• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: This thread is not for discussing the 2016 primaries.

Judge Brett Kavanaugh & Professor Christine Blasey Ford Testify
The Senate Judiciary Committee hears testimony from Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh and Professor Christine Blasey Ford about her allegations that Judge Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her while the two were teenagers.

Will add more streaming links as they pop up.

Streaming links:

C-Span
WaPo - YT
WaPo - Twitch
CBS - YT

Live updates (text, for those that can't watch):

Huff Post
The Guardian

Time: It starts at 10am ET/7am PT

Ford's testimony here.

Article link.

What is happening at the hearing?
It's scheduled to get under way in the Senate Judiciary Committee at 10:00 local time (14:00 GMT) and could last five hours.

It is set to be highly dramatic. No-one has seen or heard the 51-year-old Prof Ford publicly, apart from a few grainy pictures, since the allegations arose.

After addresses by the leading Republican and Democrat members, Prof Ford will deliver her opening statement.

The 21 senators on the committee will then have five minutes each to ask her questions.

The 10 Democrats will pose questions themselves and are expected to ask how the incident affected her and why it took her so long to talk about it.

The 11 Republicans, all men, are expected to defer most of their questions to a female lawyer, Phoenix prosecutor Rachel Mitchell.

Prof Ford will reportedly then leave the room and Brett Kavanaugh will enter. Prof Ford had earlier asked not to be in the same room as the judge.

Mr Kavanaugh, 53, will deliver his statement and the same round of questioning will follow.

A Democratic Party aide told Associated Press that its senators would try to make him look nervous and would address inconsistencies in his earlier statements.

Do we know what will be said?
Both Prof Ford and Mr Kavanaugh have released written testimony ahead of the hearing.

In her testimony, Prof Ford will say: "It is not my responsibility to determine whether Mr Kavanaugh deserves to sit on the Supreme Court. My responsibility is to tell the truth."

She will allege Mr Kavanaugh and his friend Mark Judge locked her in a bedroom during a small gathering at a house in Washington DC suburbs in the summer of 1982.

She will say Mr Kavanaugh tried to drunkenly remove her clothing, pinned her to a bed and groped her at a party when she was 15 and he was 17.

"Brett's assault on me drastically altered my life. For a very long time, I was too afraid and ashamed to tell anyone the details," she writes.

In his written testimony, Mr Kavanaugh denies Prof Ford's allegation "immediately, unequivocally, and categorically", along with all other accusations against him.

The written testimony suggests Mr Kavanaugh will not try to portray himself as a saint.

He will say: "I was not perfect in those days, just as I am not perfect today. I drank beer with my friends, usually on weekends. Sometimes I had too many."

But he will also say that what he has been accused of is "far more serious than juvenile misbehaviour".

Why does this all matter and what happens next?
The Senate Judiciary Committee must vote on Mr Kavanaugh's confirmation before it is passed to the full Senate for a vote there.

A vote by the committee is scheduled for Friday but its chairman, Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, has left open the possibility it might be delayed again.

All 10 Democratic members on the committee have called on President Trump to "immediately withdraw" Mr Kavanaugh's nomination.

Republicans want their nominee in place before the looming midterm elections, when they could lose their 51-49 control of the Senate.

Any confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh could also affect female voters in November. The confirmation of Justice Clarence Thomas despite allegations of sexual harassment fuelled the rise of a new generation of female politicians in the 1992 national elections.

Supreme Court judges are nominated by the president and hold the position for life.

Mr Kavanaugh's presence on the court could give it a more conservative character for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
wow so they got a woman to ask questions for them. sniveling fucking cowards.

They keep harping on how this isn't a trial and they don't want witnesses, then get a female prosecutor to come in and question Ford on their behalf just to avoid the 'Bunch of old white men berating a woman about sex crimes' look.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Please don't be: "I made this up." It will be a huge win for GOP and it'll put doubt on all victims of #MeToo if that happens.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends how public opinion goes after this, he might come across really badly after her testimony. The questions will be interesting even coming from a woman. It might be quite enlightening for republican voters....you would hope, do you want to treated this way, a second class citizen?

