• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds like a solid dude, if I scan his wiki page:

Booker gained national attention when, on December 28, 2010, a constituent used Twitter to ask him to send someone to her father's house to shovel his driveway because her elderly father was going to attempt to do it himself. Booker responded by tweeting, "I will do it myself; where does he live?" Other people volunteered, including one person who offered his help on Twitter, and 20 minutes later Booker and some volunteers showed up and shoveled the man's driveway.[54][55] On April 12, 2012, Booker saved a woman from a house fire, suffering smoke inhalation and second-degree burns on his hands in the process. Newark Fire Chief John Centanni said that Booker's actions possibly saved the woman's life.[56] After Hurricane Sandy destroyed much of the shoreline areas of New Jersey and New York in late October 2012, Booker invited Newarkers without power to eat and sleep in his home.[57] In February 2013, responding to a Twitter post, Booker helped a nervous constituent propose to his girlfriend.[58] Booker rescued a dog from freezing temperatures in January 2013 and another dog that had been abandoned in a cage in July 2013.[59][60]

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, at least provide some context instead of going for the lazy troll. This is from 2013 and he's on record saying he wouldn't fundraise with them now due to their actions SINCE 2013, not before it.
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...ret-fundraising-with-jared-kushner-and-ivanka

That's what I just linked to in a previous post, but the original Buzzfeed posting (not the Hill's re-post). Public image-wise, he went from shoveling people out of snowdrifts to the photo in a short amount of time. This will be used against him should he run for higher office (and no of course it doesn't disqualify him), but people should be aware.

To Pat_DC, I'm not downplaying what he is saying. I just remember being very disappointed that night when he could have said something, and didn't. I don't think he's being phony now, but back then speaking out might have made more of an impact.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That quote though, "hillary did it too!".

iUJy5rR.gif
That's not a quote dude. He said "Listen, I wouldn't take a dime from them now, but this was a time when they were Democrats," Booker said. "I mean, they were supporting Hillary Clinton, uh, and the Kushner family were big New Jersey Democrats, and really helped to fight against [Gov.] Chris Christie [(R)] and a lot of other folks."

Can we stop with the disingenuous bullshit please.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Nice speech, are people in this thread really complaining about his tone? It was fine and even if you found his performance "fake" or exaggerated, the content of his speech, the actual words of what he was saying was nothing but the truth and facts.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Nice speech, are people in this thread really complaining about his tone? It was fine and even if you found his performance "fake" or exaggerated, the content of his speech, the actual words of what he was saying was nothing but the truth and facts.
It's not the tone of his voice, fam.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
The left wing take down of Cory Booker is gonna start ramping up real soon....

Personally I think he's a solid guy who does actually want the best. Anything to get rid of Trump's America.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
A white woman rolls her eyes at a black senator for refusing to be interrupted by her, and the bulk of the criticism is on the black senator for simply being erudite.

Fuck me.

Can't attack the message, in any way, attack the person. Same shit happened to Hillary. Literally exactly the same.

"He might be running for office, so fuck everything he said because.... reasons."

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I like this speech and I did not feel like it was fake at all. I feel this is personal for him and he feels what I feel about Trump's leaning into Fascism and therefore his reactions were perfectly fine.

I know there are some that have problems with Booker but I think he'd make a fine president, even though he's not as Left as I'd like. I probably wouldn't vote for him in the primaries but he'll have my vote if he wins it (assuming he is going to run at all).

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a quote dude. He said "Listen, I wouldn't take a dime from them now, but this was a time when they were Democrats," Booker said. "I mean, they were supporting Hillary Clinton, uh, and the Kushner family were big New Jersey Democrats, and really helped to fight against [Gov.] Chris Christie [(R)] and a lot of other folks."

Can we stop with the disingenuous bullshit please.
I was paraphrasing. Relax. The link is there for everyone to read through.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I said damn.

I still feel trump saying what he said could be the tuning point.

At some point, republicans have to know trump is hurting them. They all need to just turn on him.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was paraphrasing. Relax. The link is there for everyone to read through.
I understand you were trying to paraphrase it but it was done in a way to make it seem like he was trying to put some kind of blame or something on her when he is really just pointing out how Ivanka & Jared fund raised for Hilary too years ago.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Oh and she may have rolled her eyes but by the end of it, her soul was snatched. I did enjoy seeing people like Graham not paying attention and fiddling with papers. He was probably very uncomfortable in that room for a lot of different reasons.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jeeze, guys, why don't some of you just call him an "uppity n*****" already and spare us the doublespeak.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you guys are coming at Cory Booker???

i mean he's a bit of a cheese ball but he definitely means what he says. and he's a gigantic step up from most other options.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just find it hilarious

*Cory Booker gives passionate speech*

"He's fake! He's just trying to run for higher office!"

