if you don't control the fight, it controls you.

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

edit - that video is exactly this - controling the fight with spacing, but I will say it doesn't look like any of my fights either. He is repetitively using spacing to slowly grind down the fight. Clearly it's possible to beat him that way, but it doesn't look like much fun.
beat him, thank god. I notice that he never fully breaks our posture, so just hold on until an opening.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Had to look up online how to beat the final boss then did it in a few tries. Kinda crazy how despite it being an action game so much is just down to tactics and knowledge and even a person like me with what I consider to be super panicky hands can complete such a "difficult" game once I know what I need to do. Was bashing my head up against a wall for hours and used up all of my ammo and was getting super frustrated - watched a guide and everything just started making sense.
36 hours according to Steam, got the Homecoming Ending but did everything for the other one as well.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
2 precious bait is the max to get the lapis lazuli rewards - 4 in total, so you're good. Giving him any more just gets a tut-tut from the old guy.
Thanks. I'll probably wrap that up soon and then after that, it's the much harder task of deciding what to spend those lapis lazuli on lol.

Man, I never even thought to use the raven prosthetic when outnumbered.

That looks glorious.

Mar 22, 2019
I was going for the platinum and made it to the shura ending (yes, backed up save) - but for the life of me i cannot get the timings/beat emma consistently never mind isshin ashina.

Thinking i'll drop the platinum for the moment and just reload my cloud save to proceed with the game and come what may...possibly the first from game i dont platinum though...

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going for the platinum and made it to the shura ending (yes, backed up save) - but for the life of me i cannot get the timings/beat emma consistently never mind isshin ashina.

Thinking i'll drop the platinum for the moment and just reload my cloud save to proceed with the game and come what may...possibly the first from game i dont platinum though...
people says that is better to do the shura ending in the NG+

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game yesterday! Save scummed the 3 endings that don't need a NG+.

Thoughts:

Hardest bosses -

Ashina Seven Spears (beginning - maybe I just wasn't good? I learned how to play the game by fighting this guy 100 times. Everything after that was cake)
Headless/Sichiman (anything with Frighen was the worst) Harder than most actual bosses
Genichiro 1
DoH

Way Easier than I thought it woudl be:
Lady Butterfly ( beat on first try - but it could be because I honed my skills on Genichiro 1)
Final Boss (except phase 2 - final phase was super easy.)
Owl 1

Started NG+

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

people says that is better to do the shura ending in the NG+
Even with save-scumming you have to go in to NG+ one way or another for the platinum because it wants you to have all the bosses (from both ending paths) on a single save file - and reloading your save deletes your progress. You also have to get to FHP in NG+ for the last Lapis Lazuli to upgrade all the prosthetic tools. Still I did find it made more sense to get the 3 other endings in NG because the only difference is what items you give to Kuro post-final boss. Then do Shura in NG+ and reload to get the last Lapis Lazuli (or vice versa).

I don't think you'd get enough LL if you did Shura in NG, then went for the other 3 in NG+ (again, this only applies when save scumming).

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question about platinum

For the "beat all the bosses" trophy, do I need to kill genichiro at the start of the game?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I gave in. Initially, I was done with Sekiro after 3 playthroughs. I showed the game to a friend yesterday and it got me back to finish my 4th and last playthrough for the platinum. Game is so good man. Even after almost 2 weeks break I could still beat the boss in boddhisattva valley.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally defeated Father Owl after almost an hour.

Ended up using nothing but Mortal Draw so ran up to him soon as the fight started and Mortal Drawed his ass them i ran away. Soon as he would start running towards me I would just start doing another MD and he'd just run into it. I'd then run away, wait for him to start running to me and rinse and repeat.

I beat his first phase without getting hit once which was crazy but on the 2nd phase I took a thrashing for some reason and had no energy left when I finally landed the fatal blow.

So damn intense.

Off to bed and will do the last boss sometime this week.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
Even with save-scumming you have to go in to NG+ one way or another for the platinum because it wants you to have all the bosses (from both ending paths) on a single save file - and reloading your save deletes your progress. You also have to get to FHP in NG+ for the last Lapis Lazuli to upgrade all the prosthetic tools. Still I did find it made more sense to get the 3 other endings in NG because the only difference is what items you give to Kuro post-final boss. Then do Shura in NG+ and reload to get the last Lapis Lazuli (or vice versa).

I don't think you'd get enough LL if you did Shura in NG, then went for the other 3 in NG+ (again, this only applies when save scumming).

Thanks for that - loading my cloud save tonight and proceeding with the other option to fight owl father then!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Lol.. I was tired of fighting the last boss.. so I joined a Sekiro community on my PS4. Asked if someone could shareplay him.. A nice Dutch kid said he could do it.

He took over, and proceeded to kick the boss' ass.. It was fucking great to see. He knew exactly what he was doing, and shareplay worked perfectly.
Then the boss is dead, he just needs ONE more deathstrike. And then the player goes offline.. lol.. I could not take back control fast enough to end the fight. So I died.. lol.. I thought this was really funny..

He messaged me an hour later and told me he was sorry, his mum had cut the internet because he was supposed to come and eat.. lol.. at the very last deathstrike.. lol..

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol.. I was tired of fighting the last boss.. so I joined a Sekiro community on my PS4. Asked if someone could shareplay him.. A nice Dutch kid said he could do it.

