• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I need to get back to this game. I got stuck on the boss you fight in the prolgoue again.. looking at the trophy list I'm pretty surprised at the relatively high % of people who have the plat

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
there is a trophy for beating all bosses and the game must register all of them in a single file that's why most people go for a 1st playthrough where they get all the bosses (minus 2 from the Shura path), save before the very last final moment to get the 3 good endings and then on the 2nd playthrough they save before the decision that pushes you towards the Shura ending, beat said bosses on that path and then after the trophies unlocked, restore the save before the decision and continue towards the good endings to gather Lapis Lazulli and most likely grind a long time for skills points.

that's the fastest path towards the platinum.

2nd playthrough is shorter as long as you run past everything and play with a "straight to final boss" mentality, don't waste time being stealthy or anything. just run past everything and avoid optional fights,

Yep, I agree as that is how I did it. You'll pretty much sail through NG+ until the Shura ending.

I also recommend that after you grind out for the skill points - and it can take a few monotonous hours - that you go and fight the last boss again before putting down the game - you don't want to end it with all that grinding, and the last boss is pretty fun on the second playthrough.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
oh man i'm having a hard time with the guardian ape.

i can get to his second phase quite easily but i just can't seem to get enough damage done. only once so far have i got the health down to about 1/4 but i had no resurrection or health potions left.

i'm doing this without any prosthetic skills too. i've ran out of spirit emblems. i went and farmed some sens and sold some stuff to buy more but i'm out of them again.

i can dodge his main attacks fine. the farting, poop throwing, the grabbing, the terror scream. i know his most vulnerable moments in which to attack but i just keep dying :(

should i just leave him for now and come back later? after i beat him i was about to start the depths. can i just go there and get a bit stronger then come back later? when am i forced to defeat the guardian ape to get the lotus?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

i can get to his second phase quite easily but i just can't seem to get enough damage done. only once so far have i got the health down to about 1/4 but i had no resurrection or health potions left.

i'm doing this without any prosthetic skills too. i've ran out of spirit emblems. i went and farmed some sens and sold some stuff to buy more but i'm out of them again.

i can dodge his main attacks fine. the farting, poop throwing, the grabbing, the terror scream. i know his most vulnerable moments in which to attack but i just keep dying :(

should i just leave him for now and come back later? after i beat him i was about to start the depths. can i just go there and get a bit stronger then come back later? when am i forced to defeat the guardian ape to get the lotus?

If you can get to the second phase you should be able to beat him now. His sword attacks are very telegraphed, and after deflecting two in a row, he will do an overhead slash that if deflected, leaves him downed briefly, that's when you attack. If you want an even better tip to make it easier.

Farm Spirit Emblems and use the Spear Thrust-Pull when he is downed. You'll do a large amount of posture + Health damage and can get a few hits in. Do this around 4/5 times and he's dead.

Oct 25, 2017
I have 39 prayer beads and can't figure out for the life of me which one I'm missing! I'm looking through the list and I remember getting pretty much all of them except for two, but those two I got from the offering box anyway!

Is there any straight up missable prayer beads?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

the second phase of guardian ape is easy. Parry his sword attack, and don't attack until he does the big attack and fall, parry the big attack and hit him multiple times when he falls.

Repeat 3,4 times and its easy win. I killed him first try on second phase.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
If you can get to the second phase you should be able to beat him now. His sword attacks are very telegraphed, and after deflecting two in a row, he will do an overhead slash that if deflected, leaves him downed briefly, that's when you attack. If you want an even better tip to make it easier.

Farm Spirit Emblems and use the Spear Thrust-Pull when he is downed. You'll do a large amount of posture + Health damage and can get a few hits in. Do this around 4/5 times and he's dead.
the second phase of guardian ape is easy. Parry his sword attack, and don't attack until he does the big attack and fall, parry the big attack and hit him multiple times when he falls.

Repeat 3,4 times and its easy win. I killed him first try on second phase.
thank you both for the advice. i managed to not only kill him but i have progressed through the depths and took on him again with the other ape! i was struggling so much and now i killed him twice along with his girlfriend :)

now i'm just at the hidden forest. i need a break. i am actually shaking with nerves or excitement (maybe both).

