• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Someone on Reddit translated the text
Wolf

The prince's shinobi, in the prime of life. Cold and reticent, bound by his code, the Wolf does whatever it takes to fulfill his duty, and kills without pity nor mercy. An exceptional ninja.

During this tale, he is defeated by the commander of the Ashina, losing both his young lord and his left arm. Replaced with a prosthetic limb, the Wolf must wager his life to regain what was stolen and protect his master. The shinobi code is absolute, and guides him towards his revenge.

Prince

The sole descendant of an ancient lineage. Alone on this earth, much like his shinobi. The prince was raised as the adopted son of the Ashinas' chief vassal, Lord Hirata. Calm and brave beyond his years, the dignified prince is abducted by the commander of the Ashina for his peculiar bloodline.

The Sculptor (Busshi of the Dilapidated Temple)

An aging man with no left arm. A silent and unsociable hermit. Secluded in a ruined temple deep in the mountains, he continually carves countless statues of the wrathful Buddha. Finds the defeated shinobi, thereafter offering his aid.

Emma

A young healer who appears before the Wolf as he awakens in the dilapidated temple. Aids the Wolf at the behest of her master, but her master's name and intentions remain unclear. Those quiet eyes gaze at the Wolf as if searching for something, and brim with a faint sorrow.

Ashina Genichiro

Genichiro is the grandson of the legendary swordsman Ashina Isshin. Not of legitimate birth, but a commoner. Nevertheless, holds a profound duty towards his clan. In order to defy the decline of the Ashina, he abducts the young prince to make use of his unusual powers. The Ashina are on the brink of extinction. This country must be protected, even if through supernatural means.

Owl

The wandering shinobi Owl is an exceptional warrior, with no master. Picked up the starving Wolf on the battlefield by chance, raising him into a shinobi, beating his own skills into him. However, the one final thing he imparted into Wolf...

The shinobi's iron code is absolute. Never forget that.

Pretty much what was there on the website after the announcement at E3 2018. I think they added Emma, Owl and the name of Genichiro. I remember Vaati talking about most of this stuff in the first video he did about Sekiro after the announcement.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
QAcJ9St.jpg

Game's downloaded and ready for unlock; I've already placed it in a folder among its brethren.
Any reason with BB is splitting DS II and III? Making my OCD twitch. hah

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So here is Fextralife's impressions video. They mention in the beginning of the video that this is a later build than the March 6th one and that some of the item descriptions has changed. Could be an interesting watch.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
How spoilery is the video?

Nothing new that we haven't seen from the preview footage. Very informative though and highlights smaller things that I find interesting. For example:

- Checking random windows can initiate NPC dialogue that rewards you with different items.
- Using "Rest" at an idol re-spawns smaller enemies that will enable you to grind out EXP to learn more skills. Useful if your current strategy isn't working.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't want any specifics spoiled, but I want to ask

Do you get to use any weapons besides your katana's?

Or do you get any kind of different armor/clothes you can switch out?

Or is the arm the only customizable part of your arsenal?

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The Owl's face reminds me of the blacksmith, Andre of Astora.
- Using "Rest" at an idol re-spawns smaller enemies that will enable you to grind out EXP to learn more skills. Useful if your current strategy isn't working.
That's pretty much how Dark Souls was, right? Minor enemies respawn to enable grinding to level up, buy and upgrade weapons? Of course, Sekiro's different in the sense that it has skills.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
So here is Fextralife's impressions video. They mention in the beginning of the video that this is a later build than the March 6th one and that some of the item descriptions has changed. Could be an interesting watch.

Such a great informative video!

- during fights you can't circle around and backstab the enemies like in Souls games. Haha finally!
- the game has very high focus on stealth - as a Tenchu fan it makes me extremely happy! This is the closest game we'll get to Tenchu, unless From decides to make direct sequel in future.

Res

Oct 25, 2017

That's pretty much how Dark Souls was, right? Minor enemies respawn to enable grinding to level up, buy and upgrade weapons? Of course, Sekiro's different in the sense that it has skills.

Seems like this time there is an option on the menu. Definitely a welcome change imo

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Tenchu was one of my most played games on PS1. I remember doing round off flips off of roof tops over and over to style behind enemies before I'd go in for the kill. No Ninja stealth game since then has topped it for me. Also, these guys were something else.

HarmoniousHeavyAlligator.gif
I always laughed at those Manji cultist enemies because they constantly danced and juked around and it looked silly. They were creepy at the same time, however.
I can see the many, many hours I will spend grinding using this tactic already 😂

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
- the game has very high focus on stealth - as a Tenchu fan it makes me extremely happy! This is the closest game we'll get to Tenchu, unless From decides to make direct sequel in future.
It would be awesome if in a DLC, From Software gave us Rikimaru's outfit to wear - or even better, if the talented artists at FS came up with a new black ninja gi for Sekiro to wear.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah pretty much, I think the difference here is that new skills give you more tricks in the bag rather than making Wolf hit harder. If I'm not mistaken things like attack power boosting comes from items in the world and drops from mini-bosses? There might be a skill or two that increases your posture dmg but I'm not sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to assume, that the Xbox One X Version will be the best console version?
Not sure with From Software, their technical track record is a bit wonky.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
yes, please! Even if they don't have plans for dlc, at least Rikimaru skin is a must. I'll pay for that.
I would too! Adding that to a story DLC would be epic, as would being able to use it in NG+ 🤘🏻
Is it safe to assume, that the Xbox One X Version will be the best console version?
Not sure with From Software, their technical track record is a bit wonky.
By the numbers, the XB1X version should run and look better than the PS4 Pro version; but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty much, I think the difference here is that new skills give you more tricks in the bag rather than making Wolf hit harder. If I'm not mistaken things like attack power boosting comes from items in the world and drops from mini-bosses? There might be a skill or two that increases your posture dmg but I'm not sure.
I think you're right. The video you linked to did mention permanent upgrades by using prayer beads (if that's what you mean). I assume this means you get permanent health and attack upgrades, separate from skills like you said.
No, it just means you can choose to rest, which would respawn enemies and also refill your health/gourd. You can upgrade/stock up on stuff without resting if you wish
Oh, I see what you mean now. It's always nice to have options like these that introduce a risk/reward element.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I can't begin to imagine his skill at navigating staircases.
lmao.
I think you're right. The video you linked to did mention permanent upgrades by using prayer beads (if that's what you mean). I assume this means you get permanent health and attack upgrades, separate from skills like you said.
Exactly what I meant.
Damn that footage is crisp. Where did you pull this gif from?
I honestly don't remember, one of the preview videos. It might have been the Eurogamer one.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know if there are any minor stat increases to your character through leveling? Just because we don't have traditional stats doesn't mean there isn't a passive increase to defense per level, as it was in past games.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there are any minor stat increases to your character through leveling? Just because we don't have traditional stats doesn't mean there isn't a passive increase to defense per level, as it was in past games.

You can increase your life bar by collecting items, the potency of your healing items and certain other aspects. It's certainly possible there could be ways to increase other qualities of the protagonist.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

"There are no bad fromsoft games"

as a looooong time fromsoft and armored core player... i wish this was true. It's weird having been a long time FROMSOFT player seeing just how different the opinion of them post dark souls is. Like everyone in the universe exists in this time bubble where dark souls was the first game they ever made.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

as a looooong time fromsoft and armored core player... i wish this was true. It's weird having been a long time FROMSOFT player seeing just how different the opinion of them post dark souls is. Like everyone in the universe exists in this time bubble where dark souls was the first game they ever made.

They pumped out mediocre/garbage games for a long time before they got to where they are today. I don't get how they survived all that. There is a funny Gameinformer interview with one of the higher ups at From and there's a part where he goes "We were kind of know for making these shitty games" I don't remember the name of the video.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I always laughed at those Manji cultist enemies because they constantly danced and juked around and it looked silly. They were creepy at the same time, however.

I can see the many, many hours I will spend grinding using this tactic already 😂

I dont know how people ever needed grinding for Souls games . The only time I grinded was in Demon Souls for hp and mana grass,because it was hard to find when you used them.

But never grinded to level up ever. Always seemed weird to me

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah FROM has way more bad then good games.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can increase your life bar by collecting items, the potency of your healing items and certain other aspects. It's certainly possible there could be ways to increase other qualities of the protagonist.
There isn't really "leveling" in that sense.
So far, we've only seen ways to increase health, posture and attack, but no way to increase defense (it would be in the idol's menu if there was one, I think). This leads me to believe that, as in Souls and BB, defense is passively increased a tiny bit with each level.

The only alternative is that it never increases, and the early-game NPCs deal just as much damage as the late-game ones. That seems very unlikely.

Adding fog walls to prevent progression until a mini-boss is beaten kinda sucks. I loved how open everything seemed in previous demos, with the game really encouraging you to use every possible tactic, including evasion if you wanted to save a tough enemy for later and sneak past them.

Between this and the lame change to the Headless enemy, I hope From doesn't second-guess themselves anymore before next weekend.