He took over, and proceeded to kick the boss' ass.. It was fucking great to see. He knew exactly what he was doing, and shareplay worked perfectly.
Then the boss is dead, he just needs ONE more deathstrike. And then the player goes offline.. lol.. I could not take back control fast enough to end the fight. So I died.. lol.. I thought this was really funny..

He messaged me an hour later and told me he was sorry, his mum had cut the internet because he was supposed to come and eat.. lol.. at the very last deathstrike.. lol..
So there IS co-op in this game! :p

Great story

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So there IS co-op in this game! :p

Great story

I live in Europe, and tried to shareplay with a guy from the US later that night, it was way to laggy..
but when you are in the same region it works like a charm.

I could probably beat the boss myself (I have beat every other boss in the game, and I actually beat him on another account), bit I simply don't have the nerve or the time right now.. so I am not ashamed to use a built in console feature to finish this game (again)..

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I did it on NG+ and you'll have to go to at least Fountainhead in NG+ to get the platinum. Don't know if its easier or not to do it during first playthrough or in NG+. A lot of people complain about this boss in NG+ but that may just be because the rest of NG+ is so much easier, so it ups the difficultly quite a bit after you get used to sailing through.

Emma I think just requires some practice. You want to beat her using minimal healing, so for me that was the challenge. She really is a great fight and probably the best test of the thrust/swipe/grab game of rock/paper/scissors that the game throws at you. Really not overly difficult once you get the rhythym and timing down and she actually is good practice for Isshin as their timings feel similar. So the key is mastering beating her efficiently. Isshin first phase is not too bad, and his last phase is really intimidating. There are actually just a few simple tips though that make him not that bad. Let me know if you want to keep trying and I can give you some more detailed tips.

Mar 22, 2019
I did it on NG+ and you'll have to go to at least Fountainhead in NG+ to get the platinum. Don't know if its easier or not to do it during first playthrough or in NG+. A lot of people complain about this boss in NG+ but that may just be because the rest of NG+ is so much easier, so it ups the difficultly quite a bit after you get used to sailing through.

Emma I think just requires some practice. You want to beat her using minimal healing, so for me that was the challenge. She really is a great fight and probably the best test of the thrust/swipe/grab game of rock/paper/scissors that the game throws at you. Really not overly difficult once you get the rhythym and timing down and she actually is good practice for Isshin as their timings feel similar. So the key is mastering beating her efficiently. Isshin first phase is not too bad, and his last phase is really intimidating. There are actually just a few simple tips though that make him not that bad. Let me know if you want to keep trying and I can give you some more detailed tips.

Cheers! I decided to go for Shura ending in NG+. Booted up my cloud save last night and...decimated Owl first try.

So weird how the muscle memory works.

Proceeding!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers! I decided to go for Shura ending in NG+. Booted up my cloud save last night and...decimated Owl first try.

So weird how the muscle memory works.

Proceeding!

You really couldn't go wrong either way. If you are going for platinum you're going to have to reach the point of the Shura ending and beyond anyway. I found them to be challenging in NG+, but nothing way out of whack. There are some that believe its the hardest boss battle. I personally don't think that, but again I think there are a couple of tips that make it go from daunting to very doable.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shura ending for ng+ is the best option
I started yesterday and the chained ogre beat my ass 3 times lol

I'm so bad with those kind of bosses
Lol

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
That final boss is too much for me. lol

You can do it. I will say that it feels impossible at first, but once you get a handle to hang with his second phase its only a matter of time and usually you'll get him pretty soon thereafter. I've posted strategies and video a few pages back if you get stuck and of course there are a crapload on youtube.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Shura ending for ng+ is the best option
I started yesterday and the chained ogre beat my ass 3 times lol

I'm so bad with those kind of bosses
Lol

There aren't really any other fights quite like that in the game (vitality boss with tracking grabs that devastate health) and in NG+ you are sailing through and that boss still requires patience. I think he got me once in NG+ too.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Sekiro has really spoiled me with it's incredible combat. I finished the game a couple weeks ago with all bosses of the Purification ending done and thought it'd be time to play something else from my backlog. Tried to continue a few games I had started but somehow couldn't stop thinking about Sekiro so started a NG+ aiming for the Shura ending. I finished that yesterday night and thought "alright this time let's wrap it up", but here I am, excited to go home to start a NG++.

It's funny because when the game came out and I started to play, I thought it was way too hard, not enjoyable and I'd never make it. I was all on board with "the game should have an easy mode" complaints and I've actually changed my mind entirely. Not that I'm against it being an option, but it's just that if the game had an easy mode, I would have chosen it, probably finished the game enjoying the world design and story, and never came back. I'm glad I had no option but to play the game this way and train myself against these boss fights and encounters, which allowed me to enjoy the depth of the combat system, learn it, and become addicted.

I guess the game really clicked when I defeated Genichiro. I felt so strong when on my NG+ I was able to beat him a the start of the game without even really trying. The Owl in Hirata Estate will stay my main roadblock though, I learned so much against him. Probably spent at least 6 hours training and it truly felt like an achievement when I finally stabbed him once and for all. I love how you can feel your own growth through the game once you down such bosses. The Shura bosses were once again a big challenge, the only one I had on NG+ really. But after a few more hours, learning the moves and how to counter, being able to pass the first two phases without damage after a couple hours of training is rewarding like no other games. I just love this game SO much. Probably need to play some RPG or something with a very different gameplay to get other it!