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I have 39 prayer beads and can't figure out for the life of me which one I'm missing! I'm looking through the list and I remember getting pretty much all of them except for two, but those two I got from the offering box anyway!

have you gone into the hirata estate a second time for purification ending. There's a prayer bead in there. If you've beaten divine dragon you may have to do that in Ng+

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017

Check the offering box at the dilapidated temple near the immortal guy. Depending on where you are in the game, there is at least 1 miniboss that will go away if you don't find him. For me it was
Lone Shadow Spearbearer Masanaga who you can find at the great serpent shrine idol after the initial attack on the castle. But if you dont find him (there isnt really a reason to go back there at this point) before going to Fountainhead, he won't be there anymore. Also maybe try the bottom of the water in mibu village, senpou temple grounds, and fountainhead!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started the game tonight, just curious about one thing - got the bell which led me to a flashback sequence and I stopped making any progress in the game game to do that bit instead. I'm up to Lady Butterfly and can get to the second phase, but kinda get stomped on that phase. What point is it suggested to tackle this fight? I've not really acquired much of anything in terms of upgrades, so I'm going to carry on with the main game for a while and unlock more.

I'm loving the game though, even though Butterfly stomps me in the second phase, I really love her first phase, its a great back and forth battle against her, and really makes me appreciate how fast and hectic the combat can be.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started the game tonight, just curious about one thing - got the bell which led me to a flashback sequence and I stopped making any progress in the game game to do that bit instead. I'm up to Lady Butterfly and can get to the second phase, but kinda get stomped on that phase. What point is it suggested to tackle this fight? I've not really acquired much of anything in terms of upgrades, so I'm going to carry on with the main game for a while and unlock more.

I'm loving the game though, even though Butterfly stomps me in the second phase, I really love her first phase, its a great back and forth battle against her, and really makes me appreciate how fast and hectic the combat can be.
You don't really get stronger over the course of this game—at least, not in the same way as you do in other Souls games. You'll pick up a bit of health and your attacks will get a bit stronger, but it's not like some areas are effectively higher-level than others, or like you can do things out of order. In this game, if you can do something—be it fighting a boss or getting through an area—you are more than equipped to do that thing, at least in terms of character ability.

That said, I think most players fight Lady Butterfly at the point you're at. If you're struggling with her, you should feel totally free to go do something else for a while. That said, you aren't going to pick up any items or abilities that'll make that fight easier. The only thing that'll make the fight easier is learning and improving in other fights throughout the game—the same as sticking with Lady Butterfly now will make other fights easier, as you'll be coming to them having learned the lessons that Lady Butterfly is designed to teach you. There's a lot that the game is going to teach you about how to use its combat system, but you have some control over where and how you get taught those things.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You don't really get stronger over the course of this game—at least, not in the same way as you do in other Souls games. You'll pick up a bit of health and your attacks will get a bit stronger, but it's not like some areas are effectively higher-level than others, or like you can do things out of order. In this game, if you can do something—be it fighting a boss or getting through an area—you are more than equipped to do that thing, at least in terms of character ability.

That said, I think most players fight Lady Butterfly at the point you're at. If you're struggling with her, you should feel totally free to go do something else for a while. That said, you aren't going to pick up any items or abilities that'll make that fight easier. The only thing that'll make the fight easier is learning and improving in other fights throughout the game—the same as sticking with Lady Butterfly now will make other fights easier, as you'll be coming to them having learned the lessons that Lady Butterfly is designed to teach you. There's a lot that the game is going to teach you about how to use its combat system, but you have some control over where and how you get taught those things.
Good to know. I unlocked a couple of different skills which I quite like, but yeah doubt it'll dramatically change the tide of battle. I did grab a few health related upgrades as I decided to explore the present day and beat that Ogre? thing really easily. Just cleared that cool serpent section and hit the next checkpoint. Tempted to go back to Butterfly now, I don't see any reason why I'd not be able to clear her, I mean I can do the first phase, and the second phase extras don't make it dramatically harder.
Definitely feeling like I'm getting the hang of the combat more though, especially parrying/countering. Its got such a nice rhythm to its sword fights, the back and forth against the mini bosses is fantastic.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
there is a trophy for beating all bosses and the game must register all of them in a single file that's why most people go for a 1st playthrough where they get all the bosses (minus 2 from the Shura path), save before the very last final moment to get the 3 good endings and then on the 2nd playthrough they save before the decision that pushes you towards the Shura ending, beat said bosses on that path and then after the trophies unlocked, restore the save before the decision and continue towards the good endings to gather Lapis Lazulli and most likely grind a long time for skills points.

