• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions!

• GOAT

Votes: 131 8.4%
  • 95-99

Votes: 63 4.0%
  • 90-94 (As good as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2)

Votes: 680 43.4%
  • 85-90 (As good as Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 & Demon's Souls)

Votes: 598 38.2%
  • Below 85

Votes: 94 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro is less frustrating. There are no hidden enemies, no traps, there's a checkpoint at every corner, you don't lose everything when dying, you can resurrect yourself, you don't die when falling, you can sneak your way through, strong attacks are announced by a danger sign, etc.

But the actual combat is much harder in my opinion.

Ahhh, I was hoping for the hidden enemies or traps just because I love how they are thrown into the level design. How is the overall level design/world in comparison to Soulsborne games?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is less frustrating. There are no hidden enemies, no traps, there's a checkpoint at every corner, you don't lose everything when dying, you can resurrect yourself, you don't die when falling, you can sneak your way through, strong attacks are announced by a danger sign, etc.

Don't forget you can actually pause the game and shuffle through your consumables.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm seriously contemplating buying this on PC just so I can fall back on cheats if the going gets too tough.

I really need more Tenchu in my life.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
There are more than 12.

I can count at least 5 mini-bosses that are named and unique that could easily be bosses in their own right - the only difference being one less Shinobi Deathblow icon [2 instead of 3].

The Whatculture review says:

"From Software's games always have had incredible bosses - memorable designs, telegraphed moves that are satisfying to learn how to counter and often each being vastly different to those who came before them. Sekiro cranks this up, one step further. The line between boss and mini-boss is blurred, as every named enemy easily brings enough challenge and diversity to be classed as it's own boss. They each have unique designs and each have a secret, unique tool or technique that can help to bring them down. Every boss in Sekiro is a joy to fight and learn their moves and defeating them is pure euphoria."

So, over 30 bosses Then 🤘🏻

Kuroknight27

Feb 20, 2018

This has me thinking of actually getting this sooner than later. Those were some of the things I was worried about. I enjoyed Bloodborne, but wasn't sure I could deal with going through the death cycle of losing everything, and starting back at a lamp/ bonfire right now.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This has me thinking of actually getting this sooner than later. Those were some of the things I was worried about. I enjoyed Bloodborne, but wasn't sure I could deal with going through the death cycle of losing everything, and starting back at a lamp/ bonfire right now.

That's... not exactly true.

The poster you quoted have some mistake- you do have an ability that revives you on the spot but it's quite limited and if you die for real you do get sent back to the last safe point.

Also you technically don't lose everything when you die.... you lose half of your experience and money when you die, there is a chance this doesn't happen but it's a percentage of an RNG. You only lose the experience and not the skill points it generates when you fill the bar so that's something.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gonna be the goat from software game. To get this kind of score in 2019 is amazing. Move over Bloodborne and DS the new GOAT is here.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Has there been a 10/10 from any major publication yet? Not kept up with the latest. Are we waiting on a lot of in progress reviews?

As far as I know there hasn't been a 10/10,but neither a rating below 8/10,which is equally interesting. I guess we are waiting at least 50-60 reviews in total over the next weeks,since some sites never got a review code and will play it like everyone else at launch

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Can someone link the least spoilery readable review please?

On the fence, and want to jump in as blind as possible.

Or just straight up recommend me why i should by it, without spoilers. Is worldbuilding and combat in the same league as Bloodborne?

Edit: Fek it, bought it during lunch break

Last edited:

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
89 is still a good score. Game was always going to be divisive. You have high praise and 10s on one side and 0s on the other. What a contrast.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they meant there are 12 bosses that
give you memories to upgrade your Attack Power

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Straight 9's is actually crazy good, how often do you see that? There's always a 7 or 8 in between usually

I do wish some reviewers would mention the different technical issues with all versions of the game though

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
If course you lose stuff when you die. And of course you can die when falling. What are you talking about lol.

I said: You don't lose _everything_ when dying. You keep your skill points and only lose half the skill xp to the next skill point and half the money. With a 30% chance to not lose anything.

And you lose health when falling but you respawn at the same point when you have enough health.

Ahhh, I was hoping for the hidden enemies or traps just because I love how they are thrown into the level design. How is the overall level design/world in comparison to Soulsborne games?

it's as great but a bit different. Soulsborne leveldesign is extremely compact. Sekiro is very open in comparison but you have the great shortcuts, an interconnected world as in Dark Souls (1) and many secret areas and other secrets. It wants you even more to explore, to listen to dialogues to uncover some hidden treasures. And if a boss is too hard, just check out another path. Right now I have three bosses to beat (two mandatory and a great optional one) and I found a way to another area with another major boss probably.

What the hell?! I'm playing this game then. I'm playing it. You got me intrigued.

And you can actually pause in Sekiro right? Please tell me you can pause.

I cannot stand Souls games. But everything you typed has me really excited.

Without pausing after a hard boss fight just to calm down, I'd get a heart attack, I think. Haha, yes, you can pause.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
LOL ERA sometimes you act like... never mind, it's not worth it.

It is, looking at the reviews themselves that I have read on MC. You don't have a majority of 8s and 9s. You have lots of 10s and lots of 0s and 3s and 4s. Those are two separate camps. That's where the skew is coming from.
People who love it, love it. And those who hate it, hate. That's the point I was making. On one side you have extremely high praise for the game and on the other people who just downright hate. I have not seen "average scores" or people saying it is a mediocre just OK game. I am only seeing one of two extremes - perfection and imperfection.

