• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mod Post: Regarding leaks or information unrelated to the preview

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
Do not talk about spoilers for this game not contained in the preview material. If you want to make a different thread to discuss something like a leaked trophy list, please do, but please do not discuss it here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Orge/General placement was better in the demo. It's like how they removed the Amygdala that was chilling on top of a tower in Yharnam from the Bloodborne Alpha. Sometimes From second-guesses themselves in weird ways.

It looked cool but it was really badly telegraphed. Also if I remember correctly I never saw him doing that instakill grab right after he appeared behind you in the earlier version. That would have been overkill, too.
That's what made it so cool, though. As long as it was limited to this one enemy, you had to constantly look over your shoulder even when he was still in front of you. It was genuinely frightening in a way these games rarely are, and I've been using it as an example of From's boundless imagination for months. haha

And he totally did the "poop-thief" move after teleporting: https://youtu.be/3tAJKJy_GuU?t=240

(I guess we can stop spoiler-tagging this enemy, since he's in the approved PC Gamer preview footage.)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in here talking about PS Pro performance and here I'm sitting with my base ass PS4 slim and hope it at least manages stable 30fps lol.
Yeah, Orge/General placement was better in the demo. It's like how they removed the Amygdala that was chilling on top of a tower in Yharnam from the Bloodborne Alpha. Sometimes From second-guesses themselves in weird ways.

That's what made it so cool, though. As long as it was limited to this one enemy, you had to constantly look over your shoulder even when he was still in front of you. It was genuinely frightening in a way these games rarely are, and I've been using it as an example of From's boundless imagination for months. haha

And he totally did the "poop-thief" move after teleporting: https://youtu.be/3tAJKJy_GuU?t=240

(I guess we can stop spoiler-tagging this enemy, since he's in the approved PC Gamer preview footage.)
Huh...well then...that's weird that they changed it indeed. But what I noticed is that he always vanishes before doing his circle motion with the sword, in the demo and in the new build, so it's not that severe of a change. It absolutely looked cool though.

Mar 19, 2018
Most of them have footage capturing new areas and enemies and maybe 1 boss or so. The Easy Allies one is pretty minor in gameplay footage and it's more talking but very informative.
I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the overly positive style of EA when it comes to pods and steams. However, their coverage when it comes to previewing, or reviewing a game is by far the best.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
im trying not to look into it too much to avoid spoilers. Has anyone made comparisons on difficulty to bloodborne? Thats the only game like it ive played. Harder or easier?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
okay so from this thread there was this post:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...-previews-thread.103237/page-26#post-18607945

but then it was the other thread where these posts were posted:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...ce-to-all-outlets.103904/page-9#post-18614874
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...ce-to-all-outlets.103904/page-9#post-18615455
just seems like there's some indication that there will be a unlocked frame rate option for the Pro and X. I remember seeing another post in a xbox interview or something where they state that they want to support the X with a high res option and a performance option but I can't find that post.

How come when I click on those links it never takes me to the post that's being linked? It just takes me to the top of the page.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im trying not to look into it too much to avoid spoilers. Has anyone made comparisons on difficulty to bloodborne? Thats the only game like it ive played. Harder or easier?

Difficulty is always relative but from the previews who are mostly well known Souls content creators they say it's harder.

Some saying they are so use to dodging and blocking over the past decade it is probably hurting them a bit and how quickly you adapt to new things will dictate how hard/easy you find the game.

Oh yeah and Sekiro is focused down one core action style (shinobi) so unlike Souls if you are crap at that then you won't have many other options that smooth over your weaknesses.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh yeah and Sekiro is focused down one core action style (shinobi) so unlike Souls if you are crap at that then you won't have many other options that smooth over your weaknesses.
I've seen many players suggest that stealth provides an easier way through the game's areas -- although it won't save you from bosses.

Apr 24, 2018
I have two weeks left to finish Dragon Quest 11, so I can start Sekiro with no regrets. I've seen a few of the earlier short preview videos, not sure if really need to see anymore (although I'm personally fairly indifferent to spoilers). Can't wait!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm like nobody else in this thread. I don't care how much I see, I just wanna see more.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I guess the only thing keeping me from choosing a platform now is the load times. Gonna need more info on those when choosing a platform.

I have a $35 X1 version pre-ordered that i'd like to keep given the cost (and I have a X1X), but if I have to sit through a 1 min load when I can't res, i'll just go PC instead.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched Vaati, killing a boss in under a minute after mastering its attack pattern! This game is going to be a dream for speedrunners.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the only thing keeping me from choosing a platform now is the load times. Gonna need more info on those when choosing a platform.

