• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the best XP farming post is Outskirts Wall - Stairway during the endgame invasion of Ashina (kill guy on tower -> kill guy beneath tower -> kill guy through the gate -> kill the 2-man patrol on the stairs -> idol), but it's a pretty boring grind to get all the points (which I did on NG+ because I never was all that great at this game and didn't think I'd be able to clear NG++ at all, even if it would have been the more entertaining way of getting XP). If you trust your skills and/or powers of perseverance you can just repeatedly run through the game to get XP.

Oh Damn to get to there again i'll have to start and rush through NG++ as once you done the Shuru ending you can get to that point.

:-(

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Oh Damn to get to there again i'll have to start and rush through NG++ as once you done the Shuru ending you can get to that point.

:-(

Well you might have had a pre-Owl decision save backed up. :p

Look at it this way - enjoy your NG++ and if by the endgame you still don't have all the skills and your nerves are too shot to face NG+++ you can farm that spot to round you out.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well you might have had a pre-Owl decision save backed up. :p

Look at it this way - enjoy your NG++ and if by the endgame you still don't have all the skills and your nerves are too shot to face NG+++ you can farm that spot to round you out.

Hmm i do have the pre-owl saved but if i revert back to that can i still get the final trophy without Isshins final technique or would i need to farm then do the Owl sequence and 2 bosses again?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
To get the final trophy you need all the bosses (from both ending branches) on one save file. So depending on what you did in NG and NG+ you might need to keep the pre-Owl choice save around after farming for all the skills so you can reload to get the Shura ending so you have all the bosses on one save file.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Isshin techniques from the shura/sword Saint fights are not required for the all skills trophy (or weren't as I got the platinum, and AFAIK that hasn't changed).

So i'm only missing the 'Height of Technique' trophy so just to clarify I only need to get all the techniques in the skill tree? So if i got every single one (by reverting to an old save) and not the Isshin technique (which is not on the skill tree) then i'm fine?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The Ape gang duo is a shit boss if you don't use prosthetics.... which I didn't.
I thought I was in trouble in that fight until I used Mortal Draw on the other ape. Just started it at a distance and let the ape walk into it.

The range on Mortal Draw makes a lot of sense in that fight.

Agree that the fight is probably a mess if fought without combat arts or tools. Like any fight where you're outnumbered, you usually need to pull out some bullshit to survive.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought I was in trouble in that fight until I used Mortal Draw on the other ape. Just started it at a distance and let the ape walk into it.

The range on Mortal Draw makes a lot of sense in that fight.

Agree that the fight is probably a mess if fought without combat arts or tools. Like any fight where you're outnumbered, you usually need to pull out some bullshit to survive.

looks easy enough (ahem not me, I suck)

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I just finished my 4th playthrough and got the last achievements...

I feel empty, I really enjoyed this game. Hopefully It'll get some dlc.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
So i'm only missing the 'Height of Technique' trophy so just to clarify I only need to get all the techniques in the skill tree? So if i got every single one (by reverting to an old save) and not the Isshin technique (which is not on the skill tree) then i'm fine?

I got Height of Technique on NG+. I finished NG and savescummed the three endings, then entered NG+, got the Shura ending (and the all bosses trophy) and reloaded to before the owl decision, then grinded all techniques at the spot I mentioned. Got Height of Technique although my save didn't have the Shura Isshin technique - so as far as I can tell, you only need the ones from the skill trees (maybe the scroll ones too like the one you can buy from the Pot Noble at Hirata Estate).

Last edited:

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for beating the spear guy guarding the tower once you return to the tower you find the kid at the start of the game (I think he's named Yamauchi)?

I've been trying to beat him for a while but not having much luck. I sneak up on him and get the first critical hit but even then I typically die before I can get him whittled down.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for beating the spear guy guarding the tower once you return to the tower you find the kid at the start of the game (I think he's named Yamauchi)?

I've been trying to beat him for a while but not having much luck. I sneak up on him and get the first critical hit but even then I typically die before I can get him whittled down.

He is easy.. just get the skill where you can attack in the air. And then jump and hit him..you van get him in a stun lock that way. He won't be able to hit you.

