• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 1, 2017
It's funny because when the game came out and I started to play, I thought it was way too hard, not enjoyable and I'd never make it. I was all on board with "the game should have an easy mode" complaints and I've actually changed my mind entirely. Not that I'm against it being an option, but it's just that if the game had an easy mode, I would have chosen it, probably finished the game enjoying the world design and story, and never came back. I'm glad I had no option but to play the game this way and train myself against these boss fights and encounters, which allowed me to enjoy the depth of the combat system, learn it, and become addicted.
Oh cool, I really liked DaS 1 and 2 but bounced off of DaS 3 and Bloodborne.

From the 4 hours with Sekiro I really like it, I just got past the snake. The spear guy with all of his buds in Hirata is really hard, how do I deal with multiple enemies?

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
When engaging multiple enemies, use your mobility to separate them and take advantage of the fact that when you perform a deathblow, you're invincible during it. If you have Breath of Life then it make things easier.

Oct 25, 2017
After 175 hours, finally got the platinum.

Kind of bummed about it, though, because I couldn't finish my challenge run for the final ending, gave up on the final boss and just got back Kuro's Charm and cancelled the Bell effects.

Now I need to stop myself from playing it for a while, I need to play other stuff. @_@

Whens DLC.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, I really liked DaS 1 and 2 but bounced off of DaS 3 and Bloodborne.

From the 4 hours with Sekiro I really like it, I just got past the snake. The spear guy with all of his buds in Hirata is really hard, how do I deal with multiple enemies?

That's a tough early encounter, but they actually give you some help there because you don't have all the techniques yet for dealing with crowds. The way I did it was sneak around the back through the left corridor, killing the people insides, and started taking out the grunts from behind and then I ran away and let them reset. If you don't get all the grunts in one shot you can keep doing this waiting for them to de-agro and repeat.

Then I let the drunkard reset and snuck back in and backstabbed him and then went and talked to the NPC standing next to the rock and then it was 2 on 1 for the final health phase.

This is slow, but the safest and surest way to take him out early on. Firecrackers are also helpful so make sure you have those.

Other times I tried this boss later on in NG+, etc. I would still take out the adds but pretty much engage him straight up as later you'll be more powerful and confident in your parrying and strategy.

The game does give you ceramic shards for breaking up enemy groups from the start as well, and later on you get some different combat techniques and a prosthetic even that helps with dealing with crowds. Running in killing a few and running away and letting them de-agro is always a possible strategy as well to thin groups. But the combat techniques I mentioned are really the best thing. I think the Ashina castle boss gives you the first one.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
You can do it. I will say that it feels impossible at first, but once you get a handle to hang with his second phase its only a matter of time and usually you'll get him pretty soon thereafter. I've posted strategies and video a few pages back if you get stuck and of course there are a crapload on youtube.

Aaaaand beaten!

Man, this was insane. After this boss, I feel like I'm ready for anything in life. I don't recall having this much difficulty even in Dark Souls. lol

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
After 175 hours, finally got the platinum.

Kind of bummed about it, though, because I couldn't finish my challenge run for the final ending, gave up on the final boss and just got back Kuro's Charm and cancelled the Bell effects.

Now I need to stop myself from playing it for a while, I need to play other stuff. @_@

Whens DLC.

Congrats.

Was it you doing an attack power 1 run? If so, what was it like. Done base vit but attack power 1 seems like a totally different game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Here are my personal boss rankings in terms of difficulty, may also do one for minibosses and a re-ranking by how good the boss was rather than just difficulty.