2nd playthrough is shorter as long as you run past everything and play with a "straight to final boss" mentality, don't waste time being stealthy or anything. just run past everything and avoid optional fights,
I got everything to get the frozen tear so now I'm just running through and trying to get to the end. To do the three endings do I just reload each time and it will save that? That's the part I'm fuzzy on. So reload the save at the end all three times to get the three different ending trophies and then do NG+, get up to where I would do the shura path, do that and after defeating the two bosses the Man without Trophy will pop?

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
GOT HIM!!!!! Man did that feel good finally getting this jerk!!! This was the final boss, right? ;)

I felt like something clicked and I could just deflect anything he threw at me... such an awesome feeling.

Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-How-to-Beat-Genichiro-Ashina.jpg

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing game, finally finished this yesterday with the purification ending. Apart from Father Owl (Hirata Estate), I was never too stuck on any boss.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Beat what I assume is the first real boss (the dude on the horse) and honestly, that was easier than I expected! So I went back and tried Lady Butterfly again, and yeah, that one was harder! Still took a few tries, mainly down to me being silly with my attacks, but I got better and better and eventually beat her. Which was immensely satisfying - just the right balance of challenge and fair, a fantastically constructed boss fight. I can definitely see why this game is winning so many GOTY awards, its bloody brilliant.
Love the setting as well, the Japanese setting, samurai etc. I personally prefer it to the fantasy setting on other titles (which is part of why I loved Nioh so much, well that and the combat system).

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Last night I bested the Horse Boss, Raging Bull and the Armored Warrior on the bridge. That last one was absolutely tough as nails because it took an entirely different approach. It did feel damn good.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

One last question, if you don't mind. Once I start NG plus after doing all three endings, will I also be able to finally finish all the upgrades to the prosthetic tool? Right now I'm like half way through the upgrades but some are locked and say I haven't met the prerequisites but I'm damn near at the end of the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Explored more today and ended up opening several areas and just kinda sampling each, those monk dudes looked harmless... yeah I really gotta stop underestimating enemies! Though I do have the firework and loaded spear and those are fantastic against normal enemies.

Perhaps my favourite bit/area though is the outsides of Ashina Castle - the tall buildings with enemies hiding out below, and above give me a real next gen Tenchu vibe there as I scaled the rooftops and stealth killed enemies. Heading inside the castle and the enemies difficulty stepped up nicely, with the samurai in there feeling more powerful, not so much in a damaging way but just that they are more skilled and proficient at sword fighting, so I had to step my game up as well.
Then there was Genichiro himself... yeah, I died... loads! His final phase kicked my as a number of times because I just sucked at dodging, my own fault really. But that feeling when I nailed a counter and finished him off... (well, for now anyway)

Personally speaking, this difficulty level right here is perfect for me. Its hard for sure, with bosses kicking my ass several times before I nail them but the whole game just feels so much better for it - especially when you perfect the art of tackling groups of enemies and taking them out with few to none hits.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
yesterday i defeated O'rin of the water and got up to the corrupted monk. so now i have 2 of the items Kuro needs. i'm feeling after those guardian ape fights that my skill has improved at the game.

so far i'd say the fights i've struggled with most are: Juzou, Butterfly, Seven Spears Yamauchi, and the Guardian Ape.

Easiest fights: Oniwa, Genichiro, Folding Screen Monkeys, Corrupted Monk, Tokujiro.

Tokujiro kinda got me freaked out because of what I went t hrough with Juzou but he was a pushover. I was also going to add Mist Noble/Great Serpent but they are just both pathetic.

