• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Some folk gonna have trouble with parry being so important after struggling with it in Bloodborne.

Better tighten up them skills before Sekiro launches.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

latest

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom seems to be taking their character designs in a different direction. Looks like it started with Chris in Resident Evil 7

Not just Chris, they started scanning people and stuff in general with RE7.

And it's not something new for Capcom either, they used real people for the leads in Onimusha and Lost Planet as well.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
From what we've been seeing and hearing about the gameplay the parry sounds less like the ones we've seen in the Souls games and more akin to the much more active and frentic parry anywhere style of Metal Gear RIsing. From the sounds of the chain parrying it even sounds a bit like Bujingai, the character action game starring Gackt from the PS2.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my summary of Sekiro gameplay from PSX South East Asia 2018.

It's 12 minutes gameplay demonstration without HUD, photo or video recording aren't allowed.
*The order of sequence might be a little off, I didn't have time to take a note so this is all from my memory.
*I don't know the protagonist's name yet, so I'll just call him Sekiro.

• The video began with Sekiro standing on tree branch then he jumps and uses the grappling hook to reach the rooftop from afar.
  • He spots the enemy on the ground and uses a special attack to assassinate it. (same attack from twitter 5 secs preview)
  • When he's in the small building, there's old creepy woman walk slowly toward him, he hides near the door then uses assassination move, She's dead in one-shot.
  • Then we saw he switches between his trick arms, seem like you can equip more than 2 at once.
  • He uses the ax to break enemy with a wooden shield, it's the heavy vertical chop (same attack from E3 trailer) but then we saw he swings the ax horizontally 3 times before chop. So trick arms aren't just one special attack, they have their own movesets.
  • At the courtyard, there are plenty of enemies. Among them is one giant, who seem to be captured? (his head and hands are locked in wooden pillory) Suddenly, one small enemy on the wall spots Sekiro and rings the bell to warns others. Sekiro kills it off by throwing shuriken (or kunai, I'm not sure), but it's too late, other enemies rush at him.
  • The clashing sword is really the main theme here, You has to parry opponents attacks back to back. The flow is much faster than Souls.
  • Player struggles to keep Sekiro alive then the giant breaks free and join the fight. It hits hard, only two heavy attacks and Sekiro is dead. Big red kanji appears on the screen.
  • Enemies are walking away, the player uses resurrection and sneaks behind enemies
  • Sekiro stabs foot soldiers in the neck, they die instantly but the giant endures the attack. Sekiro uses something that emits red/purple cloud, the giant can't see for the moment. Sekiro attacks again and the giant's on fire, same as Sekiro's sword. He finishes the fight with brutal execution kill.
  • There's a lot of blood during the fight but it's brighter than Bloodborne's blood effect.
  • He can parry mid-air.
  • I assume small orange kanji when the enemy uses special attack means that attack can't be parry by the sword, he can use the trick arm to counter it though. (The animation is pretty cool, locking enemy weapon with the arm then counter it.)
  • In the next area, a big wooden bridge is broken so he jumps to a faraway tree branch and drops to the lower floor.
  • It's a big leap which would hurt you badly in previous souls games, but seem like Sekiro take no damage at all.
  • In the snowy valley, the enormous albino snake appears. We saw only the head but we can tell it's so huge. Sekiro hides in the bush, waiting for it to turns away.
  • There's red aura around the screen when the snake is suspicious.
  • When the snake looks somewhere else Sekiro rushes to the cave nearby, but It notices. It hisses and attacks immediately (this is quite a jump scare, a lady near me jumped so hard), but the cave is too small, the snake can't get it so it retreats.
  • There's a secret door on the cave wall. It has a white human sign on it (looks like it was written with chalk), he pushes it then it leads him to the new route.
  • Sekiro walks toward to red bridge then Corrupted monk jumps down and boss fight begins.
  • The scenery is beautiful with maple trees, those leaves on the floor float and move along your movement.
  • There's a fog door at the entrance when the boss appears.
  • After relentless parrying, the boss kneels and Sekiro executes riposte. The music changes when the boss begins phase 2, the surrounding is getting blurry, all color disappears you can see only in black and white. The monk warp here and there, strikes Sekiro from the blurry cloud, then he died and the demo ends.
Small tidbits
  • You restore health by drinking from a calabash, a green kanji appears when you drink.
  • I can see why they don't release this footage for the public. There are screen tearing and frame rate dipping all over the place. It doesn't look polished at all. I'm quite certain that this is an old E3 build.
I recorded the audio, but the quality is REALLY bad (lol I'm sorry I tried). If you interested, you can download it here.

Some explanations~
0:00-1:00 - He jumps around those trees and rooftop.
1:00-1:15 - Encounter enemy, parry&riposte
2:00 onwards - more enemies
3:08 - Trick arms swapping
4:27 - An enemy alerts the other
4:44 - Giant fight
5:25 - Dead and resurrection
7:40 - Giant snake
9:03 - Boss fight
11:00 onwards - Phase 2

That's it! I hope this info is helpful for some of you guys until they release direct footage at Gamescom.

p.s. They let us have this nice collectible card after watching the footage. If you go there don't forget to ask for it.
XV3ZjRz.jpg
Those sword clashes, nice

Great write-up. i like the sound of that boss music.

