• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

There have been some great political cartoons since Trump was elected but wow, this one does not pull any punches,

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
My tragic prediction is that the FBI will come back with a bunch of accounts from people who knew Kavanaugh back in the day, and they will say that yes, he was an alcoholic rapist scumbag. Republicans will say it doesnt matter and vote him in anyway.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm basically trapped in a group text with them. The only way I can stop the texts from coming in is to completely block them. It's a group chat with my three brothers and a brother-in-law, all of whom are rabid partisan Trump supporters. Also, I'm probably a masochist.

I use Textra on Android and I can blacklist people on there (which doesn't stop the texts from coming through but only showing up in the app), but won't block them on the phone level. So any important phone calls would still come through. Not sure if you're on iOS or Android.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a few will call the investigation "too limited" or "sham".

I expect a majority of Democratic senators will lead the charge with those type of labels, which would be disappointing given the professionalism of the FBI.

It will definitely shed light on the overall intent of those asking for the initial investigation.

Well, it probably will be too limited. Proving a sexual assault claim is hard. Ideally, the investigation would look into larger credibility issues related to the case, such as Kavanaugh's claims about knowing or not knowing Dr. Ford, his convenient retconning of terms like "devil's triangle" or whatever, and other things along those lines. There is a good chance that, in his defense of himself, he's committed perjury.

The bare minimum investigation of corroborating evidence for the specific event will probably not get us much closer to being certain one way or the other.

Remember, an investigation is the least that should be done, and the main function it would have would likely be to set some parameters for our understanding of the situation (testing the credibility of Kavanaugh's self-characterizations, testing the credibility of Dr. Ford's claim that she and Kavanaugh were at this party together, etc.). There was never a good chance of it being a determinative thing, and it's a bit of a problem that it's being treated as one from the outset.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have owned up to the original post by acknowledging the phrasing error. The edit came about because another poster pointed out to me that the FBI wouldn't find Kavanaugh innocent, but that there wouldn't be evidence to corroborate Ford's testimony after the investigation. At which time, I made the edit.

What seems to be the issue is that you are erasing the "what if" scenario context that has never changed from the initial to the edited version. I haven't at all made any suggestions of his innocence or the lack of evidence outside of that context. I have actually went the opposite direction with my replies.

If you want it more clearly. I do think Kavanaugh is guilty. I do think Ford was telling the truth in her testimony. I do hope he doesn't get a confirmation.
Well the issue I have is that in our back and forth, you never once acknowledged that you were wrong about the implications of stating he could be found innocent, and I even went back to post the original post I was responding to you and found out you edited it that way. Instead of just saying "you know what, I messed up, I shouldn't have phrased it in a way that made it seem as though Ford could be lying". Instead it's this oh, by the way, yeah, I edited it, as if you misspelled a word or something and that your initial sentiment wasn't recklessly and insensitively phrased.

It comes off as disingenuous, whether you mean it that way or not.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
My tragic prediction is that the FBI will come back with a bunch of accounts from people who knew Kavanaugh back in the day, and they will say that yes, he was an alcoholic rapist scumbag. Republicans will say it doesnt matter and vote him in anyway.

Yep. They've already proved they don't care about the law by the committee vote. All I can hope is that if the Dens win the mid terms they can impeach him. For that to happen we'd need a sizeable majority, I just hope my faith in the blue wave is rewarded

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. They've already proved they don't care about the law by the committee vote. All I can hope is that if the Dens win the mid terms they can impeach him. For that to happen we'd need a sizeable majority, I just hope my faith in the blue wave is rewarded
I'm hopeful the FBI clearly illustrates the amount of distorted presentations Kavanaugh provided. At the very least, it should make the "moderate" Republicans think twice about their vote. Just such a shit show that those Republicans are so hard to find. This should be an easy, easy no vote.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Something I thought was really interesting was this moment.

The moment she starts asking questions about the names on the calendar he flounders and the Reps have to save him.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I expect a few will call the investigation "too limited" or "sham".

I expect a majority of Democratic senators will lead the charge with those type of labels, which would be disappointing given the professionalism of the FBI.

It will definitely shed light on the overall intent of those asking for the initial investigation.

What intent is that, exactly? The fact that it took this much politicing simply to bring about an FBI investigation for a supreme court nominee accused of sexual misconduct is insanity. I'd be much more wary of the intent of the people saying this didn't warrant any inquiry at all, especially considering most of these senators were there for and approved of the FBI investigation into Anita Hill's allegations.

Oct 28, 2017
What intent is that, exactly? The fact that it took this much politicing simply to bring about an FBI investigation for a supreme court nominee accused of sexual misconduct is insanity. I'd be much more wary of the intent of the people saying this didn't warrant any inquiry at all, especially considering most of these senators were there for and approved of the FBI investigation into Anita Hill's allegations.

