• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
God dammit I finally got past stage 3 of the final boss fight and nearly beat him first attempt stage, one poorly timed counter is all it takes...

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Have you swam underneath past the giant carp yet? If so, you'll eventually open up a door back to the main Fountainhead area, and there are some grappling points on the right hand side once you exit that door.

Thanks found it. Yeah, already had beat
the Divine Dragon and made it to the Feeding Grounds. Still, it was kind of dumb because I only got the prompt after a blind jump on the roof near the Palace Grounds Idol unlike the prompt to the Feeding grounds which appears right at the edge.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I finally beaten the final boss after taking sometime off.

You really have to be patient. Learning how to countet thrust, sweeps and deflect lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back in to do my second playthrough, and the early game has been a cakewalk especially with having tons of abilities and prosthetic tools.

I'm coming up on Oniwa pretty soon so I'm curious to see how well I do having a full arsenal.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
How did you find it? I beat it over the weekend and once I figured out how to dodge all the attacks I loved it. Though I did technically cheese the last phase, because its new moves scared me lol.

I liked it overall, though the camera could be a little tricky sometimes especially if he was close to a wall and the rushing attack he did was bullshit, the hitbox was probably twice his size during that attack.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it overall, though the camera could be a little tricky sometimes especially if he was close to a wall and the rushing attack he did was bullshit, the hitbox was probably twice his size during that attack.
Rushing attack baffled me for ages, but then looked it up and you were supposed to jump it (as the damage was from the hand running along the ground, not the thing running into me). Made it way easier after that.

Oct 26, 2017
Fighting the Demon of Hatred to the DOOM OST and this is the best decision of my life

I want to take the camera in this game and smash it on the ground

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This game has me wrecked. I have 34 hours played. I only have 3 Memory. Still haven't beaten Genichiro Ashina. Just beat the Long Sword Man and Sword Saint(Spear boss) in Ashina Reservoir tonight may they Rest in Piss.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Defeated Sword Saint Isshin Ashina.

It was a good boss fight, but it was a little annoying with 4 phases. But then again the 2 first phases were really easy.

Last edited:

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
Just got literally one-shotted by Isshin Ashina's fire ground move. Yep, I'm done. Wanted to get the Shura ending on NG+ but nah this is not possible for me. I haven't struggled more against any other boss. Idk if it's the NG+ effect (even though I first-tried every other boss) but this is a million times harder than Owl Father, DoH and Sword Saint for me.

And that's not even bringing Emma up. 90% of the time I don't get past her. She alone is harder than the other bosses I named that were a struggle for me. Genichiro is like fucking Pinwheel compared to her. And then Isshin Ashina's 2nd phase is the first From boss that is simply unbeatable for me.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Just got literally one-shotted by Isshin Ashina's fire ground move. Yep, I'm done. Wanted to get the Shura ending on NG+ but nah this is not possible for me. I haven't struggled more against any other boss. Idk if it's the NG+ effect (even though I first-tried every other boss) but this is a million times harder than Owl Father, DoH and Sword Saint for me.

And that's not even bringing Emma up. 90% of the time I don't get past her. She alone is harder than the other bosses I named that were a struggle for me. Genichiro is like fucking Pinwheel compared to her. And then Isshin Ashina's 2nd phase is the first From boss that is simply unbeatable for me.

Just take a break but you can do it. Use fire umbrella for isshin 2nd phase or firecrackers to completely stop that move.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Emma gets a heck of a buff on NG+ because when I did the Shura ending (I'm save scumming endings so not doing NG+ at all) she's fairly straight forward in terms of attacks and counters. Not that she can't be dangerous if your concentration lapses, but she's definitely got nothing on Isshin. His fire stuff really kicked my ass as well for the longest time, there are tells for each of his fire moves, but on your first run he clearly doesn't deal as much damage (he never one shotted me at least)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Umbrella is key to last phase and you can walk around why you are under the umbrella to find an area of the floor that won't burn. As is dodging around to get behind him. You want to be patient and stay in the middle and draw him into the center as you can and run away and create distance for healing. In his first phase when he raises the sword, walk around him circling left and get behind and hit him with a combat art. Second phase, when he does those fire overhead slices, dodge quickly two times to the right. Again for his special attack, cower under the umbrella, find a good spot in the floor and hold it until he's done with his follow up attack, you can then umbrella counter.

