• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I can see into the future... Collins, Flake and Murkowski are a yes.
Plot twist, Graham is a nay after Trump calls and tells him he is never ever ever going to be AG (over T Swift instrumentals); Rubio votes nay after Brett Kavanaugh steals his lunch money, stuffs him in a congressional locker, and spray paints Little Marco is a FFFFFailure on the locker.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Plot twist, Graham is a nay after Trump calls and tells him he is never ever ever going to be AG (over T Swift instrumentals); Rubio votes nay after Brett Kavanaugh steals his lunch money, stuffs him in a congressional locker, and spray paints Little Marco is a FFFFFailure on the locker.

Ted Cruz is a no after Feinstein found damning evidence that he is the Zodiac Killer and extorts him.

The only issue is that she's known for 40 years and has been holding onto the evidence until now.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
We'll agree to disagree then. I understand your point and I dont wish to diminish it by saying it doesn't matter. It is a good point and the empath within me fully understands it.

however, when weighing the harm of a vote that is literally inconsequential and comparing it to the damage cause by endangering and possibly losing a Senate seat over it to an R with even worse views on a women's rights, the strategist in me can't help but feel that the latter isn't worth the needless risk of the former.

There comes a point where you are sacrificing too much for a nebulous "greater good." And, there is no guarantee Manchin would lose for voting "No" on Kavanaugh, last I checked he was leading in the double digits. Further, a stand for the right thin may very well bolster more support from oppressed voters who feel no one was fighting for them before.

The problem with the Manchin strategy is that it is what led to D party to the state it is now. A party of no ideology, sacrificing morals and beliefs to protect seats for the "greater good." Well, those voters didn't turn out for Hillary because they weren't interested in the status quo, they wanted to more. So, they either sat out or voted Trump. At a certain point you have to ask yourself what the fuck you are protecting?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

If Republicans think trying to make gay marriage illegal is a winning issue in light of data like the above then I say go ahead. It won't go well for them.

Regarding Roe v. Wade, they'd never overturn it wholesale because then they lose that carrot to dangle in front of their religious base. It's the single issue above all other single issues that motivates a lot of their voters. Instead they'd just try and chip away at it other ways.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So one report saying there may be conflicting information is enough to not even question someone who puts their entire career on the line, based on the authenticity of her allegations?
Oh, I'm not saying that would be enough. I'm saying that might be why. I didn't see anything else that would be a reason to not talk to her.
Sure, that might be the case, or it might be the case that the White House specifically blacklisted her from the FBI investigation. We don't know. If she's lying then she's fucked career-wise. Most of her cachet came from making her claims via a sworn affidavit.
It could very well be either or. I don't ever think anyone is lying when I took a sexual assault case.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh, I'm not saying that would be enough. I'm saying that might be why. I didn't see anything else that would be a reason to not talk to her.

It could very well be either or. I don't ever think anyone is lying when I took a sexual assault case.
Right.. soo

There has to be an actual reason for the FBI turning her down. And there doesn't appear to be one

Doesn't that seem fucked to you

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

If Republicans think trying to make gay marriage illegal is a winning issue in light of data like the above then I say go ahead. It won't go well for them.

Regarding Roe v. Wade, they'd never overturn it wholesale because then they lose that carrot to dangle in front of their religious base. It's the single issue above all other single issues that motivates a lot of their voters. Instead they'd just try and chip away at it other ways.

The Republicans have long abandoned the idea of caring about the public interest.

They still worship Ronald Reagan for shit's sake. His adoption of neoliberal Capitalism has been a source of near-universal suffering when thinking about the public interest.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You mean where you tried to claim that you were an "investigator" but it turns out you work at Geek Squad?

Yeah, I'm still laughing at you.

The dispute was over whether or not their job gave them license to provide feedback on how investigations works. Fact is, it doesn't and they were talking out of their ass in the first place. The investigators being restricted from talking to key people had nothing to do with their guess on how long investigations take.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Coons is the MVP of the Senate. But it still wouldn't matter if Flake votes no unless Murkowski and Collins come along. Although, it would be nice to have a GOP member vote no regardless of the outcome.

And to think Coons is only in the Senate because idiot tea party Republicans voted for a joke like Christine O'Donnell in the 2010 primary instead of Mike Castle.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I agree that it would be ridiculous of me to claim that I'm an expert at the same level as KGB/Mi6/FBI when I work in I.T., but I didn't make that claim. I said I was an investigator, which is true. And no, my experience in I.T. does not translate directly to being an FBI Investigator and I never claimed it did. But I do think that my experience with investigating computers/tech makes me more than qualified to make this statement:

Imposing arbitrary timelines on investigations is not conducive to finding the truth.

And it turns out that the timeline didn't matter anyway, the investigation was a sham to begin with.

Ok. i exaggerated a tad... you got me. heheh..

Nah man, its a damn shame. Fucking sham. I knew that from it being only a week. A week of a real investigation, SURE. With the resources of the fbi.

This was a work.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I think Flake at heart wants to vote no, and I do think he knows this is a fucking sham. I think he's just conflicted on how it affects his potential future/legacy/jobs/running for higher office.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
A judge can't be charged by the police for multiple counts of sexual assault by different people in most countries?
It has nothing to do with being a judge. You don't seem to have a firm grasp of the situation. First of all, no one has even tried filing formal charges against him in the first place. Second of all the other poster was questioning the statue of limitations aka crime happened too long ago to prosecute which is a thing all over the world. And thirdly as I responded to the other poster, there is no statute of limitations for this type of crime where the alleged crimes happened.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hope springs eternal. But we need to look forward to midterms and to doing something about the SC in the long term. 11 justices is a start.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The Republicans have long abandoned the idea of caring about the public interest.

They still worship Ronald Reagan for shit's sake. His adoption of neoliberal Capitalism has been a source of near-universal suffering when thinking about the public interest.
They care when it would lead to them taking significant electoral losses by getting behind ideas like that one that aren't even very popular among their own voters. You're even seeing some of that play out right now with this confirmation. They just don't like to admit it in public.

And none of the Republicans I know (admittedly a short list) talk about Reagan anymore. Does Fox News even bring him up? I feel like they don't because Reagan is way too liberal compared to what the party is today. Can't get people nostalgic in that case.

Serious question:

Why is this all about Flake? Why aren't there more politicians in the Republican party who'd vote against Kavanaugh? I mean all party-policy forgotten, that guy seems dubious and unfit. Aren't there any Republicans seeing this?

If there would be like at least 10 Reps who'd say "Wait, I don't feel good about this guy, I won't vote for him" Flake wouldn't matter at all..

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Serious question:

Why is this all about Flake? Why aren't there more politicians in the Republican party who'd vote against Kavanaugh? I mean all party-policy forgotten, that guy seems dubious and unfit. Aren't there any Republicans seeing this?

Cause he's the lynchpin

They need 2 Repubs to vote no and all the rest are following party line, so it's Flake/Murkowski/Collins

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has nothing to do with being a judge. You don't seem to have a firm grasp of the situation. First of all, no one has even tried filing formal charges against him in the first place. Second of all the other poster was question the statue of limitations aka crime happened too long ago to prosecute which is a thing all over the world. And thirdly as I responded to the other poster, there is no statute of limitations for this type of crime where the alleged crimes happened.

I'm from the UK so admittedly my knowledge of the inner workings of the American justice system isn't exemplary but everything you've just described sounds completely alien to me. Here people can have charges brought against them for crimes they committed many decades ago no matter the position they hold.

Anyway, I was kind of meaning the way people hold the constitution as this holy sanctity that can't be changed or updated, it's why your problems with guns will always be there unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.