• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
True Monk down. Hard fought first two phases and cheesed the third.

She changes though in 3rd phase. First 2 phases are about parrying and 3rd phase more about attacking while avoiding poison......I just parried first 2 phases and then buffed and went firecrackers on 3rd phase.

(of course keep in mind that many people got automatic deathblows in first phases - before a patch you could eliminate basically the first 2 phases - which really is a shame because it largely bypasses a good boss.)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
(of course keep in mind that many people got automatic deathblows in first phases - before a patch you could eliminate basically the first 2 phases - which really is a shame because it largely bypasses a good boss.)
She's still vulnerable to deathblow at the start of the second phase (they just patched out the skip for the first phase).

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It's young sekiro from the opening cinematic

Congrats. If you decide to replay it or go through NG+, know that you can do a stealth deathblow from trees to skip the second phase.
She changes though in 3rd phase. First 2 phases are about parrying and 3rd phase more about attacking while avoiding poison......I just parried first 2 phases and then buffed and went firecrackers on 3rd phase.

Thanks!
I tried to do the deathblow(s), but failed. I fought first and second straight with parries. In the third it was firecrackers and ash spam.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Wow, what a fight. This was heart pounding.

Late game optional boss spoiler:
Owl (father) was the hardest boss I've ever encountered. Dude took me a good hour or more. Felt good getting passed him. Ended up using Mortal Draw after a select few of his attacks and just blocked/parried the rest of the time. Fireworks game me some trouble at first but once you can recognize it it's not so bad, save for some environmental issues.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a fight. This was heart pounding.

Late game optional boss spoiler:
Owl (father) was the hardest boss I've ever encountered. Dude took me a good hour or more. Felt good getting passed him. Ended up using Mortal Draw after a select few of his attacks and just blocked/parried the rest of the time. Fireworks game me some trouble at first but once you can recognize it it's not so bad, save for some environmental issues.
Definitely the hardest of the bosses in the game for me in my opinion, this dude took me a couple of hours to beat while the end boss only took me two tries to beat! One of my favourite fights no doubt though, the first phase especially it took quite a while to nail down perfectly because he's so aggressive while having quite a lot of health/posture. Second phase though was surprisingly easy once I nailed it down.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Definitely the hardest of the bosses in the game for me in my opinion, this dude took me a couple of hours to beat while the end boss only took me two tries to beat! One of my favourite fights no doubt though, the first phase especially it took quite a while to nail down perfectly because he's so aggressive while having quite a lot of health/posture. Second phase though was surprisingly easy once I nailed it down.
I'm at a later optional boss now and it's proving to be quite difficult as well. Spent about 30 minutes now and have only gotten half of his first health bar down.

This one might take awhile.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
He's more like a bloodborne boss btw, dodging and flanking are going to be more effective than parrying.

BTW, you guys and your 'this boss was the toughest ever - took me an hour' can GTFO......lol
Most of us spent hours on these guys, consider me impressed.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
He's more like a bloodborne boss btw, dodging and flanking are going to be more effective than parrying.

BTW, you guys and your 'this boss was the toughest ever - took me an hour' can GTFO......lol
Most of us spent hours on these guys, consider me impressed.
Yeah, I'm slowly learning his patterns and am playing very aggressive.

And when I say an hour or so it's mostly trying one or two, maybe three times and then throwing in the towel until another day. Total time was probably close to 2 hours but it was over a period of a week or more.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I loved about the fight you were talking about before was learning that boss. He has probably the biggest moveset of bosses in the game and everytime I played him I would learn 1 new thing and apply it. Last few attempts I knew his moveset so well it was muscle memory or instinct, felt in the zone deflecting and countering his attacks.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Just beat the game. Easily one of my top 5 of all time. I can't wait to jump back in to NG+. I made a backup save right at the end so I could get the other endings if I want to. I kind of do and kind of don't. Part of me wants to leave some things unfinished so I'll be more willing to come back to the game down the road.

On the other hand, I have so much else to play and I really want to see how the other endings play out. Either way, I've got a a whole other playthrough to get my skills unlocked and to upgrade my last two prosthetics.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro's become the game I'll put on when I want to unwind and chill out for a bit while listening to podcasts. It's funny comparing that to how it felt when I first started: unrelentingly tense, demanding, and insurmountable. Now I'm traipsing across the world dueling the enemies and bosses that used to frustrate me for fun. It's become almost second nature.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era, I love the Souls series. I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls with a high mobility build and a 100% physical block shield. While I couldn't put out the damage of the tougher builds, I loved learning enemy attack patters and figuring out which attacks I should block and which I should roll though. Bloodborne is great too but I have to admit that it took some time to adjust to the no-blocking thing. But even though I spent HOURS on the Orphan of Kos, I got though it!