I did him on NG+ as well. This was my run, far from perfect, but you can see me employ the concepts. I actually kinda figured out the dodge right 2 times in the last phase in desperation after I had lost a life by coming out of umbrella too soon.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Emma gets a heck of a buff on NG+ because when I did the Shura ending (I'm save scumming endings so not doing NG+ at all) she's fairly straight forward in terms of attacks and counters. Not that she can't be dangerous if your concentration lapses, but she's definitely got nothing on Isshin. His fire stuff really kicked my ass as well for the longest time, there are tells for each of his fire moves, but on your first run he clearly doesn't deal as much damage (he never one shotted me at least)

She's a really good test of parrying and counters and seeing thrust/sweep/grab. Like Genichiro at the end, if I had to use more than 1 or 2 healing items on her then I pretty much folded and started over. She has a series of consecutive hits you want to trigger as it builds posture damage. She's pretty open to damage though and you just have to be on guard in particular for her grabs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
She's a really good test of parrying and counters and seeing thrust/sweep/grab. Like Genichiro at the end, if I had to use more than 1 or 2 healing items on her then I pretty much folded and started over. She has a series of consecutive hits you want to trigger as it builds posture damage. She's pretty open to damage though and you just have to be on guard in particular for her grabs.
Her fucking grab!!! It caught me out so much, I think that was more of a source of damage than any other attack of hers. It has insane range and comes out fairly quick. Her flurry of attacks though is super easy to parry and counter, I love it. I think I "mastered" her once I managed to get her throw timing down and counter attacked effectively. I know Isshin has a similar throw but the range/speed feels smaller/slower by comparison as I had less of an issue to dodge.

Anyway, I'll have some good free time over the next few days, time to finally tackle the other final boss fight, I reckon I'll need the day just to beat him!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Got a new pc recently and the plan was to play Control first, but I couldn't resist the pull of 60 fps Sekiro and it's blisss. It feels so much better to play, it's like my time on PS4 was training with weighted clothing.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a new pc recently and the plan was to play Control first, but I couldn't resist the pull of 60 fps Sekiro and it's blisss. It feels so much better to play, it's like my time on PS4 was training with weighted clothing.

There's a mod for 120fps if you got the monitor or TV for it.

So I've been playing newgame + and turned in Kuro's Charm. I just made it past Genichiro and am headed into the Gun Fort. I don't know if I can take it anymore with the chip damage. I feel like I can make it, but it's almost as if you screw up one time and take a full on hit, that's your ass. I'm was almost thinking about ringing the Demon Bell, but after the Genichiro fight I don't know.

How much harder does it get in New Game+ after ringing the bell when you already gave away Kuro's Charm? I'm guessing there's not special item or anything that you get for raising the difficulty this high right? Just a sense of accomplishment?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
There's a mod for 120fps if you got the monitor or TV for it.

So I've been playing newgame + and turned in Kuro's Charm. I just made it past Genichiro and am headed into the Gun Fort. I don't know if I can take it anymore with the chip damage. I feel like I can make it, but it's almost as if you screw up one time and take a full on hit, that's your ass. I'm was almost thinking about ringing the Demon Bell, but after the Genichiro fight I don't know.

How much harder does it get in New Game+ after ringing the bell when you already gave away Kuro's Charm? I'm guessing there's not special item or anything that you get for raising the difficulty this high right? Just a sense of accomplishment?

