• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a brand new 4K TV just for this game. Playing through some older games right now to test it out and it just makes me more excited for Sekiro. I'm moving apartments the week it releases, so I'll probably have to wait a few days to really get into it, but I know I'll be sitting on the floor of my new apartment playing this instead of unpacking.

Oct 29, 2017
Reading the description sounds like you only get dragonrot when you actually die and ressurection is a way to avoid it?
Dk9Af6p.jpg

Bearbomb

Oct 27, 2017
I looked at a tiny bit of preview but trying to stay away as much as possible. I know stealth is a big part of the game (or can be?) but can you go in guns blazing if you want to without much punishment?

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I looked at a tiny bit of preview but trying to stay away as much as possible. I know stealth is a big part of the game (or can be?) but can you go in guns blazing if you want to without much punishment?

It looks very difficult to handle a lot of enemies at once. Stealth is there to even out the odds so it's advised but with the right tools you can probably go in guns blazing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Trophy lists are usually datamined. The game isn't leaked as far as I know thankfully.
And the ending leak on reddit? I have not seen it so idk if it is legit but I wonder how that can get out without it being a tester.

Maybe we should think about getting a spoilers thread going as absurd as it sounds.

As to the Dragonrot/half XP & gold dilemma; couldn't this just be avoided by reloading your most recent save instead of choosing to come back to life or continuing?
Even opening the menu in Dark Souls causes the game to save. I think we can rule out trying to weasel your way out of dying in Sekiro as the game would probably use the same saving system.

In the Vaati video he mentioned something about this iirc but I forgot what it was.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So there aren't really RPG elements to be found I heard. Do you upgrade your sword/armor or do you just get new prosthetics as the game moves forward, ala Zelda?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
This is great, thank you.

Big warning to everyone the trophy list for Sekiro is leaked so be very careful when treading the web.
Fuck. Gotta watch Twitch with chat off for the next two weeks.

I posted these screenshots earlier in the thread, this is the in-game lore that I saw in SunlightBlade's preview video:

My understanding was that repeated use of resurrection causes the spread of Dragonrot to accelerate. Lobos said he thought it would occur even with actual death, but maybe at a slower rate. He wasn't sure. Eurogamer's preview also covered it, with Aoife stating that resurrection was the trigger ("the more you die, resurrect and use the dragon's blood power"). I took that to mean the resurrection process specifically; electing to die when given the option isn't a use of the power as far as I'm aware.

And if it's only resurrection that causes it, I thought I'd try a no-resurrection run on my first playthrough to see if it triggers a different ending or something.

Yeah it makes sense that its tied to the resurrection mechanic. They need a way to balance such an OP mechanic as well as have that risk/reward gameplay and story wise. It also adds replayability.

Resurrection:

Kill tough enemy and dont lose half of your xp/currency making it easier to get through the game, but too much and your NPCs will progressively get sick, your Unseen Aid % will decrease along with unforeseen gameplay implications.

Stay Dead:

You lose half your Xp/currency and it potentially becomes more difficult to get through the game or at least upgrade as frequently. However you retain your Unseen Aid % meaning there's a higher chance that you keep your xp/currency the further along you are in the game and NPCs will stay healthy.

Thisis an incredibly interesting mechanic imo and a big twist on how wethink about dying/losing our progress in these games. It's also can serve as a sort of difficulty scaling that's organic like souls and leveling was, only this is even more intertwined into the story and gameplay systems.

Idk how Miyakazi and FROM continue to keep this level of consistency betweeb gameplay design and story/world. Shits amazing.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
And the ending leak on reddit? I have not seen it so idk if it is legit but I wonder how that can get out without it being a tester.

Maybe we should think about getting a spoilers thread going as absurd as it sounds.

I wouldn't even dare to click on a ending thread. Yeah no trophy list discussions here if people really want to discuss that, they should make a seperate thread.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So there aren't really RPG elements to be found I heard. Do you upgrade your sword/armor or do you just get new prosthetics as the game moves forward, ala Zelda?

There are no stats but there are extensive upgrade trees and you also get new gear for your fake arm. You can also upgrade things like health.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Could you maybe pm me the list? I just wanna check one thing out, not going to spoil myself everything

Edit: Already found it. That's a good amount of bosses considering mini bosses don't have their own trophies. Not going to leak the number, but I'm content with the number

Keep this out pls I really don't want to report users.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Could you maybe pm me the list? I just wanna check one thing out, not going to spoil myself everything

Edit: Already found it. That's a good amount of bosses considering mini bosses don't have their own trophies. Not going to leak the number, but I'm content with the number
Done.

I will say that not even counting mid-bosses and hidden bosses - this game definitely delivers in the main boss amount 🤘🏻

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I wouldn't consider what was said a spoiler but probably best to avoid all discussions about the trophies. Probably not worth doing a spoiler thread until there's at least copies in the wild?