The one thing in my playstyle that was consistent across all Souls games: NO PARRIES. I just can't do them. Could never get the timing right, too much risk.

I bought Sekiro towards launch and the all-parries-all-the-time thing hurt my brain. Every stupid boss took forever to figure out. I wound up dropping the game after 20 hours, a little annoyed by the whole thing.

ANYWAY. I finally came back to Sekiro, started from scratch, and somehow everything just clicked into place. I'm happy to say that I just got that Dragon's Homecoming ending! All beads, no cheese (except for when that purple kicky miniboss guy fell off a cliff near that pagoda). The final boss fight is lovely.
*high-five*

Last edited:

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
How do you guys feel Sekiro will feel like years from now ?, will it become an RE4 like experience (the type of game you can replay 5 years from and still have tons of fun)?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Era, I love the Souls series. I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls with a high mobility build and a 100% physical block shield. While I couldn't put out the damage of the tougher builds, I loved learning enemy attack patters and figuring out which attacks I should block and which I should roll though. Bloodborne is great too but I have to admit that it took some time to adjust to the no-blocking thing. But even though I spent HOURS on the Orphan of Kos, I got though it!

The one thing in my playstyle that was consistent across all Souls games: NO PARRIES. I just can't do them. Could never get the timing right, too much risk.

I bought Sekiro towards launch and the all-parries-all-the-time thing hurt my brain. Every stupid boss took forever to figure out. I wound up dropping the game after 20 hours, a little annoyed by the whole thing.

ANYWAY. I finally came back to Sekiro, started from scratch, and somehow everything just clicked into place. I'm happy to say that I just got that Dragon's Homecoming ending! All beads, no cheese (except for when that purple kicky miniboss guy fell off a cliff near that pagoda). The final boss fight is lovely.

*high-five*
thanks. the game also didn't click with me until i came back after a hiatus. I actually sold the game but after watching the retry series on it I wanted to jump back in. I didn't want to start over though as I had come a long way but it wasn't until I was able to beat the ape guardian that I finally started to really understand the mechanics behind the game.

I also had a great time with the final boss. It took me forever though by the time I was done I could get through the first two phases without taking damage. After that it gets a little tricky and I won't lie, I chugged my gourds but got through it eventually.

Overall I might like Sekiro more than Bloodborne. Gonna have to play some more and maybe go back to Bloodborne. I need to tackle that DLC anyway.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How do you guys feel Sekiro will feel like years from now ?, will it become an RE4 like experience (the type of game you can replay 5 years from and still have tons of fun)?
Playing some 6 months after my first run, I would say so. I really like the structure of this game as a whole

I used to play Metal Gear Rising whenever I had that urge to play a badass, technical, action game. Now, I can see myself always turning to Sekiro.

This game needs a sequel, and I have a feeling it could get one - which is something that unfortunately can't be said about MGR. I'd want a sub-weapon system to augment the prosthetic arts, personally.

thanks. the game also didn't click with me until i came back after a hiatus. I actually sold the game but after watching the retry series on it I wanted to jump back in. I didn't want to start over though as I had come a long way but it wasn't until I was able to beat the ape guardian that I finally started to really understand the mechanics behind the game.

I also had a great time with the final boss. It took me forever though by the time I was done I could get through the first two phases without taking damage. After that it gets a little tricky and I won't lie, I chugged my gourds but got through it eventually.

Overall I might like Sekiro more than Bloodborne. Gonna have to play some more and maybe go back to Bloodborne. I need to tackle that DLC anyway.

I've loved all the Souls-ish games I've really delved into: DS1, DS3, and Bloodborne. The combat mechanics of Sekiro are just sublime, though. It's Platinum Games and Capcom tier.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I used to play Metal Gear Rising whenever I had that urge to play a badass, technical, action game. Now, I can see myself always turning to Sekiro.

This game needs a sequel, and I have a feeling it could get one - which is something that unfortunately can't be said about MGR. I'd want a sub-weapon system to augment the prosthetic arts, personally.
I have a bit of hope that they didn't do DLC to save stuff for a sequel

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just have Demon of Hatred and the Final Boss left. I have 18 Vitality and 2 Prayer Beads, so I guess I missed a mini-boss somewhere. I farmed Skill points for attack power.

Demon of Hatred seems fun!

I will probably take a huge break after beating this game.