It gets moderately more difficult, but not by much, compared to playing without the Charm. NG+ already introduces the biggest modifier to the game in terms of difficulty aside from the charm, which is that posture takes much longer to recover unless you hold block.

And yeah, you don't anything out of playing without the charm or ringing the bell, but I personally think playing without the charm is the most fun and rewarding way to play. It really forces you to be on your toes and to execute parries very cleanly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, just beat the final boss. And... he was easy? No seriously, I only died once and that was to the first phase because I was a idiot with my healing. The boss himself is absolutely one of my favourite fights ever though, here's why:

First phase is almost just a practice phase. Moves are easy to read and deflect and its over in a flash. Second phase likewise I found fairly easy half because its short and because any moves Isshin might have had that were harder to read are still etched into my mind from my Shura run. So he went down without a fuss.

Now the real fight begins. Reading the new attacks actually weren't quite as hard as I was expecting, and are easy to either counter or deflect (I found Isshin's timing in his Shura fight way harder to be honest). I did get hit, several times but was easy to heal (plus you have a nice boulder to use place between you and him to give you time and not get shot.
Last phase he has lightning, but I spent lots of time pissing around in the final area with the dragon basically honing the lightning counter to an artform, so sucks to be him, because I just countered that shit for free damage. And that was it basically. Mainly focused on deflecting with some attacks when safe and he went down on my first real try against the later phases.

Now I say "easy" but honestly, I think spending so much time on the game and absolutely loving the feel of the combat helped loads. As after who knows how many hours, everything felt second nature to me. I also feel the posture damage to the boss was way higher compared to the Shura and Owl fights. Which made them "feel" easier because phases were shorter.
Speaking of Owl, his second fight (the optional one at Hirata Estate) is probably the hardest fight in the game, in my opinion. High damage, low posture damage to him, and very few points where you can chip away at his health. He took me quite a while to just get to phase two! I feel that point really forced me to get better to proceed, and yeah even he has obvious tells to make the fight easier, especially the second phase funnily enough.

Demon of Hatred was a different story, but again that's down to his health bar and learning him inside and out (and using that one prosthetic on the final phase to make things easier on me). This was a tough boss as I had issues reading and dodging a few moves, but even then I nailed it in the end.

This is by far my favourite Fromsoft game. I absolutely love the fast paced combat, its second to none. Love the boss fights as well. Its certainly not an easy game, but rarely actually felt unfair. Definitely a game that rewards you tons by learning the bosses, combat etc. I certainly love both this and BB's faster pace take on combat in Fromsoft games, more so than the DS games for sure (which I still love, but I prefer a more offensive, in your face fighting style).

Should a sequel ever appear, I'll be there day 1.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So, just beat the final boss. And... he was easy? No seriously, I only died once and that was to the first phase because I was a idiot with my healing. The boss himself is absolutely one of my favourite fights ever though, here's why:

First phase is almost just a practice phase. Moves are easy to read and deflect and its over in a flash. Second phase likewise I found fairly easy half because its short and because any moves Isshin might have had that were harder to read are still etched into my mind from my Shura run. So he went down without a fuss.

Now the real fight begins. Reading the new attacks actually weren't quite as hard as I was expecting, and are easy to either counter or deflect (I found Isshin's timing in his Shura fight way harder to be honest). I did get hit, several times but was easy to heal (plus you have a nice boulder to use place between you and him to give you time and not get shot.
Last phase he has lightning, but I spent lots of time pissing around in the final area with the dragon basically honing the lightning counter to an artform, so sucks to be him, because I just countered that shit for free damage. And that was it basically. Mainly focused on deflecting with some attacks when safe and he went down on my first real try against the later phases.