Bearbomb

Oct 27, 2017
It looks very difficult to handle a lot of enemies at once. Stealth is there to even out the odds so it's advised but with the right tools you can probably go in guns blazing.
So kind of like a souls game where you would get overwhelmed, I am fine with that ha ha

It's the only way to get a lot of upgrades as they're only dropped by the tougher enemies

Ah. So you get better exp or skill points or something by doing stealth takeouts? I don't inherently have an issue with stealth as much as I just suck at being sneaky ha ha

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I wouldn't consider what was said a spoiler but probably best to avoid all discussions about the trophies. Probably not worth doing a spoiler thread until there's at least copies in the wild?

Yes it's very easy to not just mention anything at all about it. Any more mentions of it and I make sure a mod closes this thread in a heartbeat.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any information out there on how this runs on PS4 Pro?

I'd like to play it on PS4 but if the performance is horrendous I'd probably have to go PC.

Dark Souls 3, on Pro, has an unlocked framerate that generally stays in the 40s or higher which I find to be mostly acceptable. Bloodborne type performance would not be acceptable.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

I'd like to play it on PS4 but if the performance is horrendous I'd probably have to go PC.

Dark Souls 3, on Pro, has an unlocked framerate that generally stays in the 40s which I find to be mostly acceptable. Bloodborne type performance would not be acceptable.

Yup added a section in the OP and a threadmark, it's only one single outlets impression but it's at least something.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR

Dark Souls 3, on Pro, has an unlocked framerate that generally stays in the 40s or higher which I find to be mostly acceptable. Bloodborne type performance would not be acceptable.
I thought I read in a past thread that FROM was focusing more on resolution than frames.

May 17, 2018
There are major spoilers in the list - things most players wouldn't want to know before playing Sekiro; so if anyone wants to be 100% surprised, don't look at the list.

I guess? I mean, if you don't want to know anything about the game, why are you in the preview thread?

Like, I won't post anything about the list in case of the people you're referring to, but, I just don't see what the big deal is about that list.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
According to that text, the game runs at mostly 60 fps on Pro. If that's accurate I'm extremely pleased to hear that. That's amazing news. Super hyped now.

Yeah, it's not official information by the devs/publisher or a DF video analyzing it. They told me the source is pretty credible though.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
According to that text, the game runs at mostly 60 fps on Pro. If that's accurate I'm extremely pleased to hear that. That's amazing news. Super hyped now.

The idea of playing a From Software game at around 60 fps, at launch and on a console, is super exciting to me. I shudder remembering Dark Souls's performance on ps3.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw the e3 video but want to go in blind as much as possible. DS3 was a wonderful game but not so much surprising like the first one and I envy people who play Dark Souls for the first time. I really hope this game can make me feel samish in the day Dark Souls followed me into my dreams and every day life while I was trying to understand and play through it.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PC Gamer's video has a clear look at that certain secret enemy from the TGS demo, also there's an interesting status effect that pops up

e075bb60-aab7-45a7-b68vkpw.png

That message is so subtly foreboding. And that enemy is so creepy. The way it just appears behind you is pure horror game stuff. That head rip kill!

That terror status is interesting. Definitely hints that there will be some creepy stuff in this game, if that's a debuff

Ah, they made one really disappointing change to this enemy.

In the TGS demo, he could appear next to you BEFORE disappearing in front of you, giving the impression that he was in two places at once. Absolutely terrifying and brilliant, I'm really sad they changed it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, they made one really disappointing change to this enemy.

In the TGS demo, he could appear next to you BEFORE disappearing in front of you, giving the impression that he was in two places at once. Absolutely terrifying and brilliant, I'm really sad they changed it.
It looked cool but it was really badly telegraphed. Also if I remember correctly I never saw him doing that instakill grab right after he appeared behind you in the earlier version. That would have been overkill, too.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone figured out how resurrect charges are obtained exactly? I know that deathblow on mini bosses gets a chunk, and a mini boss kill is 1 full charge, but other than that I see no correlation between various regular enemy kills, be it regular deathblow or shinobi deathblow, or even no deathblow. You just sometimes get it and sometimes don't, at least from the videos that I've seen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Nitpicky but I'm not a fan of the changes to the ogre guy. The glowing eyes look kinda goofy. I liked his placement better in that bombed out crater looking area as well. Seems like a better spot to get used to him.

Jul 20, 2018
w
Nitpicky but I'm not a fan of the changes to the ogre guy. The glowing eyes look kinda goofy. I liked his placement better in that bombed out crater looking area as well. Seems like a better spot to get used to him.

I agree that the larger area seems better for for fighting him, and that staircase seems better for the General.

I like the eyes though. From's action games since Demon's Souls have all had enemies with glowing eyes so it's something I like to see.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
w

I agree that the larger area seems better for for fighting him, and that staircase seems better for the General.

I like the eyes though. From's action games since Demon's Souls have all had enemies with glowing eyes so it's something I like to see.
I think for me it's just how they glow. Weird trail to them. Looks a little tacky to my eyes. When you deliver a deathblow, one should go out imo.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I agree.

The red eyes look out of place and gimmicky. If that merely means he's weak to fire, then the eavesdropping part is all we needed to ascertain that and players don't need the red eyes to figure that out anymore.

I liked him in the crater as well. It seemed like an area where they would let him loose to kill prisoners for sport, where the guards could sit around the top of the area and enjoy the carnage. Placing him at the top of the stairs to guard a door - while chained up?? - seems silly.