Today i've got through Ashina Castle again. I've decided to stay loyal to Kuro so now trying to fight the owl.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I need to get back to this game. I got stuck on the boss you fight in the prolgoue again.. looking at the trophy list I'm pretty surprised at the relatively high % of people who have the plat

It's probably the easiest FromSoft Platinum, to be fair. The boss you got stuck on is a gateway boss. If you beat him the rest of the game won't be that difficult. That boss pretty much tests all of the skills you need to finish the game.

One last question, if you don't mind. Once I start NG plus after doing all three endings, will I also be able to finally finish all the upgrades to the prosthetic tool? Right now I'm like half way through the upgrades but some are locked and say I haven't met the prerequisites but I'm damn near at the end of the game.

Yes. You in fact need to reach Fountainhead Palace again in order to collect the remaining Lapis Lazuli you need for the final upgrades. This will also be a good opportunity to grind for the other materials that do drop from enemies and the XP required for the final skills.

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably the easiest FromSoft Platinum, to be fair. The boss you got stuck on is a gateway boss. If you beat him the rest of the game won't be that difficult. That boss pretty much tests all of the skills you need to finish the game.

ahh thanks..I will have to try again. I like Sekiro a lot but I suck at the timing of blocks in the game. I guess also when the game launched I didn't have as much time to endlessly try bosses like I did in the souls games.

Is the ape boss not a lot harder?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
ahh thanks..I will have to try again. I like Sekiro a lot but I suck at the timing of blocks in the game. I guess also when the game launched I didn't have as much time to endlessly try bosses like I did in the souls games.

Is the ape boss not a lot harder?

I personally don't think so, at least not on NG+. It's not that Genichiro is particularly hard compared to the rest of the bosses either; it's just that he's the first real challenge in the game; a sort of break it or make it moment. That's why I feel that anyone who can beat Genichiro can deal with the rest of the game.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i defeated Owl!

now i've just arrived at Fountainhead Palace.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I just started this game last night. I've tried to get into Bloodbourne and Dark Souls 3 to no avail. I just didnt find the settings really to my tastes. I am very happy with Sekiro and the setting. I also love the movement mechanics. Being able to grapple away from an enemy for a moment of respite is helpful. Although I do suspect that will change when I progress more into the game.

I just beat my first Ogre last night. I love the counter system and the addition of Stealth Mechanics is greatly appreciated. Any tips for someone still on the early parts of the game?

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I just started this game last night. I've tried to get into Bloodbourne and Dark Souls 3 to no avail. I just didnt find the settings really to my tastes. I am very happy with Sekiro and the setting. I also love the movement mechanics. Being able to grapple away from an enemy for a moment of respite is helpful. Although I do suspect that will change when I progress more into the game.

I just beat my first Ogre last night. I love the counter system and the addition of Stealth Mechanics is greatly appreciated. Any tips for someone still on the early parts of the game?

Glad you're enjoying it. Get the mikiri skill first.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
What a ride! I finally beat the last boss. Sekiro became my No.1 FROM game,. I guess i will play again for shorter ending too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So just to confirm. Im not being cheap by grappling away everytime things get dicey?
I've been doing the same. If the game lets me exploit the AI like that, damn right I'm doing it! I love the feel of the combat but going against several enemies at once doesn't seem like a smart move at times, especially if your fighting a boss with several enemies supporting him, easier to pick them off one by one.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so who's this Robert kid? Big boy in the armor screamed it when I yeeted him off that cliff

Also did not expect to find the Mortal Blade so soon

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I've been doing the same. If the game lets me exploit the AI like that, damn right I'm doing it! I love the feel of the combat but going against several enemies at once doesn't seem like a smart move at times, especially if your fighting a boss with several enemies supporting him, easier to pick them off one by one.