I have a $35 X1 version pre-ordered that i'd like to keep given the cost (and I have a X1X), but if I have to sit through a 1 min load when I can't res, i'll just go PC instead.
...where did you get that deal?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Since dragonrot and death seem to play an important role in the game, wonder if you can do a no death run, if that will have a special ending

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
...where did you get that deal?
There was the Target B2G1 free on games that you could also use on pre-orders. I also have a 10% discount through a family member, and a 5% discount with the REDCard.
Ended up getting KH3, RE2, and soon Sekiro, for $35 each at launch. Though they don't exactly do launch day delivery, the minor inconvenience of a couple day's extra wait is worth getting it like 42% off.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Reading the description sounds like you only get dragonrot when you actually die and ressurection is a way to avoid it?
Mifec posted that earlier but I overlooked part of the description, I thought it was just used to cure the rot. As the item has a positive effect against Dragonrot and boosts resurrection, I can see why actual death would be the trigger and you'd want to avoid that, like you said. DoubleTake talked about this, but in terms of balance it seems a little off if that's the way it works.

Resurrect -> no penalty
Die -> lose half exp & sen, Dragonrot spreads

vs.

Resurrect -> keep exp & sen, Dragonrot spreads
Die -> lose half exp & sen, no Dragonrot effect

ENB showed the Sakura Droplet item on his stream, which also increases Resurrective Power "to allow an additional resurrection".

Since dragonrot and death seem to play an important role in the game, wonder if you can do a no death run, if that will have a special ending
I'm curious to see what happens if you go through the game using only resurrections but never actually die. If the available number of resurrections increases as you accumulate Resurrective Power and progress through the game, a deathless run (meaning, actual death) could be made easier, and it might be the game's way of encouraging it.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Mifec posted that earlier but I overlooked part of the description, I thought it was just used to cure the rot. As the item has a positive effect against Dragonrot and boosts resurrection, I can see why actual death would be the trigger and you'd want to avoid that, like you said. DoubleTake talked about this, but in terms of balance it seems a little off if that's the way it works.

Resurrect -> no penalty
Die -> lose half exp & sen, Dragonrot spreads

vs.

Resurrect -> keep exp & sen, Dragonrot spreads
Die -> lose half exp & sen, no Dragonrot effect

ENB showed the Sakura Droplet item on his stream, which also increases Resurrective Power "to allow an additional resurrection".

I'm curious to see what happens if you go through the game using only resurrections but never actually die. If the available number of resurrections increases as you accumulate Resurrective Power and progress through the game, a deathless run (meaning, actual death) could be made easier, and it might be the game's way of encouraging it.

Very interesting. I wonder if a so called deathless run would be even more forgiving than that like "No NPC is allowed to die from Dragonrot" if that even is possible.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Very interesting. I wonder if a so called deathless run would be even more forgiving than that like "No NPC is allowed to die from Dragonrot" if that even is possible.
I also wonder whether every NPC can be saved...

I guess it depends how many Dragon's Blood Droplet-type items are available to cure them; maybe you need to ration and use them at the right moments? Dragonrot's an interesting mechanic, I can't wait to learn how it really affects things.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the only thing that worries me about this game is replayability...with no pvp or multiplayer...plus no other builds like sorcerer, pyromancer etc...the first time through should be epic but after that maybe not so much

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
As to the Dragonrot/half XP & gold dilemma; couldn't this just be avoided by reloading your most recent save instead of choosing to come back to life or continuing?
Once you die it will probably autosave, so the only way to cheat like this is to reload before you die (maybe using the pause function).

Of course you could upload save data from time to time and then use these to reload an older save, but seems to be quite the pain for little to no benefit.

the only thing that worries me about this game is replayability...with no pvp or multiplayer...plus no other builds like sorcerer, pyromancer etc...the first time through should be epic but after that maybe not so much
Well, there is new game+ or going for a different ending.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I know Dusk didn't say this but some of the discussions in that thread was going towards this being a full blown survival horror game and I myself was guilty of that.

Added a threadmark and a section for it in the OP. So you know where to send people if they ask :)

I would swear that i remember omnipotent saying this game had pretty big horror elements in it

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I would swear that i remember omnipotent saying this game had pretty big horror elements in it

I mean we've seen some creepy stuff in the previews. I can't remember honestly and don't wanna qoute someone but I remember having discussions with others users on how From are finally going back to something weird like a Kuon game. Boy was I wrong haha.