One thing I don't get is why couldn't Feinstein have brought her allegations to the FBI and still preserve her confidentiality?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Kavanaugh should be thanking Ford, as far as I'm concerned, if she filed charges at the time and he was found guilty he would be a convicted felon and would have never made it this far.

I dunno why people realistically think reporting attempted rape in the 80s would have resulted in fuck all against Kavanaugh. Actual rapes went nowhere. Sexual assault was and still is pretty rampant among high school and college parties. It was all but accepted at the time, too. Just go watch 80s movies. Protagonists rape and sexually assault people for laughs. And, again, it's really not much better now in a lot of ways.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Well the issue I have is that in our back and forth, you never once acknowledged that you were wrong about the implications of stating he could be found innocent, and I even went back to post the original post I was responding to you and found out you edited it that way. Instead of just saying "you know what, I messed up, I shouldn't have phrased it in a way that made it seem as though Ford could be lying". Instead it's this oh, by the way, yeah, I edited it, as if you misspelled a word or something and that your initial sentiment wasn't recklessly and insensitively phrased.

It comes off as disingenuous, whether you mean it that way or not.
This is getting no where. I have owned up to the phrasing error multiple times now. You are still continuing to twist the intent of my initial post when it is presented in a "what if" scenario. Which I clarified even more in my first reply to you.

My initial post is being viewed as reckless and insensitive not because of the phrasing, but because you have taken it out of context. Which you just wish to continue still.

With that said, I wish you a good day and wonderful weekend. o7

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno why people realistically think reporting attempted rape in the 80s would have resulted in fuck all against Kavanaugh. Actual rapes went nowhere. Sexual assault was and still is pretty rampant among high school and college parties. It was all but accepted at the time, too. Just go watch 80s movies. Protagonists rape and sexually assault people for laughs. And, again, it's really not much better now in a lot of ways.

Fair point.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Revenge of the Nerds is so fucking gross. (I know that tends to be one of the first examples that gets brought up, and it's far from the only one.)

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Something I thought was really interesting was this moment.

The moment she starts asking questions about the names on the calendar he flounders and the Reps have to save him.

He was getting caught up in lies and then suddenly her line of questioning is over and then the only ones questioning him are the GOP senators. Like, it's obvious what's happening and infuriating that he was allowed to just interrupt, filibuster and ignore Dems' questioning when they tried to dig in.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is getting no where. I have owned up to the phrasing error multiple times now. You are still continuing to twist the intent of my initial post when it is presented in a "what if" scenario. Which I clarified even more in my first reply to you.

My initial post is being viewed as reckless and insensitive not because of the phrasing, but because you have taken it out of context. Which you just wish to continue still.

With that said, I wish you a good day and wonderful weekend. o7
Your representation of it just being a small, insignificant error that didn't have negative implications about people on this forum and the testimony of Ford.. comes off as disingenuous. I'm not twisting what you're saying and have backed up my argument with reasoning.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
One thing I don't get is why couldn't Feinstein have brought her allegations to the FBI and still preserve her confidentiality?
Unless I'm mistaken, that's what they tried to do, but her name leaked and they decided to go public. And I suppose it was inevitable, since clearly the public exposure was necessary to coerce the powers that be to get the FBI involved.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

I'm referring only to the intention of having Dr. Ford's claim investigated, and if said claim finds no legitimate evidence in support of the allegation.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the talk of deferring to Michelle in this thread.
To be fair, Kavanaugh struggled with her softball clarifing questions. There's some merit letting her continue those questions because Kavanaugh was at least trying to answer her. But pushing for an FBI investigation got us the FBI investigation.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
What can I say. I like to show interest in knowing how people feel in "what if" scenarios. Not sure why some think this is a bad thing. Especially when I have been open with my stance towards Kavanaugh and Ford.

Good golly gee whiz I wonder how people would feel about a rapist getting a Supreme Court appointment. Quite a thinker.

Hmm.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Kavanaugh struggled with her softball clarifing questions. There's some merit letting her continue those questions because Kavanaugh was at least trying to answer her. But pushing for an FBI investigation got us the FBI investigation.

Having her ask questions the GOP approved of over your own prepared questions makes zero sense.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having her ask questions the GOP approved of over your own prepared questions makes zero sense.
Oh, any other case and I'd agree with you. But the Republicans pulled Mitchell for a reason, and it wasn't just because they wanted to yell at the Dems. Kavanaugh was sinking himself by answering basic, clarification questions, questions that should have been no problem.

He was actually trying to respond to her questions, and /that/ was the problem.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, any other case and I'd agree with you. But the Republicans pulled Mitchell for a reason, and it wasn't just because they wanted to yell at the Dems. Kavanaugh was sinking himself by answering basic, clarification questions, questions that should have been no problem.

He was actually trying to respond to her questions, and /that/ was the problem.

If the Dems ceded their time to her he would obviously start dodging her questions.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Would the fbi have been able to investigate had Feinstein talked to them? It's my understanding that they needed the presidents approval to reopen the background check.

Status
Not open for further replies.