Thats what I did! I think part of it is that I found the option didnt exist in Soulsbourne games previously. So it felt like it was making the game easier in a way. Which is the Antithesis to From games lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what I did! I think part of it is that I found the option didnt exist in Soulsbourne games previously. So it felt like it was making the game easier in a way. Which is the Antithesis to From games lol
The more I plat the more useful moves I unlock though that help me get back into stealth mode easy. Plus where possible if I can stealth attack a boss for a whole bar of damage, I'm definitely taking it. I appreciate how the game lets you play the game in different ways, stealth definitely feels like the easier approach at times with the instant kills, but its super handy in certain circumstances.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
The more I plat the more useful moves I unlock though that help me get back into stealth mode easy. Plus where possible if I can stealth attack a boss for a whole bar of damage, I'm definitely taking it. I appreciate how the game lets you play the game in different ways, stealth definitely feels like the easier approach at times with the instant kills, but its super handy in certain circumstances.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to make a mini Boss battle a bit easier by sneaking up and Stealth attacking the enemy and then skirting away and getting an extra hit in before grappling away and just striking him from above.

God I love this game

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to make a mini Boss battle a bit easier by sneaking up and Stealth attacking the enemy and then skirting away and getting an extra hit in before grappling away and just striking him from above.

God I love this game
Yeah, combat feels super slick, like a newer, slicker version of Tenchu what with the mix of grappling, stealth and action. Definitely can see why its winning so many GOTY awards that's for sure.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is this game harder than Nioh?
Depends on many factors to be honest. I'd say yes, overall, not counting Nioh's DLC.

Nioh has a lot of really hard side missions, like insanely hard, but they're optional. The mandatory content is generally quite manageable compared to Sekiro's harder mandatory moments. The Nioh DLC is pretty brutal though.

Nioh is easier for Souls players since a lot of the Souls skills translate well to Nioh, but don't translate to Sekiro.

On the other hand, Nioh can be "cheesed" in ways that Sekiro can't, with either loot farming, or specific builds and whatnot, and of course, coop, which makes the game muuuuch easier. You can't do that in Sekiro since it's not an RPG.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on many factors to be honest. I'd say yes, overall, not counting Nioh's DLC.

Nioh has a lot of really hard side missions, like insanely hard, but they're optional. The mandatory content is generally quite manageable compared to Sekiro's harder mandatory moments. The Nioh DLC is pretty brutal though.

Nioh is easier for Souls players since a lot of the Souls skills translate well to Nioh, but don't translate to Sekiro.

On the other hand, Nioh can be "cheesed" in ways that Sekiro can't, with either loot farming, or specific builds and whatnot, and of course, coop, which makes the game muuuuch easier. You can't do that in Sekiro since it's not an RPG.

ah okay yeah always wanted to give this game a fair shake but Iwas never really good at Souls games and Nioh so far is pretty cool but I'm sure I'll hit a moment where I complain.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Any tips for the Guardian Ape? First stage I've kinda figured out, but second stage is kicking my ass.
When he starts rearing for that Terror roar, just dash away as fast as you can. If you accumulated significant Terror use a purple flask.
Focus on deflecting more than dodging here. At some point he'll sort of stand up tall and prepare a sword combo, deflect it, wait for the final "slamming" kind of blow, deflect that and he'll fall down briefly. When it's downed, make sure you have the Loaded Spear equipped, and press R2 -> R2 for a special attack (it will damage the parasite inside of it) for massive posture damage.

The first phase is a vitality battle but IMO the second phase is more of a posture battle. If you treat the 2nd phase like another VIT battle and are passive and chip away at its health etc. it becomes frustrating IMO. But yeah baiting its sword combo, deflecting that, the Spear attack, should be helpful.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Fuck Guardian Ape that poop throwing piece of shit. The grab attack combined with the input buffer and camera fucking up makes it pure bullshit.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I'm not sure what you mean by input buffer or the camera, but you can avoid the grab by simply jumping. 🙂

He throws you into the wall and then the camera doesnt have any clue on what to do.

With the input buffer, and Im not even sure if it is input buffer or something else, but there is some kind of input delay or ignoring input after you pressed a button multiple times in a row. This was first really noticeable for me when I had to double jump to a wall and then ledgegrab. I jumped to the wall and then instinctly clicked jump again several times. But then when I had to ledgegrab, it completely ignored my presses even though it was timed correctly and with no other button presses. If I only pressed the second jump once it would be fine, but its like it makes a queue of all your button presses so the action you want to do and would expect it to do, doesnt happen.