Here is a video

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Shura ending Isshin and Emma are kicking my ass. I can't seem to make it to the final phase without using up most of my healing and resurrects, then I keep on getting caught by the fire attacks. The timing is just really difficult for me. Emma is a pain, because I know what I should do, but one slip and it becomes hell. I can't ever get a breather. First phase of Isshin is similar enough to Sword Saint for me to mostly get it down, but I keep on forgetting about that sneaky dodge he does.

Not sure what advice I can give on Emma except for just paying attention and practicing timing. You don't want to use a lot of healing items on her (and you have to get far away to heal), but I will say here tells are pretty clear if you are watching. Key is avoiding her grabs. Mikiris and and parrying that 4 hit combo are key for building posture. Try to dodge around her Ashina Cross and hit her with a Double Ichi. In fact its important to stay in the middle or bring the fight to the middle when you can for both Emma and Isshin because they are vulnerable to attacks from behind.

The rhythm of Isshin's first phase is similar to Emma. Key here is patience and stay in the middle. You are looking to bait his overhead attack and you want to jog - not dodge - around his right side (your left) and punish him from behind with the Double Ichi when he raises his sword over his head. Last phase the key is the lotus umbrella and double ichi. When he starts growling, find a spot on the ground that doesn't have fire and shelter under the umbrella - remember you can move around while sheltered, so if you find yourself on fire simply walk to a spot without it - you have to hold shelter through that attacks and his follow ups and then counter with the umbrella. On his other fire attacks you want to dodge around his left side (your right) and hit him with double ichi from behind.

Here was my run:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oooooh my god, I got this game earlier this week and have been chipping my way through it. It's brutally unforgiving and I have come to learn my reflexes and timing are absolute fucking crap lol.
AKA Genichiro can go suck a god damn duck. I've probably faced him 30+ times already and have only seen his lightning form once. 😂 😰
I can tell I'm ever so slowly getting better at reading his moves and timing mikiri counters, but oh my god is it an uphill battle for me. This bastard might wind up replacing KH2's data battle Xigbar as my Most Frustrating Fight Ever.
I don't know what it is about this battle system, but I am really having a hard time achieving that "click"ing moment with it. Sure is a good thing I'm stubborn as fuck and refuse to give up lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you're having a hard time with that boss, when you get to the castle (after the Bull) is when the game really opens up. So you can always go off and explore the various paths and come back when you have more attack power and prayer beads. There's quite a lot you can do before the game bottlenecks you into facing him to progress the story.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Oooooh my god, I got this game earlier this week and have been chipping my way through it. It's brutally unforgiving and I have come to learn my reflexes and timing are absolute fucking crap lol.
AKA Genichiro can go suck a god damn duck. I've probably faced him 30+ times already and have only seen his lightning form once. 😂 😰
I can tell I'm ever so slowly getting better at reading his moves and timing mikiri counters, but oh my god is it an uphill battle for me. This bastard might wind up replacing KH2's data battle Xigbar as my Most Frustrating Fight Ever.
I don't know what it is about this battle system, but I am really having a hard time achieving that "click"ing moment with it. Sure is a good thing I'm stubborn as fuck and refuse to give up lol.

He's definitely the gatekeeper boss in the game, and may have been my biggest roadblock. Felt like it opened up after him. You attitude is great though, you have to be stubborn on these bosses. As the last poster said, you can explore and try to pick up some prayer beads and upgrade skills (particularly the posture ones are important for him), and also I would make sure you finish Hirata Estate first and be upgraded a couple times on attack power.

A few tips on beating the boss if you want them:

First 2 phases are all about building posture, get hits in where you can, but mainly just so he doesn't regenerate posture. There are 2 key attacks that build posture fast. The first is his overhead jumping slice. The temptation is to dodge but you should only do that if your own posture is about to be broken. Hang in there and parry it and he'll follow with a red kanji attack - in the first phase this a thrust so mikiri counter (in fact you can spam it if you haven't mastered that skill yet) and then get in a hit. In the second phase the red kanji is a swipe so jump and jump bounce and then get in a hit. The second is his flurry attack, you want to trigger this and hang in there and rapidly parry everything.

