• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I am starting to get really annoyed with this shit. Not just two images but five? And the border of a sign spills over into a square and in some situations it needs to be selected and not in others?

vuOr7g5.png

The "select all cars" and "select all roads" shit isn't much better either. Every subsequent image seems to load slower than images on a 56.6 kbps modem.

Why do I feel this method has moved away from a system to stop bots to a system to get free neural net training sets from us users.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorites are the ones that ask you for something like cars and then the picture is blurry enough that you can't tell if that red blob in the corner is a car or just a tomato.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I never see those since I started using no cookies, tracking, cache, ads, and Ad Naseum all combined.

For the record, selecting just those 3 should let you pass. You don't have to get them all perfectly. That's what makes us human.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I get those and ones with vehicles. It's easy and I don't mind it, outside of how you get more than one image which slows you down.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The worst ones are actually the ones that don't have a submit button and keep popping up images until you select all the right ones.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Congratulations! By participating in the captcha you are actually training the AI that will be in your self driving car one day

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
the playstation app makes you do it like fuckin 10 times in a row

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
and here I am getting them right on the first try

am I some kind of genius?

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations! By participating in the captcha you are actually training the AI that will be in your self driving car one day

That is Google's reCaptcha. Used to train Google AI or something.

https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/13/captcha-prove-not-a-robot-internet

The worst is when there are multiple pages and it fucking fails to verify in the end.

No way, they use that for AI. Clever idea.

I realise that (like I mentioned in the OP). But doing that runs contrary to the job of a captcha being efficient (i.e. screening out bots but allowing humans with the minimum of roadblocks for humans). If they paid people on Mechanical Turk or something to do the same job of classifying images, it would cost them a lot. How incentivised are they to show 3 images instead of 5 if both are equally efficient in stopping bots?

Glenn Coco

Nov 29, 2017
Ugh I hate the "Select the bridge" one that is currently being used right now. Worse is when the whole image is on the bridge itself.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to the day that I see somewhere I recognize in one of these captchas, with the amount of these I fill out it must be coming up eventually

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Quite often as long as you select any 3 squares it will let you pass. Same goes for text captcha which sometimes will let you pass if you just have the right number of characters. Fuck your ai.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
What I don't get is, if I've given you the correct fucking username and password, and its not exactly a short password, why the fuck am I doing this?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
...how often are y'all getting these things? Like, I get checkbox captchas on occasion, but I only have to identify a street sign or whatever about once a month, tops.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the mechanism to prevent bots is actually being used to teach bots. That seems like a bad idea...

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
So the mechanism to prevent bots is actually being used to teach bots. That seems like a bad idea...
It's used for teaching ai autonomous driving though. Not for bots to figure out recaptchas.

Most of the time it's basically just a double check mechanism. If you pick the wrong tiles you won't get it solved. So the image recognition is already good, it's just double checking with humans.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The worse is where you have to select a hill. I'm not sure if a road on a 3% angle is considered as one or not.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not religious, but I'm pretty Captcha were made by Satan himself.