• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally did it after all these days. Beat New Game + with giving away Kuro's Charm. I complete all the bosses, even the 2nd memory. I gotta say that the last boss was by far the hardest for me. All the others were rough too, but I spent the longest on the last boss. It was an experience. I can't believe how much things changed when you have to worry about block damage and increased posture damage with everything else that gets added to the mode. Most fights needed to be almost perfect in order to win and it was crazy how bosses literally killed me in less than a second if I screwed up one time.

I'm going to do two more runs of the game, but I'm not going to deal with the charm anymore. It's too much for me.Plus I kind of want to see how my new found skills work now that I don't have to worry about huge posture damage and block damage. So yeah. I'm gonna do a Shura run and end my last run with the best ending path.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dawww

Sekiro%3A.Shadows.Die.Twice.full.2577623.png

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished my second playthrough (did the Purification ending this time), and while the game is still challenging, it was so much easier especially with all of the attack power buffs. I actually beat Demon of Hatred in one try!!

I'm still going to play the game several times for the rest of the endings, but I want to try different playstyles. I saw some videos of people beating the final boss with just prosthetics or all senpou monk abilities. Any other fun ways to mix up this game?

Then again, there's also the charmless run that I'm still considering doing.

Deleted member 63213

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 20, 2020
I'm still pottering on with my first playthrough. I'm at Isshin now but I feel like I should go back and mop up some of the prayer beads. I've got 6 of the prayer bead necklaces and I feel like my posture is under leveled at the moment. I can't even get past Isshins first phase! Going to be a long couple of months ahead of me I feel.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Snake Eyes Shirafuji gave me such trouble. I seemed to have missed the parry, strike, parry, strike method. She dead now though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished my second playthrough (did the Purification ending this time), and while the game is still challenging, it was so much easier especially with all of the attack power buffs. I actually beat Demon of Hatred in one try!!

I'm still going to play the game several times for the rest of the endings, but I want to try different playstyles. I saw some videos of people beating the final boss with just prosthetics or all senpou monk abilities. Any other fun ways to mix up this game?

Then again, there's also the charmless run that I'm still considering doing.
Demon bell + charmless on a new game run is so far my favorite way to play the game. It gives such a great challenge for people who want more but have had an easy time on subsequent playthroughs.

Oct 25, 2017
Demon bell + charmless on a new game run is so far my favorite way to play the game. It gives such a great challenge for people who want more but have had an easy time on subsequent playthroughs.

Yeah I might try that. I'm on NG++ now, and I've beaten Oniwa, Ogre, Bull, Lady Butterfly, first Genichiro and all of the mini-bosses in one try each. Well except the first Headless, cause fuck that guy. My attack power at this point is up to 29 and just the regular R1 attack, even when deflected by the enemy, deals so much posture damage.

I am aiming for the platinum, and leveling up to acquire all of the skills takes forever now. I know that I'll likely still have two more skills to unlock by the time I do my NG+++ run. Hopefully demon bell+charmless doesn't make grinding those skill points worse.

Oct 25, 2017
WTF, why is this Ape Guardian the hardest thing I've faced yet?

Probably because it's more like a Bloodborne boss fight than a Sekiro one. Unlike the human bosses that you've faced so far, the Ape fight is more about dealing vitality damage than posture damage. Plus, it's sometimes harder to see, time and deflect attacks from an enemy that's much larger than you.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Probably because it's more like a Bloodborne boss fight than a Sekiro one. Unlike the human bosses that you've faced so far, the Ape fight is more about dealing vitality damage than posture damage. Plus, it's sometimes harder to see, time and deflect attacks from an enemy that's much larger than you.
I think I need to take a break from this guy. Youtube videos make it look easy and I'm sure it is so I'm not sure why I'm struggling as much as I am. Is there somewhere else I can go in the meantime?

Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to take a break from this guy. Youtube videos make it look easy and I'm sure it is so I'm not sure why I'm struggling as much as I am. Is there somewhere else I can go in the meantime?

I struggled with that boss fight too. You're at a point in the game where you're fetching several items. If you haven't gotten the other items yet, you can always come back to the Ape fight.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I struggled with that boss fight too. You're at a point in the game where you're fetching several items. If you haven't gotten the other items yet, you can always come back to the Ape fight.
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I struggled with this boss, put the game down for quite a while and then sold the game. I re-bought the game yesterday and now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do other than fight this Ape Guardian. Could you maybe point me in some kind of direction?

Thanks for the help.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The ape guardian isn't hard. You can guard or deflect most everything he does.

In the first phase, good things to bait are the lunge attack (that you can just jump over and then immediately start hitting him) and the tantrum (where he gets on his back and flails around). You can deflect all his sword attacks and get some damage in. The only thing to watch out for are the poo attacks (the fart and when he throws shit at you), but you should learn how to avoid them easily enough.

