• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Seven pages of allegedly aligned people fighting over nothing at all and trolls literally posting the same Feinstein scandal that got dredged up to make people fight each other last time.

She's a powerful egotistical elderly member of the political establishment. Her value is to use rules and relationships on behalf of the democratic party and its voters. She was fairly elected by a majority of people who've been quite familiar with her lack of gentleness. Letting intellectually dishonest people turn it into something it isn't is on you.

She's not a nice person, she's probably mean as a fucking bat. But not in this video and you're getting played. Next step is to move the goalposts to some more reasonable problem you can have with her. Or a historical problem. It another target.

Go nuts, but remember that people are trying to make you do that and trying to get you riled up about everything except the very real and imminent problems and dangers.

Actually I'm perfectly capable of being worried about Nazis and also thinking Feinstein is bad. I don't know why you would frame those as somehow being in opposition.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Context, how does it work? Taken out of context, it looks like a shitty reply. Taken within the full context, it's not the terrible reply people think it is.

Let's quote you:
shows you're gullible to fake news

The full video does not make this fake news. She said all these things and adding in parts that make her look better does not make the parts that make her look bad a lie. This is not fake news.

Oct 27, 2017
There like 1 guy trying his hardest to make it seem like she wasn't the jerk to those kids that she was. Even in full context she was a jerk.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you just say what it is that I'm missing that makes the original clip fake news?

the part where editing a clip to make someone look as bad as possible to stoke reactions is a dishonest practice and you should be mad at the people doing it even if you don't like the person it's done to

the part where even looking less bad as opposed to not bad at all is important because it has an overall impact on the state of discourse and discord among us, caused by people who are opposed to everything we stand for, because the difference between "less bad" and "as bad as possible" is what causes fights (and they know that)

it's almost like my points have nuance that i don't bother to go into because nobody will engage with them in good faith and it's much more productive to shitpost in the hopes people will figure it out for themselves eventually

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Let's quote you:

The full video does not make this fake news. She said all these things and adding in parts that make her look better does not make the parts that make her look bad a lie. This is not fake news.

Again, the context and how it's presented is what makes it fake news. Look at the replies earlier in this thread at how they commented on the video. One person said she could have just told them that the Republicans control the Senate and it won't pass. Well she did tell them that but without the full video, that context is lost. By losing the context, you change the meaning and tone and by doing so you're no longer convey accurately what happened and you present things to be worse than they are. That is fake news because it doesn't accurately portray the events that took place. Don't like her, that's fine. There's plenty of reasons to not like her but the way that video was edited loses a lot of the context on how the conversation flow and it changes things. Nobody is denying she said those things but the context in which she says them is important.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the part where editing a clip to make someone look as bad as possible to stoke reactions is a dishonest practice and you should be mad at the people doing it even if you don't like the person it's done to

the part where even looking less bad as opposed to not bad at all is important because it has an overall impact on the state of discourse and discord among people who are opposed to everything we stand for

This is BS. The edited clip contains the relevant questions and the answers to those questions. It is not twisting her words or making it look like she's saying something she's not or answering to a different question. That's not what "fakes news" is. She said these things and acted the way she was shown to. The full clip does not change that. You guys have to stop with the argument that Democrats can't criticize other Democrats because it shows division. There's good and bad about all Democrats and we're capable of discussing both.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is BS. The edited clip contains the relevant questions and the answers to those questions. It is not twisting her words or making it look like she's saying something she's not or answering to a different question. That's not what "fakes news" is. She said these things and acted the way she was shown to. The full clip does not change that. You guys have to stop with the argument that Democrats can't criticize other Democrats because it shows division. There's good and bad about all Democrats and we're capable to dicuss both.

part of the point of the clip was to make an emotional appeal about being mean to children in order to make everyone angry at her

people wouldn't be as angry if they'd included the clips about offering internships and engaging on substance

if you think stuff like that isn't important you're gonna continue being an easy target for disingenuous bullshit no matter what the topic is

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Children are for photo ops, not for having a seat at the table of political discourse. I'd be annoyed and dismissive if I was her as well.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This is BS. The edited clip contains the relevant questions and the answers to those questions. It is not twisting her words or making it look like she's saying something she's not or answering to a different question. That's not what "fakes news" is. She said these things and acted the way she was shown to. The full clip does not change that. You guys have to stop with the argument that Democrats can't criticize other Democrats because it shows division. There's good and bad about all Democrats and we're capable to dicuss both.
The way you know you're not falling for propaganda is when you don't criticize members of a party too harshly.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
part of the point of the clip was to make an emotional appeal about being mean to children in order to make everyone angry at her

people wouldn't be as angry if they'd included the clips about offering internships and engaging on substance

Depends on what you have in mind when you're saying "people wouldn't be as angry." People had a wide range of reactions. Some wanted her to resign over this and that was a stupid reaction even before the full clip came out. My (and a lot of people's) reaction was she didn't communicate with these kids the way she should have and she was out of line. Nothing about the full clip changes that.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Children are for photo ops, not for having a seat at the table of political discourse. I'd be annoyed and dismissive if I was her as well.

