• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see. That'd be pretty cool surely. As incredibly positive as I am about the combat, the one thing that scares me slightly is how quickly some enemies' posture refills despite it being seemingly very hard to get to that amount of posture damage to begin with. Being on a sort of 'timer' in games is a huge pet peeve of mine so I hope it doesn't end up feeling that way constantly.

As someone who expects to be terrible at this... it does scare me a bit too.

But I think the point is that if you're hitting that "timer", you're probably not approaching it correctly, right? It feels like a system that helps establish the ideal flow of combat, to show that you need to be more aggressive, and so on.

I just know I can be a little stubborn about adapting instead of just bashing up against bosses in things, so I'll just have to make a point learning quicker than usual, hah. It's just kinda weird in general to be sorta excited for this as someone who's only ever briefly touched DS; these previews just happened to hit on a weird day for me and so reading them got me very interested. But since I've played a lot of Hollow Knight kinda recently too (actually, I should go back and finish up the last bits of it alongside this), I guess I'm much more up for that kind of challenge lately? Hmm.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I see. That'd be pretty cool surely. As incredibly positive as I am about the combat, the one thing that scares me slightly is how quickly some enemies' posture refills despite it being seemingly very hard to get to that amount of posture damage to begin with. Being on a sort of 'timer' in games is a huge pet peeve of mine so I hope it doesn't end up feeling that way constantly.
You just need to stay agressive, that's all.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands

But I think the point is that if you're hitting that "timer", you're probably not approaching it correctly, right? It feels like a system that helps establish the ideal flow of combat, to show that you need to be more aggressive, and so on.

I just know I can be a little stubborn about adapting instead of just bashing up against bosses in things, so I'll just have to make a point learning quicker than usual, hah. It's just kinda weird in general to be sorta excited for this as someone who's only ever briefly touched DS; these previews just happened to hit on a weird day for me and so reading them got me very interested. But since I've played a lot of Hollow Knight kinda recently too (actually, I should go back and finish up the last bits of it alongside this), I guess I'm much more up for that kind of challenge lately? Hmm.
(The below is a speculative interpretation -- it all depends on the actual implementation of these systems.)

The posture-meter is maybe there so that your agile player character can't just move in, slash, move out, repeat. The health is then there so that this method will work eventually, at least. There is definitely a sense in which the typical Souls combat is simplistic (it's just that the animations and hit-reactions are top-notch), so I assume this will be an implicit "easy mode" where you don't have to pay as much attention to the enemy as you would, if you wanted to consistently perfect-block them.

I feel like it might be the action-game equivalent of RPG grinding (to compensate in part for the removal of leveling in Sekiro?), which allows worse players to complete the game as well: It'll take you longer, but the game will be easier.

Dec 6, 2017
US

You just need to stay agressive, that's all.

No I mean what you guys are saying is probably exactly the case, I would just prefer to not be on a timer for it is all. But again, this is just my looking at the theory, it'll probably feel totally natural once you get in the flow of things.

I have yet to see From introduce a system that wasn't well thought-out and cool so I don't doubt this'll work out just fine. It's just a nagging worry I have about it. It's worse watching videos because I just want to yell 'get in there!!!!' when I see that meter drop haha...

megathemiis

Oct 27, 2017
I also had the chance to play the game in the preview event that took place in London. My preview article, along with a video preview just went up. For anyone that can read Greek content here you go. https://unboxholics.com/stories/61218-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-video-preview

I am extremely excited for the game after my hands on time with it. FromSoft has crafted an excellent, precise, responsive and deep combat system and the whole formula is fresh and unique, while keeping some beloved elements from the Souls games.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I also had the chance to play the game in the preview event that took place in London. My preview article, along with a video preview just went up. For anyone that can read Greek content here you go. https://unboxholics.com/stories/61218-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-video-preview

I am extremely excited for the game after my hands on time with it. FromSoft has crafted an excellent, precise, responsive and deep combat system and the whole formula is fresh and unique, while keeping some beloved elements from the Souls games.
Google translate was a little dicey but I got the gist. Nice job!

