• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
It looks like SSI recipients aren't who they're talking about with that statement. They've fallen through the cracks until they tell us how the IRS will work out people on SSI since they have no tax information, not even the 1099's like SSDI recipients do.
Oh okay, I get what you're saying now; my problem is that I keep wrongfully interchanging SSI and Social Security even though they're 2 different programs.

Why does the government have to make the Stimulus payment so complicated and vague.. 🤦🏽‍

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I understand correctly, people with SSDI will qualify and get it automatically, but people with SSI may-or-may not? Or rather, you'll need to file additional information once that's made available for SSI people?

This... is really confusing.

I'm on SSDI (didn't work, but qualify under my father, so my situation's a bit unique), so I won't need to do anything further, correct?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So if I understand correctly, people with SSDI will qualify and get it automatically, but people with SSI may-or-may not? Or rather, you'll need to file additional information once that's made available for SSI people?

This... is really confusing.

I'm on SSDI (didn't work, but qualify under my father, so my situation's a bit unique), so I won't need to do anything further, correct?

If you get a 1099 every year, then you shouldn't have to do anything.

For people on SSI, the only advice I can give is to try to be patient and wait until the situation is clarified.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked on my Social Security file online, since couldn't find the form immediately on hand. I have a SSA-1099. That would be it, right?

Yep. You should get it direct deposited if they have that info, and if not you'll get a paper check. But you shouldn't have to do anything.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Now that people that receive Social Security benefits don't have to file they need to go and do the same with SSI and VA pension recipients. There's zero reason except GOP shittiness that they're seemingly going to be forced to do tax returns that's just going to further delay these payments.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm not well versed in what Forms: SSA-1099 and RRB-1099 are, but just to clarify, if my only income in 2019 was SSI do I need to do anything or fill out any forms?
How was your SSI reported to you?

that's not the issue I'm having. I am qualified as of right now, because the amended return has not gone through yet. I am not claimed as dependent. Once that amended return goes through, I will be dependent. Deposits will be sent out before my amended return is processed.
So if on the latest returns, your mom claimed you as dependent, and you filed as not dependent originally and now am amending...

If the amended return doesn't go through and get processed (right now I doubt it will because you filed a paper copy), you'll probably get the credit tbh unless the IRS implements a system matching claimed dependents to their own returns to verify before sending out checks.

I don't know if you'll have to pay it back, though. Unlike people who would qualify in 2019 but not 2020 based on income levels, getting it as a dependent wrongfully filing not dependent is not an income issue. It's an issue with incorrect filing. It's possible that when they process your amended return they could say that due to an error in your status, you wrongfully received the credit (again, not based on income), and make you pay it back. Totally hypothetical. I'm not 100% sure.

I'll pass this onto her, thank you! No chance of IRS auditing based on a weird $1 filing? lol

TBH it's not likely, because it'd cost the government way more money to go after her for a $1 than any actual income tax effect.

I advocate people correctly reporting income, of course, but generally reporting more on your return than you actually made/received is going to cause way less issues with the IRS than the other way around.

April 13th would be REALLY fast for the IRS imho.

Just checked on my Social Security file online, since couldn't find the form immediately on hand. I have a SSA-1099. That would be it, right?

Like others said, yes.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington Post has reported that Direct Deposit payments start on April 9th, next Thursday (which makes some sense, as I believe that the IRS makes it's payments on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Now there's two slightly different dates given:

The IRS says that payments start on the 9th and folks that do direct deposit will get it on or near (depending on how fast your bank processes stuff) April 9th, with the latest being April 14th.

The Treasury Dept made another statement saying released on the 9th, but most would get it (if using direct deposit) no later than April 17th.

In sum, it looks like the wide range of dates is to account for people's different banking situations. For example, if someone decides to sign up through the IRS' new direct deposit sign up website, it will take more time for them to verify that it is in fact you who is the owner of the account, and not some fraud scheme. This is typical, as with making electronic transfers (whether to receive direct deposit from your job, or just to transfer to someone else's account) it usually take a few days for everything to be verified (again, this is for very necessary safety reasons). This is doubly so if you are using a pre-paid debit card like through Netspend or something- they want to check that you are the account holder. As such, you won't get your money right away.

So if you are someone who just signed up for direct deposit, and the IRS has never made a direct deposit to you before, the time to verify you means you'll get it probably between April 13th through April 17th. Seeing as how the IRS allegedly releases stuff on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you'll get it in your account on either April 14th or April 16th.

