• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
I would never in my life pay more than $20, let $1000, for a article that might not even be true.

I highly doubt the PS5 will launch in 2018, personally I don't want it til 2020.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
Navi GPU is believable but 2018 is almost out of the question, even Xbox One X didn't have Vega architecture while it was released a few months before Xbox One X release. Navi + Zen end 2018 would be very expensive.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city
Quick Summary of Playstation 5 article:

-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi.
-CPU is Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released
-VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think)

Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.
Thanks for the summary.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Kind of bored of hearing everyone on Era saying PS5 won't be out til 2020... 2021, 2022...

Face facts: PS4 launched 5 years ago. PS5 could launch next week and it would not be a surprise or unusually short in terms of average gen life cycles. The idea it could launch this Christmas or early next year is not only feasible, it's a damn safe bet given the average console lifespan is about 5 years.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that they think 2018 release is something that might happen makes this whole thing a joke. There is no way Sony doesn't know if it's coming out this year or not.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
2019 launch would put MS on the back foot. The XB1X would only be 2 years old. Not really mid-gen, and with the pricetag I doubt they're ready to start with a new more powerful console. Sony waiting until 2020 gives MS enough time to make their fans pleased with the life of the XB1X and takes away Sony's year headstart. A PS5 in 2019 cuts MS off at the legs before the Gen even starts.

I know, I know, "Sony aren't worried about MS! They have it in the bag regardless!" But Sony is a large corporation, not rabid fanboys on forums. MS is still a threat and they know it because they're a professional business.

Agree - but the available tech impacts this approach a lot. If by going 2019 Sony are stuck on 14/16nm they won't have enough headroom to make a big step forward vs pro or xb1x, and xb2 a year later on 7nm will be potentially much more powerful

If Sony can do 2019 while also being on 7nm (eg a not yet mature process and accept lower yields for first mover advantage), that could be a great option for them

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings toward next gen rumors now are so different than last gen.

I was salivating at any details, I couldn't fucking wait.

This gen I'm like 'DAMN can ya'll wait a minute I'm still enjoying this!'

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
dcbPFx.jpg

LOL.

-CPU is Zen
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released
-VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think)

At least SemiAccurate thinks the GPU is Navi or based on Navi. If they had said it was based on the outdated, late, powersucking pig that is Vega, I would've bricked a shit !!!!!

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If this shit actually happened, I'd cancel every game I have on preorder and start pouring money into my Amazon wallet..

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kind of bored of hearing everyone on Era saying PS5 won't be out til 2020... 2021, 2022...

Face facts: PS4 launched 5 years ago. PS5 could launch next week and it would not be a surprise or unusually short in terms of average gen life cycles. The idea it could launch this Christmas or early next year is not only feasible, it's a damn safe bet given the average console lifespan is about 5 years.

PS5 coming out Q4 2018 is a safe bet, what?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Sony don't need to launch in 2019, but early 2020 seems smart. Give all the hardcore people a non-holiday period to buy it. Then have plenty of stock and games for the holidays.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017

-CPU is Zen

Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.
Thanks fam we eating tonight.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
2019?? What games will be ready by then from Sony? Unless theres a super secret one I just can't see it. Still thinking 2020

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
It is. Still hope it's 2020 and they make it as powerful as possible for $399 (and selling it for a loss).
Yeah, it just makes more sense both business wise and technologically. However, I'll pay $499 if the specs are worth it. I'd rather that, than them gimp on the specs to hit a lower price point. I don't think Sony wants to sell for a loss, but maybe they could since they're so far ahead this gen. Who knows. :)

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Except there is no accessible notable tech that Sony can draw on to make this a generational leap over the $400 system they are selling today.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still betting on a 2020 release, personally. If Sony manages to get it out sooner then hey, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we would have specs by now if there were a good deal of kits out there.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
2019 PS5, hmmm. Honestly this may fall into Microsoft's favor. Whatever Sony fucks up on, Microsoft can improve or reiterate upon in 2020 with releasing the Nextbox.

With everything Microsoft has been working on, and with the right first party titles, they can easily get back on top. I have no doubts about that.

But if nextgen is already starting in the next year...where is that going to leave the Switch? Maybe that rumored Mariko (pro/revised) unit will come into play? If not I don't see Nintendo retaining 3rd party support for much longer.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If JawBonkers wants to recoup his money I have some cool investments available. All I need is $2000 in advance

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

-CPU is Zen

If this comes to fruition, count me the fuck in. A powerful 8-core Zen would do absolute wonders for console and its ability to tackle VR, livestreaming and much more.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it just makes more sense both business wise and technologically. However, I'll pay $499 if the specs are worth it. I'd rather that, than them gimp on the specs to hit a lower price point. I don't think Sony wants to sell for a loss, but maybe they could since they're so far ahead this gen. Who knows. :)
I would do the same. PS is my main gaming platform. But it looks like $499 is not good for the mass marked. $399 is the perfect price for that. But I would be okay with a $499 PS5 Pro three years after the PS5 launch.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably w/ some Zen 2 features mixed in
Maybe. Some kind of Zen plus ( Semi custom Zen+). I say custom because can be a mix of desktop Zen with mobile Ryzen ( Ryzen5 2500U).
The Zen already have a big advantage: a hyperthread like intel cpus with give much more power.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say a 2018 release seems unlikely even if possible. Even with dev kits already out there, makes more sense to give games more time to bake for launch and let the price of the final hardware be less at launch. That and I think it's unlikely MS will release another Xbox before 2020 with the X1X out. That would still give them a year lead.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Days gone is probably going to get released early 2019. But I can't see them releasing PS5 before GOT comes out. Unless they turn it into a ps5 title.

Last of us and death stranding are wild cards.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up. I just got to this thread. Did someone really pay $1000 bucks for some random info that could be total bull shit?

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Except there is no accessible notable tech that Sony can draw on to make this a generational leap over the $400 system they are selling today.

People on here said Switch would use X2. It didn't. The PS5 specs will no doubt disappoint everyone on ERA. But it'll be enough of a jump for the mass market and sell big numbers anyway.

You're also forgetting that Sony has the buying power to get chips in massive bulk orders making costs more accessible than your average custom PC builder.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Okay I'm kind of slow when it comes to these things. Where do those specs fall on the spectrum of ass to beast?

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Phhht why settle for 10-12TF.. let's bring this puppy to 16TF. I'm still betting 2019. Just feels so soon even though it will have been 6 years