• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
AOC coming out saying she doesn't believe she will call for a roll call vote. Should have never floated it in the first place, but this is smart given Massie is getting shit on by everybody in a bipartisan manner.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
If I was marked as a dependent in 2018 returns, but still had a job during the year and technically had taxes filed separately (I got my own refund), would that money go to me or my parents who claimed me?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Ask to be laid off. Let them know you or someone at home is high risk?

When ui folks reach out to the employer to confirm your work status, that employer is gonna tell them you requested to be laid off due to risk....... guess what, that disqualifies you for ui also.
You must be willing and able to work and actively seeking work at all times to collect ui.
A friend collecting ui was fined by ui because she got sick and ended up in the hospital. She was unable to look for work while in the hospital. This happened after she qualified for ui. She continued to file while in the hospital.
Not sure if she told on herself or if she was unable to provide back up that she was seeking work while sick. UI found out she was in the hospital collecting ui for that week. They stopped her ui and forced her to pay back the whole 2 months of ui she collected because its considered fraud if you are sick and collected. Being sick means you are not able to work and you are instead disabled and should seek disability, not ui.
She had to get a ui lawyer.
They worked something out. In the end all she had to do was not claim ui for the week she was in the hospital.
So you have to be careful with the whole "get laid off" or "just quit" comments, even tho it was prolly a joke.

Oct 25, 2017
When ui folks reach out to the employer to confirm your work status, that employer is gonna tell them you requested to be laid off due to risk....... guess what, that disqualifies you for ui also.
You must be willing and able to work and actively seeking work at all times to collect ui.
A friend collecting ui was fined by ui because she got sick and ended up in the hospital. She was unable to look for work while in the hospital. This happened after she qualified for ui. She continued to file while in the hospital.
Not sure if she told on herself or if she was unable to provide back up that she was seeking work while sick. UI found out she was in the hospital collecting ui for that week. They stopped her ui and forced her to pay back the whole 2 months of ui she collected because its considered fraud if you are sick and collected. Being sick means you are not able to work and you are instead disabled and should seek disability, not ui.
She had to get a ui lawyer.
They worked something out. In the end all she had to do was not claim ui for the week she was in the hospital.
So you have to be careful with the whole "get laid off" or "just quit" comments, even tho it was prolly a joke.

I'm pretty sure that's all out the window right now. They are processing so many applications right now. Plus, I think it's part of the bill that's the topic of this thread.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's all out the window right now. They are processing so many applications right now. Plus, I think it's part of the bill that's the topic of this thread.
Dont think so, helped a few friends file for ui last week and at least here in NY they are still asking and telling you that you need to be willing and able to work and actively seeking work.
The only mention of Coronavirus was when it asked if they were laid off due to the virus.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dont think so, helped a few friends file for ui last week and at least here in NY they are still asking and telling you that you need to be willing and able to work and actively seeking work.
The only mention of Coronavirus was when it asked if they were laid off due to the virus.

Everything changes after the bill is passed and signed into law.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

This is because the bill isn't passed yet.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is a good point of being sick and not being able to declare unemployment (because you're not actively looking). Is there a provision for that?

Yes there is, I'd recommend everyone click through and look at the summary. No paywall for corona coverage, but you do have to sign in with google, Facebook or Apple logins.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish people would stop saying this. It is literally the attitude Republicans were afraid of when they tried to amend it to make it worse. Luckily that failed. But, if this attitude remains pervasive among the public, it guarantees they are going to put their foot down and the next bill will not take care of people as much.
Actually, it's you playing into the Republican's hands if you fault someone for wanting the option that nets them the most money.

It's highly likely that many people feel this way because our federal minimum wage is shit at $7.25 and the boosted unemployment benefits equal to about $15/hr, which is more than double

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, it's you playing into the Republican's hands if you fault someone for wanting the option that nets them the most money.