*Bernie Sanders, who previously ran for higher office, gives passionate speech*

"Wow!! He's so passionate! He's sincere and he speaks to me!"

Like some of you guys just can't make it any more obvious. I mean, at least respect our intelligence and say what you really feel.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the sentiment is laudable but I can recognize acting when I see it. Especially at the end there.

Doesn't mean he didn't mean what he said but I get more inspired when the person giving the speech comes off natural.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If he was just performing for recognition, he did a good job.

I know it's easy to be jaded to the point we have to assume every politician is a big phony, and questioning if they're lying is certainly one thing, but seriously? Getting riled up is the fake part to get upset by? On a subject like this? Do people forget Bernie Sanders? Or shit, Obama? Do people forget MLK? What was he supposed to do, drone on about it in a droopy impersonation? You use emotional tones to emphasize important statements, especially on emotional subjects. Fuckin duh. What he did was utterly natural and genuine.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Fake or not (whatever that nonsense non argument is about) it's about time a Senator had the courage to really embarrass one of Trump's defenders like this. It has been months now of "I don't recall" answers and more bouts of amnesia than a goddamn JRPG with very few of the complaints about these answers really getting through. Booker's speech was well presented and absolutely brutal and was exactly what needed to be said, said in a way which will hopefully give it some staying power in the public conciousness.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So are there legitimate concerns about Booker from his policy stances and the like or just this "fake" nonsense?

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Part of the job of a Senator (or other legislator) is to use the prominence of their office to draw attention to issues they deem important. The fact that Booker is an effective and earnest public speaker is not a negative. Whether he has Presidential ambitions is beside the point.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If he was being fake or embellishing as some are saying here, I'd like to see a lot more senators be fake and embellished.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just find it hilarious

*Cory Booker gives passionate speech*

"He's fake! He's just trying to run for higher office!"

*Bernie Sanders, who previously ran for higher office, gives passionate speech*

"Wow!! He's so passionate! He's sincere and he speaks to me!"

Like some of you guys just can't make it any more obvious. I mean, at least respect our intelligence and say what you really feel.

I think it's incredibly naive to think Cory Booker wasn't grandstanding or not planning on running for president. And the responses here have been really bizarre and not really equal in degree to what was originally said. If you think I'm wrong (or anybody else that said similar comments) just say so. I said he comes off as insincere, and your general response is: "why don't you call him a uppity nigger like you want to". Wth? Where did that come from? Do you realize how odd and insulting that response is?

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Definitely nice to hear senators coming out and putting Trump on blast. I don't much about Booker, but I'm going to start finding out more if he's interested in running for POTUS. I think as a senator, part of what you do is PR--it's not just the message, but the presentation. Like others have said, though, I don't think it detracts from the message or diminishes the importance of saying what should (or needs to) be said.

I'd like to think I get what lmcfigs is saying though. Like if Booker is going to come out on this, he'd rather it be because it's something that Booker honestly believes and is passionate about, rather than just use this (currently topical) issue to further his own career. I don't know if there's anyway to really tell which is true, other than to look at their past actions and draw your own conclusions.

I'd like to believe it's real though.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
normally i find cory booker to be kind of insufferably self righteous but seeing as how trump is stacking various gov't positions with lackeys of questionable experience and values this dressing down is sorely needed.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think its the delivery. Which whatever, it's not like I'm gonna disagree with the substance of what he's saying. It strikes me like he's trying to make a viral clip. Like those weird pauses he takes in the beginning to make the last thing he said sound like the most important thing ever said, and it even had that crescendo where he starts relatively calm and escalates into outrage. The look she gives at 4:37 is basically my reaction. Like a little bit of "get a load of this guy".
Have you ever done public speaking? I take pauses and emphasize timing in some areas over others all the time when I pitch to my team, and I'm not doing it for a camera or anything else other than to do my thoughts and ideas justice by presenting them as clearly and engagingly as possible. It's both for myself and those listening, since helps me collect my thoughts before diving into another idea, and gives the audience time to absorb and ingest. It's a balancing act to organize thoughts, distribute said thoughts and remember that it must be listened to by an audience, and you'll notice it a common behavior amongst the best speakers.

Oh look, the purity testers are here. Anything else to contribute?