Hot take: children are American citizens just like everybody else who lives in America and have not just the opportunity but the right to speak to their elected representatives if they so choose

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you think stuff like that isn't important you're gonna continue being an easy target for disingenuous bullshit no matter what the topic is

I'm not dumb. I'm not "continuing" to be gullible, because I wasn't being gullible in the first place. I know context is important and I'm glad the full thing was released. My argument is this is not fake news and the added context does not make the way she acted and some of the things she said go from wrong to right. It's still wrong.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least she explains her position. It might be condescending and curt, but it's better than the original.

Its better as far as delivery goes, for sure, in that she's not wggressively supercilious, but not substantively. Her actual reason for not supporting the GND is she just doesn't think climate change is as urgent as the kids do, or not urgent enough to risk pissing off people who've supported her her whole career. But she knows she can't say that directly (though she hant helpmherself from scoffing at the notion that significant changes could occur in 10-12 years), so instead she says it's because it won't pass, as if shes never before supported a bill that didn't pass.

Last edited:

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She literally sounded like Trump there. "Why won't you do this?" 'I just won a BIG election, over one million, bigly'

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I think that one was sarcasm.

Is this one sarcasm? I can never tell with you.

No, I'm serious. Frankly I think the age cutoff on the franchise is pretty arbitrary!

edit: also this is why I don't use punctuation in my shitposts for clarity of communication, are you telling me nobody noticed that

edit 2: wait, I didn't use punctuation in the post you're referring to, maybe this whole policy needs a rework

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seven pages of allegedly aligned people fighting over nothing at all and trolls literally posting the same Feinstein scandal that got dredged up to make people fight each other last time.

She's a powerful egotistical elderly member of the political establishment. Her value is to use rules and relationships on behalf of the democratic party and its voters. She was fairly elected by a majority of people who've been quite familiar with her lack of gentleness. Letting intellectually dishonest people turn it into something it isn't is on you.

She's not a nice person, she's probably mean as a fucking bat. But not in this video and you're getting played. Next step is to move the goalposts to some more reasonable problem you can have with her. Or a historical problem. It another target.

Go nuts, but remember that people are trying to make you do that and trying to get you riled up about everything except the very real and imminent problems and dangers.

I'm sorry, who are the trolls, and who are these people that are trying to get me riled up? Is this some thinly veiled attempt to call the folks that disagree with you Russian bots or something? Is that the dead end your argument has taken you to?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She literally sounded like Trump there. "Why won't you do this?" 'I just won a BIG election, over one million, bigly'
I was going to make this comparison but I didn't want to invite the possible backlash. Now that you did it first, I can slither out of my rock like the coward I am.

Yeah deflecting with the size of your electoral victory was very Trumpian. Not that I think she's Trump or a Trump sympathizer but it's clearly an attempt to assert moral superiority by pointing to electoral wins.
edit: also this is why I don't use punctuation in my shitposts for clarity of communication, are you telling me nobody noticed that

Well now I'll know. I didn't mean to imply I thought you said something unreasonable, I thought your taking a sarcastic comment in seriousness was sarcastic in and of itself.

The age of franchisement is pretty arbitrary and probably higher than it needs to be.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You can agree that using children in any kind of political video is manipulative and also agree that Feinstein totally misunderstood the point and reacted poorly in both terms of attitude and substance. I don't know why people have to take sides, always.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I proudly voted for Feinstein last year and this propaganda doesn't change my opinion about her one bit. She's one of the most effective leaders in Congress and the fact that this site and Twitter especially is incapable of having a nuanced conversation about this only makes me more worried about potential Russian interference in 2020.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm not dumb. I'm not "continuing" to be gullible, because I wasn't being gullible in the first place. I know context is important and I'm glad the full thing was released. My argument is this is not fake news and the added context does not make the way she acted and some of the things she said go from wrong to right. It's still wrong.

Fake news can have different components, from Claire Wardle of First Draft News, they indentify 7 types of fake news:

1. satire or parody ("no intention to cause harm but has potential to fool")
  2. false connection ("when headlines, visuals or captions don't support the content")
  3. misleading content ("misleading use of information to frame an issue or an individual")
  4. false context ("when genuine content is shared with false contextual information")
  5. impostor content ("when genuine sources are impersonated" with false, made-up sources)
  6. manipulated content ("when genuine information or imagery is manipulated to deceive", as with a "doctored" photo)
  7. fabricated content ("new content is 100% false, designed to deceive and do harm")
The edited video could fit #3 or maybe #6

It can be fake news, and what she is saying can still be disagreeable

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
You can agree that using children in any kind of political video is manipulative and also agree that Feinstein totally misunderstood the point and reacted poorly in both terms of attitude and substance. I don't know why people have to take sides, always.