It's highly likely that many people feel this way because our federal minimum wage is shit at $7.25 and the boosted unemployment benefits equal to about $15/hr, which is more than double

Again, I get the desire for people wanting things to be better for them. But, the reality is that what is going to happen is it will get worse for others, not better for them. Republicans are in control of our country. We aren't some how convincing them to raise minimum wage out of this pandemic. In a couple of months when the next bill rolls around, they are going to get on Fox News and talk about how many people have been wanting unemployment because they gave too much of a hand out. Their base will agree, and then the next bill will be worse for unemployed people. That is the reality.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, damn.
You have to check with your state. Some states have already started to take on non-traditional UI claims.
Sucks that this is such a minefield that millions are having to navigate right now.

yeah...shit sucks. I'm in GA, one of the states moving the slowest with a response even though our rate is getting massive. I doubt they'll be taking them yet but I'll look into it. Thanks

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
yeah...shit sucks. I'm in GA, one of the states moving the slowest with a response even though our rate is getting massive. I doubt they'll be taking them yet but I'll look into it. Thanks
Honestly the Mayor of ATL been forcing Kemp to look somewhat compentent because she been handling it so well making him look like crap

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
Helping my sister to file with Turbotax, why doesn't it let her select a payment date beyond the 4-15 deadline?

Oct 25, 2017
So my sister (who voted for Trump), while not against this bill, was openly wondering how we were going to pay for it. She made the (in her eyes rhetorical) comment of what are we going to do, just print up the money. I was like, "yeah, basically." Her response was how are we going to back that money. I then spent the next 10 minutes explaining the concept of a fiat money system and how US currency hasn't been backed by gold (even partially) since 1971.

She really didn't have a response to my explanation.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the Mayor of ATL been forcing Kemp to look somewhat compentent because she been handling it so well making him look like crap

Yeah Keisha's got her issues, but she's 10 times more competent than mini-Trump-fuqboi Kemp. She's actually taking this seriously. Wish more than ever we had Abrams right now. Her and Keisha together would have probably had a really strong response to this.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I get the desire for people wanting things to be better for them. But, the reality is that what is going to happen is it will get worse for others, not better for them. Republicans are in control of our country. We aren't some how convincing them to raise minimum wage out of this pandemic. In a couple of months when the next bill rolls around, they are going to get on Fox News and talk about how many people have been wanting unemployment because they gave too much of a hand out. Their base will agree, and then the next bill will be worse for unemployed people. That is the reality.

Problem is while some fall into that loophole, a large number are making 200 a week or less. With the added food needs, and with rent/utilities not being suspended, it will hard for them to live let alone buy things to keep the economy stable. The only way to encourage people to go buy things is to make sure they have more than enough money to buy things. That's the point, to stimulate, distance yourself, but keep buying things so that Capitalism can keep going.

I agree tho, this should have some sort of incentive for businesses who pay their employees more during the pandemic. So that more would.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what happens if I get a check based on my 2018 returns then send in my 2019 returns that show I made too much money?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think that wouldn't be their talking point even without the increased unemployment money?

They are totally going to try to blame the unemployment numbers on relaxed unemployment requirements whether the people on it get $600 extra or not.

The fact that poor people have even a chance to get help urks a lot of these bastards.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I use to get back about 1k now I owe almost 2k in taxes I don't make a lot I make barley pays for rent. Car payment the 1.2 wouldn't even pay the taxes I owe

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, holy shit. Massie committed political suicide.

He was already in Trump's crosshairs because he voted for the Iran war powers resolution against Trump. I think he picked up a primary challenger due to this.

www.courier-journal.com

A Kentucky Republican breaks ranks on Iran war powers resolution vote

Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky broke rank with most Republicans in voting Thursday for a resolution to curb Trump's ability to wage war with Iran.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing to remember about the added "600$" Theres no guarantee for your job in any of this. Your business may go bankrupt in the next 4 months, or they may decide when it's all over to not rehire you. There may not be a job waiting for a lot of people when this is over.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if I get a check based on my 2018 returns then send in my 2019 returns that show I made too much money?

