• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Either he has more money than sense; or he uses the website already, or will, in a professional capacity.

Know the OP mentioned their successes in the past but does anyone else have any knowledge of Semiaccurate? It is not as if they're even branding themself as market analysts or anything - they straight up call themselves news journalists so their subscription model seems absolutely wild to me. Especially since it isn't a service like AP or Reuters.

Depending on context $1000 is either wild bullshitting or a good fee for the content. News Wires and Market Analyists usually run in thousands a month.

Oct 27, 2017
This post requires a verified ResetEra Account to read

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
A quick and dirty right up of what the article is speculating would be appreciated. Once the knowledge is out there it's not like they can stop it. Someone was going to pay; someone was going to read it; websites are going to report it... Right?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Well it depends on if it's the best interest of publishers to want to sell PS4 games to PS5 owners again.

With BC, they can still do this; i.e. PS5 owners will still buy and play PS4 games. Plus, publishers also avoid the cost of having to spend precious dev resources on porting remasters. The PS4 games are already there, and if the PS5/XBN can deliver rendering improvements on the system level, it means devs need to do no work at all to make PS4 games on PS5 appealing.... it's entirely a win-win scenario.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, PS5 in 2019 is perfectly reasonable. That's 6 years from the launch of PS4, and 3 years from the launch of Pro. Also, MS likely isn't launching the next Xbox next year, given they just released the X. So, Sony gets a significant headstart on next-gen.
I Preferred when the MS and Sony consoles dropped around the same time tbh

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Y'all got any of them PM's?

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

Echoing this sentiment.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
To the people thinking 2019 won't happen b/c Sony likely won't have exclusives....let's be honest here, when has a Sony console launch ever relied on 1st party exclusives? The answer is never. Sony doesn't NEED a 1st party killer exclusive blowout to justify PS5's release. What they need are the 3rd parties, and they'll get them in spades.

A 2019 PS5 launch probably won't have much in the way of exclusives but if they can BOTW a couple of their big upcoming releases like TLOU2 and Death Stranding w/ upper-tier PS5 versions, and 3rd parties do the same..they'll do well at launch. It's really that simple.

Nov 4, 2017
What a weak ass gen PS4 was if that's true. Not a single GTA game. One Final Fantasy game.

2019 seems way too soon.

And wow, what a ripoff PS4 Pro turned out to be for the suckers who bought that for 1.5 years of relevancy.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
A quick and dirty right up of what the article is speculating would be appreciated. Once the knowledge is out there it's not like they can stop it. Someone was going to pay; someone was going to read it; websites are going to report it... Right?

Here's a write-up of the key points of the article:

ExcellentVainFlyingfox-max-1mb.gif

Edit:
Quick
Charlie the editor at SemiAccurate claims to have real PS5 info.. The main points are:
  • two possible launch dates are cited (doesn't really elaborate further)
  • PS5 will sport an AMD Navi-based GPU microarchitecture (duh)
  • PS5 will sport a custom AMD 8 core Zen CPU (duh)
  • no word on memory or memory bandwidth
  • cites rumours of dev kits in the wild (says the seeding has started to go beyond the first party devs now)
  • cites desktop Navi-based GPUs (for PC) are due Q1/2018
  • anticipates PS5 APU ready for Q4/2018 launch (sounds very much like SA speculation as opposed to real info.)
  • also admits that PS5 APU production timeline and discrete Navi GPU production timelines don't share any dependencies (on separate independent schedules so one won't hold up the other)
That's about it. All obvious stuff that's been discussed to death on this very forum, aside from the cited 2018 release date which is ostensibly tales from the editor's ass; as it's highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Quick Summary of Playstation 5 article:

-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi.
-CPU is custom Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released as this is a "sure sign that the launch is getting close". Not definitive.
-VR "goodies" baked in at the silicon level. (My Opinion, not authors: Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon. VR support inside the PS5 right out of the box, rather than that breakout box currently)

Some more stuff in there, but doesn't really discuss power of the system.

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
To the people thinking 2019 won't happen b/c Sony likely won't have exclusives....let's be honest here, when has a Sony console launch ever relied on 1st party exclusives? The answer is never. Sony doesn't NEED a 1st party killer exclusive blowout to justify PS5's release. What they need are the 3rd parties, and they'll get them in spades.

A 2019 PS5 launch probably won't have much in the way of exclusives but if they can BOTW a couple of their big upcoming releases like TLOU2 and Death Stranding w/ upper-tier PS5 versions, and 3rd parties do the same..they'll do well at launch. It's really that simple.

PS Vita had a new Uncharted / Wipeout / Hot Shots Golf and a half other dozen smaller Sony published games at launch....

so yeah it doesnt really matter :(. People were even saying the launch lineup was weak which I found crazy honestly, it was way better than the PS4 out of the gate.

Oct 29, 2017

PS5 comes out Holiday 2018 (or q1 2019) featuring an APU with a Navi gpu and an 8 Core Zen CPU.

Features much better VR support.