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the vein of DMC5's silly unlockable live action cutscenes, I hope that NG+ gives you the option of playing with classic cheesy ninja sound effects. Sekiro shouting "Nin nin!" every time he performs a ninjutsu, or "Zun!" as he jumps would be pretty great.

Also, I think the "braindead AI" bug from Bloodborne might be back in some form. The enemies from 5:00 on in the video below behave really passively:
https://youtu.be/4iOe32waruI?t=296

Jul 20, 2018
In the vein of DMC5's silly unlockable live action cutscenes, I hope that NG+ gives you the option of playing with classic cheesy ninja sound effects. Sekiro shouting "Nin nin!" every time he performs a ninjutsu, or "Zun!" as he jumps would be pretty great.

Also, I think the "braindead AI" bug from Bloodborne might be back in some form. The enemies from 5:00 on in the video below behave really passively:
https://youtu.be/4iOe32waruI?t=296

Watched for a few minutes after and it seems like it was just that one encounter with the guy and three dogs that was messed up, unless it gets weird again later.

Anyway, hope that doesn't happen too often.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is that enemy on the right reacting to the kill or is it just perfectly timed step down that makes it look like he's flinching?

n2GrLZV.gif

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just want to make sure I got this right: You lose half your XP when you die a second time and there's no chance to recover said XP right?

Thanks.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I got the wrong impression a while ago. I thought the game had no or extremely light character progression (like, DMC levels), and I'm slightly bummed that it's apparently more than that. I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need the DF analysis / PC Peformance thread on this game something fierce.

Just trying to decide between PC or Xbox1X right now.

Super excited for it

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just checked and they probably added it this morning:

F12n2Ox.png

12.5GB.

Also the icon changed, to what I presumed will be the final version. They added a new dynamic theme for preorders as well, on top of the one we'd already gotten. It's called 'Hirata States', though I haven't had a chance to see it yet.
I've been told that install sizes are heavily compressed, so I wonder what the actual file size for the game is once it's uncompressed and fully installed?

I'm also wondering if the Xbox One X is going to have any sort of additional download for 4K assets and such.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I've been told that install sizes are heavily compressed, so I wonder what the actual file size for the game is once it's uncompressed and fully installed?

I'm also wondering if the Xbox One X is going to have any sort of additional download for 4K assets and such.

Yeah, it's hard to tell at this point. For comparison's sake, this is what the store lists as the download size for other FromSoft games on PS4:

Bloodborne (base game): 27.19GB
DSII: SotfS: 12.98GB
DSIII (base game): 18.2GB
Dark Souls: Remastered: 7.8GB

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, it's hard to tell at this point. For comparison's sake, this is what the store lists as the download size for other FromSoft games on PS4:

Bloodborne (base game): 27.19GB
DSII: SotfS: 12.98GB
DSIII (base game): 18.2GB
Dark Souls: Remastered: 7.8GB
I know we're not supposed to equate a games' compressed file size to it's content, but the small file size for Sekiro does make me concerned about the game's length and it's content when compared with the other games that you mentioned and their file sizes - especially Bloodborne.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have to admit I'm a bit concerned as well. Someone in other thread brought up the fact that Sekiro contains no alternative armor sets and pretty much no alternative weapons, which are usually the most detailed assets in the other games (since you get to look at them really closely and they also have to look nice for you to want to wear them) so that might account for some of it, considering even Bloodborne has a couple dozen sets and weapons. Also Sekiro is closer in file size to DS3 than BB, and I've always had the impression that DS3 is longer than BB.

I'd never pre-orderd a game from PSN before, and I don't know how the process works, and whether the 12.5GB accounts for the final ROM of the game once it's playable, or if it's a partial download so it can be preloaded and then the last 20-30% of the game is downloaded when it unlocks. Who knows.