Hardest to Easiest

1) Isshin Sword Saint/Genichiro - 4 phases is intimidating and it takes a while just to routinely get to the 2nd ISS phase just to practice it
2) Demon of Hatred - Still don't feel like I've mastered him. I just try to out survive him.
3) Genichiro - Relative to when you play him in NG, its a steep learning curve. Maybe my biggest wall.
4) Isshin Ashina/Emma - Emma takes some time to master and Isshin's 3rd phase is arguably the most intimidating phase of any boss.
5) Father Owl (memory) - I actually had a run of steady progression until I knew his playbook like back of my hand.
6) Lady B - Again relative to when you play her - she was my second boss and that second phase was tough.
7) Owl Father (Ashina castle) - More of a long/slow battle for me, waiting and attacking the same move and surviving in the intermediate.
8) True Corrupted Monk - When I played him the first deathblow trick was patched out, and I didn't know about second - rest of you played easy Sekiro :-) .
9) Guardian Ape - I thought his first phase was over-rated in terms of difficulty, but struggled with his second phase until figuring out some trick.
10) Headless Ape - I hate 'adds' but her bark was worse than her bite, and beating headless phase again was cake.
11) Gyoubu Oniwa - I thought this was a cool boss - I struggled at first until I realized, yes you can parry him (lesson also had to be learned on the bulls).
12) Corrupted Monk - 1 phase and was the last of the 3 task areas for me so I just loaded up on sugar and confetti and firecrackers and it was easy.
13) Divine Dragon - He's actually not all that easy in NG+, but was cake in my first playthrough, cool concept though.
14 ) Folding Screen Monkeys - More of a chore than anything. Totally played this puzzle boss wrong and it didn't matter.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats.

Was it you doing an attack power 1 run? If so, what was it like. Done base vit but attack power 1 seems like a totally different game.
It wasn't bad at all until I got to Corrupted Monk, that was ROUGH. Took me more than 10 hours, but Glock Saint just broke me. Had to get rid of the debuffs.

What really made me quit was that I didn't even get to the hard phase in the final boss fight, hahaha, so I couldn't even imagine what I still had ahead of me.

The moment I removed the debuffs, I got to that phase first try.

I don't personally recommend it, maybe without the modifiers it's more fun, but still, base vit is a lot more interesting as a glass canon route, debuffs or not.

But, that being said, I've never done too many challenge runs in Souls games, so I'm kind of new to this, if you're used to doing them, there's a good chance you'll find it way easier than I did. As I said, didn't even get to the hard part of the fight, so it's clearly more on me than the run itself.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
It wasn't bad at all until I got to Corrupted Monk, that was ROUGH. Took me more than 10 hours, but Glock Saint just broke me. Had to get rid of the debuffs.

What really made me quit was that I didn't even get to the hard phase in the final boss fight, hahaha, so I couldn't even imagine what I still had ahead of me.

The moment I removed the debuffs, I got to that phase first try.

I don't personally recommend it, maybe without the modifiers it's more fun, but still, base vit is a lot more interesting as a glass canon route, debuffs or not.

But, that being said, I've never done too many challenge runs in Souls games, so I'm kind of new to this, if you're used to doing them, there's a good chance you'll find it way easier than I did. As I said, didn't even get to the hard part of the fight, so it's clearly more on me than the run itself.

Honestly, completing an attack power 1 run even without the hard mode modifiers is a major accomplishment either way, so congrats.

Really looks like it forces you to fight the bosses differently either by first going after vit damage and then posture or just focusing on vitality full stop depending on the boss.

And yeah, I can imagine corrupted monk being particularly rough as her posture recovers too fast for AP 1.

And of course, the fights must've been quite long so more time to make mistakes, and what not, especially without kuro's charm where one mistimed parry equals broken posture. Must've felt awesome at the end of some of those fights though.

Out of curiosity, roughly how long was the final fight for you? Was thinking about doing an AP 1 run, probably after dlc is released, but seeing people like lobos take upwards of 50 mins for glock saint put me off. Might've been more due to him taking no skills, which I'm not terribly interested in, mikiri is too core to the combat to play without it.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing my No Charm NG +++ run with the Lady Butterfly fight after messing around with the Code Vein demo. Took me a while to get back into the groove with Sekiro's tight animation timing.

Had fun sliding in some axe attacks and hitting her with her own Phantom Kunai. It works surprisingly well against her.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, completing an attack power 1 run even without the hard mode modifiers is a major accomplishment either way, so congrats.

Really looks like it forces you to fight the bosses differently either by first going after vit damage and then posture or just focusing on vitality full stop depending on the boss.