Imagine 5 reviews - (8+10+9+8+9 ) / 5 => 8.8

Contrast that with - (10+10+10+0+0) / 5 => 6 - remember even a score of 0 is still a review.

It's not that Sekiro is a just ok game by the majority consensus, it is just that the high praise for it is being diluted by the negative reviews and that was the point. That's what I meant.

So yes, sekiro is scoring high, but the individual reviews themselves tell of the divisive nature of the game - you either love it or completely hate it. More people simply love it. How is that so difficult to infer from my post?

But I am not American, English is my third language. Maybe what I meant and what was understood are you know, divisive.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LOL ERA sometimes you act like... never mind, it's not worth it.

It is, looking at the reviews themselves that I have read on MC. You don't have a majority of 8s and 9s. You have lots of 10s and lots of 0s and 3s and 4s. Those are two separate camps. That's where the skew is coming from.
People who love it, love it. And those who hate it, hate. That's the point I was making. On one side you have extremely high praise for the game and on the other people who just downright hate. I have not seen "average scores" or people saying it is a mediocre just OK game. I am only seeing one of two extremes - perfection and imperfection.

Imagine 5 reviews - (8+10+9+8+9 ) / 5 => 8.8

Contrast that with - (10+10+10+0+0) / 5 => 6 - remember even a score of 0 is still a review.

It's not that Sekiro is a just ok game by the majority consensus, it is just that the high praise for it is being diluted by the negative reviews and that was the point. That's what I meant.

So yes, sekiro is scoring high, but the individual reviews themselves tell of the divisive nature of the game - you either love it or completely hate it. More people simply love it. How is that so difficult to infer from my post?

But I am not American, English is my third language. Maybe what I meant and what was understood are you know, divisive.
Can you give me 5 professional reviews that scored 0/10????? Wait no, are you taking user reviews from metacritic seriously????

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
What's wrong with MC user reviews?
Review bombing is a thing. Motivated by platform fanboyism or franchise allegiances and outrages for one reason or the other. It's not a good indicator for quality of the product. You also mentioned the 89 score so it wasn't clear that the divisiveness is actually coming from user reviews.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I see. Makes me wonder why user reviews exist if the psychology and motivations of the users is unpredictable.
I would like to discuss this further as my eyes are opening slowly.
- why are critics immune to the aforementioned unpredictability?
- how can you spot a genuine user review?
- if 4 critics love or hate a game, is that the final say on the game's quality?
- do reviews count even after years, does MC have a reviewing period? What happens if professional critic reviews Ocarina of Time today?
so many questions.

Anyway, this is a Sekiro thread which I have bought on PS4 and will be playing and enjoying because it is my kind of game. I hope you all find enjoyment in your own way. I wish not to derail the intended purpose of the thread.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
89 is still a good score. Game was always going to be divisive. You have high praise and 10s on one side and 0s on the other. What a contrast.
I see. Makes me wonder why user reviews exist if the psychology and motivations of the users is unpredictable.
I would like to discuss this further as my eyes are opening slowly.
- why are critics immune to the aforementioned unpredictability?
- how can you spot a genuine user review?
- if 4 critics love or hate a game, is that the final say on the game's quality?
- do reviews count even after years, does MC have a reviewing period? What happens if professional critic reviews Ocarina of Time today?
so many questions.

Anyway, this is a Sekiro thread which I have bought on PS4 and will be playing and enjoying because it is my kind of game. I hope you all find enjoyment in your own way. I wish not to derail the intended purpose of the thread.

Well first step is to identify that the game literally just came out today so how can someone leave an informed review, especially one that rates the game at a zero?

Anyway just read the content of the review and don't take the scores too seriously.

Kuroknight27

Feb 20, 2018
That's... not exactly true.

The poster you quoted have some mistake- you do have an ability that revives you on the spot but it's quite limited and if you die for real you do get sent back to the last safe point.

Also you technically don't lose everything when you die.... you lose half of your experience and money when you die, there is a chance this doesn't happen but it's a percentage of an RNG. You only lose the experience and not the skill points it generates when you fill the bar so that's something.
Are the safe points far apart like bonfires/lamps?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Gamersky (PS4) = 97/100
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice perfectly shows the solemn atmosphere of samurai fighting. It's much more difficult than any of the souls series games and offers a great challenge for your gaming ability.

LevelUp (Xbox One) = 97/100
Without fear of being wrong I can say that Sekiro is not only one of the best titles of this generation, but it is one of the best we have seen in many years and will be remembered as one of the great jewels of the decade.

Both will be added to Metacritic.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Might be common knowledge at this point, but if anyone's still strugglebusing in the ogre fight: NEVER dodge when you can jump instead. Jump works a million times better than dodging. It dramatically reduces being grabbed or hit so much you can get comfortable and style on him sometimes. Once you deal the first killstrike of two, grapple onto a roof or tree and unload all your shuriken into him. You'll damage him almost as much as earlier when he was breaking out of his restraints. Have some pellets ready going in and don't resurrect until the second phase of the fight. And be sure to prioritize defense over offense. Jumping before attacking when possible. Usually one strike is best, sometimes two, and when he's staggered a bit three but no more unless you want to risk it. It didn't occur to me until after defeating him but it might be possible to upgrade your health gourd too. If not, shouldn't be a big deal to get through it without it.