If your income has jumped year over year from where you qualified for some amount last year, but no longer qualify this year, then you will pay that back in the taxes you file in 2021. Think of it as a no-interest loan from the Feds in that case.

Take the check and dump it into your risky investment vehicle of choice, maybe you'll pick a winner and come out on top.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
GA resident but I'm riding this out elsewhere to be with family - Kemp's utter incompetence makes me fearful of how bad things could get in ATL/GA.

Thankfully, as noted above, Mayor Bottoms has been using her leverage to try to make some right moves, but Kemp's stubbornness is going to cost us all time, money, and lives.
www.ajc.com

AJC IN-DEPTH: Kemp urges Georgians to heed virus warnings but balks at drastic steps

As the death toll from coronavirus mounted, Gov. Brian Kemp pleaded with Georgians during a Thursday statewide televised event to stay home and practice social distancing even as he stressed more drastic measures weren’t yet needed to stem the disease’s spread.
His do-nothing attitude about all this is just infuriating.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So my sister (who voted for Trump), while not against this bill, was openly wondering how we were going to pay for it. She made the (in her eyes rhetorical) comment of what are we going to do, just print up the money. I was like, "yeah, basically." Her response was how are we going to back that money. I then spent the next 10 minutes explaining the concept of a fiat money system and how US currency hasn't been backed by gold (even partially) since 1971.

She really didn't have a response to my explanation.

In this case, though, the money is coming from the federal budget, not increasing the money supply from the Federal reserve. Of course, it's all related, but this spending package will be paid for via borrowing and will (hypothetically) be paid down over time through tax revenue.

But yeah, most people who ask "How will we pay for it???" don't really care what the answer is. They're making a point, not asking a question.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Goddamnit, imagine if Trump applied the same power of the bully pulpit to things like Ventillators, masks, and test kits, as he does economic stimulus.

He has a rare opportunity among presidents in that his cultish devotion actually enables him to dramatically affect something in a positive way, but, alas, if it doesn't affect his hotels he doesn't care.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Massie is going to force a delay:

I swore an oath to uphold the constitution, and I take that oath seriously. In a few moments I will request a vote on the CARES Act which means members of Congress will vote on it by pushing "yes" or "no" or "present."

The Constitution requires that a quorum of members be present to conduct business in the House. Right now, millions of essential, working-class Americans are still required to go to work during this pandemic such as manufacturing line workers, healthcare professionals, pilots, grocery clerks, cooks/chefs, delivery drivers, auto mechanics, and janitors (to name just a few). Is it too much to ask that the House do its job, just like the Senate did?

I am not delaying the bill like Nancy Pelosi did last week. The bill that was worked on in the Senate late last week was much better before Speaker Pelosi showed up to destroy it and add days and days to the process.

This bill should have been voted on much sooner in both the Senate and House and it shouldn't be stuffed full of Nancy Pelosi's pork – including $25 million for the Kennedy Center, grants for the National Endowment for the Humanities and Arts, and millions more other measures that have no direct relation to the Coronavirus Pandemic.

That $25 million, for example, should go directly to purchasing test kits. The number one priority of this bill should have been to expand testing availability and creation of tests so that every American, not just the wealthy and privileged, have access to testing. We have shut down the world's economy without adequate data. Everyone, even those with no symptoms, needs immediate access to a test. This bill creates even more secrecy around a Federal Reserve that still refuses to be audited. It allows the Federal Reserve to make decisions about who gets what, how much money we'll print. With no transparency.

If getting us into $6 trillion more debt doesn't matter, then why are we not getting $350 trillion more in debt so that we can give a check of $1 million to every person in the country?

This stimulus should go straight to the people rather than being funneled through banks and corporations like this bill is doing. 2 trillion divided by 150 million workers is about $13,333.00 per person. That's much more than the $1,200 per person check authorized by this bill.

It's total gibberish to anyone with even a passing knowledge of civics and economics.