Tons of dev kits are out in the wild.

—————

My thoughts... the PS5 launching 2018 means that it will be built on 10-14nm, ie. It won't be that powerful. It likely will just have crossgen games for the first two years.

An XB2 in 2020 could be built on 3-5nm, feature HBM2 ram and be significantly more powerful.

Microsoft's biggest screw up is not making the XB1 compatible with the Oculus, the Vice or their own VR headsets. VR is going to be big next gen and MS allowed Sony to get a solid foothold completely unopposed (though the current PSVR headset and motion controllers are of very poor quality imo, they won't be next gen).

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
2019 launch would put MS on the back foot. The XB1X would only be 2 years old. Not really mid-gen, and with the pricetag I doubt they're ready to start with a new more powerful console. Sony waiting until 2020 gives MS enough time to make their fans pleased with the life of the XB1X and takes away Sony's year headstart. A PS5 in 2019 cuts MS off at the legs before the Gen even starts.

I know, I know, "Sony aren't worried about MS! They have it in the bag regardless!" But Sony is a large corporation, not rabid fanboys on forums. MS is still a threat and they know it because they're a professional business.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i can't believe apple is designing the PS5 as a tribute to steve job's relationship with the founder of Sony Akio Morita

Oct 25, 2017

-CPU is Zen
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released
-VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think)

Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.

So what's the summary then?

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
2019 launch would put MS on the back foot. The XB1X would only be 2 years old. Not really mid-gen, and with the pricetag I doubt they're ready to start with a new more powerful console. Sony waiting until 2020 gives MS enough time to make their fans pleased with the life of the XB1X and takes away Sony's year headstart. A PS5 in 2019 cuts MS off at the legs before the Gen even starts.

I know, I know, "Sony aren't worried about MS! They have it in the bag regardless!" But Sony is a large corporation, not rabid fanboys on forums. MS is still a threat and they know it because they're a professional business.
Also, the massive success of one console does not predict the success of the next one. PS2 sold a ton, but Sony really screwed up with the PS3. Similar thing happened with Microsoft when transitioning from the 360 to the XB1.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

-CPU is Zen
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released
-VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think)

Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.

wwe-ref.gif

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Selling rumors, nice, i gotta start doing the same. That 2018 launch date not gonna happen. Sony is market leader dosent need to rush into a new gen when PS4 Pro is only 2 years old and they still have so many exclusvive PS4 titles anounced for 2019.
Holiday 2019 seems to me the earliest a PS5 will land. If not later.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
PS Vita had a new Uncharted / Wipeout / Hot Shots Golf and a half other dozen smaller Sony published games at launch....

so yeah it doesnt really matter :(. People were even saying the launch lineup was weak which I found crazy honestly, it was way better than the PS4 out of the gate.

Having those games at launch really helped Vita on the shelves xD. TBH tho, that was a really solid 1st party launch lineup from Sony, their strongest in general. Those days are probably over.

Death Stranding and TLOU2 at launch w/ PS5 enhanced features and new modes, and maybe a couple third-party timed exclusives and that'd be pretty good for a PS5 that doesn't have to worry about a simultaneous XBO2.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Also, the massive success of one console does not predict the success of the next one. PS2 sold a ton, but Sony really screwed up with the PS3. Similar thing happened with Microsoft when transitioning from the 360 to the XB1.

I don't trust anything in that industry. I've been around long enough to see everybody get everything wrong at least twice. Anything can happen. Which is why I love this shit.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
So custom/semi Navi GPU with a custom Zen CPU?

Late 2019 seems to be OK, but I would like them to hold until the late 2020 to be able to further improve the hardware.

Oct 29, 2017

No, the PS5 launching 2018 means that it will be built on 10-14nm, ie. It won't be that powerful. It likely will just have crossgen games for the first two years.

An XB2 in 2020 could be built on 3-5nm and be significantly more powerful.

Microsoft's biggest screw up is not making the XB1 compatible with the Oculus, the Vice or their own VR headsets. VR is going to be big next gen and MS allowed Sony to get a solid foothold completely unopposed.

Oct 25, 2017
https://semiaccurate.com/2018/04/03/semiacccurate-gets-playstation-5next-details/

So Semiaccuarate who got info right about the nx with nintendo partnering with nvidia for the switch and giving correct ps4 specs in 2012 has a lot of info on ps5. Problem is it requires a professional level subscription which is $1000 to read the article.

Edit: Here is a short summary of the article:

Mod Edit: Do not post scans of the article, summaries and discussion are fine however.

Ohhh, I updated my post. Can you add in one more bullet point? They are using Zen as the CPU.

Thats pretty much it for the summary.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
$1000 subscription, is that a joke? Cause it's not a funny one.

Regardless neither console is coming out soon and if they are, we're hear about them this E3 which is less than 3 months away. This information certainly isnt worth 1k, especially cause E3 is around the corner and we'll get juicy info then.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Man... even 2019 seems a bit too soon. If it is though, they better announce it early so I can start saving up, lol.