Now I say "easy" but honestly, I think spending so much time on the game and absolutely loving the feel of the combat helped loads. As after who knows how many hours, everything felt second nature to me. I also feel the posture damage to the boss was way higher compared to the Shura and Owl fights. Which made them "feel" easier because phases were shorter.
Speaking of Owl, his second fight (the optional one at Hirata Estate) is probably the hardest fight in the game, in my opinion. High damage, low posture damage to him, and very few points where you can chip away at his health. He took me quite a while to just get to phase two! I feel that point really forced me to get better to proceed, and yeah even he has obvious tells to make the fight easier, especially the second phase funnily enough.

Demon of Hatred was a different story, but again that's down to his health bar and learning him inside and out (and using that one prosthetic on the final phase to make things easier on me). This was a tough boss as I had issues reading and dodging a few moves, but even then I nailed it in the end.

This is by far my favourite Fromsoft game. I absolutely love the fast paced combat, its second to none. Love the boss fights as well. Its certainly not an easy game, but rarely actually felt unfair. Definitely a game that rewards you tons by learning the bosses, combat etc. I certainly love both this and BB's faster pace take on combat in Fromsoft games, more so than the DS games for sure (which I still love, but I prefer a more offensive, in your face fighting style).

Should a sequel ever appear, I'll be there day 1.
I just watched a stream of someone who managed to beat Sword Saint after 14 hours. ;)

It was quite a sight to behold the finishing moment, but I think he made it much harder for himself since his strategy was mostly to run around dodging his attacks rather than being face to face and learning how to deflect them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a stream of someone who managed to beat Sword Saint after 14 hours. ;)

It was quite a sight to behold the finishing moment, but I think he made it much harder for himself since his strategy was mostly to run around dodging his attacks rather than being face to face and learning how to deflect them.
I was a mix of both methods. I liked a bit of space between us for healing and to react to the next move more easy, but was probably more in his face than most of the later fights in the game (especially compared to his Shura form or Owl). I guess the deflection stuff though just became second nature after a point, it feels natural in the game, meanwhile doing the parry move in the DS series is never something I've relied on because my timing kinda sucks with it.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...The Kuro's Charm thing isn't so bad. If anything I think I'm actually enjoying the game more now because you have to manage posture better even if you're perfectly deflecting. But in some fights I just let my posture bar max out and continue to perfect parry since posture doesn't break. I've found that sometimes trying to pull yourself away from battle to regain posture in this mode isn't the wisest choice to make. You have to sometimes you have to sacrifice a Mikiri/step counter follow up damage in order to recoup posture. I might try ringing the Demon Bell on my third playthrough if I can make it to the end of this one.

Yeah, but now I'm at the point of the game where a lot of attacks one shot me. I've also gotten to the point where I just don't give a crap about dragon rot unless I have to talk to an NPC that has it. This Kuro's Charm run just can't afford it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Dragons Rot... I went through the entire game and never cured it. Was there any really good rewards locked behind the NPCs? Because it wasn't something that I found actually affected my run at all.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It was a highlight. Loved it when people were so confused in the first OT when people typed "ROBERTOOOO!!".

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
God dammit. I beat the Cursed Ogre and got the droplet and used it from my inventory screen instead of using it at the idol to cure dragonrot -___-

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the game, took down both Demon or Hatred and Isshin, great experience.

The Demon felt more like a Souls boss, I wasn't really trying to parry it much. The fire umbrella negates his big fire jumps and Malcontent made short work of his last phase, I probably spent as much time on him as I did Guardian Ape, took a minute but not that crazy.

Now unto Isshin. Geni was a chump, he did kill me once or twice though. 1st Isshin has an easy to read pattern. 2nd Isshin is what was screwing me over and making me use up all my healing items.
3rd Isshin had the lightning which was a gift to me, this part is easier than round 2.

What kept screwing me over was trying to be too damn cautious, I would get scared of his big sweeping attacks when my posture was fucked. Twice I got to the last phase and lost when I was like 2-3 hits away from victory. But Isshin tells you how to beat him everytime you die, hesitation is defeat. So yeah the winning run was me being as relentless as possible, always on his ass, careful button presses so I wouldn't get stuck in an attack loop when I need to deflect. Had 6 healing options left when I won. I did the frozen tears ending.

