• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't done anything wrong, I think people are just angry at him for retiring while Republicans have the house, senate, and presidency. And for him to speak up about this whole situation now is kind of a slap in the face because the entire world knew this was going to be a shitshow.
Correct me if I am wrong but I also read that for a Conservative judge, he was more moderate and would be the deciding vote on the bench?

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have time limits on our criminal investigations. If at a certain point you haven't made any more progress, and don't have any relevant leads to further progress, then we have to close the cases out and move on to the next cases.

Yes, what you are describing is the logical progression of an investigation. Time limits are put in place for good reasons (hopefully). What's the logic behind a week for this one?

Edit: and possibly more important: who chose the timeframe?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Is there more to it? What has he actually done wrong?
He's also complicit in preventing a recount in Bush v Gore to give Bush the presidency, giving the green light to voter purges and racial gerrymandering strategies in red states, crippling public unions that generally support the democratic party, ripping out campaign finance regulations with Citizens United, and overturning the voting rights act of '65 as partisan attacks on the democratic party. I'm sure I missed some, but the supreme court has not just been undemocratic, it's become more and more anti-democratic and he's one of the key people in that movement.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's also complicit in preventing a recount in Bush v Gore to give Bush the presidency, giving the green light to voter purges and racial gerrymandering strategies in red states, crippling public unions that generally support the democratic party, ripping out campaign finance regulations with Citizens United, and overturning the voting rights act of '65 as partisan attacks on the democratic party. I'm sure I missed some, but the supreme court has not just been undemocratic, it's become more and more anti-democratic and he's one of the key people in that movement.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of his history, which is quite grotesque.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
this is it exactly and I just saw a great thread on it that literally amounts to "how dare you accuse Me"
it's been unrolled in the comments if your interested.

DIT+NAT+FRED+GUTTENBERG+090418.00_00_02_16.Still005THUMB.jpg

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yes, what you are describing is the logical progression of an investigation. Time limits are put in place for good reasons (hopefully). What's the logic behind a week for this one?

Edit: and possibly more important: who chose the timeframe?
I feel like the time limit is imposed so they still have time to put up another justice nomination before the democrats take over should they win the senate.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You think his granddad was still at Yale when Kavanaugh wanted to get in? This alone is not enough to accuse Kavanaugh of lying.
It is just another false statement in the laundry list of lies he told in the Thursday hearing and his confirmation hearing. Bernie Sanders outlines all the lies told that are far more substantial than this one.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
You think his granddad was still at Yale when Kavanaugh wanted to get in? This alone is not enough to accuse Kavanaugh of lying.

I don't know what this means. His grandfather is a connection to the University whether he used it or not, it's a connection. There's a reason that legacies have a leg up, he lied because he was worried that if he mentioned the connection it would make him look bad. He had the hook up, if it was used or not is irrelevant to his truthfulness.

It's like saying, "I didn't know Brett, we never talked about murdering Tammy"

You may have not talked about murdering Tammy but lying about knowing Brett is still perjury.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, the candor here is so off-putting. We went this morning from an assured Kavanaugh vote to chaos to a damn good reason for hope, and all I see are hand waivings as if none of this means anything.

Have fun being miserable for the rest of your lives. I'm pretty damn happy for once. If all this turns out to be nothing and he gets voted through, then I'll join ya on the depression train, but until then things are looking pretty damn good from where they were just hours ago.

seriously people on this forum need to take a look at their pessimistic selves and reflect. I'm all ready to drag your asses if this nomination falls through because this shit is getting exhausting

Well said. It's crazy how people were dead sure it was a lock, then we get this and folks still gotta downplay it or come up with theories about how this was all a ploy by flake with the rest of em.

It's nothing more then bad faith trolling.

Pessimism is a defense mechanism for people who are too fragile to even recognize the possibility something good could potentially happen. It's weak. Like you need to create a fiction where the bad thing is the only thing so you don't fall apart. It's a problem people shouldn't let persist.

Penny for your thoughts.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Legacy just means that someone else in your family had attended the school. Generally parents are the most important connections, but I'd assume grandparents could be some kind of connection. If his grandfather was a large enough name, no question.

It should be noted that legacies aren't guranteed a place in the school.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sen. Pat Leahy, June 6, 2006:

"In the important DC Circuit, the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh was the culmination the Republicans' decade-long attempt to pack the DC Circuit that began with the stalling of Merrick Garland's nomination in 1996"

More deja vu

Sen. Leahy, May 1, 2006:

"I am also concerned that the Senate Judiciary Committee is being required to consider the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit without a complete record."

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1046194637722013697
Sen. Leahy, April 27, 2004 Hearing on Kavanaugh nomination to DC District Court, after a back and forth with the nominee: "I have other questions for the record, although I suspect they probably will not be answered, but I will still submit them."

https://twitter.com/the_idiotlord/status/1046192032438521856

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017

When you go back and analize everything and see this, you can tell that everything is by design, Supreme Court has been partisan leaning republican trought more than one generation, and the steps taken by GOP is basically making sure they have some form of control in the way laws are shaped in this country.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Legacy students, at the very worst, receive an extra look through their applications if they aren't accepted initially. That alone is enough to say he lied. He may have busted his tail, but he still had a connection.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll let you know when its over. Despite the WH news a week is a long damn time for things to turn up.
Things to turn up? Like what? We already know that there's a very narrow scope of the investigation. Have you been keeping up?

oh wait he got confirmed?? no need to quote me until then champ
Are you prepared to be dragged if he is? You talked a big game, so I wonder if that put a dent in your optimism.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Penny for your thoughts.