Otherwise you just have to learn to block/parry all his other attacks, which you are probably getting good at. I can give you more tips later if you would like but this should get you to the third phase more consistently.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I will agree with the above from AndrewGPK. Specifically, I believe that suddenly nailing most of the mikiri counters on my winning run after messing them up a lot is what changed me from doing badly to using very few gourds.

Then the final phase is really just keeping up that momentum and not getting stalled while he has a full bar, I feel. I actually got to that phase only a few times because when I finally got back to it on that run, I didn't hesitate and managed to keep things going even if I had to use up a lot of my remaining heals. Just be sure to remember that hint from the dojo, because you want to get that right.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's become increasingly unlikely that'll well get DLC for this. 😔

Breaks my heart.

Is that the case?

This is the first one of these games I've actively played (I tried a few hours of Dark Souls years ago but it was far after release as it was on PC, will play my Switch copy eventually) so possibly I'm just unsure of how this has gone in the past, but is it really so unlikely already?

It's hard to find exactly when things were announced, but it looks like only Dark Souls 2 had DLC announced before this point (in June) with a similar original release date. Seems like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 had their DLC announced in late August and September. And 1's DLC announcement was maybe even further (October release to May?), but of course it'd be a little hard to compare against something from 8 years ago.

Of course, I'm lacking context- maybe there were lots of interviews saying "we'll have DLC" for those, rumors, etc. But from time passed alone, I'm not sure if it's unlikely. I'm trying not to expect anything, but it would determine how I handle NG+ and skill farming for the Plat, so I'm not sure what to do just yet, hah.

EDIT: whoops, sorry for double posting

EDIT2: Ah, I see, some insider stuff in the past couple weeks and art book coming out. That's unfortunate. Hopefully Elden Ring is something I enjoy; new Armored Core will probably be my type of thing as well if that happens. Just don't think I'm going to enjoy traditional Souls style as much since the movement/combat flow is a big part of the draw here, so I don't know if I'll be dipping back except for that copy of 1 I already have.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Most of the discussion is buried over in the Elden Ring thread but the Artbook for Sekiro has been announced for release soon, and they always release the Artbook after the DLC, since the book includes art for the DLC as well.

And also, in that thread, a person with inside information stated that no work on Sekiro DLC is taking place at From.

This doesn't completely rule out the possibility of a DLC, but it does make it less likely. I really truly hope I'm wrong.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
It's become increasingly unlikely that'll well get DLC for this. 😔

Breaks my heart.

I hope that's not the case. DLC for this would be my most anticipated title for the rest of the year, lol.

I think it has sold pretty well, so don't see a reason for them to abandon this line - and the ending(s) really set the stage for DLC or a sequel.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I will agree with the above from AndrewGPK. Specifically, I believe that suddenly nailing most of the mikiri counters on my winning run after messing them up a lot is what changed me from doing badly to using very few gourds.

Then the final phase is really just keeping up that momentum and not getting stalled while he has a full bar, I feel. I actually got to that phase only a few times because when I finally got back to it on that run, I didn't hesitate and managed to keep things going even if I had to use up a lot of my remaining heals. Just be sure to remember that hint from the dojo, because you want to get that right.

The hard part of that final phase is that it takes a while to get there so you have limited chances to practice it and the lightening reversal. On the final phase you should be more aggressive because he's open to more vitality damage. Understand that healing will lead to his leaping thrust, so either Mikiri or dodge out and counter. And when he jumps to do lightening you jump and if you get hit, hit r1 right away before landing to counter it. Its pretty hard as I said to really practice this at this point, so just jumping and spamming r1 may be the best tactic - you'll either dodge the lightening or better yet counter it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I hope that's not the case. DLC for this would be my most anticipated title for the rest of the year, lol.

I think it has sold pretty well, so don't see a reason for them to abandon this line - and the ending(s) really set the stage for DLC or a sequel.

I truly hope it's not the case as well. Sekiro's only flaw in my eyes is that it's thin content wise. Only one optional area, too many areas are reused, too many boss arenas are reused, too many bosses are reused, and the game's short. The spectacular gameplay deserves more content to be applied to and an Old Hunters Length DLC would be awesome.

