• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read that PDF. Looks like someone just decided to make a powerpoint of their wet dreams for PS5. Based on the content of the slides, who are we supposed to believe this designed for?

SSDs has the nice property that speed (seek and bandwith) will be the same for all installed games independently of install order.

1 TB is small and thus believable, a faker would have put a bigger drive...

1 TB is small and believable when we're talking about regular drives. 1 TB SSD's are still pretty damn expensive. Most of it is markup, but laptop manufacturers still charge premiums of $100-$300 for the jump between a 256Gb SSD to a 512Gb one. No way in heck that Sony eats the cost and avoids market pricing for that kind of storage.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
And the doc says that all games that start production after 1 April are PS5 exclusives. April Joke confirmed.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The doc is fake, me and ASleepingMonkey notice the mistake before the doc was in the public and told him. All of sudden these mistake are now fixed in the new doc lol.
wait did it somehow manage to circle back here in the same thread? lmao

Me, Schreier, AAMARMO, DigitalFoundry, and even the writer of the Semi-Accurate piece once I reached out to him to see if any of the info in it had any legitimacy can all verify that the document is F A K E.

This is why I didn't post any screenshots of the document, was worried it would start circulating. Sure enough it has now that someone dropped them.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
We all this matrix names and the tech knowledge of some of you guys we could make a really believable leak :P

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing about these mysteries all the time, but I never can get it.

I mean it's been explain hundreds of times by devs and publishers and other forum members and people on twitter ad infinitum.

Like, you seem to think that game development is this chunk process where everyone works on their chunk at once and then boom game. That's not how it works.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yup, are they going to be called PS5 or PS4 something something. Semiaccurate doesn't know either. Semiaccurate: " So now it is time for the Playstation 5/Next or whatever Sony ends up calling it." PS4 compatibility confirmed, IF at 7nm possibly 40%+ more powerful at the same TDP of the Pro = 8TF+ probably close to 10TF

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Fudzilla is reporting that AMD's Navi is not a high-end GPU, but rather, a 7nm replacement for Polaris.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/46038-amd-navi-is-not-a-high-end-card

AMD Navi is no high end GPU

We have been sitting on this piece of information for a while, but maybe it's the right time to share it with you. Navi 7nm the 2019 chip will not be a high end GPU, it will be a quite powerful performance/mainstream chip.
Think of it as the Radeon RX 580 / 480 replacement. It will be small, and is likely to perform as well as the Vega 14nm that shipped last year. In the Nvidia performance world Navi should perform close to Geforce GTX 1080 which is quite good for the mainstream part but probably on part of the mainstream part planned after the high end part.
AMD won't have anything in the high-end space faster than Vega between now and end of 2019. In GPU world this is eternity. This is the product where Radeon Technology Group really spent some time to go after this highly competitive and profitable mainstream / performance market
The new Navi 7nm mainstream chip would bring much needed advanced to stay competitive and add some Ray Tracing acceleration elements in the chip too.
The earliest we would expect a Navi successor, a real high end chip, would be at some point in 2020.

AMD is also pulling some of their Zen architecture team into the Radeon Technologies Group to help out with future GPUs.

https://pcgamesn.com/amd-zen-next-gen-radeon-graphics

AMD have confirmed they've pulled some of the Zen microprocessor team into the Radeon Technology Group to give their next generation of graphics silicon a boost in frequency, power, and performance.
Suzanne Plummer, CVP of the Radeon Technologies Group, explains how they were using some of the processes that went into making Ryzen a success to help give new Radeon hardware a little helping hand.
But not only are they taking some of the methodology, it sounds like they've also brought in some of the actual people from the Zen team to help Team Radeon make the next AMD graphics cards genuinely competitive.
"A lot of what we did in Zen was trying to push well beyond what we thought we could do," says Plummer, "and I think that is something we're trying to do in the graphics space as well to make a bigger leap forward.
"We've pulled in some of the expertise from the microprocessor cores team into the graphics team, kinda helping with our methodology, and improving our frequency and our performance and power. And just taking the best that we have already developed in-house and trying to make sure that we're using the same improvements across the company."
It's not clear whether Plummer is referring to the Navi architecture when she's talking about "a bigger leap forward" but she could well be talking about the next, wholly new AMD architecture. Given their leapfrogging design teams we know that they're already working on the post-GCN generation of graphics silicon

Navi GPU = Polaris successor
Next Gen GPU = Vega successor and GCN successor

Wcnte4M.jpg

I think PS5 and next Xbox will use many of the elements going into the new GPU design, even if the the new console GPUs are somewhere between Navi and Next Gen -
Neither Sony nor Microsoft will want to miss out on that tech.

Note: I wouldn't worry about the exact release dates of Navi and Next Gen GPU on this roadmap, it's more than 1 year old, at least.

Also remember PS4 Pro came out in Fall 2016 with a GPU mainly based on Polaris, which launched for PCs earlier that year, and PS4 Pro GPU had a couple features only found in Vega so far, which launched Autumn of last year, and even Xbox One X GPU didn't have these things, like double rate fp16.

Bottom line, if PS5 and Xbox Next launch in the Fall of 2020, they will likely have elements of the next GPU architecture, and also possibly having the extra power/performance that 7nm+ will have in late 2020, over first-gen 7nm in 2019/early 2020.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Considering Navi design was reported finalized some time ago, Plummer and her team are probably contributing to the Next Gen arch - and it makes sense, because that's when they're going to do some major restructuring to their silicon.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if 2020 is even a realistic date with how manufacturing processes can come up messed up so easily, especially with the change of pattern etching tech for "7nm".

Intel's 10nm is comparable to everyone else's 7nm btw.

Why did a nobody website charging $1000 for an absurd article gain this much traction anyways
It's nobody to you because you aren't involved in the semiconductor world.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
They always say that because current gen with still exist alongside new hardware for a couple years. They target a 10 yr life cycle and they have been pretty good at that.

Agree with that but Andrew House was mis-quoted by Polygon I believe. He said he was bullish about further life cycles, not longer cycles. Then gave three reasons why.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I for myself don't think that the PS5 will exceed 12TF around 2020. Storage will most likely be SSHD. SSD is still way too expensive for anything above 500gb.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Well,considering that PS Now is a flop... :)

Flop,comparing to PS+,for sure!

Is there anything out there that actually states its a flop?

Only going by my personal group of friends but I know more people who subscribe to now than I do +.

It would definitely be interesting to see the official numbers.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Is there anything out there that actually states its a flop?

Only going by my personal group of friends but I know more people who subscribe to now than I do +.

It would definitely be interesting to see the official numbers.

I asked Zhuge about this few days ago in the other thread,he doesn't know PS Now numbers either.He said that PS+ went from less then 5 million at the end of PS3 gen. to 34.2 million now!That is almost 2 billion revenue with big profit margin for Sony annually
They never realised Now numbers,they must be very low.I have + for years but i can not imagine subscribing for Now,i don't know anybody else who has it.