If the IRS already has your banking info, and they have made a direct deposit to you before, you'll get it in your account either April 9th, or April 14th. Maybe the 16th if you're unlucky.

So next week or a little beyond that for most of us. Hope this helps put some folks here at ease.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the IRS puts up it's direct deposit sign up site, she'd have to re-up her new banking info. If all the IRS has is a closed account on file, then she won't get direct deposit, she'll get a paper check in the mail. And those don't get started mailed out until Late April earliest, and that'd for the poorest folks first.

I'd recommend she checks the IRS' website every day next week, and wait for the new signup link. Do it that way.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Unfortunately my girlfriend was declined training benefits. I think she will be able to get the 13 weeks added in the stimulus, but after that she has no safety net.

Not sure if i should use my stimulus to pay off last years taxes or part of my credit card.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
SwordsmanofS Thanks for the info!

The subdepartment saying 9th to 14th, the overall department saying 9th to 17th...seems like April 9th is the magic number.

I'm going to be shocked if people signing up with a direct deposit website get theirs within two weeks from now unless that site goes up like ...Monday.

Honestly all these dates strike me as really optimistic. Not because the IRS hasn't been able to process refunds quickly, but because COVID has closed SO many IRS offices and a lot of people are working remotely now. Seems like this would be harder to coordinate and manage.

We'll see. It'll be nice if people can start getting paid so soon though. I hope so.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Washington Post has reported that Direct Deposit payments start on April 9th, next Thursday (which makes some sense, as I believe that the IRS makes it's payments on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Now there's two slightly different dates given:

The IRS says that payments start on the 9th and folks that do direct deposit will get it on or near (depending on how fast your bank processes stuff) April 9th, with the latest being April 14th.

The Treasury Dept made another statement saying released on the 9th, but most would get it (if using direct deposit) no later than April 17th.

In sum, it looks like the wide range of dates is to account for people's different banking situations. For example, if someone decides to sign up through the IRS' new direct deposit sign up website, it will take more time for them to verify that it is in fact you who is the owner of the account, and not some fraud scheme. This is typical, as with making electronic transfers (whether to receive direct deposit from your job, or just to transfer to someone else's account) it usually take a few days for everything to be verified (again, this is for very necessary safety reasons). This is doubly so if you are using a pre-paid debit card like through Netspend or something- they want to check that you are the account holder. As such, you won't get your money right away.

So if you are someone who just signed up for direct deposit, and the IRS has never made a direct deposit to you before, the time to verify you means you'll get it probably between April 13th through April 17th. Seeing as how the IRS allegedly releases stuff on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you'll get it in your account on either April 14th or April 16th.

If the IRS already has your banking info, and they have made a direct deposit to you before, you'll get it in your account either April 9th, or April 14th. Maybe the 16th if you're unlucky.

So next week or a little beyond that for most of us. Hope this helps put some folks here at ease.
Thanks for the info, hopefully I get it on the 9th, that's the same day I get my first unemployment payment.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SwordsmanofS Thanks for the info!

The subdepartment saying 9th to 14th, the overall department saying 9th to 17th...seems like April 9th is the magic number.

I'm going to be shocked if people signing up with a direct deposit website get theirs within two weeks from now unless that site goes up like ...Monday.

Honestly all these dates strike me as really optimistic. Not because the IRS hasn't been able to process refunds quickly, but because COVID has closed SO many IRS offices and a lot of people are working remotely now. Seems like this would be harder to coordinate and manage.

We'll see. It'll be nice if people can start getting paid so soon though. I hope so.
If you filed this year or last year, I imagine it's not too difficult to get this. The vast majority of US adults are going to qualify for this, and the folks who are already in the system are going to get it first. Like they already have your info in the system (single, married, how many kids) so a basic program (something they probably already have) can sort folks out.

Since this date was announced on the 2nd, I imagine they spent the week determining logistics and dates. For folks like you and me, we should have it in the next ten days. For folks who have to give the IRS their direct deposit info, there could (will) be some delay. But still get it in April. Probably.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Thankfully, the student loan websites have (all?) updated and reflect the changes in the law. Additionally, any payment made (autopay or otherwise) between March 30th and Sept 30th can be refunded. Autopay processed my payment on the 23rd so I'm definitely asking for a refund.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, the student loan websites have (all?) updated and reflect the changes in the law. Additionally, any payment made (autopay or otherwise) between March 30th and Sept 30th can be refunded. Autopay processed my payment on the 23rd so I'm definitely asking for a refund.
Since March 13th, actually. Need to call though.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The sites say Mar 13, but if you call and talk to the reps, they say March 5th. I called not long ago.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess we will find out between tomorrow and Monday if Unemployment funds has changed. Here's hoping.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
For my fellow NJ UI people they have added some info to their FAQ on their website.