Not having DLC would be borderline tragic. And the tone for many in the ER thread is, well Sekiro is alright but if this means more developers working on ER, then I don't care.

And I simply can't share that attitude since my hype for ER is basically nil. Mostly because we haven't even seen it! Of course my hype will grow as soon as they show gameplay, and I'll most likely play the shit out of it, but for the time being, I'm envisioning DS3 with a SoTC open hubworld connecting areas and that's much less appealing to my brain right now than Sekiro DLC.

Last edited:

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Started NG+ without Kuro's charm and it's almost a pain. With only 30-45 mins/day at most to play I think I'm about to throw in the towel and get the charm back. I don't have time getting continually one-shot by the drunkard in Hirata Estate.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Red Liquorice , AndrewGPK , deepFlaw - thanks you all!

I've done some other exploring! I've cleared out Hirata Estate, the Reservoir, found the Sunken Valley (tried a few times on that boss with no luck but read all the enemies clear out to make it a bit easier later so decided to hold off there), came across one of the Headless but I don't have anything for terror atm and farming isn't very fun so I need to hit a higher frustration threshold before I resort to that one. I know there's some temple or something somewhere, but I haven't yet come across that. I have three prayer necklaces and six gourd uses atm so I feel like I should be in a really good spot to face this guy.... and like I know what I need to do for each of his moves, it's just my reaction time doesn't seem to be fast enough. For example, I'll know I'll need to deflect at a certain moment, but half the time my fingers will still move too slow. Or I'll mistime the deflect on his jump and so ruin my mikiri follow up opportunity. And when I do manage to get to his second phase, he switches it up by doing either a sweep or a lunge attack after his jumps! By the time I realize which he's doing it's too late to react and he wrecks me LOL.

So fighting him feels a lot like I just need to learn his patterns and then go to make my retaliation move before he even does his or I won't make the responses in time. It's very frustrating! I'm definitely getting better at it, but good lord. But I am determined!! I will beat this asshole eventually, damn it!
Although I may give in and take a break soon to try and grind some new skills; I know there are a few I could get that increase posture damage that might help.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Red Liquorice , AndrewGPK , deepFlaw - thanks you all!

I've done some other exploring! I've cleared out Hirata Estate, the Reservoir, found the Sunken Valley (tried a few times on that boss with no luck but read all the enemies clear out to make it a bit easier later so decided to hold off there), came across one of the Headless but I don't have anything for terror atm and farming isn't very fun so I need to hit a higher frustration threshold before I resort to that one. I know there's some temple or something somewhere, but I haven't yet come across that. I have three prayer necklaces and six gourd uses atm so I feel like I should be in a really good spot to face this guy.... and like I know what I need to do for each of his moves, it's just my reaction time doesn't seem to be fast enough. For example, I'll know I'll need to deflect at a certain moment, but half the time my fingers will still move too slow. Or I'll mistime the deflect on his jump and so ruin my mikiri follow up opportunity. And when I do manage to get to his second phase, he switches it up by doing either a sweep or a lunge attack after his jumps! By the time I realize which he's doing it's too late to react and he wrecks me LOL.

So fighting him feels a lot like I just need to learn his patterns and then go to make my retaliation move before he even does his or I won't make the responses in time. It's very frustrating! I'm definitely getting better at it, but good lord. But I am determined!! I will beat this asshole eventually, damn it!
Although I may give in and take a break soon to try and grind some new skills; I know there are a few I could get that increase posture damage that might help.

Spamming parry can be effective, so at this stage don't over emphasize trying to perfectly parry everything - sure it builds posture damage better, but missing a perfect one is basically a block. As I said before, with his jumping overhead attack in Phase 1 its always a mikiri and spamming the counter works here. In Phase 2 its always followed with a swipe so jump bounce combo and hit him back.

