• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The left shot is the grapple icon when you're not close to activating it, and the right is when you're actually on it and you can press the button to grapple.

It's not telling you what's behind the wall lol..
I hear ya. There are parts of the HUD I like but just give me options. Something like God of War was great.

TAA6P6G.jpg

Stuff like this in the image below drives me crazy. That is like straight up wall-hack. If I miss something in there, it should be all on me for not exploring it even if it's a key item.
What video is that from? Because I don't recall seeing an icon like that in the recent event gameplay.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
the fuck? it took him 13 hours to beat the boss?

this game is gonna fuck me sideways

I wonder if this means the normal final boss or an optional, super hard boss? If it's a normal boss that would take me 13 hours, I would have long used cheatengine to cheat my way passed it and have 0 shame about it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Scroll up a bit and you see both a video link with timestamp and an image.
Watched some videos and saw it in Elajjaz's footgage. It seems to mark activated (or most recently activated one?) idols when you aim the camera towards it.

It makes sense though. The levels are no longer the claustrophobic path and smaller areas of Souls or Bloodborne, but much more sprawling both vertically and horizontal. Bonfires and lamps were often at crucial crossroads. But the freedom of movement opens up the level design compared to the past Soulsborne games. You're speeding through levels, racing across rooftops, and so on. Probably harder to form a mental map when the areas are not as restricted

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
There's solid circles for item pickups too if you're close enough. Pretty annoying.

I guess we can say thanks to Activision. -_- You get close to an item and these big circles pop-up from every side to make sure you won't miss anything. I could be wrong, but this would kill the sense of discovery.
Does anyone know if you can turn off these with exception of grappling points?

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Watched some videos and saw it in Elajjaz's footgage. It seems to mark activated (or most recently activated one?) idols when you aim the camera towards it.

It makes sense though. The levels are no longer the claustrophobic path and smaller areas of Souls or Bloodborne, but much more sprawling both vertically and horizontal. Bonfires and lamps were often at crucial crossroads. But the freedom of movement opens up the level design compared to the past Soulsborne games. You're speeding through levels, racing across rooftops, and so on. Probably harder to form a mental map when the areas are not as restricted

Yeah I understand there is a need for it. The discussion was more towards personal taste and that we haven't found any good footage from the previews diving into the HUD settings. If that was even available in the preview build. There are just these minor things that bother me, like this image here, do I really need that white circle there to tell me that's an NPC? I mean common.

MpCI6rm.jpg

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I guess we can say thanks to Activision. -_- You get close to an item and these big circles pop-up from every side to make sure you won't miss anything. I could be wrong, but this would kill the sense of discovery.
I dislike the indicators too but I don't think they're bad enough to kill sense of discovery, they activate when you're like 5-10 meters away so you would've probably seen them anyway without the prompts. Knowing From I don't expect a setting to disable individual elements of hud but it will be moddable for sure.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Dark Souls and Bloodborne had glowing lights over things you could pick up and large UI messages to search body or pick things up. Sekiro's implementation seems sleeker than that

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
You can take FROM for that because they didn't have to add anything they didn't want to.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
You can take FROM for that because they didn't have to add anything they didn't want to.

They certainly have the last word in everything,but if Activision was constantly like : " Our players would like some more hints about the game" ,then they might have pursuaded FROM to give more indicators that might seem unnecessary to the fanbase.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly have the last word in everything,but if Activision was constantly like : " Our players would like some more hints about the game" ,then they might have pursuaded FROM to give more indicators that might seem unnecessary to the fanbase.
There's no need for you guys to look for excuses for FROM.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying Namco would have wanted Dark Souls to appeal to the Dragon Ball and Soul Caliber fanbases simply because Namco publishes those franchises

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I understand there is a need for it. The discussion was more towards personal taste and that we haven't found any good footage from the previews diving into the HUD settings. If that was even available in the preview build. There are just these minor things that bother me, like this image here, do I really need that white circle there to tell me that's an NPC? I mean common.

MpCI6rm.jpg

yeah this isn't really From style

Jul 20, 2018

MpCI6rm.jpg

You might try to kill him otherwise. He barely looks special enough to be an NPC and he's in an area with a whooole lot of enemies. It makes sense to do this if they're planning on mixing NPCs into hostile areas more like this.

I'd prefer the icon not be there in this case, but I understand why it is. Do the NPCs still have these icons in the hub? I haven't noticed.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's been stated numerous times that all development decisions have been made by From Software. Activision is only publishing the game in the west. If the game had poor marketing and distribution, Activision should be criticised as that's within their scope of influence but cherry picking things you don't like about the game and trying to pin the blame on them is reaching.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
You might try to kill him otherwise. He barely looks special enough to be an NPC and he's in an area with a whooole lot of enemies. It makes sense to do this if they're planning on mixing NPCs into hostile areas more like this.

I'd prefer the icon not be there in this case, but I understand why it is. Do the NPCs still have these icons in the hub? I haven't noticed.