And yeah, I can imagine corrupted monk being particularly rough as her posture recovers too fast for AP 1.

And of course, the fights must've been quite long so more time to make mistakes, and what not, especially without kuro's charm where one mistimed parry equals broken posture. Must've felt awesome at the end of some of those fights though.

Out of curiosity, roughly how long was the final fight for you? Was thinking about doing an AP 1 run, probably after dlc is released, but seeing people like lobos take upwards of 50 mins for glock saint put me off. Might've been more due to him taking no skills, which I'm not terribly interested in, mikiri is too core to the combat to play without it.

No idea, but it wasn't anywhere near that long, it was fairly reasonable, but yeah, I was also upgrading skills. I feel like it depends on what you want in "Souls-equivalent terms". If what you want is to do a Soul Level 1 run, then you should probably just do base VIT and everything else is fair game. After all, we still upgrade our weapons, get flat damage modifiers and all of that for SL1, we're just extremely fragile. So in this case Attack Power and Skills are your methods to increase power without increasing defense, basically.

He gives you plenty of opportunities for Mikiri, too, so that's probably the biggest reason why it took him so long. I remember he basically just ran around all day while waiting for an opening, while with Mikiri his attacks are your openings.

And thank you! I don't think I'll ever try it again, though, hahaha.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Struggled for an hour against father owl in my 4th playthrough. It seems I haven't mastered the game yet. I often panic healed but I should have known better. Still an epic boss fight.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty terrible at this game. I am stuck at two paths. One is guarded by some hyper ninja at hirana estate in the mountains and one path i reached some drunken boss samurai at the burning place. Not able to put a dent in them before I die. What should I do?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty terrible at this game. I am stuck at two paths. One is guarded by some hyper ninja at hirana estate in the mountains and one path i reached some drunken boss samurai at the burning place. Not able to put a dent in them before I die. What should I do?
You can leave this area entirely and go back to Ashina Outskirts to move the main story for a bit, because it is a little easier than this area (for now). Come back later once you've gotten Mikiri counter to beat the Shinobi Hunter (if that's who you mean is the "hyper ninja". If not, you'll have to describe it a little bit better).

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can leave this area entirely and go back to Ashina Outskirts to move the main story for a bit, because it is a little easier than this area (for now). Come back later once you've gotten Mikiri counter to beat the Shinobi Hunter (if that's who you mean is the "hyper ninja". If not, you'll have to describe it a little bit better).
Huh is there is more in the outskirts? Didnt I reached the temple going that way?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Huh is there is more in the outskirts? Didnt I reached the temple going that way?
It's hard to understand your descriptions, but you can reach Senpou Temple that way, after the horserider boss and flaming bull battle. But you don't really need to tackle Senpou yet until after a major plot point in Ashina Castle (and I don't remember any "hyper ninjas" in Senpou either). What part of the main story have you reached?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the hyper ninja is the ministry due at Hirata.

Did you get to the part with the huge snake yet?
Nope. I came from Ashina outskirts to the guy that saves you in the temple and that woman doctor. Then i prayed to the bell and went to hirana estate. I guess I missed a part in the outskirts?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I came from Ashina outskirts to the guy that saves you in the temple and that woman doctor. Then i prayed to the bell and went to hirana estate. I guess I missed a part in the outskirts?
Yeah, keep going in the Outskirts. The place where you got that bell (from the old lady npc) has a path that leads to a miniboss and the main path for the story.

You can return to Hirata later if necessary.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the main path in the game continues through the outskirts.

As for the drunkard, here's a quick tip. Do not talk to friendly samurai at first. Instead, run in and try to kill all the normal enemies. If you just keep running around, you can do it without taking damage. Once they're dead, run over to the friendly samurai and then talk to him (quickly skip through his dialog). He will then distract the drunkard for you, making the fight much easier.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So thought I'd have an attempt at the last boss and talk about getting wrecked for almost an hour :-(

I can beat Genichiro and Isshin sword saints 1st phase without getting hit by using Mortal Draw and parry.