The most frustrating boss was probably the first Chained Ogre miniboss. I was still a noob and learning, didn't have the flame vent and his grab was fucking ridiculous. He didn't kill me the most times but I felt like I was getting cheated when I'd jump or dodge the grab and he'd turn in midair and magnetically attract me.

2nd Geni fight was the "git gud" boss of the game, he was a fun one, 2nd favorite after Isshin.

The 1st Headless and Shichimen warrior I saw I ran away from, saw how little damage I was doing and that terror status effect, noped the fuck out. Felt good coming back for those bastards with my umbrella and confetti.

Guardian Ape was the most intimidating, the way it was moving, so wild, and it felt unpredictable. I had no idea how to approach it that first time, was scared to try and deflect it, how you gonna block big gorilla fists with a toothpick sword? Turns out pretty easily.

The 2nd Owl Father boss fight was easier than the first one for me. More straightforward, no silly things like poison and blocking my heaing. And I knew his moves.

I never used the spear prosthetic and the fan, just once when no enemies were around just to see what they did and that was it.

Two bosses I cheesed, Lady Butterfly and Snake Eyes in the poison pool. I'm pretty sure Lady Butterfly is a noob trap since I went to her as soon as I was able to. After getting whooped plenty of time, I ended up cheesing her by spamming dodge attack, she couldn't do anything. For Snake Eyes I led her up some stairs, dropped down and found out she would just stay up there and try to attack me. So I waited for her combo to end and jump attacked for one or two hits, over and over.

The 2nd Snake Eyes I beat down so fast I couldn't believe it, how the hell did the first one give me so much trouble?

Lastly From needs to nerf Mist Noble.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost to New Game ++... I don't think I'm going to use Kuro's Charm for that run just to see how easy the game is now. Using the charm makes me feel like a rockstar when I take down bosses.

Where's the best place to farm XP... I feel like it's going to take forever to get the last abilities. I don't see how people have them unlocked on their first run.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Where's the best place to farm XP... I feel like it's going to take forever to get the last abilities. I don't see how people have them unlocked on their first run.
I don't know if it's the best, but the Antechamber Idol has a free stealth kill just nearby. You can either do the tedious method by killing that one mob over and over, or just do quick runs of the whole area a few times over.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Just randomly decided I need to say how cool dismemberment would've been in this game. The deaths are so fucking juicy as is but dismemberment, oh boy, oh boy!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what you did. Gatekeeper boss that teaches you how to really play. Lots of challenges ahead, but if you beat him you can do it all even if some bosses take hours.
Agreed. He completely kicked my ass the first time we met, couldn't counter his lightning attack for shit. End game? I was countering and deflecting like a pro. Felt good!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know when I'm going to be able to get back to this game but when I do I have a feeling I'll be totally lost.

What's worse about Sekiro compared to other Souls games is it doesn't let you replay the tutorial. All the Souls games except Demon's Souls let you travel back to the initial tutorial area and essentially replay it. Another problem is you can only read the tutorial prompts once. RPGs these days tend to file them away into a codex so you can re-read them at any time.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I don't know when I'm going to be able to get back to this game but when I do I have a feeling I'll be totally lost.

What's worse about Sekiro compared to other Souls games is it doesn't let you replay the tutorial. All the Souls games except Demon's Souls let you travel back to the initial tutorial area and essentially replay it. Another problem is you can only read the tutorial prompts once. RPGs these days tend to file them away into a codex so you can re-read them at any time.

There's a replayable tutorial guy in the dilapidated temple though.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think most of the moves he does are the basics of the game. Parry/dodge/mikiri/jump bounce, etc. Some of these you have to unlock the move in the game before you can practice with him, but in a sense that is part of the tutorial, not trying to give use too much too soon.