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should just dedicate themselves to moving to the states of the senators that are going to force this albatross onto the court and remove any semblance of their existence for decades through voting.

This may not be worth watching. Dumb wealthy Americans making neanderthal level decisions to protect their one ring.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GOP is already going into this all wrong. They want to treat it as a trial when it's not at all.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they found someone who thinks they were the ones who did this to Dr. Ford, instead of Kavanaugh. If they mention that I guarantee they bring this dude in to testify last minute today.

I Also expect to hear a long list of fake allegations today in some form.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Watching (well, reading) this whole situation from the UK in horror. Someone accused of multiple instances of something this serious, instead of being investigated thoroughly, is seemingly getting the support of tons of people who want him fast-tracked through to a lifetime position of some pretty serious power. The overwhelming response seems to be "That's the GOP for you". With a self-aggrandising and all-but-self-admitted sexual predator in the White House, the apathy among the vast majority of the country seems to be alien to me. How in the hell did things get this bad? Is the pursuit of the almighty dollar really that important over being a decent fucking human being? Or is it OK to be an arsehole because all you've got to do is ask a man in a box for his big friend in the sky to forgive and all's done.

Fuck, this is awful.

Oct 28, 2017
Watching (well, reading) this whole situation from the UK in horror. Someone accused of multiple instances of something this serious, instead of being investigated thoroughly, is seemingly getting the support of tons of people who want him fast-tracked through to a lifetime position of some pretty serious power. The overwhelming response seems to be "That's the GOP for you". With a self-aggrandising and all-but-self-admitted sexual predator in the White House, the apathy among the vast majority of the country seems to be alien to me. How in the hell did things get this bad? Is the pursuit of the almighty dollar really that important over being a decent fucking human being? Or is it OK to be an arsehole because all you've got to do is ask a man in a box for his big friend in the sky to forgive and all's done.

Fuck, this is awful.

Anything to own the libs

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Two older women at my job are getting on my nerves. They're saying that they don't believe any of the accusers. Doing the typical victim blaming: "Why didn't they say anything years ago."

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Please don't be: "I made this up." It will be a huge win for GOP and it'll put doubt on all victims of #MeToo if that happens.

There's no chance she made this up. She has records of her talking about an assault going back half a decade, at least.

They could go with the mistaken identity/not really assault angle though, and I hope she doesn't fuck it up.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. Two older women at my job are getting on my nerves. They're saying that they don't believe any of the accusers. Doing the typical victim blaming: "Why didn't they say anything years ago."

Ford's dad is supposedly like "I can't support you becaus I like the sandwiches in the country club" TODAY. Imagine the support she would've gotten decades ago.

Burn it all down.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
wow so they got a woman to ask questions for them. sniveling fucking cowards.

I believe the reason they are doing this is many of them were the same ones that questioned Anita Hill on camera 27 years ago. To be seen doing it then and then again today - on video- sends the message loud and clear that the GOP hasn't learned a thing about respecting women in the last 3 decades.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be listening while at work. Hoping I don't break anything while listening to nonsense.

I kind of want one of the Democrats to cede their time to the female prosecutor. Her job is to go after sexual offenders and yet she's here to go after the victim. Let's see how seriously she is taking this hearing and see her do her actual job, or more importantly, if she's even willing to.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
On a more serious note I am not gonna watch this for the sake of my sanity. Not sure I could sit through hours of corrupt politicians calling a potential sexual assault victim a liar because reasons.

I feel like I would lose my cool about 7mins in.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be listening while at work. Hoping I don't break anything while listening to nonsense.

I kind of want one of the Democrats to cede their time to the female prosecutor. Her job is to go after sexual offenders and yet she's here to go after the victim. Let's see how seriously she is taking this hearing and see her do her actual job, or more importantly, if she's even willing to.

I believe most of them will be ceding their time to Kamala Harris.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of Dr. Ford "bombing" this thing. Now I'm terrified. I really, really hope she stays strong and presents a super credible and believable story. This will be the most difficult thing she's ever done in her life so I hope she doesn't falter.

I'm not going to watch but will check in here periodically and hope for the best.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck, this is awful.
All of the above. Our country is fucked from a moral perspective, not that it hasn't always been that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.