• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
LuBVBzI.png

※ Does not include sell-through in some regions, including Asia and Latin America.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180201_2e.pdf

Attach-ratio (sell-through software/hardware)

Odyssey 57.6%
MK8D 50%
BotW 46.1%
Splatoon 2 34.6%

Keep in mind that both software and hardeware sell-through are rounded down.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1.5 million on Wii U for BotW is really good when some obviously now very ill-informed people were calling for that version to be cancelled.

Also surprisingly higher attach rate than I'd have thought for Splatoon 2. Thought it'd be closer to 25%.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Oh man, these are crazy numbers. And that's all within the first year! I wish Nintendo could keep up with the Switch demands.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
1.5 million on Wii U for BotW is really good when some obviously now very ill-informed people were calling for that version to be cancelled.

Also surprisingly higher attach rate than I'd have thought for Splatoon 2. Thought it'd be closer to 25%.
Japan really boosts it, I think they said 60%+ for japan (corroborating what we see in MC threads). If we use that and 25% of hardware sell-through for Japan, then the attach rate in the rest of the world is 26%, still a great numbers, of course.

Calculation:
0.346 = 0.75*A + 0.25*0.6 (A -> attach rate regions outside Japan)
A = (1/0/75) * (0.346 - 0.25*0.6) = 0.26

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Japan really boosts it, I think they said 60%+ for japan (corroborating what we see in MC threads). If we use that and 25% of hardware sell-through for Japan, then the attach rate in the rest of the world is 26%, still a great numbers, of course.

Calculation:
0.346 = 0.75*A + 0.25*0.6 A -> attach rate regions outside Japan

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the maths there. It's fascinating how attractive Splatoon has been to its strongest market and how that has really boosted its effect overall.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Uh 7.5M is quite a bit lower than 9 though. (Though I guess saying more than implies their numbers are not that accurate)

"More thant" probably implies that it's between 7.5 and 8 millions. Same for every other game.

Calculation:
0.346 = 0.75*A + 0.25*0.6 A -> attach rate regions outside Japan

In absolute terms is 2 millions in Japan and 2.5 millions in the US/EU/RotW. Still very impressive for such a peculiar game.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon be like:
CbZSyId.jpg

Also the printing money gif:
7f5.gif

Funny stuff aside this is great news to see all those games do insanely well, Splatoon is gonna outsell it's first entry within a year easily and can reach 3m+ in japan alone.
It's insane Nintendo out out a Monster Hunter tier franchise sales wise and a shooter like game of all things :P

Also Mario and Zelda doing so well is pretty good hopefully the next sandbox like mario does not take 15 years now altho the galaxy games sure eased the pain! :P

Also dat polygon mario kart chart is now even more hilarious.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, the sell-through numbers exclude Asia, Latin America and other regions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Funny stuff aside this is great news to see all those games do insanely well, Splatoon is gonna outsell it's first entry within a year easily and can reach 3m+ in japan alone.
It's insane Nintendo out out a Monster Hunter tier franchise sales wise and a shooter like game of all things :P

Also Mario and Zelda doing so well is pretty good hopefully the next sandbox like mario does not take 15 years now altho the galaxy games sure eased the pain! :P

Also dat polygon mario kart chart is now even more hilarious.

Splatoon 2 already outsold Splatoon 1, it took it just 5 months. It's in the OP image.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm 99% sure it's physical + digital

December 31st.

you sure? i'm looking at the switch sale through, and the report say's The number now exceeds 13 million, i would think sales for the games should be up to date as well, it's also called Nine Months Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2018, so it shouldn't be limited to December 31.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
you sure? i'm looking at the switch sale through, and he The number now exceeds 13 million, i would think sales for the games should be to date as well, it's also called Nine Months Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2018, not so it shouldn't be limited to December 31.

Nine months into the fiscal year is December 31st. All the numbers and data presented those days are updated to December 31st.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Great numbers. The most important takeaway for me here is that in the future, when calculating how much BOTW has sold, people should stop using the old 1.08 million number for the WiiU and use 1.5 million instead.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised BOTW sales slowed down so much.

From what I've played, Mario is a lot better but Zelda had a 100+% attach rate iirc.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nine months into the fiscal year is December 31st. All the numbers and data presented those days are updated to December 31st.

I'm not so sure about that. In there Q2 briefing they gave numbers for mario, and sold through switch numbers that were for Q3. basically the numbers were outside of Six Months Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2018, but were still reported.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-31-super-mario-odyssey-hits-2-million-sales

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

Last edited:

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does not include Asia and LA? I bet those 1.5M SMO missing sales are on those regions. Everyone in Brazil owns SMO.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. In there Q2 briefing they gave numbers for mario, and sold through switch numbers that were for Q3. basically the numbers were outside of Six Months Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2018, but were still reported.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-31-super-mario-odyssey-hits-2-million-sales

First let me talk about last year's holiday season. At last year's financial results briefing in October, I noted that the big challenge for Nintendo Switch in its first holiday season was to gain the support of a wide range of consumers. I also noted that we would expand production in order to supply the product in stable quantities for the holiday season.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own all of those and I'm not surprised people bought them. They're fucking amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Mario was the exception because it released 2-3 days before the report came out and they wanted to get a PR out. Even the Switch numbers in the following paragraph are Q2 numbers and not updated to october. Those are financial reports and strictly regulated by the law.

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
First let me talk about last year's holiday season. At last year's financial results briefing in October, I noted that the big challenge for Nintendo Switch in its first holiday season was to gain the support of a wide range of consumers. I also noted that we would expand production in order to supply the product in stable quantities for the holiday season.

obviously the big story is the holiday season, but there not a single reason to limit sold through numbers till December 31, when they can use the most recent up date numbers, and didn't do it for the last briefing.

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
7.5 million for Odyssey would already be nuts if we are talking about shipments, but SOLD.
Fuck. That's an insane launch.

Splatoon at ~4.5 million is better than expect considering shipments are only 4.9 million, looks like it may be a bit undershipped.

Should surpass Breath of the wild in a year or two.