• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
Adding fog walls to prevent progression until a mini-boss is beaten kinda sucks. I loved how open everything seemed in previous demos, with the game really encouraging you to use every possible tactic, including evasion if you wanted to save a tough enemy for later and sneak past them.

Between this and the lame change to the Headless enemy, I hope From doesn't second-guess themselves anymore before next weekend.

The fog wall looks...weird and out of place in the game and the placement over the previously reachable hole in the wall looks bizarre.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
FrLDP1g.gif

when i leave wok on friday

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It used to appear behind you before vanishing, so it was in two places at once for a moment. Now it does a standard teleport. This is the most disappointing thing about the game for me so far.
Maybe I'm missing something but that sounds...like not a big change at all?
Yeah, it seems unfair to have it appear right behind you and attacking, while you're defending against it from the front at the same time.

Oct 31, 2017
"There are no bad fromsoft games"

as a looooong time fromsoft and armored core player... i wish this was true. It's weird having been a long time FROMSOFT player seeing just how different the opinion of them post dark souls is. Like everyone in the universe exists in this time bubble where dark souls was the first game they ever made.

I LOVE Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 and I even like Enchanted Arms :(

Dec 6, 2017
US
All this talk in here is bringing my hype to absolutely nuclear levels, seriously. With DMC5 petering out way earlier for me than expected, this is haaaaarrrddd...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought it was a little cheap, but it added an immense level of weirdness and creepiness that I really liked so I was okay with it.
Considering how hard From's game to be and how important parrying is over dodging, I can see why they wouldn't want an enemy that would have players locked on to something in front of them while it was also coming up behind them. That sounds cheap and disorienting and not in a good way

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering how hard From's game to be and how important parrying is over dodging, I can see why they wouldn't want an enemy that would have players locked on to something in front of them while it was also coming up behind them. That sounds cheap and disorienting and not in a good way
I'd argue that it falls into the same territory as Winter Lanterns and Brainsuckers from Bloodborne.

Those enemies are really unbalanced, but you encounter them rarely and they're meant to be absolutely terrifying to fight. They always come up in "scariest enemy" threads and left a huge impression on players.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we can migrate here until the OT is posted lol.

But yeah, as I was saying in the other thread, it is more the idea of not being able to complete the game on my own that bothers me. Especially when I know I can get it done but I just need to execute better. So, no co-op for me.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know what the Steam unlock times are. It's probably at like 6pm Friday GMT time, which would be shitty. Don't think Steam ever unlocked something at midnight. This is also why I'm second guessing getting the game on PC. On PS4 I could play it at midnight and play through the night instead of having to wait the whole day until the unlock.

Oct 25, 2017

But yeah, as I was saying in the other thread, it is more the idea of not being able to complete the game on my own that bothers me. Especially when I know I can get it done but I just need to execute better. So, no co-op for me.

Same way I feel. If people can do no damage runs and beat the game with all kinda handicaps, I can certainly beat the main game solo.

I typically do NG all the way until the highest NG+. Hopefully Sekiro doesnt buck this trend.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah sorry about that. It's better to keep the gameplay stuff here and we can discuss reviews in the actual review thread down the line.

I can see a lot of people wanting to have some kind of co-op. I do however believe the game i structured in a good way for those people. Stuck on a miniboss? There's the eavesdrop mechanic that can reveal weaknesses (we had nothing like this in souls, to this extent at least). Stuck on a main boss? You are free to explore the world and find upgrades for your vitality/attack power along with exp grinding to get more unique skills.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I really want to know what the Steam unlock times are. It's probably at like 6pm Friday GMT time, which would be shitty. Don't think Steam ever unlocked something at midnight. This is also why I'm second guessing getting the game on PC. On PS4 I could play it at midnight and play through the night instead of having to wait the whole day until the unlock.
Oh God I hope not. Mainly because I am very busy on weekend so i won't be able to play till Monday lol.
DMC5 and Metro Exodus unlocked way earlier(like 13-14 hrs earlier) so I am really hoping it's the same with Sekiro.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I beat DS1 and BB on my own so if I'm able to adapt to the new systems I shouldn't have problems completing it.

Only things I'm concerned about right now is that someone mentioned it's way too tempting to run past almost every normal enemy once you already died to them. Part of that is that combat against normal enemies just takes longer because of the deathblow animations, and it's just way easier to get past almost everything because of the added mobility.

Oh and the framerate of the base PS4 version. Not having a single impression on this so close before launch is really whack, and seeing how the Pro version sometimes dips into the 30s, I'm kind of concerned.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry about that. It's better to keep the gameplay stuff here and we can discuss reviews in the actual review thread down the line.

