• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sekiro's very existence, paired with From's reasoning to make it a new IP, means that Tenchu is dead forever. It's a...

SHINOBI EXECUTION
GAuCxPf.gif

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the parrying mechanic is more akin to Metal gear solid rising revengeance than Dark souls. I could not parry worth a shit in souls games, but could parry like a god in MGSR:R, which made for spectacular fights (game was designed for that..).

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I will try to play this game without parrying like I avoided that mechanic in Dark Souls. I'm curious if it's viable.
I saw someone do that to the corrupted monk boss, it worked fine. Don't know about other enemies.
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like I'll enjoy it, kind of precisely what I want :)
This is usually how combat flows

Enemies have posture and health. When you clash swords you lose posture depending on if it is a normal block or parry or perfect parry. So let's say an enemy hits you and you block, you lose a fair amount of posture, if you parry they lose posture and you take a small amount of posture damage, if you perfect parry they take a big amount. So the goal is to lower their posture and then do a death blow. You can also lower their health but for bosses it's really not that viable. The lower their health is the slower they regain posture.

Jul 20, 2018
I really hope the parrying mechanic is more akin to Metal gear solid rising revengeance than Dark souls. I could not parry worth a shit in souls games, but could parry like a god in MGSR:R, which made for spectacular fights (game was designed for that..).

I don't really know how it works in MGR but in Sekiro it's a perfect block, rather than... whatever you'd call Souls parries.

It's more immediate and seemingly more forgiving, since it's the emphasis of the combat system this time.

Jan 2, 2018

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
You just press L1 to parry, hold it to block.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone do that to the corrupted monk boss, it worked fine. Don't know about other enemies.
Can you link that? I've never seen someone beat that boss without parrying. I did see one guy do a deathblow, seemingly catching him in that shadow form at one point and majorly short cutting the fight, but I can't remember where.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
That's really good to hear, I love the Souls games, but I played them with sword and shield, without parry, I have to adjust a few thing for Sekiro for sure, but I think it will be a really fun experience.
Yeah you're gonna have to adjust for the dodging, souls veterans and big streamers are having issues trying to play it like souls haha.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it's clear from a lot of these GIFs that the single player focus has really allowed From to elevate their already-fantastic presentation

Like in the scenes from these boss fights, there's a cinematic showdown vibe in the camerawork and animation flourishes that I don't remember the bosses and enemies in Souls or Bloodborne really having. They were wonderfully-animated too, but stuff like the close camera and angle while locked onto the Hag or the up-close-and-personal nature of that fight stands out. Since bosses don't have to be designed with multiplayer in mind, without having to worry about multiple perspectives or multiple combatants or any other aspects tied to co-op, they can make bosses whose attacks are solely focused towards a single player and is seen from a single perspective

ElectricCandidIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

PvX0iEj.gif

good fucking lord this game

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So Lobos mentioned that this NPC from the Terra Mantis preview is the only one Miyazaki personally worked on.

VtzxL7W.jpg
I believe Miyazaki said in an interview that he wanted writers other than himself to work on this project in order to deviate this game from the others because he had a certain writing style and didn't want Sekiro to feel monotnous. He's still working on the overall story as far as I know but the actual writing and diaogue is done by others.

It really did feel that way too when I saw the item descriptions from ENBs stream. Could be confirmation bias but the writing felt more straight to the point and detached from some of the mysticsm found in bloodborne for example.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I believe Miyazaki said in an interview that he wanted writers other than himself to work on this project in order to deviate this game from the others because he had a certain writing style and didn't want Sekiro to feel monotnous. He's still working on the overall story as far as I know but the actual writing and diaogue is done by others.

It really did feel that way too when I saw the item descriptions from ENBs stream. Could be confirmation bias but the writing felt more straight to the point and detached from some of the mysticsm found in bloodborne for example.

Oh yeah I'm fully caught up with that. It's nice to see him directly represented in the game in this way and I'm sure the man is plotting something with this one even if it's just a small NPC, or is it?

Oct 29, 2017

Nah, I noticed that too. Souls descriptions feel more weird in a certain way.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that has actually kind of been disappointment from what I've seen. I liked the poetic prose that seemed like it was from texts that existed in the world. The item descriptions in Sekiro seem very straight-forward, like reading a textbook entry for an item

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that has actually kind of been disappointment from what I've seen. I liked the poetic prose that seemed like it was from texts that existed in the world. The item descriptions in Sekiro seem very straight-forward, like reading a textbook entry for an item

I agree this was very noticeable and the one thing thats disappointed me so far. Im sure the story will be good since Miyakazi had a hand in the overall plot, but the item descriptions so far definitely lack that esoteric flair evident in miyazaki's writing. Everything is very straightforward.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
So I decided to look up Tenchu out of curiosity and wow people weren't kidding about its influence on this. Sekiro looks about as much like Tenchu as it does Soulsborne.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to look up Tenchu out of curiosity and wow people weren't kidding about its influence on this. Sekiro looks about as much like Tenchu as it does Soulsborne.
Sekiro started as a new Tenchu and then evolved into what it is now. It's one of the reasons I'm so excited.

Stealth-focused ninja games are rare, I really like stealth games, I love From's approach and philosophy towards design and narrative and contextualized mechanics/systems, so Sekiro is checking off a lot of boxes there for me

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Tenchu was one of my most played games on PS1. I remember doing round off flips off of roof tops over and over to style behind enemies before I'd go in for the kill. No Ninja stealth game since then has topped it for me. Also, these guys were something else.

HarmoniousHeavyAlligator.gif

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I will try to play this game without parrying like I avoided that mechanic in Dark Souls. I'm curious if it's viable.
It's viable but inefficient. I saw a preview of the scythe boss and a guy tried playing like it was Souls. He barely did posture damage and it took him about 8 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree this was very noticeable and the one thing thats disappointed me so far. Im sure the story will be good since Miyakazi had a hand in the overall plot, but the item descriptions so far definitely lack that esoteric flair evident in miyazaki's writing. Everything is very straightforward.

I look at it like this.

Miyazaki has to sign off on everything; if he didnt like it, it wouldnt be in the game.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
One thing I haven't understood so far is what the health bars are even for in boss fights really? He drains the first health bar completely there but...it doesn't do anything, does it? He still has to do the posture critical attack ultimately to get anywhere?
I believe health affects how quickly enemies regenerate posture. So the more health damage you do, the less consistently you have to stay on the offensive.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I believe health affects how quickly enemies regenerate posture. So the more health damage you do, the less consistently you have to stay on the offensive.

Oh, I see. That'd be pretty cool surely. As incredibly positive as I am about the combat, the one thing that scares me slightly is how quickly some enemies' posture refills despite it being seemingly very hard to get to that amount of posture damage to begin with. Being on a sort of 'timer' in games is a huge pet peeve of mine so I hope it doesn't end up feeling that way constantly.