Edit 3 Prayer Beads. Forgot a bout a certain swordsman. So, Demon for a final prayer bead and then the end

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game in the current sale on PSN and have been playing it over the last few days. So far i'm really enjoying it. Getting the hang of deflecting at the right moment took me a little bit, but now that i have acclimated to it has been a lot of fun, feeling almost like a rythm game. Landing a Mikiri counter is one of the most satisfying things i have experiencened in a game.

Only fought one boss until now, Lady Butterfly. In the beginning she was really destroying me but then i learned her patterns and i could make it to her second phase without much problems. But then she summoned her phantoms and that always fucked me up. Like i got pretty good at deflecting her but it took me too long to do any posture damage before she summoned them again. So i just concentrated on dodging and hitting her as fast as i could, keeping the strings short and not really caring if she got one or two hits in. And fighting her this way it felt way too easy. She was like a total pushover. I can't help but think this should not have been possible. Beating her without deflecting her much.

Right now i'm fighting the dude on the horse and i'm already loving him. He is throwing me through the air a lot and it's exhilarating. I really like the animations of his horse when it makes a sharp turn, so much speed and power.

One thing i did not expect is that this game feels so much like a Souls game. There are so many things that remind me of the Souls games which in turn makes this game feel a lot more familiar.

I'm really invested in the story and the characters, reading every item description to get more context. I really love the world they have created here.

So far i'm liking it a lot and i'm looking forward to playing more.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this back in November and I keep pushing it back due to being anxious about playing it, which I've never had before in any game. I've beat Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but I always end up becoming over leveled at some point which helps. I'm worried I might not be able to beat this game due to my inability to do that.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this back in November and I keep pushing it back due to being anxious about playing it, which I've never had before in any game. I've beat Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but I always end up becoming over leveled at some point which helps. I'm worried I might not be able to beat this game due to my inability to do that.

I think you'll be okay. There are some bosses that you will have to probably spend hours mastering, but I don't think any require unbelievable skill/dexterity/reflexes. They can all be overcome if you are committed to putting in the time and attempts and developing strategy. And there are tons of guides/advice if you get stuck.

I had a bit of anxiety too when I first played it, because I was loving it and didn't want to hit a wall and not be able to finish. There is one boss about 40% of the way through that is really a gatekeeper boss, and can seem impossible for a while. Took me I don't know how many times. Anyway, that boss teaches you really how to play, so you can consider it an investment that will pay off, and if you can beat him, most would agree that you are capable of beating the game as long as you stick with it.

I'm pretty average skill set wise, but I platinumed this and Bloodborne. Overall I'd say its difficulty is a tad over-rated, so don't be intimidated, just commit yourself to patience and not being frustrated. Expect some boss fights to take hours to master or several sessions - take the pressure off in that way. I have this thread bookmarked btw and look at every few days, developed a lot of good strategies, so let me know if you ever need help.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll be okay. There are some bosses that you will have to probably spend hours mastering, but I don't think any require unbelievable skill/dexterity/reflexes. They can all be overcome if you are committed to putting in the time and attempts and developing strategy. And there are tons of guides/advice if you get stuck.

I had a bit of anxiety too when I first played it, because I was loving it and didn't want to hit a wall and not be able to finish. There is one boss about 40% of the way through that is really a gatekeeper boss, and can seem impossible for a while. Took me I don't know how many times. Anyway, that boss teaches you really how to play, so you can consider it an investment that will pay off, and if you can beat him, most would agree that you are capable of beating the game as long as you stick with it.

I'm pretty average skill set wise, but I platinumed this and Bloodborne. Overall I'd say its difficulty is a tad over-rated, so don't be intimidated, just commit yourself to patience and not being frustrated. Expect some boss fights to take hours to master or several sessions - take the pressure off in that way. I have this thread bookmarked btw and look at every few days, developed a lot of good strategies, so let me know if you ever need help.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the encouragement!

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Oniwa in my second attempt lol. Was not expecting that at all. I kinda lucked out because he wasn't using any danger moves. I was chasing his horses tail the whole fight, running in circles. It was really funny. The few times he got away i used the Grappling Hook to get back to him.

I also met Tengu and did his quest and i have to say those assassins are really annoying to fight when in a group. Got an Esoteric Text as my reward, nice! I have so many skills to invest in, and can also upgrade my Prosthetic Tools too. I wonder if i should focus on one tool or do i get enough mats to upgrade all?

Oct 29, 2017
Finished my second run and did the return ending, foight Owl(Father) too and that was a really hard boss fight but really good. Overall I think this is my modern FROM games ranking now:

Bloodborne
Sekiro
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls

There are still thing that I think Souls does better but Sekiro is really incredible, I do have some problems with it:
I am not a super fan of the economy of the game, I think every enemy should give you spirit emblems tbh
Some encounter design is pretty baffling coming from DS3 and BB, besides when they pair some strong enemies together, the arenas they chose for some fights are really bad. BB and DS3 always make sure you are going to fight stuff in wide areas without obstacles to your vision, Sekiro for whatever reason forgets that.
Otherwise, fuckin' 10/10.