Supposedly someone translated some of the Famitsu podcast linked in this thread, and it seemingly took one of the people in the podcast 13 hours to beat the final boss. But I wonder it that was misinterpreted and he meant to say that the whole game took him 13 hours to beat, which would be really disheartening. Unless someone in this thread understands Japanese and could confirm either way, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know we're not supposed to equate a games' compressed file size to it's content, but the small file size for Sekiro does make me concerned about the game's length and it's content when compared with the other games that you mentioned and their file sizes - especially Bloodborne.
Bloodborne has not more content compared to Dark Souls 3 (Base game has less locations, less bosses, less weapons and items) yet it's much bigger. I don't know why.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned as well. Someone in other thread brought up the fact that Sekiro contains no alternative armor sets and pretty much no alternative weapons, which are usually the most detailed assets in the other games (since you get to look at them really closely and they also have to look nice for you to want to wear them) so that might account for some of it, considering even Bloodborne has a couple dozen sets and weapons. Also Sekiro is closer in file size to DS3 than BB, and I've always had the impression that DS3 is longer than BB.

I'd never pre-orderd a game from PSN before, and I don't know how the process works, and whether the 12.5GB accounts for the final ROM of the game once it's playable, or if it's a partial download so it can be preloaded and then the last 20-30% of the game is downloaded when it unlocks. Who knows.

Supposedly someone translated some of the Famitsu podcast linked in this thread, and it seemingly took one of the people in the podcast 18 hours to beat the final boss. But I wonder it that was misinterpreted and he meant to say that the whole game took him 18 hours to beat. Unless someone in this thread understands Japanese and could confirm either way, we'll just have to wait and see.
According to Steam it will take 25 gb of space. Exactly the same as Dark Souls 3. And from software has said it multiple times that it will have similar amount of content as dark souls 3 and bloodborne. Even ENB just tweeted saying the same.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Why would this game have less gameplay content than From's previous games? Unless the game was stuck in some dev hell, I can't see what would warrant such a suspicion.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if the game was 'only' 18 hours it would be fine by me. I don't need all games to be 100 hours.

That said, I'm sure is replayable to some capacity with the different endings and sidequests that you are sure to miss on the first time.

Also they mentioned already that the game length would be similar to BB. Don't freak out just with size files.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
''I know file size doesn't mean anything and everyone including Miyazaki,Kitao and Conkey said it would be similar in terms of content/variety but I'm still worried.'' You guys are weird.
Edit: I found the excerpt from the 4Gamer interview with Miyazaki.
  1. 4G: Since Sekiro is a new IP, can we get an idea of how big the game is?
  2. M: I believe the map sizes, number of maps, and number of boss fights are largely the same as previous titles.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I posted this in the other thread but this is from Big M himself in a 4gamer interview.
4G: Since Sekiro is a new IP, can we get an idea of how big the game is?
M: I believe the map sizes, number of maps, and number of boss fights are largely the same as previous titles.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
As far as file size goes, keep in mind that this game doesn't have multiplayer. Surely that would cut it down a little bit.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Asked in another thread but never got an answer, how hard is this supposed to be compared to nioh/soulsbourne?

Pretty challenging and on par with their previous games. Soulsborne vets need to re-learn the control scheme and the way they approach combat. The game is tuned with a resurrection mechanic in mind so take that as you will. I found Nioh to be harder than any souls game, other's didn't.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Asked in another thread but never got an answer, how hard is this supposed to be compared to nioh/soulsbourne?
I said this in another thread a little while ago. From a couple previews I watched of Souls players who got hands-on time with it, they said it might actually be harder. I'd take that with a grain of salt, though. They have yet to really sink their teeth in and get used to not playing it like a Souls game yet, I would think.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

Supposedly someone translated some of the Famitsu podcast linked in this thread, and it seemingly took one of the people in the podcast 13 hours to beat the final boss. But I wonder it that was misinterpreted and he meant to say that the whole game took him 13 hours to beat, which would be really disheartening. Unless someone in this thread understands Japanese and could confirm either way, we'll just have to wait and see.
That's a good point. I wonder if it's just the compressed game in it's entirety, or is it just a portion of it as a preload? Also Sekiro not having tons of weapons and armor sets as well as no multiplayer could also have drastically cut down on the file size as well.
According to Steam it will take 25 gb of space. Exactly the same as Dark Souls 3. And from software has said it multiple times that it will have similar amount of content as dark souls 3 and bloodborne. Even ENB just tweeted saying the same.

Is that after the file is decompressed or is that just because it's the PC version?
From what everyone is saying, it's even harder!