Yeah, the boss music sounds quite nice. I'm curious who's composing this time around. Glad to see the music changes when the next phase hits, like ds3 and bb. Also looks like there will be ambient music as well

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Hopefully the mechanic is more akin to BB than DS. I never could master it in DS3, unlike in BB, and the experience was diminished by it.
It's probably safe to assume they will refine the technique so it comes much more naturally than in past games. They'll want you to get comfortable with it, and they'll design the game around you learning to use it so it comes to you like second nature I'm sure. It'll be just as important to learn as jumping and attacking.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Cant help but think of Nioh whenever i see or hear of this game, The parrying in Nioh was tricky but well worth it when you pulled it off.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It's probably safe to assume they will refine the technique so it comes much more naturally than in past games. They'll want you to get comfortable with it, and they'll design the game around you learning to use it so it comes to you like second nature I'm sure. It'll be just as important to learn as jumping and attacking.
I've seen it described as a "perfect block" which would be more akin to BB timing.

Hopefully so. Although, DS3 came after BB, and its parry mechanic never felt as intuitive as BB's.

Oct 26, 2017
So here's my summary of Sekiro gameplay from PSX South East Asia 2018.

It's 12 minutes gameplay demonstration without HUD, photo or video recording aren't allowed.
*The order of sequence might be a little off, I didn't have time to take a note so this is all from my memory.
*I don't know the protagonist's name yet, so I'll just call him Sekiro.

• The video began with Sekiro standing on tree branch then he jumps and uses the grappling hook to reach the rooftop from afar.
  • He spots the enemy on the ground and uses a special attack to assassinate it. (same attack from twitter 5 secs preview)
  • When he's in the small building, there's old creepy woman walk slowly toward him, he hides near the door then uses assassination move, She's dead in one-shot.
  • Then we saw he switches between his trick arms, seem like you can equip more than 2 at once.
  • He uses the ax to break enemy with a wooden shield, it's the heavy vertical chop (same attack from E3 trailer) but then we saw he swings the ax horizontally 3 times before chop. So trick arms aren't just one special attack, they have their own movesets.
  • At the courtyard, there are plenty of enemies. Among them is one giant, who seem to be captured? (his head and hands are locked in wooden pillory) Suddenly, one small enemy on the wall spots Sekiro and rings the bell to warns others. Sekiro kills it off by throwing shuriken (or kunai, I'm not sure), but it's too late, other enemies rush at him.
  • The clashing sword is really the main theme here, You has to parry opponents attacks back to back. The flow is much faster than Souls.
  • Player struggles to keep Sekiro alive then the giant breaks free and join the fight. It hits hard, only two heavy attacks and Sekiro is dead. Big red kanji appears on the screen.
  • Enemies are walking away, the player uses resurrection and sneaks behind enemies
  • Sekiro stabs foot soldiers in the neck, they die instantly but the giant endures the attack. Sekiro uses something that emits red/purple cloud, the giant can't see for the moment. Sekiro attacks again and the giant's on fire, same as Sekiro's sword. He finishes the fight with brutal execution kill.
  • There's a lot of blood during the fight but it's brighter than Bloodborne's blood effect.
  • He can parry mid-air.
  • I assume small orange kanji when the enemy uses special attack means that attack can't be parry by the sword, he can use the trick arm to counter it though. (The animation is pretty cool, locking enemy weapon with the arm then counter it.)
  • In the next area, a big wooden bridge is broken so he jumps to a faraway tree branch and drops to the lower floor.
  • It's a big leap which would hurt you badly in previous souls games, but seem like Sekiro take no damage at all.
  • In the snowy valley, the enormous albino snake appears. We saw only the head but we can tell it's so huge. Sekiro hides in the bush, waiting for it to turns away.
  • There's red aura around the screen when the snake is suspicious.
  • When the snake looks somewhere else Sekiro rushes to the cave nearby, but It notices. It hisses and attacks immediately (this is quite a jump scare, a lady near me jumped so hard), but the cave is too small, the snake can't get it so it retreats.
  • There's a secret door on the cave wall. It has a white human sign on it (looks like it was written with chalk), he pushes it then it leads him to the new route.
  • Sekiro walks toward to red bridge then Corrupted monk jumps down and boss fight begins.
  • The scenery is beautiful with maple trees, those leaves on the floor float and move along your movement.
  • There's a fog door at the entrance when the boss appears.
  • After relentless parrying, the boss kneels and Sekiro executes riposte. The music changes when the boss begins phase 2, the surrounding is getting blurry, all color disappears you can see only in black and white. The monk warp here and there, strikes Sekiro from the blurry cloud, then he died and the demo ends.
Small tidbits
  • You restore health by drinking from a calabash, a green kanji appears when you drink.
  • I can see why they don't release this footage for the public. There are screen tearing and frame rate dipping all over the place. It doesn't look polished at all. I'm quite certain that this is an old E3 build.
I recorded the audio, but the quality is REALLY bad (lol I'm sorry I tried). If you interested, you can download it here.

Some explanations~
0:00-1:00 - He jumps around those trees and rooftop.
1:00-1:15 - Encounter enemy, parry&riposte
2:00 onwards - more enemies
3:08 - Trick arms swapping
4:27 - An enemy alerts the other
4:44 - Giant fight
5:25 - Dead and resurrection
7:40 - Giant snake
9:03 - Boss fight
11:00 onwards - Phase 2

That's it! I hope this info is helpful for some of you guys until they release direct footage at Gamescom.

p.s. They let us have this nice collectible card after watching the footage. If you go there don't forget to ask for it.
XV3ZjRz.jpg

Saw you posted this on reddit, appreciate you posting it on here as well.

Those sword clashes are getting me so hype. And ambient soundtrack huh. That alone will make the atmosphere feel so different from Souls.