I have a video of me taking him on in NG+ - you'll know its NG+ because I recorded the cut scenes (rather than skip like you have to do because of so many attempts the first time through), because the second playthrough he's actually pretty easy. You can see some of the strategies I mentioned. For me, getting descent at most Mikiri counters took most of the game to really learn - and even then its still not perfect because different enemies have variable thrust speeds. So my Mikiris here are probably way better than I was able to pull off first time through.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spamming parry can be effective, so at this stage don't over emphasize trying to perfectly parry everything - sure it builds posture damage better, but missing a perfect one is basically a block. As I said before, with his jumping overhead attack in Phase 1 its always a mikiri and spamming the counter works here. In Phase 2 its always followed with a swipe so jump bounce combo and hit him back.

I have a video of me taking him on in NG+ - you'll know its NG+ because I recorded the cut scenes (rather than skip like you have to do because of so many attempts the first time through), because the second playthrough he's actually pretty easy. You can see some of the strategies I mentioned. For me, getting descent at most Mikiri counters took most of the game to really learn - and even then its still not perfect because different enemies have variable thrust speeds. So my Mikiris here are probably way better than I was able to pull off first time through.

Well I have to make sure I get some attacks in, too, right? It's the switching from attacking to deflecting that my reflex time is awful, although I'm working at it and it's getting a bit better. Also he definitely uses both the swipe and the thrust in his phase 2, not just the swipe. I would know, cuz I've tripped up on them probably a dozen times already lol. Trying to program myself to distinguish between his crouch and spin for the swipe and pull back for the thrust but it's slow going.

And thanks for sharing the video! Although right now I'm still trying to figure it out without giving in to watch how others doing it, but I appreciate it a lot! 💪

I went and got some of the Carp latent skills and it's made a marked improvement. I managed to reach the lightning phase again and i'm more consistently getting to his phase 2 so I think I'm getting there!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the posture skills help a lot. First time I fought him I gave up after a while. Went and upgraded prayer beads on a few minibosses (not easy), and upgraded the 2 posture-based skills and when I returned it felt like a big difference. On Phase 2, its usually a swipe if it follows the overhead attack. You may be better off assuming that rather than trying to read at this point. (probability > your reaction time at this point)

Take single swipes to keep him engaged and sometimes get damage in, but I wouldn't recommend be overly aggressive. You can get swipes in with successful counters and sometimes you'll just figure a way to get them in. He likes to circle you sometimes before doing that big flurry attack and he's open to attack there as well.

Anyway, he's meant to teach you the game mechanics and how to really play it, so think of the struggle as a good investment that will make the rest of the game easier.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yaaaaaaasssss!!!! I beat him, finally! Take that buttmunch! Now on to the next area and boss that'll wreck my ass! 😂

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have recently started the game and I'm enjoying it a lot.
The snake managed to get me once, though I was actually going the right way after stabbing it in the eye.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Geez whats the deal with the Corrupted Monk? Really not a fun fight if I'm being honest. I got him down a few times to about 1/3 of his health but at that point I've usually run out of flasks (have 7). He's kind of killing my motivation to push on at this point. I suppose I could try the Guardian Ape again, but he seemed even harder haha. I've done pretty much everything else up to this point I think, there's a 2nd Headless nearby, but I've skipped him for now. I used most of my confetti on the first Headless. I've also killed O'Ren which already took quite a few tries. I'm loving this game in general but the difficulty on these bosses is a little too much I think. Not sure what to do about this Corrupted Monk other that just sticking with it and hoping that after so many tries I'll have it down, but like I said, my motivation is starting to dwindle at this point.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Firecrackers are very effective against the Corrupted Monk. Use them to create an opening and land a couple of hits in. Snap seeds also work. Sugar will help you deal even more vitality damage.

You need to bring her Vitality to about 50% before you can deal some real posture damage that sticks. After you reach that threshold, deflecting her attacks and countering her perilous attacks will be your best bet. It's not hard once you get her patterns down. I actually consider that fight the most fun in the game.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Guardian Ape and Corrupted Monk are two of my favourite bosses. Corrupted Monk is especially Soulsy to me in that it has a nice slower back and forth pace to it than some other bosses that are more in your face. She has a lot of attacks and I think it's just about learning them and getting used to the different follow-ups. There's a lot of opportunities for damage because of that Soulsy ebb and flow.