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's just a little too fake, elitist, and not down to earth enough for me. I like my politicians without ideals, passion, oratory skills, and good delivery.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are there legitimate concerns about Booker from his policy stances and the like or just this "fake" nonsense?
People vaguely say he will do and say anything, which is a generic criticism that doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean, Elizabeth Warren's signature position largely involves vaguely not liking banks without any coherent solution to the problem. I mean, in that sense I don't prefer her as a potential candidate, but it's not a deal breaker anymore than anything.

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I think its the delivery. Which whatever, it's not like I'm gonna disagree with the substance of what he's saying. It strikes me like he's trying to make a viral clip. Like those weird pauses he takes in the beginning to make the last thing he said sound like the most important thing ever said, and it even had that crescendo where he starts relatively calm and escalates into outrage. The look she gives at 4:37 is basically my reaction. Like a little bit of "get a load of this guy".

Seriously? I'm glad it was impassioned, it needed to be. Somebody has to speak up and make it count. Trump and the wave of hate he brought with him is unacceptable. Fuck that guy and every single one of his supporters and enablers.

Oct 25, 2017
A Kamala Harris x Cory Booker ticket running against [insert whomever is remaining after the Mueller takedown here] for 2020 is enough to give me the vapors. Too bad it's ultimately going to be Dwane Johnson vs Oprah Winfrey.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think it's incredibly naive to think Cory Booker wasn't grandstanding or not planning on running for president. And the responses here have been really bizarre and not really equal in degree to what was originally said. If you think I'm wrong (or anybody else that said similar comments) just say so. I said he comes off as insincere, and your general response is: "why don't you call him a uppity nigger like you want to". Wth? Where did that come from? Do you realize how odd and insulting that response is?
No one's denying Booker is planning on running for president, it's just a really fucking weird double standard to hold against political candidates. People do this shit all the time (no matter who they support) where they see a candidate they like give a speech (like Bernie in that example) and are like "Wow what a passionate guy, he deserves to be president!" but if it's someone they don't like out come the accusations of being a fake, having someone else write their speech, etc.

Like can we just come together as a nation and accept that everyone running for president is at least some degree of narcissistic and grandstanding? Like. They're running for president. Of course they are.

You can see why this critique gets really fucking annoying, really fast. If you want to ding Cory Booker on his policies and positions, by all means, do that. I'm not the biggest Booker fan myself. But zeroing in on superficial bullshit and these "look at that bitch eating crackers" moments is what got us Trump. What started out as reasoned critiques of Clinton in 2016 (too close to Wall Street? too hawkish? sure) quickly became "RAAAAAWWWWWGHGHGHGHGH SHE ONLY SAID SHE LIKES HOT SAUCE TO PANDER TO BLACK VOTERS, THAT SHRILL LYING BITCH!" and the nation never looked back.

If Booker's speech really inspired this gut level reaction of distrust and dislike, you need to take a step back and start thinking about this shit logically instead of whatever it is you're doing right now.

Paskowitz

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No one's denying Booker is planning on running for president, it's just a really fucking weird double standard to hold against political candidates. People do this shit all the time (no matter who they support) where they see a candidate they like give a speech (like Bernie in that example) and are like "Wow what a passionate guy, he deserves to be president!" but if it's someone they don't like out come the accusations of being a fake, having someone else write their speech, etc.

Like can we just come together as a nation and accept that everyone running for president is at least some degree of narcissistic and grandstanding? Like. They're running for president. Of course they are.

You can see why this critique gets really fucking annoying, really fast. If you want to ding Cory Booker on his policies and positions, by all means, do that. I'm not the biggest Booker fan myself. But zeroing in on superficial bullshit and these "look at that bitch eating crackers" moments is what got us Trump. What started out as reasoned critiques of Clinton in 2016 (too close to Wall Street? too hawkish? sure) quickly became "RAAAAAWWWWWGHGHGHGHGH SHE ONLY SAID SHE LIKES HOT SAUCE TO PANDER TO BLACK VOTERS, THAT SHRILL LYING BITCH!" and the nation never looked back.

If Booker's speech really inspired this gut level reaction of distrust and dislike, you need to take a step back and start thinking about this shit logically instead of whatever it is you're doing right now.

Thank you. This 100%. If people want to not trust what Booker says because of the money he got from big pharma, sure, ok. But this well he is trying to be president crap is silly. Hell, I bet 30% of senators have some desire to be president. So let's take every impassioned thing they say as grandstanding. I just don't get that logic.