I did a very quick NG+ run too to get the Shura ending and Emma was a really fun boss fight besides that annoying dash attack that was so obviously a heal punish lmao
Old Ishin was great too but I was not a huge fan of his second phase, I particularly didn't like perfect parrying that Ichimonji with fire and he just following it up anyway

I am thinking of getting the platinum on this now

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Oniwa in my second attempt lol. Was not expecting that at all. I kinda lucked out because he wasn't using any danger moves. I was chasing his horses tail the whole fight, running in circles. It was really funny. The few times he got away i used the Grappling Hook to get back to him.

I also met Tengu and did his quest and i have to say those assassins are really annoying to fight when in a group. Got an Esoteric Text as my reward, nice! I have so many skills to invest in, and can also upgrade my Prosthetic Tools too. I wonder if i should focus on one tool or do i get enough mats to upgrade all?

The axe and shurikens have practical abilities against multiple enemy types (shields and ranged enemies or dogs). They also can be useful in upgrades against regular enemies and the axe is effective against some minibosses. Early in the game against bosses, the fireworks are the best investment for boss fights because they seem to work versus most anything and give you an opportunity to deal some free damage, especially against beast type enemies. Long-term I found the umbrella to be the most useful for some of the games more difficult bosses, offering the ability to shelter under some pretty devestating AOE attacks, and even counterattack them.

So I would say those 4 are the core that you want to have. The other ones have their uses and I would see if they fit into how you want to do combat, flame vent and sabimuru for example are really effective versus particular enemies. Finger whistle for has uses in separating enemies from groups or turning certain enemies against one another.

I seem to remember its not all that hard to upgrade multiple throughout and of course you don't get them all at the same time.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
The axe and shurikens have practical abilities against multiple enemy types (shields and ranged enemies or dogs). They also can be useful in upgrades against regular enemies and the axe is effective against some minibosses. Early in the game against bosses, the fireworks are the best investment for boss fights because they seem to work versus most anything and give you an opportunity to deal some free damage, especially against beast type enemies. Long-term I found the umbrella to be the most useful for some of the games more difficult bosses, offering the ability to shelter under some pretty devestating AOE attacks, and even counterattack them.

So I would say those 4 are the core that you want to have. The other ones have their uses and I would see if they fit into how you want to do combat, flame vent and sabimuru for example are really effective versus particular enemies. Finger whistle for has uses in separating enemies from groups or turning certain enemies against one another.

I seem to remember its not all that hard to upgrade multiple throughout and of course you don't get them all at the same time.
Thank you for that detailed answer. I have found the axe and shurikens quite useful but i have not yet used fireworks at all and will try them out on my next session. I will focus on upgrading these three and the umbrella when i get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Woohoo! Beat the game charmless and got the platinum. I may go back on finish up some of the other bosses I skipped in this run. What a game.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
Started the game a few weeks ago and got to the final boss last night. Definitely missed a few things, but have really enjoyed the game so far. So far, the bosses feel more difficult to me than other From bosses, but maybe I just need to play through a few more times (which I've done with the other games).

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having trouble with the Juzou the Drunkard boss fight, as well as the area leading up to him. Am I supposed to just run past the first set of enemies straight to Juzou? Half the time they end up following me into the boss arena itself, and when I die I have to run the whole gauntlet again. I feel like I'm missing something.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm having trouble with the Juzou the Drunkard boss fight, as well as the area leading up to him. Am I supposed to just run past the first set of enemies straight to Juzou? Half the time they end up following me into the boss arena itself, and when I die I have to run the whole gauntlet again. I feel like I'm missing something.
You can go along the roof or under the buildings walkway for a little more stealth, but the enemies should drop aggro after you go through the pool of water - rather than heading straight to Juzou, if you go to the far end of the pool and kill the enemies in the house, then go along the covered walkway you can get a stealth kill on at least one enemy near Juzou, quickly kill one or two others, then run around back through the house again to draw and kill a few more, you can even get a stealth deathblow on Juzou as he de-aggros from following you through the building, then when you've got his HP down a little, then you can call the NPC in to help finish him off if you like.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So, I finally did it. I'm at the end of my platinum run. I've beaten all bosses, upgraded all tools, got all the endings and everything in between. I absolutely love this game. The combat takes some getting used to and just when you think you've got a grasp on it, the game throws you something different. I really struggled with the bosses at the end of the shura playthrough, despite getting passed some more difficult optional boss encounters.

