• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Vote doesn't need to be unanimous right? I've been counting my chickens here.

Yes and no. It'll happen, so I wouldn't worry about that. It has to be unanimous to happen quickly and without over exposing House members by forcing them to be there in person. If it's not unanimous, they have to all get together and vote, and it will pass, just not as quickly.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Hypothetical question. I work 2 jobs, if I was laid off from one but not the other, could I still collect unemployment?

I'm a little concerned because my well-paying job (full-time) is not essential, things are good now and I can work from home, but you never know what could happen. While the other job (part-time) is pretty poor paying, but is basically guaranteed as long as I need it. I just don't want to get into a situation where I doom myself and get stuck with only the low paying job and no option for unemployment.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
You know you're a real asshole when you're bringing even Trump and Democrats together on an issue over your stupidity.

Last edited:

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massie should be arrested. What he is doing is worse than many crimes people have spent decades in prison for. He is truly evil.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Who da fuck is John Kerry? And where was he in 2004?
Kerry's always had an underappreciated snark/dry wit. He got in trouble in 06 for saying "if you don't go to school and get an education, you wind up in Iraq," implying the soldiers were uneducated (his PR claimed he meant to say "you wind up getting us stuck in Iraq" as a dig at Bush).

Also, this legendary article, which I never figured out if it was satire or not, though upon revisiting I'm siding with "not":

Q: Tell us your favorite joke.

A: On the advice of my attorney, my family and every member of my staff, I am no longer allowed to tell jokes.
Q: When's the last time you used profanity?

A: Sh—, good question. Election Night 2004 comes to mind. Truth is, when I was a kid and my dad was stationed in Cold War Germany, even then the first foreign words I learned were swear words, so I'm embarrassed to say I have deep roots in this area.
Q: What is your favorite body part (on yourself) and why?

A: My face has been compared to New Hampshire's "Old Man in the Mountain" (before it fell), and I've been called Lurch from "The Addams Family," so there's not a lot to choose from, but I'd have to go with my better-than-Rod-Blagojevich hair.
Q: Bonus Round: Who would win in a street fight, Pat Buchanan or John McLaughlin?

A: Trust me, we'd all be winners in that scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Honestly the bill sucks, it's means tested shit. Just give everyone money regardless of income or if they worked or not. It's not hard. And it needs to be more than $1,200. Do like 3 payments for $2,200 or something real

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
Kerry's always had an underappreciated snark/dry wit. He got in trouble in 06 for saying "if you don't go to school and get an education, you wind up in Iraq," implying the soldiers were uneducated (his PR claimed he meant to say "you wind up getting us stuck in Iraq" as a dig at Bush).
I kid, but I hate every second we have an R president.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly the bill sucks, it's means tested shit. Just give everyone money regardless of income or if they worked or not. It's not hard. And it needs to be more than $1,200. Do like 3 payments for $2,200 or something real
Is this taking into account the massively expanded unemployment payouts? Wouldn't that more directly help those that have actually lost jobs or had hours reduced?

Yes, this bill could be better, but I don't think it's bad at all - except for the usual corporate carve outs.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I kid, but I hate every second we have an R president.
Really hammers home how stupid the "it's a popularity contest" aspect of it all is. Whatever gripes one may have with Gore, Kerry or Hillary for being boring or uninspiring, or how they ran their campaigns, anyone looking at those elections rationally (especially with the hindsight of how their Republican opponents ended up governing) should recognize they were absolutely the superior choice in just about every way.

Hell, of all the Democratic nominees we've had since Clinton, I'd say Kerry would have made the best president (purely in terms of technocratic ability at performing the day-to-day functions of the job) and he's the only one who actually lost the popular vote.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bullshit they want to give cruise lines that are foreign owned and pay no taxes a bailout, but refuse to help undocumented people who have a tax id and do pay taxes

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's bullshit they want to give cruise lines that are foreign owned and pay no taxes a bailout, but refuse to help undocumented people who have a tax id and do pay taxes
I read that's not the case.
thehill.com

Cruise lines excluded from Senate’s $2 trillion stimulus bill

Major cruise lines, several of whom saw the first outbreaks of coronavirus on their ships, will likely not see a dime of the $2 trillion stimulus package the Senate passed late Wednesday night.&nbs…

Oct 25, 2017
Massie isn't wrong that this bill is trash, his reasonings arent great, but with senate repubs wanting to make sure corporate money gets handed, we dont exactly have the luxury of time, or ever committal, on creating a decent bill. The unemployment extensions are needed immediately.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Man, what a broken system. One guy can torpedo stuff just like that.

We are really seeing the cracks in our government in real-time.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
We didn't claw back overpays of refunds in 2008.

Why does everyone think we will this time?

AFAIK no regulation/clarification has been issued yet stating that. The bill doesn't have language about that (unless I missed it when I read the text.)

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, as noted above, Mayor Bottoms has been using her leverage to try to make some right moves, but Kemp's stubbornness is going to cost us all time, money, and lives.
www.ajc.com

AJC IN-DEPTH: Kemp urges Georgians to heed virus warnings but balks at drastic steps

As the death toll from coronavirus mounted, Gov. Brian Kemp pleaded with Georgians during a Thursday statewide televised event to stay home and practice social distancing even as he stressed more drastic measures weren’t yet needed to stem the disease’s spread.
His do-nothing attitude about all this is just infuriating.

I see this guy on tv even last night and still can't believe he won after those stupid ads on his porch with his double barrel shotgun and his "daughters boyfriend."