• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Got myself a situation, any advice would be really helpful ERA:

Company has started to furlough a bunch of workers without a choice. Tomorrow, however, I expect to be given a choice since I have a friend higher up who let me know some of us will be getting this choice. Here are my choices:

1) Stay and work, but I'd go from salary to hourly. I would be paid $30/hr, so after two weeks (biweekly paid, 40hrs x2) that'd be $2400 BEFORE taxes. My normal salary is 2850 before taxes, so its a $400 pay cut. After taxes and withholdings (in Cali), I'd expect my take home to be around $1700. My workload is expected to become significantly more stressful to cover for the people that were furloughed, and I'd be unsure how the work etc would be played out since we'd have to do telehealth and my line of work (behavior therapy) does not make that an easy transition.

2) Choose to be furloughed, up to May 1st. Apply for unemployment, expect to get the cali 450 + hopefully the 600 fed help. So after 2 weeks, that'd be 2100, not far off from the hourly pay cut they're gonna offer. The cons are I'm not sure how quickly that 600 will be doled out (will it be retroactive to when my furlough started?). The May 1st return date may be extended if the stay at home lasts longer, but unemployment goes for 4 months right? Also, how much is withheld for unemployment, what would be my take-home roughly? Also, what happens to my health insurance? Currently 130 gets withheld for health + dental + vision insurance. COBRA might be pricy? Pro's is a maybe some relaxation from the stressful past 2 weeks of trying to set everything up for it to come crashing down today for everyone in the company. I'm lucky to still live at home so rent etc is not a concern.

Really struggling to choose one. Any advice would be really helpful, might repost if I don't get a response lol.
better to keep working you'd probably go crazy like me with nothing to do. tho if stuff gets worse i would ask to be laid off. we need therapists still especially now and you'd be contributing alot to everyone's mental health. Also dont forget about the payroll tax cut so most likely you'd be getting paid a larger amount.
edit: whoopsie payrolls on employer soooo idk your call on that.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The intention of the boosted Unemployment is not go hog wild with it at all. The 1200 Check is the go wild with money. Boosted Unemployment is because Unemployment pays shit compared to actual wages. Someone losing their 40 hour a week job at $15 an hour is not going to survive on a Max of $240 a week for instance. In states where Republicans generally rule and $7.25 is the minimum wage sure some will benefit a ton. In other states the 600 will be essential lifeline money

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
When they say, "If you've filed"...is this determined automatically? Will we have to refile or send proof of something to receive the relief money?

Res

Oct 25, 2017
As an unemployed university student I'm assuming I won't benefit from this at all

OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Got myself a situation, any advice would be really helpful ERA:

Company has started to furlough a bunch of workers without a choice. Tomorrow, however, I expect to be given a choice since I have a friend higher up who let me know some of us will be getting this choice. Here are my choices:

1) Stay and work, but I'd go from salary to hourly. I would be paid $30/hr, so after two weeks (biweekly paid, 40hrs x2) that'd be $2400 BEFORE taxes. My normal salary is 2850 before taxes, so its a $400 pay cut. After taxes and withholdings (in Cali), I'd expect my take home to be around $1700. My workload is expected to become significantly more stressful to cover for the people that were furloughed, and I'd be unsure how the work etc would be played out since we'd have to do telehealth and my line of work (behavior therapy) does not make that an easy transition.

2) Choose to be furloughed, up to May 1st. Apply for unemployment, expect to get the cali 450 + hopefully the 600 fed help. So after 2 weeks, that'd be 2100, not far off from the hourly pay cut they're gonna offer. The cons are I'm not sure how quickly that 600 will be doled out (will it be retroactive to when my furlough started?). The May 1st return date may be extended if the stay at home lasts longer, but unemployment goes for 4 months right? Also, how much is withheld for unemployment, what would be my take-home roughly? Also, what happens to my health insurance? Currently 130 gets withheld for health + dental + vision insurance. COBRA might be pricy? Pro's is a maybe some relaxation from the stressful past 2 weeks of trying to set everything up for it to come crashing down today for everyone in the company. I'm lucky to still live at home so rent etc is not a concern.

Really struggling to choose one. Any advice would be really helpful, might repost if I don't get a response lol.
I wouldn't expect the expanded UI payments to be deployed quickly. One of the republican talking points against it was that the UI system wasn't designed to scale up so quickly and expanding it would take time. California might be eager to do it, but they're still likely working with a reduced department cause of the pandemic at a period where they're receiving more claims than any other that's about to go even higher with the claims of all the newly eligible people....

The $600 fed bonus is capped at 4 months, the state UI caps at 39 weeks with this bill I believe.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Never filed taxes before as I just got a job last year. If I file for 2019 tomorrow will I still get the money or would that go to my parents who claimed me as a dependent in 2018?

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
It should be retroactive. There was a January date in the bill somewhere.

Taxes can either be taken out now or at the end of the year. It will be taxed as normal income.

Really appreciate the info, thank you!

better to keep working you'd probably go crazy like me with nothing to do. tho if stuff gets worse i would ask to be laid off. we need therapists still especially now and youd be contributing alot ot everyone's mental health. Also dont forget about the payroll tax cut so most likely you'd be getting paid a larger amount.