My personal issue with this icon is it's not only NPCs it's things that are mentally taught to the player that they don't have to second guess that get this marking. Why do we need it showing up at this game's version of bonfires?If you go through the preview videos you see glowing items that have been in past games as an identifier (like souls or treasure), in typical from fashion also get that symbol. I don't have a problem with it on NPCs due to the structual layout of the game but just putting it on everything seems not really well thought out.

Jul 20, 2018
My personal issue with this icon is it's not only NPCs it's things that are mentally taught to the player that they don't have to second guess that get this marking. Why do we need it showing up at this game's version of bonfires?If you go through the preview videos you see glowing items that have been in past games as an identifier (like souls or treasure), in typical from fashion also get that symbol. I don't have a problem with it on NPCs due to the structual layout of the game but just putting it on everything seems not really well thought out.

Yeah I agree. I hadn't even noticed then ob the idols or items before this conversation started. It seems especially silly on the items. Like what? They're glowing balls floating in the air already lol. I do hope we can turn some of this off.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yup all of them have it even in the hub where you can't attack, near Emma and the sculptor.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Again, given the speed you can race through levels now or just wall-jump over walls and go a different path or hook away to rooftops, rather than trudging down intricate but largely claustrophobic areas, I think it makes sense why they'd want to make certain things more visible at a glance. The speed. mobility, and kind of exploration players can do here aren't really comparable to the Souls games.

You're going to tearing through areas at unrestricted sprint speed or leaping between rooftops or flipping all over the place during different moves.

It's quite different from Soulsbourne where From knew exactly where players could go and the routes they would take and what angles they would approach/see things. Here, you can just hop over a wall or view levels from high vantage points.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it's not a very impressive discount. Is that because of Activision's price choices in the global marketplace?

Cdkeys is also lying to me about the Canadian retail price to inflate the perceived discount. I think I'm just gonna buy this one on Steam directly.
Yeah it's not a good price at all. It's probably because they couldn't get cheap boxed copies.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It's been stated numerous times that all development decisions have been made by From Software. Activision is only publishing the game in the west. If the game had poor marketing and distribution, Activision should be criticised as that's within their scope of influence but cherry picking things you don't like about the game and trying to pin the blame on them is reaching.

they were responsible for player feedback too on playtesting

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Again, given the speed you can race through levels now or just wall-jump over walls and go a different path or hook away to rooftops, rather than trudging down intricate but largely claustrophobic areas, I think it makes sense why they'd want to make certain things more visible at a glance. The speed. mobility, and kind of exploration players can do here aren't really comparable to the Souls games.

You're going to tearing through areas at unrestricted sprint speed or leaping between rooftops or flipping all over the place during different moves.

It's quite different from Soulsbourne where From knew exactly where players could go and the routes they would take and what angles they would approach/see things. Here, you can just hop over a wall or view levels from high vantage points.

No lies detected. Additional quality of life for interactive objects makes sense when considering the expanded horizontal and vertical space of the areas (at least based off preview footage).

Some similar DNA persists in Sekiro but the game is differentiating itself significantly from recent From offerings. As someone who's had a hearty fill of Soulsborne, I'm ready for something different. The lack of stats and co-op, voiced protagonist, Metal Gear Rising-esque emphasis on parrying, and generally more straightforward melee action gameplay that's more reminiscent of something like Ninja Gaiden Black all have me tickled to death.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

makes a lot of sense. hadn't really thought about it this way.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected. Additional quality of life for interactive objects makes sense when considering the expanded horizontal and vertical space of the areas (at least based off preview footage).

Some similar DNA persists in Sekiro but the game is differentiating itself significantly from recent From offerings. As someone who's had a hearty fill of Soulsborne, I'm ready for something different. The lack of stats and co-op, voiced protagonist, Metal Gear Rising-esque emphasis on parrying, and generally more straightforward melee action gameplay that's more reminiscent of something like Ninja Gaiden Black all have me tickled to death.
Feel the same. I'm only a few hours deep into my first Souls game (DS3) and I'm really enjoying more than I thought I would, but something like Sekiro which hews closer to NG Black has ways been my jam.

Jul 20, 2018
I do think some of it is a little unnecessary but it's not a huge deal at all. I might disable some things if I can but if not it won't harm my experience really.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
We don't even know any specifics about the UI settings yet. Maybe they not only added more helpful icons, but also more options to customize the UI than before.

ijed

Mar 2, 2018
You can't make a character at all. It's a set protagonist with a name, voice, background, and story

Would love if DLC added a Ayame type character - she was my fave in Tenchu

Just want to make sure I got this right: You lose half your XP when you die a second time and there's no chance to recover said XP right?

Thanks.

There's an XP bar and once it fills up it unlocks a skill point to spend next time you sit at an idol. I don't think death removes these unspent skill points - only half the XP towards the progression of the next skill point ... is this right?

Last edited: