• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions!

• GOAT

Votes: 131 8.4%
  • 95-99

Votes: 63 4.0%
  • 90-94 (As good as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2)

Votes: 680 43.4%
  • 85-90 (As good as Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 & Demon's Souls)

Votes: 598 38.2%
  • Below 85

Votes: 94 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Famous last words and all, but I doubt the game will be viewed as notably harder than Souls in the long run. I'm thoroughly convinced that a lot of people just have really bad approaches to open world and non-linear games. They throw themselves at walls rather than exploring wide, reaping the benefits, and pushing against whatever roadblocks seem the weakest relative to your current build.

Maybe some of that is true, but it could very well also legitimately be a more reflex and timing based game, which will make it harder than their previous games. In the Souls games, especially Demon's and the first Dark Souls, you had a lot more viable options on how to approach enemies (some ways were infinitely easier than others), and if you were really struggling, could always opt to just dump stats into the problem.

Seems like From do their best work when it's not a sequel after all.

Dark Souls was an unofficial sequel to Demon's. Really a spiritual successor more than anything, but the two were more related than the games that came after.

no no no, i just subbed to gamefly and want to resist having to play this now...........fuck me, why did it have to score so good and the impressions being off the chart

FROM is to action/adventure games what BioWare used to be to RPGs.

Last edited:

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I hate this gen:
Quality game after a quality game, my backlog is getting bigger and i am not able to keep up with all these awesome games, look at my road map:

2018 (played and beat)
Resident evil 7
Nier automata (platinum)
Persona 5 (platinum)
Street fighter 5
Street fighter collection
Horizon + DLC (platinum)

God of war (currently playing)
Dragon quest xi (pending)
Kingdom hearts 3 (pending)
Residebt evil 2 (pending)
Devil may cry 5 (pending)
Sekiro (pending)

Old backlog
Last guardian
Nioh
Resident evil zero

Fuck!!!!

Don't feel too bad. And you're not playing Spider-Man?!? BLASPHEMY *hisses*

I haven't touched any of those games and they're in my backlog too. I know your pain lol

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the link for the Sekiro page ===> https://opencritic.com/game/6630/sekiro-shadows-die-twice

Here is the link for the FAQ ==> https://opencritic.com/faq

It's the most useful critical aggregate out there, but it's particularly useful for situations like this--where we have 3 separate platforms with a decent amount of reviews on each of those 3 platforms.

You can keep pushing this opencritic thing, but its influence hardly extends outside the echo chamber that is resetera.
And have you actually looked at the same games on both aggregate platforms? They literally always net out or are +-1.

Sekiro will end up having damn near 70 reviews on meta when its all said and done and the average will be nearly identical as opencritic. Your disdain for one and love for another due to such innocuous reasoning as platform splits when the averages by and large net out the same is hilarious. Are you funding the page or have some type of financial equity in it?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
You can keep pushing this opencritic thing, but its influence hardly extends outside the echo chamber that is resetera.
And have you actually looked at the same games on both aggregate platforms? They literally always net out or are +-1.

Sekiro will end up having damn near 70 reviews on meta when its all said and done and the average will be nearly identical as opencritic. Your disdain for one and love for another due to such innocuous reasoning as platform splits when the averages by and large net out the same is hilarious. Are you funding the page or have some type of financial equity in it?

I wish; I just want to make sure everyone has all information available to them such that everything is accurate. And it's not a disdain, it's a desire for transparency.

It will be curious to see who reviews on what platform, as the performance issues on console may (and should) rear their head on the console-specific reviews.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It's 92 on OpenCritic. Meta suffers the usual "which platform is which" and weird weighting.

Open has been, for a while now, the superior aggregate service.
Open Critic is calculating the aggregate based on provisional and in-progress scores (Telegraph, Gamespot). MC will likely go up once they are finalized.

The platform split will keep it from reaching 92 on the most reviewed platform though.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Open Critic is calculating the aggregate based on provisional and in-progress scores (Telegraph, Gamespot). MC will likely go up once they are finalized.

The platform split will keep it from reaching 92 on the most reviewed platform though.

Yup, which is something that I think is a bit of a negative tbh.

Dec 6, 2017
US

I knew it had giant roosters but bugs? Damn From, shit is getting wild...

Tom-Cruise-sunglasses_l.png

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cant believe how many people are having to learn you cant play this like souls despite the fact that every single thing about this game and its press has been "this is not souls". I imagine this is where a lot of the frustration and difficulty is coming from. Please do yourselves a favor and dont approach this like its dark souls.

Apr 24, 2018
What a fucking year. Only March.

Good lord.
Yep. I've accepted that I'll barely get through the games that I've wanted to play since last Fall this year.
In a Souls way. But remember that this game does not play like Souls. Ive seen it compared to Ninja Gaiden Black on Very Hard.
Uh-oh. There's only two games that I've played in recent memory where I readily accepted after a short time playing that I'd never be able to beat (even if I wanted to): Super Meat Boy...and Ninja Gaiden Black.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm excited but I'm also annoyed that they can't seem to get a grip on the framerate or microstutters on console. DS3 felt like shit on the Pro with that 30-50 FPS. All the issues I had with Nioh the game ran great tecnhnically with lots of options.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
What I've learned from this thread is I hope From never uses a similar title in any game they make ever again, so people have to desperately keep adding to Soulsborne to make an encapsulating genre term.

Also yay for Sekiro reviewing well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No longer people will crutch their way with summoning signs.
This is tough cookie land now.

Namikaze

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna skip this one but might take another look. It does look fun at least, though talk of major bugs is concerning..

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Do we know how long the game is? And please no Bloodborne or Dark Souls hours, I've never played those to know how long they are.

IGN said 50 hours which sounds way too long.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't read all the thread, do we know how long is the game for a first playthrough? I expect 15-20 hours