However, Isshins 2nd phase wrecks all 10 of my healing Gourds, pellets and even rice. I have never got to his final phase as of yet.

This fight is legit crazy

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

As for the drunkard, here's a quick tip. Do not talk to friendly samurai at first. Instead, run in and try to kill all the normal enemies. If you just keep running around, you can do it without taking damage. Once they're dead, run over to the friendly samurai and then talk to him (quickly skip through his dialog). He will then distract the drunkard for you, making the fight much easier.

Also: there's almost always a way to get a stealth hit on every miniboss, making them significantly easier.

So thought I'd have an attempt at the last boss and talk about getting wrecked for almost an hour :-(

I can beat Genichiro and Isshin sword saints 1st phase without getting hit by using Mortal Draw and parry.

However, Isshins 2nd phase wrecks all 10 of my healing Gourds, pellets and even rice. I have never got to his final phase as of yet.

The loaded umbrella works pretty well for the 2nd phase of Isshin if you just keep creating enough distance, he''ll run at you and will pretty much only do two moves.where he fires multiple shots that you can block and return damage to him with the loaded umbrella.

There's other ways, but that worked for me. IMO in general you should try to fully master the Genichiro phase and his first phase without using resources so you can save all the healing/emblems for the harder phases.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Also: there's almost always a way to get a stealth hit on every miniboss, making them significantly easier.

The loaded umbrella works pretty well for the 2nd phase of Isshin if you just keep creating enough distance, he''ll run at you and will pretty much only do two moves.where he fires multiple shots that you can block and return damage to him with the loaded umbrella.

There's other ways, but that worked for me. IMO in general you should try to fully master the Genichiro phase and his first phase without using resources so you can save all the healing/emblems for the harder phases.
Yeah, should have mentioned that as well. I was able to get one on Drunkard. I had to wait a long time for him to calm down after I killed his buddies. Then I stealthed him and ran over to the friendly samurai. Maximum cheese, baby!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

An hour, lol. That's nothing.

Second phase work on parrying everything and looking for the mikiri counter with the red kanji as the lance comes swinging down over his head. To get additional damage in look for his overhead jumping lance attack and dodge out of it and get in 1 hit. For more detailed guide I posted a few pages back with a video.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, should have mentioned that as well. I was able to get one on Drunkard. I had to wait a long time for him to calm down after I killed his buddies. Then I stealthed him and ran over to the friendly samurai. Maximum cheese, baby!

That's the way I did it too. Unless you wait on Hirata for a while at that point you aren't very good. So I killed his buddies and ran away. Snuck back when he de-agros and backstabbed him, and then ran and talked to the NPC and it was 2 on 1.

There are more exciting ways, but that is the safest/surest way.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck DoH. The first boss in the game to make me say "fucking really?".

Just got the
flame umbrella
so it might go easier.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
First time playing, just beat Genichiro, spending the last 30 seconds with literally a sliver of health, no gourd charges, and no resurrects left. Phew.

It was around my tenth time attempting him, and my second time getting to the third phase. I think I'm really starting to understand this game.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is the path?

qDjZ2hj.jpg

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck DoH. The first boss in the game to make me say "fucking really?".

Just got the
flame umbrella
so it might go easier.

If you need help, check the threadmarks button at end of this thread. Someone posted a really helpful guide.

I used the umbrella more for his overhead jumping attack, waited and then did the counter. Some use it on his Phase 2 path of fire distance attack, but he has a really exaggerated motion leading up to that attack so I think jumping to the right and grappling is better. The main thing is just to try to avoid him getting any distance on you. When he jumps away, don't stop and regroup and heal, but run after him instantly and run under his fireball attacks. The time to heal is usually when you are right under him and you've got him stunned or he's paused after an attack.

I never mastered his 3rd phase, and really just tried to keep him close and it was a battle of attrition. Death by a thousand cuts.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
First time playing, just beat Genichiro, spending the last 30 seconds with literally a sliver of health, no gourd charges, and no resurrects left. Phew.

It was around my tenth time attempting him, and my second time getting to the third phase. I think I'm really starting to understand this game.