The $600 additional is not going to be part of the normal amount you claim it's added separately. They will give it out sometime next week but not necessarily when you claim your weekly benefits. It is also going to be back dated to 3/29 so it should be a $1200 first payment.

The additional 13 weeks isn't going to be added automatically you have to apply for it. They don't have a system in place yet to do so but they will send out an email link when they do.

Oct 26, 2017
No, nor their phone systems. These things were designed to frustrate applicants.

The times I'm able to get logged in my case is still pending. Although it states my identity isn't verified. But of course the phone number you're provided either gives you a message or disconnects on you. Fifty calls a day and I can't get an answer.

Strangely it says for me to check on the 6th to apply for the next week's benefits but I have no idea what the true status is. Super cool.

Ranvier

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered. For the small business grant, does anyone with an LLC get a free 10k or are there some rules and stipulations to it?

RedVanguard

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I did my 2019 return and had it deposited into two accounts (checking and savings), does anyone know how the IRS will make the stimulus check deposit into multiple accounts?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
For my fellow NJ UI people they have added some info to their FAQ on their website.

The $600 additional is not going to be part of the normal amount you claim it's added separately. They will give it out sometime next week but not necessarily when you claim your weekly benefits. It is also going to be back dated to 3/29 so it should be a $1200 first payment.

The additional 13 weeks isn't going to be added automatically you have to apply for it. They don't have a system in place yet to do so but they will send out an email link when they do.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to let my dad know, he's been asking.

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. My work furloughed me on the 24th and told us, specifically, to file for unemployment. They told us multiple times. So I did (Nebraska) and selected COVID-19 as the reason. It was reviewed and I got an email saying I am eligible, so I figured that was that.

It just updated today to say "Separation reason mismatch " under unresolved issues. Does that mean my work told them something different? I don't even know why they updated it today, I didn't think they were working on a Saturday.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. My work furloughed me on the 24th and told us, specifically, to file for unemployment. They told us multiple times. So I did (Nebraska) and selected COVID-19 as the reason. It was reviewed and I got an email saying I am eligible, so I figured that was that.

It just updated today to say "Separation reason mismatch " under unresolved issues. Does that mean my work told them something different? I don't even know why they updated it today, I didn't think they were working on a Saturday.
In LA the site is showing "unresolved issues" for virtually everyone I know but so far everyone, including myself, has been paid. These sites tend to be ancient and poorly run so I wouldn't worry too much about it right away. It's likely that they just don't have the site set to accept covid as a reason so it throws that error up despite accepting the claim. Of course if you haven't seen the benefits after a week or two I'd call them

For clarity's sake; I filed and was accepted but didn't actually get paid until about 10 days had passed

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I did my 2019 return and had it deposited into two accounts (checking and savings), does anyone know how the IRS will make the stimulus check deposit into multiple accounts?

From what I understand, if you chose multiple accounts, you'll get a paper check mailed to the address on your last filed return.

You can sign up on the IRS direct deposit website (still TBA) to avoid that, though.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Still "Awaiting federal guidance" here in Massachusetts.
No $600 or extension on my weeks remaining. Bummer. Could really use some good news.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere I can update my direct deposit information? I filed my taxes but forgot to add my direct deposit information.

Edit: Nevermind, I see 2 posts above me that a website to do that through the IRS is still TBA.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Still "Awaiting federal guidance" here in Massachusetts.
No $600 or extension on my weeks remaining. Bummer. Could really use some good news.
We're usually ahead of the curve with this stuff, so I'm sure we are getting fucked from beyond.

I applied and got denied for regular unemployment in MA (didn't have enough wages earned to qualify since I only been employed just over 6 months) it's been frustrating how long it's taken for them to impliment the CARES act stuff since I SHOULD qualify under that act since I was laid off due to my store closing due to the virus and the CARES act extended eligibility to those who haven't earned enough wages needed for regular unemployment. Plus the info page on the MA site doesn't even specify if there will be a separate application or how/if those who applied for regular UI but got denied will even be able to re-apply under CARES act expansion stuff. It's frustrating to have no idea what's going on and having no income.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
My dad said Federally they're withholding the $600 extra? Didn't really have details on it. Any info on that?