He's in?

Seriously, don't quote me with some petty bullshit a day later because I'd rather not give into anxiety with some of ya. Hop on era after a nice day and I've got jokers with a vendetta following me around. Good grief.

Things to turn up? Like what? We already know that there's a very narrow scope of the investigation. Have you been keeping up?

Are you prepared to be dragged if he is? You talked a big game, so I wonder if that put a dent in your optimism.

Read your post and you may realize that it's not normal. You want the guy to be miserable? You almost seem like you're gunning for it and it's pretty strange. Like seriously, what's going on with some of you? Why would you be so gung ho about putting a dent in someone's optimism of all things?

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Sometimes I wish there was a real life Punisher but they were a political Punisher.

Obviously vigilantism is wrong... Least someone gets the wrong idea.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's in?

Seriously, don't quote me with some petty bullshit a day later because I'd rather not give into anxiety with some of ya. Hop on era after a nice day and I've got jokers with a vendetta following me around. Good grief.
"Goofballs" has a nicer ring to it and "jokers" doesn't have the same panache. Too bad you edited it out.

A simple "still optimistic/hopeful" would've been sufficient, but some people can't help being jerks I guess.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe Kavanaugh didn't think he would be voted through, and lied about a bunch of little things so he could make a better "I'm a victim" sob story. It would make his life easier after this was over. Of course, he got through and a new layer of scrutiny has been applied to everything he's said.
No way, they told him stay strong and we'll vote you through no matter what happens. "Just keep Trump's confidence and you will get through"

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
"Goofballs" has a nicer ring to it and "jokers" doesn't have the same panache. Too bad you edited it out.

A simple "still optimistic/hopeful" would've been sufficient, but some people can't help being jerks I guess.

i don't know why you would have posted something like your original round up question other than to be a jerk so that's a pretty weird charge to make.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He hasn't done anything wrong, I think people are just angry at him for retiring while Republicans have the house, senate, and presidency. And for him to speak up about this whole situation now is kind of a slap in the face because the entire world knew this was going to be a shitshow.
I was offended that he reportedly had a say in the replacement. I am offended that any SCOTUS Justice would dare do this.

The institution matters to me.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know why you would have posted something like your original round up question other than to be a jerk so that's a pretty weird charge to make.
There's a difference between "penny for your thoughts" and "I bet the news on the news on the investigation really fucked up that bullshit optimism of yours, eh?"

Like I said, a simple "still hopeful/optimistic" would've sufficed.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between "penny for your thoughts" and "I bet the news on the news on the investigation really fucked up that bullshit optimism of yours, eh?"

Like I said, a simple "still hopeful/optimistic" would've sufficed.

Not responding would have sufficed to be honest. What are you gaining by randomly baiting people? Nothing even changed here

? Was it fake news or changing direction after the fact

Hmm...believe a pathological liar or a professional news outlet. Tough decision there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could be that Trump himself doesn't care who they talk to but the people actually calling the shots and directing the investigation in the DoJ do. It seems more likely to me that the White House is setting limits it but is denying it to make the investigation look more impartial than it is.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Legacy just means that someone else in your family had attended the school. Generally parents are the most important connections, but I'd assume grandparents could be some kind of connection. If his grandfather was a large enough name, no question.

It should be noted that legacies aren't guranteed a place in the school.
That's not what a connection is. If my mom went to Red Lobster and I went there the week after, I don't have a connection at Red Lobster. If she went there, they liked her, and somehow remembered her, and I went and said "Hey my mom was here last week, remember her?" and they go "oh yeah she was lovely have this great seat" - THAT is a connection, because it has to do with the person at the institution.

I mean, dude is a slimeball, but it's a real reach to say you can call it perjury in what you're talking about - maybe he did, maybe they only got him in because of his Grandfather, but that's not inherently true just because he went there. It wouldn't surprise me if the school was partly aware of the connection, maybe even Brett's parents talked to them at some point, like they could've rolled out the red carpet and he just didn't even know they did any of that, it's still not perjury then. Do I think all of that is super likely? No, but the point is that it's not a talking point you can prove, and it dilutes the ACTUAL important stuff we should be worried about, with something flippant.

IDK about you, but the "Skis" are way more interesting than trying to GOTTEM over the fact that he has privilege in his life.

Thats exactly what happened.
100%

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's in?

Read your post and you may realize that it's not normal. You want the guy to be miserable? You almost seem like you're gunning for it and it's pretty strange. Like seriously, what's going on with some of you? Why would you be so gung ho about putting a dent in someone's optimism of all things?

Because that's exactly how our opposition wants us to feel so we let our guard down. This isn't normal, none of this is. It's okay for us to feel this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.