Ten tries is really not that bad at all for him (I know it took me more), and yes, more than any boss he teaches you the fundamentals of the game and you start to really understand how to play and the balance between parry and attack. I think over time you get better and better with you red kanji thrust/swipe/grab reads. Genichiro really teaches you parrying, so after that I think mastering the counters is more of a gradual thing (and will always be somewhat different for different enemies).

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, unless someone can give me some life changing advice on Juzou i quit

I'm just focusing on building up his posture to get finishing blows and have barely gotten him passed his first bar. Mobs keep fucking everything up or I miss time the deflect he eats a life.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just focusing on building up his posture to get finishing blows and have barely gotten him passed his first bar. Mobs keep fucking everything up or I miss time the deflect he eats a life.
Try to separate the mobs or get Juzou far away from the mob, so you can focus on killing the mob one-by-one.

Or you could try running away to make everyone go back to their positions and try to stealth kill some mobs and keep repeating that until only Juzou is left. There are ways to get behind the mobs and land a stealth kill. Don't be afraid to run until you get an opportunity.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Try to separate the mobs or get Juzou far away from the mob, so you can focus on killing the mob one-by-one.

Or you could try running away to make everyone go back to their positions and try to stealth kill some mobs and keep repeating that until only Juzou is left. There are ways to get behind the mobs and land a stealth kill. Don't be afraid to run until you get an opportunity.
Yeah I really want to avoid cheesing, but I get all the mobs down minus the bullshit shield guys I have no idea how to beat.

If the AI guy didn't immediately die I might have had a chance. The Ogre seems worse so I've been trying to beat Juzou first but I have died to him over fifty times at this point. It's incredibly frustrating to conquer a game like Bloodborne or DS3 and immediately hit a brick wall in this. I want to like it, but I am having lots of trouble doing so.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really want to avoid cheesing, but I get all the mobs down minus the bullshit shield guys I have no idea how to beat.
If you stealth kill the shield guys then it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then do you have the Loaded Axe prosthetic? That's another way to get an edge over them. I also highly recommend keeping the AI guy away from those shield assholes. It's best not to have him join the battle until Juzou's the only one left.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
If you stealth kill the shield guys then it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then do you have the Loaded Axe prosthetic? That's another way to get an edge over them. I also highly recommend keeping the AI guy away from those shield assholes. It's best not to have him join the battle until Juzou's the only one left.
Only prosthetics I have are Loaded Shuriken and one from the cannon guy in Ashina.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Only prosthetics I have are Loaded Shuriken and one from the cannon guy in Ashina.
I see. Don't make the same mistake I made. There's the Loaded Axe somewhere before Juzou. It's quite a ways back and I remember some men guarding it. The hint is that you can eavesdrop on them and they will talk about the prosthetic. Once you have this, it will make short work of those shield guys and will save you quite a lot of frustration in the Juzou fight.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Since he's so slow he gives you lots of opportunities to whittle down his health, which will make it easier to break his posture. Stick close to him and keep up the assault, only moving away when he goes for the grab. If you get rid of the mobs in the area first, Nogami Gensai's help makes the fight trivial.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
That's a tough early encounter, but they actually give you some help there because you don't have all the techniques yet for dealing with crowds. The way I did it was sneak around the back through the left corridor, killing the people inside, and started taking out the grunts from behind Juzou and then I ran away and let them reset. If you don't get all the grunts in one shot you can keep doing this waiting for them to de-agro and repeat.

Then I let the drunkard reset and snuck back in and backstabbed him and then went and talked to the NPC standing next to the rock and then it was 2 on 1 for the final health phase.

This is slow, but the safest and surest way to take him out early on. Firecrackers are also helpful so make sure you have those.

Other times I tried this boss later on in NG+, etc. I would still take out the adds but pretty much engage him straight up as later you'll be more powerful and confident in your parrying and strategy.

The game does give you ceramic shards for breaking up enemy groups from the start as well, and later on you get some different combat techniques and a prosthetic even that helps with dealing with crowds. Running in killing a few and running away and letting them de-agro is always a possible strategy as well to thin groups. But the combat techniques I mentioned are really the best thing. I think the Ashina castle boss gives you the first one.