Agree with Noema about getting her HP down before going for the posture bar. I just avoid the 5 hit spin attack completely until I'm ready to fill up the posture bar. Right at the start of the fight you can get a few hits in, so I usually use buffs at the start and get damage in up front. I wouldn't waste confetti, sugars or snap seeds until you're confident with the fight, and then use them to just speed up the fight. Ash and firecrackers can be abused to cheese the fight - that's not fun though, is it?! :)

Guardian Ape usually ends with me draining HP completely rather than going for posture. Just find when to get damage in.
In the second phase after the big sword slam is where you can get damage in because of how long it takes for it to recover. You can use the spear to damage the centipede in the neck too during this time

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Hey thanks for the tips. Alright I'm gonna give it another go. I've been mainly focusing on getting its health down that I forgot to switch to getting its posture up at some point. I'll have to remember to do that around 50%. Admittedly I was already using the firecracker. :(

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I fought Corrupted Monk after the monkeys and after Guardian Ape (and one other boss battle), so for me she was pretty easy because my attack power was really high and I just used some sugar and confetti with firecrackers and it went really quick.

I don't want to give much away about the Guardian Ape, but its one of my favorite bosses and if you get stuck there are a lot of helpful hints that make that fight not too bad, so feel free to ask for help. I don't want to spoil the fight though.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On my fourth playtrough and I can confirm that the blazing bull is by far the most annoying mandatory boss fight in the game. God I hate this pos.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've only done 2 playthroughs, but I've never had much trouble with the bull. I think he gave me trouble until I realized he could be parried and how effective just block was at minimizing damage.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what advice I can give on Emma except for just paying attention and practicing timing. You don't want to use a lot of healing items on her (and you have to get far away to heal), but I will say here tells are pretty clear if you are watching. Key is avoiding her grabs. Mikiris and and parrying that 4 hit combo are key for building posture. Try to dodge around her Ashina Cross and hit her with a Double Ichi. In fact its important to stay in the middle or bring the fight to the middle when you can for both Emma and Isshin because they are vulnerable to attacks from behind.

The rhythm of Isshin's first phase is similar to Emma. Key here is patience and stay in the middle. You are looking to bait his overhead attack and you want to jog - not dodge - around his right side (your left) and punish him from behind with the Double Ichi when he raises his sword over his head. Last phase the key is the lotus umbrella and double ichi. When he starts growling, find a spot on the ground that doesn't have fire and shelter under the umbrella - remember you can move around while sheltered, so if you find yourself on fire simply walk to a spot without it - you have to hold shelter through that attacks and his follow ups and then counter with the umbrella. On his other fire attacks you want to dodge around his left side (your right) and hit him with double ichi from behind.

Here was my run:

Finally managed to do it, thanks for the tips! Like with ISS, I stepped away for a few days and then came back to find the fight much more manageable.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only done 2 playthroughs, but I've never had much trouble with the bull. I think he gave me trouble until I realized he could be parried and how effective just block was at minimizing damage.

Yeah, he isn't difficult per se. But it is just so not fun fighting against him. I'm just constantly running after him trying to get in some hits. Parrying is too unreliable because of the camera.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never parry the bull. My method is just to get in to a rhythm of running with him so I can get a few hits in as he turns to charge back the other way. Firecrackers every now and again for a few more hits.

Mar 22, 2019
How is it possible i've made it through the entire game, beaten owl father twice and yet i cannot for the life of me get past phase 2 of isshin sword saint (assuming Genchiro is phase1)?
This game is honestly so confusing with its difficulty spikes its almost going overboard and ruining other game experiences for me!

Sure i'll beat him at some point and i really wanted to get the plat for Sekiro but at the rate i'm going i dont think i'll bother.

Agree with what other folks have said above - its not that its a hard fight per say; its easy to bait - just VERY unforgiving once you get hit once its almost teasing you to go no-hit the entire fight...also takes too long to get to the subsequent phases to practice and learn the moves.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it possible i've made it through the entire game, beaten owl father twice and yet i cannot for the life of me get past phase 2 of isshin sword saint (assuming Genchiro is phase1)?
This game is honestly so confusing with its difficulty spikes its almost going overboard and ruining other game experiences for me!