So, now I'm left with one trophy, those of you with the plat probably know which one it is. I've got to unlock all the skills. This feels like a monumental task. I think I need around 35 or 40 skill points to get there and it takes a good long time just to get one. Could anyone with the plat maybe give me a rough estimate on how long this is going to take? I'm grinding at the late game spot, the one with the tower guard and the big gun guy. Anyway, I'll probably "play" an hour or so a night just grinding for this thing. Almost there. I think I'll either play Bloodborne DLC or Nioh afterwards. Not sure though.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
Could anyone with the plat maybe give me a rough estimate on how long this is going to take?
This was my last trophy as well. I think grinded a couple of hours a day after work for 4-5 days. Really boring, but I switched between 3 different farming spots to get some variation.
1: The stairs beneath the castle, 2: The soldiers before The Ogre and 3: The ninjas in the upper part of the castle.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I went along taking out the guys along the path and then when you get to him went stealth through the building on the left and came up behind him and got a deathblow and tried to take out a few of his goons before running away and hiding back a bit behind the rocks in the water until they lost sight of me. Then if you go up and talk to that NPC on the bank of pond he will go in with you and fight with you. Try to take out the grunts first and then if he stays alive you may get a 2 on 1 on the drunkards with him having only one bar of health.

You have to be a bit careful with minibosses in terms of getting a stealth deathblow, because if you go away too much for them to de-aggro, their extra bar of health regenerates I think.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Ive been interested in sekiro since before it came out but have only beaten like more than half of bloodborne and hearing this was the hardest from game I was kind of terrified of even trying.

At the start of the month I wanted to prove to myself I could do this with just being frusrated with playing smash ultimate and not feeling like I am improving (two different games I know). It really pushed me at times especially the genichiro fight I died so many times on that. But after that is when I really learned the game and last night I just beat it for the 2nd time on NG+ cause I wanted to get the true ending.

Though I have to say I wish the shura ending wasnt in the game, I would never even want to think about picking those options and it feels weird in a game where you are already a character, not a player stand in

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
You can go along the roof or under the buildings walkway for a little more stealth, but the enemies should drop aggro after you go through the pool of water - rather than heading straight to Juzou, if you go to the far end of the pool and kill the enemies in the house, then go along the covered walkway you can get a stealth kill on at least one enemy near Juzou, quickly kill one or two others, then run around back through the house again to draw and kill a few more, you can even get a stealth deathblow on Juzou as he de-aggros from following you through the building, then when you've got his HP down a little, then you can call the NPC in to help finish him off if you like.
I went along taking out the guys along the path and then when you get to him went stealth through the building on the left and came up behind him and got a deathblow and tried to take out a few of his goons before running away and hiding back a bit behind the rocks in the water until they lost sight of me. Then if you go up and talk to that NPC on the bank of pond he will go in with you and fight with you. Try to take out the grunts first and then if he stays alive you may get a 2 on 1 on the drunkards with him having only one bar of health.

You have to be a bit careful with minibosses in terms of getting a stealth deathblow, because if you go away too much for them to de-aggro, their extra bar of health regenerates I think.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I was able to beat this guy on my second try tonight using your strategies! I didn't realize I was supposed to pick off enemies, wait for the alarm to end, then do it again. It almost feels like I was cheesing the battle, but a straight up fight feels nearly impossible to win otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great! :)
Speedrunners and pros probably run in and take on Juzou and the whole troop, but I think the building wing is there specifically to peel them off and for stealth - a kill is a kill and Sekiro is a shinobi after all! The boss straight after Juzou can be tough that early, so if you hit a wall with them, going back to the main area and progressing a bit to come back stronger is totally normal.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice, guys! I was able to beat this guy on my second try tonight using your strategies! I didn't realize I was supposed to pick off enemies, wait for the alarm to end, then do it again. It almost feels like I was cheesing the battle, but a straight up fight feels nearly impossible to win otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

He's a tough miniboss because he's surrounded by so many enemies and usually you fight him pretty early before you are very good or have a lot of health or tools. I think that's why they put that NPC there to help you out. In NG+ I think I just took him down pretty straight up.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
For the end of the game
Is it possible to do the purification, return, and standard (non-shura) ending by save scumming AFTER Isshin but before giving the items, or do you have to beat Isshin 3 times, once for each ending?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
haha, fortunately you don't have to as you can go back to the meditation spot before triggering the end. Although once you are able to beat him, he's pretty fun to fight with the pressure off.