Reposting for Juzou. I'm not really sure its cheesing to take out the mob and then return for a deathblow to start. Alternatively you could go down the left corridor, kill everyone and then come out and backstab Juzou and then go talk to the NPC for help and while he's taking on Juzou try to take out the rest of the mob and then fight Juzou's second phase when you've cleared the mob - that certainly is not cheesing and its why they put the corridor there so you can get behind him and why they put the NPC there so you could get help in dealing with a crowd before the game gives you more combat techniques later to aide in dealing with crowds.

Also, yes you missed a key prosthetic that makes the shield enemies easy.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my 4th playthrough and the last boss fight was as thrilling as ever. Beat him after 6 or 7 tries. Such a good presentation of a final boss. There is only thing left to do now: I still need to farm for 11 skill points despite playing normally through most areas and killing most enemies in my playthroughs. Who thinks of a skill that requires 9 skill points? Wow

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree on the last boss. Its an epic confrontation that is just as thrilling on repeated playthroughs. (And 9 skill points is ridiculous, there is no natural scenario where you would acquire 9 on normal playthrough - maybe for people way better than me.)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
What scares me more than anything is how bad I'm going to be at this game coming back to it in NG+3 playing the (I hope!) DLC later this year. LOL I might just start from scratch.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Since he's so slow he gives you lots of opportunities to whittle down his health, which will make it easier to break his posture. Stick close to him and keep up the assault, only moving away when he goes for the grab. If you get rid of the mobs in the area first, Nogami Gensai's help makes the fight trivial.

Actually think I got the Loaded Axe. But in regards to what you are saying, I do whatever I can to whittle away at his posture, it just doesn't "feel right" to me that I am only able to finish him when he's right around 25% health of that health bar. Feel like I should have cracked him way sooner.

I watched a guide video from Fextralife but the only thing I'm not doing that they did was talk to Nogami after the mob has been eliminated.

I'm about to play again shortly so hopefully I can beat him.

I would also like tips for Chained Ogre too, I feel like this fight is a tad easier for a me, I actually almost beat them the first time. I don't know the best way to avoid its grabs, jumping backwards to the left or right mostly works but sometimes I get caught.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Actually think I got the Loaded Axe. But in regards to what you are saying, I do whatever I can to whittle away at his posture, it just doesn't "feel right" to me that I am only able to finish him when he's right around 25% health of that health bar. Feel like I should have cracked him way sooner.

I watched a guide video from Fextralife but the only thing I'm not doing that they did was talk to Nogami after the mob has been eliminated.

I would also like tips for Chained Ogre too, I feel like this fight is a tad easier for a me, I actually almost beat them the first time. I don't know the best way to avoid its grabs, jumping backwards to the left or right mostly works but sometimes I get caught.

Generally speaking, if an enemy is on the bigger side, you need their health relatively low to start doing lasting posture damage. But sometimes that relative low is just "less than half" or so. It can make the start of fights feel very tough, but on the other hand... once you start doing well, it can feel like you're gaining advantage in a very thrilling way. And then you just need to make sure you keep that momentum up into the next bar of health, and so on.

As far as the ogre, there should be something you can eavesdrop about right near the ogre that will help, if you can do what's hinted. And also...

You can get a stealth blow if you escape from him and hide, and then sneak up on him (maybe using a stealth sugar). Do this immediately, before trying to fight, as it will wipe any damage you did beforehand.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of bigger and slower guys really do require you to down that vitality bar considerably for you to have any meaningful sort of effect, since their attacks are so delayed that you can't rely on building up their posture bar early on. It takes some patience, but you'll get there. Later on you'll find some bosses with swift combos that'll allow you break their posture much faster.

For grabs you'll really want to sprint away, instead of jumping. If you're confident with your timing and positioning, you can dodge to the side and follow up with a counterattack, but I like to play it safe and sprint a ways away, then close the distance with a nightjar slash or loaded spear/shuriken then chasing slice.