Sure i'll beat him at some point and i really wanted to get the plat for Sekiro but at the rate i'm going i dont think i'll bother.

Agree with what other folks have said above - its not that its a hard fight per say; its easy to bait - just VERY unforgiving once you get hit once its almost teasing you to go no-hit the entire fight...also takes too long to get to the subsequent phases to practice and learn the moves.
I think everyone hits this wall.

Trust me, you're gonna stomp him in a week's time tops.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the final boss, after spending some time on it the past two nights. Watching the endings now, restoring my save for them, etc.

...honestly, I do not think it was that bad? Spent maybe 1.5 hours each the past two nights and about the same now, so let's say <5 hours total. Not sure I spent that much on any other boss, mind, but it didn't feel like distinctly bad. Especially as I wasn't exactly in top form the past 2 sessions (it was past midnight and I was bleary eyed, then it was earlier but not that much earlier and I had a headache forming).

Like... I don't think I'm some pro at the game or anything to be clear. Not even fucking close! And maybe it's just that I had all the necklaces + memories. But could people elaborate on what they had so much trouble with? I wanna know how lucky I got, haha.

I fairly quickly got to the point where I could deal down Gen and/or first bar without taking much damage. But that wasn't constant.

By the end I'd say Gen was weirdly way worse than the first bar. A lot of my time fighting the boss was wasted on false starts with Gen, where I'd just casually deflect really well and then run right into a thrust I meant to Mikiri, and it would fuck me over. Sometimes I'd recover but sometimes it would doom it already. So I would just accept death, etc.

First phase's attacks took a bit to learn but it was easy enough patterns. Compared to most other bosses, it was easier for me to see what attacks he did together, considering there were usually only a few hits? Get knocked back, Mikiri (and when this messed up I'd at least weirdly dodge into him, vs Gen's landing); he charges and goes forward, jump and punish the sweep. I'd attack till he deflected, I'd deflect his 3 hits. Etc. Of course, having said all that, in reviewing the video I saved, I guess I blocked out that he totally killed me early in the the first bar on the winning run, lmao.

Would confetti + ako at start of bar 2. This was definitely the worst of it for me. I could deflect most ok but there was a lot of hits I'd just eat. The worst was the thrust- I'd fucking constantly think it was a sweep for some reason, and jump right into it. Even the last time, I'd been countering it well but had some bad luck - accidentally went into Ichimonji Double, which broke him but I couldn't follow it up because he hit me back right as it happened, so I had to keep fighting - and then he used it and I foolishly ate it one last time before I got the blow.

Then bar 3 was... not worse? Certainly the lightning could be bad, but turning it against him helped. Just had to hold on enough to finish things; I only ever got here a few times, and often was completely out of healing. The time I got closest before the win, I had bad luck... used a jizo (for the first time?) only to immediately die, then did well enough until I took a bad hit and went flying over the edge. It was... frustrating. But the last time, it really did not feel that bad. Appropriately it reminds me of that extra Gen phase, where I also did not get to it much and just had to power through when I finally came into it with healing left.

In the end, I had 1/10 gourd left and I think 2 pellets even. Think I used confetti at start of bar 2 as usual and then twice more during 3, due to lightning wiping it. Had resurrected twice since he killed me again in the last bar. Used 17/18 emblems, mostly on Mist Raven just to give myself space after being hurt but some on Purple Flame Spark later on; I feel like I never got a good feel for what tools would serve me best. Snow, divine grass, jizo, bite down, etc. were unused this last time, which surprised me. Was expecting I'd have to use snow at least.

Overall... I certainly had trouble, but it was not a boss that dwelled in Camera Hell, and even bar 2 which I never fully learned did not feel ridiculous like some bosses could feel. The attacks generally were things I could read and respond to; more than most fights I felt like it was genuinely my fault for failing. So... I'm glad it ended on a fight that felt fair! I was just surprised since people made it seem way way more imposing, hmm.

Oct 25, 2017
Relatively speaking, Genichiro and Owl were harder for me than the last boss. These two made me want to quit the game.

The hardest boss award for me goes to Demon of Hatred. I