Fortunately I can exercise at home, and have a couple of hobbies to keep me busy. Pretty good at being a home body when needed. Unfortunately I don't work directly with mental health per se (e.g. stress, depression, anxiety etc). That type of telehealth I definitely see as beneficial, and I would continue my work if that were the case. Not to get too long, but my work is more different and I can see a lot of clients not benefiting from a telehealth model exactly, and I can see clients dropping out or preferring to wait it out. Part of the stress would be figuring out how to approach the model and making it productive (when some clients can be fine without it for a month).
Thank you for your advice tho, it's definitely something to consider, and I really appreciate it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Never filed taxes before as I just got a job last year. If I file for 2019 tomorrow will I still get the money or would that go to my parents who claimed me as a dependent in 2018?
Won't go to your parents unless you were under 17. File if you're ready--they haven't specified alternatives yet.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you!

So how does it work? I know you have to list your income, but do you have to break it down by clients or just your own business?
It's different per state. I didn't have to put down how much I made here in Jersey, as an old job was just listed there. Seemed easier going that route. Clicked that and now I'm pending approval. I assume I'll get rolled over into the federal package as well if I'm approved. If I'm not approved, I'm refiling with my last few months of freelance work. In that case, I would just be sending them bank statements.

Sep 14, 2019
Save the money if you can, this stuff could last a year.

Yup. I'm going to tell my parents to defer their mortgage payments as much as they can and try to save as much as we can because the way things are going in the US, this is going to last more than a month and who knows what's going to happen to their jobs, considering one of them does gig work full time.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Thank you!

So how does it work? I know you have to list your income, but do you have to break it down by clients or just your own business? And if I get a small $ job, does that fuck it up? I am talking a job for a grand or two here and there.
Check it out state by state. Some are lenient, others are more strict. Just follow the letter of the law and jump in the loopholes as you see fit.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's different per state. I didn't have to put down how much I made here in Jersey, as an old job was just listed there. Seemed easier going that route. Clicked that and now I'm pending approval. I assume I'll get rolled over into the federal package as well if I'm approved. If I'm not approved, I'm refiling with my last few months of freelance work. In that case, I would just be sending them bank statements.
Check it out state by state. Some are lenient, others are more strict. Just follow the letter of the law and jump in the loopholes as you see fit.
Aces, thank you both.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still technically employed but on a zero hour schedule this entire month and will be at least through may now that the store I work at is closed. Stinks I don't qualify for unemployment as I'm not laid off or technically furloughed but still completely out of work =/

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still technically employed but on a zero hour schedule this entire month and will be at least through may now that the store I work at is closed. Stinks I don't qualify for unemployment as I'm not laid off or technically furloughed but still completely out of work =/

Unemployment in a lot of states is for people with reduced hours too (and I imagine it'll be more so right now).

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Aces, thank you both.
giphy.gif

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I asked this way earlier but nobody answered me.

On March 25, 2020, ED announced that my wages would not be garnished, but money is still being taken from my paycheck. What should I do?

If your wages continue to be garnished after the president's March 13, 2020, announcement, you should contact your employer's human resources department. If ED receives funds from your paycheck that should have been stopped as a result of the March 13 announcement, we will refund your garnished wages.

Federal Student Aid

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, small time county bank. Supporting local business and all that jazz. Technology-wise they're usually on top of things, but I don't think remote-deposit is among their features yet...

Check and see. I have an account at a small bank and their website is awful and they support mobile deposit. I've only used the app like once and was very surprised to see it.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
On March 25, 2020, ED announced that my wages would not be garnished, but money is still being taken from my paycheck. What should I do?

If your wages continue to be garnished after the president's March 13, 2020, announcement, you should contact your employer's human resources department. If ED receives funds from your paycheck that should have been stopped as a result of the March 13 announcement, we will refund your garnished wages.

Federal Student Aid

This is actually really dope. I need this relief right now. Thanks.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
same for me, id make more right now on unemployment with these provisions, but this is a temporary thing and will help out a lot of people

an unemployment buff like this may not even last as long as the lockdowns last, depending on how the government handles things 4 months down the road
Yeah, not knowing whether or not this aid will last throughout the duration of the quarantine makes me somewhat glad I have stable work. Hopefully the government extends it if need be.
Yeah. Hurts a little knowing that I'd make waaaaay more if I was unemployed than I will be working my retail job. But of course, I'm still happy this is happening. Better that some people get a bunch extra than nobody.
Never thought I'd find a way to feel slighted at getting $1200 for free lol. Anyways, it's surprising that a deal that's actually beneficial managed to get passed. Great that the folks who need help are getting it.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how long unemployment takes to kick in? Haven't heard back since I filed last week. I'm in California so I do realize a million people or more have filed in little time.

OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
As an unemployed university student I'm assuming I won't benefit from this at all
Wrong! If you weren't claimed as a dependent you can claim the $1200 (you might need to file taxes with $0 income if you didn't bother filing them).

If you're willing to work, able to work, and actively looking for work then you also qualify for the expanded unemployment insurance for 4 months!
The bill includes funding for states that offer underemployment insurance and states that are willing to add it. Check your state unemployment rules to see if they offer it, if they don't then keep an eye on what your state will be doing after the bill is passed cause your state might begin offering it.

GundamBacon

Dec 6, 2017
I won't be filing for 2019, until near the July deadline & my 2018 filing didn't have any direct deposit info.

I guess they'll mail the check to the address on file (for 2018)? Or, it's likely they'll just wait to see if I file 2019, by the July deadline?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Killthee

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
How do I make sure this check comes to me, and not to the address I filed my 2018 taxes in?
Should be fine if you used direct deposit to get your refund.

Someone also mentioned that the irs has a site to update the address on file. I'd still go with filing your 2019 taxes though and maybe doing a usps mail forwarding request if you're worried though.

Update My Information | Internal Revenue Service

Notify the IRS of an address or name change to make sure the IRS can process your tax return, send your refund or contact you, if needed