The second phase is more fun. Just run away when he does the scream, and focus on deflecting when he's not (you want him to combo, because the final attack will be where he winds up a huge strike from above, and deflecting that will always stagger him). You can use the spear's grab attack to pull out the worm for massive posture damage when he's staggered (after you deflect one of his finishing strikes).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing. I struggled with this boss, put the game down for quite a while and then sold the game. I re-bought the game yesterday and now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do other than fight this Ape Guardian. Could you maybe point me in some kind of direction?

Thanks for the help.
Have you explored the paths from the poison pool and/or Senpou temple yet?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For the Ape moves where he tries to inflict terror on you, use the umbrella prosthetic as I found that much easier to use compared to running away before the move is used in the heat of the battle.

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the help.

Go back to Kuro's room in Ashina Castle. If you haven't gotten all of the items yet, he'll have some hints about where to go next.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Have you explored the paths from the poison pool and/or Senpou temple yet?
Not sure I know what the poison pool is. I had thought I finished Senpou temple but it turns out there was a mini boss I hadn't fought. Well I just did (the crawly guy with the claws) but it didn't help me get my bearings.
Go back to Kuro's room in Ashina Castle. If you haven't gotten all of the items yet, he'll have some hints about where to go next.
Thanks, I'm gonna do that now.
For the Ape moves where he tries to inflict terror on you, use the umbrella prosthetic as I found that much easier to use compared to running away before the move is used in the heat of the battle.
I've seen this method. Might try it. I've gotten to the second phase a couple of times now but never with enough emblems to use my spear, so I always end up dead.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this method. Might try it. I've gotten to the second phase a couple of times now but never with enough emblems to use my spear, so I always end up dead.

I actually find the second phase to be much easier than the first once you get the timing of the sword slashes. One of the main attacks is the Ape standing straight up extending the sword above its head and hammering down. This is the easiest attack to parry, and when you do, it staggers the Ape to give you free hits.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually JUST wondered this to myself the other day...why is Wolf so short compared to a lot of main characters? Is this an anime thing or something I'm not aware of maybe?

I was standing in front of the Tengu guy and wonder why the fuck he's a giant among others.

I actually think it's a design/presentation thing. Regular enemies and many mini-bosses are the same height as Sekiro so to make all of the main bosses really stand out, From made them taller/bigger. Lady Butterfly is probably the only one who's the same height as Sekiro.

Died with probably one hit left on him.

I'm done.

Noooo! You're so close. Isn't that one hit motivation enough to power through?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I actually find the second phase to be much easier than the first once you get the timing of the sword slashes. One of the main attacks is the Ape standing straight up extending the sword above its head and hammering down. This is the easiest attack to parry, and when you do, it staggers the Ape to give you free hits.
Yep, I would just wait it out until he did that move and just parry it, then go in for good damage. It helps if you get the pull upgrade of the spear to yank the centipede out, but even if you don't you can do decent damage.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Whew, freaking finally. Stupid ape.

Now I'm gonna go back to the temple because apparently I forgot to do something at the very end of the level. Always felt like it was a strange end. Gonna search the tables.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I got all the components for Immortal Severance and ready for the big decision. So, I was doing some clean up.

I fought the Headless Ape, and it was super frustrating for about 5 attempts. Then I stacked Motled Purple and Ako's. I tanked the Terror move and just kept attacking until I got the first health bar down. I renewed Ako's and the Mottled Purple. As soon as the brown ape landed I stunned and hacked away while headless did his terror move. Executed brown ape and finished headless. Hit the double execute and severed mortality. Crazy

I have 17 Vitality and 8 Power. That's about as much as I can get before this fight?

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
WTF, I gotta fight this ape again.

Went back to the temple, rang the bell, which I don't know how I missed the first time, and "fought" the apes. Finally found my way down to the big snake cave and got through that, went back to the underground dungeon and fought the thing down there (had to farm some divine confetti first), and now I'm at this ape again.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Okay, well I've done quite a bit since my last post. It feels good to be back in this game, and by that I mean into it. I'm finding myself looking forward to getting home to play. I'm at the point where I'm about to give the two items I found to Kuro but I can't find him.

Anyway, I have a question. Everytime I talk to the sculptor he brings up me not talking about something that happened. I keep choosing to not say anything but he keeps bringing it up as if the game actually wants me to share it with him. So, should I? I'm sure there some story stuff if I ask him about it but he keeps telling me it's for me alone. I don't know, kind of confusing.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So I killed every boss between two play throughs but the last two achievements didn't pop. So not man without equal and therefor no platinum.

Question. For the demon of hatred to spawn, you can't do the shura ending, right? When does he become available? I'm thinking I need to kill him again. I just got the shura ending but have that save, well, saved. So I can reload it and side with Kuro and go from there. Or would I need to side with owl, get the shura ending, reload and the side with Kuro and continue from there to kill the demon of hatred?

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I killed every boss between two play throughs but the last two achievements didn't pop. So not man without equal and therefor no platinum.