I can see a lot of people wanting to have some kind of co-op. I do however believe the game i structured in a good way for those people. Stuck on a miniboss? There's the eavesdrop mechanic that can reveal weaknesses (we had nothing like this in souls). Stuck on a main boss? You are free to explore the world and find upgrades for your vitality/attack power along with exp grinding to get more unique skills.
From what we've seen, it looks like From added a lot of resources and mechanics to help make up for the lack of co-op and messages. The more open-ended approach to combat, more NPCs to talk to who actually give helpful details about the environments and enemies instead of just cryptic lore, eavesdropping and stealth, NPC allies to recruit, etc

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
From what we've seen, it looks like From added a lot of resources and mechanics to help make for the lack of co-op and messages. The more open-ended approach to combat, more NPCs to talk to who actually give helpful details about the environments and enemies instead of just cryptic lore, eavesdropping and stealth, NPC allies to recruit, etc

Absolutely, I mean it must have been something they've thought about a lot during development.

Oct 25, 2017
Same way I feel. If people can do no damage runs and beat the game with all kinda handicaps, I can certainly beat the main game solo.

I typically do NG all the way until the highest NG+. Hopefully Sekiro doesnt buck this trend.
Exactly. I'm nowhere near the best of the best but I should be able to at least manage that much lol.

I can see a lot of people wanting to have some kind of co-op. I do however believe the game i structured in a good way for those people. Stuck on a miniboss? There's the eavesdrop mechanic that can reveal weaknesses (we had nothing like this in souls, to this extent at least). Stuck on a main boss? You are free to explore the world and find upgrades for your vitality/attack power along with exp grinding to get more unique skills.
No, you're fine!

Mhm, From isn't completely leaving you out there with nothing. There are still bits and pieces to rely on in the game. I can also understand there are other things folk can get out of co-op.

Oct 25, 2017
From what we've seen, it looks like From added a lot of resources and mechanics to help make up for the lack of co-op and messages. The more open-ended approach to combat, more NPCs to talk to who actually give helpful details about the environments and enemies instead of just cryptic lore, eavesdropping and stealth, NPC allies to recruit, etc
Oh, I didn't know you could recruit allies.

Oct 25, 2017
I beat DS1 and BB on my own so if I'm able to adapt to the new systems I shouldn't have problems completing it.

Only things I'm concerned about right now is that someone mentioned it's way too tempting to run past almost every normal enemy once you already died to them. Part of that is that combat against normal enemies just takes longer because of the deathblow animations, and it's just way easier to get past almost everything because of the added mobility.

Oh and the framerate of the base PS4 version. Not having a single impression on this so close before launch is really whack, and seeing how the Pro version sometimes dips into the 30s, I'm kind of concerned.

I already do this is Soulsborne now. Once I beat an enemy, I dont do it again until next new game. If you dont need the Sen, Skill Points, White Spirit Emblems or Resurrection Tokens why bother?

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't expect anything above 30 fps on base PS4

Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing I want from Sekiro, it's Sculptor Idols outside of boss arenas.

I hate the majority of treks back to Soulsborne bosses.

The increased mobility should go a long way but if I'm dying again and again, I just wanna re-try the boss after death.

Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing I want from Sekiro, it's Sculptor Idols outside of boss arenas.

I hate the majority of treks back to Soulsborne bosses.

The increased mobility should go a long way but if I'm dying again and again, I just wanna re-try the boss after death.
There is generally shortcuts that make those treks pretty small, so I don't think what you want is needed.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
You just know one of these hidden areas will be located in a super obscure place and have the best shit in the game behind it.

gRXRxKi.gif

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you all preorder on PC? I'm thinking either GMG or CDKeys, but I'm not sure who sends the key faster

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
No, outside of Souls their games go from barely ok to bad.

Hell no, King's Field is awesome. KFIV: Ancient Gates is like a precursor to the aesthetics in Demon/Dark Souls. Even the OG PS1 game had a sense of brooding ambiance that runs through the Souls games. Theyre much slower paced but scratch an itch for pure dungeon crawling exploration.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already do this is Soulsborne now. Once I beat an enemy, I dont do it again until next new game. If you dont need the Sen, Skill Points, White Spirit Emblems or Resurrection Tokens why bother?
I only do it in places where it just would take too long, like in the first gauntlet in Bloodborne with the 15 dudes on the street or that way to yahar'gul with the 2 executioners and the 2 assholes shooting at you from places you can't reach. The question is how often these situations occur in Sekiro.
I wouldn't expect anything above 30 fps on base PS4
I never did, what I would like though is a steady 30 fps.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
like anyone should have doubted this game was going to be amazing

how dare you people

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the game is out a day early in Australia andNew Zealand does that mean we can download it early if we switch our region like ds3?