Question. For the demon of hatred to spawn, you can't do the shura ending, right? When does he become available? I'm thinking I need to kill him again. I just got the shura ending but have that save, well, saved. So I can reload it and side with Kuro and go from there. Or would I need to side with owl, get the shura ending, reload and the side with Kuro and continue from there to kill the demon of hatred?

Demon of Hatred should appear in the Gyobu arena after defeating the divine dragon

If memory serves me right, you have to have all the boss memories in the same save file for the trophy to unlock. This is why it's recommended to do the Shura ending last.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Demon of Hatred should appear in the Gyobu arena after defeating the divine dragon

If memory serves me right, you have to have all the boss memories in the same save file for the trophy to unlock. This is why it's recommended to do the Shura ending last.
Is it possible to get the shura ending, reload and move the game forward a bit and kill the demon of hatred and get the trophy to pop? I think where I fucked up was I didn't kill the demon of hatred on the play through where I did the first 3 endings. I went to new game plus to do the shura ending without killing him. And I just killed him on an old save but I don't want to do this all fucking over again.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Is it possible to get the shura ending, reload and move the game forward a bit and kill the demon of hatred and get the trophy to pop? I think where I fucked up was I didn't kill the demon of hatred on the play through where I did the first 3 endings. I went to new game plus to do the shura ending without killing him. And I just killed him on an old save but I don't want to do this all fucking over again.

I don't think that's possible. If you do Shura and then reload to go to a different ending, the game won't register the Shura bosses on your save file. You could do Shura, and then move on to NG+ to kill Demon of Hatred as fast as possible.

Unless I'm missing something, that'd be the only way. Sorry.

AFAIK the fastest way to get that particular Trophy
is to kill all bosses, get all the ingredients for the different endings, kill Isshin, reload 2 time for the other two endings, get to Shura on NG+, reload, get to the fountainhead palace for the remaining lápiz lazuli.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I appre
I don't think that's possible. If you do Shura and then reload to go to a different ending, the game won't register the Shura bosses on your save file. You could do Shura, and then move on to NG+ to kill Demon of Hatred as fast as possible.

Unless I'm missing something, that'd be the only way. Sorry.

AFAIK the fastest way to get that particular Trophy
is to kill all bosses, get all the ingredients for the different endings, kill Isshin, reload 2 time for the other two endings, get to Shura on NG+, reload, get to the fountainhead palace for the remaining lápiz lazuli.
Shit. Oh well.

I appreciate the response. Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017
Just started my last run to get the rest of the trophies (need one more ending and all of the skills). Decided to do it charmless, but I'm definitely NOT grabbing the demon bell. I still need another 14 skill points, and each point takes forever to get now. I'm sweating each boss fight again just so I don't die and lose half my XP.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Finally bought this one since it was on sale. Played a bit of the first act. Definitely getting my ass kicked. Looking forward to the descent into madness and rage this weekend. Time to get working on my parry skills

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Welp...I've died about 20 straight times on this Red Eyed Ogre fuck. Should I just restart the game lol? I don't want everyone I meet to have dragon cancer

Fuck this guy

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Welp...I've died about 20 straight times on this Red Eyed Ogre fuck. Should I just restart the game lol? I don't want everyone I meet to have dragon cancer

Fuck this guy
The dragon rot actually isn't all that impactful, you don't have to worry about it and there's a cure for it too. For the Ogre: dance around him and punish once you've avoided his heavy attacks (signaled by the red symbol). The flame vent prosthetic (found in the Estate level, activated by the bell at the buddha statue) makes the encounter easier. Firecracker helps too. If you trigger him, get out of sight and wait until he forgets you. Then get behind him, you can get a stealth deathblow on him as well.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you guys!! Finally beat him. Noticed a path down the cliffs a few minutes ago and met "Headless" lol! Don't think I'm ready for this guy yet holyshit.
Those are optional fights, but not something you want to tackle for quite a long while yet as they are pretty tough without the right items (at which point they become a pushover). Also, I went my entire game without actually curing the dragon rot and it really doesn't lock you out of anything all that important (at least, it didn't feel like I missed anything).

Oct 29, 2017
Started playing again after a long time and didn't really forget the parry timing it seems but the ogre definetely is giving me some trouble. Shit, I remember beating him first try without the flame cannon lol

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Yep I'm hooked. Been playing most of the day. I'm so glad I waited to play this considering there really isn't anything new coming out for a bit. I am beyond impressed with this game though. I'm finally getting adjusted to the combat/parry system but goddamn this game is so hard lol. I don't even remember Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 being this tough. I seriously died like 60 times on that Drunkard guy. Then the Butterfly lady was literally 5 minutes after that fight. Shit was crazy. The level/world design is flat out amazing. Cool storyline too. Enemy variety is top notch. Just beat the Bull and yeah it's bed time now lol. Love this game.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally beat Great Shinobi Owl and went to Fountainhead Palace. Now the True Corrupt Monk is blocking me. My first fight I got to phase three. Now I have faced her at least twenty times and I can't get consistent. My biggest issue is the unblockable attacks. I always read them a fraction of a second to late and miss my counters.

Lowest I got phase three was 50%