They're going to be impacted more than anybody by Feinstein's actions. It isn't manipulative, it's perfectly reasonable.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The little kids there aren't engaging they are being used as mouthpieces/props. Look... Feinstein's response was assinine but I'm creeped out by parents/guardians who pull shit like this. I agree with them but their methods I do not.
please. these aren't toddlers being fed talking points. i'm not sure if you know any/have ever been an adolescent, but 'listening to your parents' isn't exactly high on the list of shit they're into. even if they're cool with their parents, they're not wind up dolls. if you're in like fifth grade science class in California, chances are you're learning about climate change, and it's not shocking to think you might have skin in the game if you're the ones who have to deal with the consequences in the future. are these kids seeking out climate data in between Fortnite games on their own? probably not, but this is a concept so basic that children can grasp it fairly easily and it's cynical to think their objections are simply a result of manipulative parenting rather than borne of any genuine concern

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make this comparison but I didn't want to invite the possible backlash. Now that you did it first, I can slither out of my rock like the coward I am.

Yeah deflecting with the size of your electoral victory was very Trumpian. Not that I think she's Trump or a Trump sympathizer but it's clearly an attempt to assert moral superiority by pointing to electoral wins.

Have no fear lol. It's a fair criticism, she had no need to say that or make them feel bad they were too young to vote.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My argument is this is not fake news and the added context does not make the way she acted and some of the things she said go from wrong to right.

if you think that's a response to my argument where I say;

the part where even looking less bad as opposed to not bad at all is important because it has an overall impact on the state of discourse and discord among us, caused by people who are opposed to everything we stand for, because the difference between "less bad" and "as bad as possible" is what causes fights (and they know that)

then you're not arguing with me, you're arguing with a strawman, and it's especially hillarious to me that you're doing that when you start out your post with;

I'm not dumb. I know context is important.

Evidence remains to be seen.

Depends on what you have in mind when you're saying "people wouldn't be as angry." People had a wide range of reactions. Some wanted her to resign over this and that was a stupid reaction even before the full clip came out. My (and a lot of people's) reaction was she didn't communicate with these kids the way she should have and she was out of line. Nothing about the full clip changes that.

here's "a lot of people"

She sounds very Trump-esque
Throw her out on her fucking old ass. She'll be dead before anything happens anyway.
By looking at her it is obvious why she doesn't care for the 12 year thing...
liberals who are ok with feinstein here need to understand that this kind of thing is why the left does not see you as allies
yeah fuck these kids for wanting to live on a habitable planet when they grow up
yikes what an asshole
I mean that's what i would expect from characters like her.
feinstein doesnt need help looking as bad as possible
What a jerk. Feinstein's gonna be long gone before she experiences any of those climate problems so she doesn't give a shit.
Democrats would never bring a Green New Deal to a vote if they had power lmao
trump isn't even low enough to go out kids like this
Feinstein sounded a lot like Trump in that clip. People defending her in this thread sound a lot like MAGA-hats, too.
LOVE TOO WRITE OFF THE DEATHS OF LITERAL BILLIONS OF HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE AMERICA WON'T BE AS AFFECTED

REALLY SHOWING UR COMPASSION HERE

YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL STAKE IN THIS
lmfao, Feinstein did a great job making herself look bad. Way to ignore why anyone in here is upset at all. WHO CARES ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT!??? DECORUM!!!!!!!!!
any take other than "Feinstein was a dick" is trash
Though I know you don't care cause you're living nice and comfortable in the west.
Retire you useless warmongering corporate stooge.
The dragon lady with no fucking heart.
Another dinosaur who needs to get the fuck out of the way.
Wouldn't have even been a "gotcha" video if Feinstein had acted like an actual human being.

I gave up halfway through the thread, i'm sure there's more and worse

If you think none of this would have been different had the editing been more honest I don't know what to tell you

also betting half of these people will turn around and scream "ageist" at people thinking bernie's too old for president

and the reaction everwhere else is so much worse than it is here because at least ResetEra operates under the pretense of being a decent place

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I proudly voted for Feinstein last year and this propaganda doesn't change my opinion about her one bit. She's one of the most effective leaders in Congress and the fact that this site and Twitter especially is incapable of having a nuanced conversation about this only makes me more worried about potential Russian interference in 2020.

For sure it's going to be a very nuanced conversation when you're already priming the pump to dismiss anything you don't like as Russian interference.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
For sure it's going to be a very nuanced conversation when you're already priming the pump to dismiss anything you don't like as Russian interference.

Who is? I'm not dismissing shit. I don't like many of the things she said but I also don't think the way this argument is framed is helpful at all in terms of advancing the conversation. It's the reactions to the video that bother me more than anything. People immediately calling for her to resign? What the fuck is that? It's the left immediately eating itself alive at the first hint of disagreement, and not even a huge disagreement! Just the semantics of a policy they already agree is a priority.

Honestly I'm not sure I can imagine a worse take on my comment than yours.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, the context and how it's presented is what makes it fake news. Look at the replies earlier in this thread at how they commented on the video. One person said she could have just told them that the Republicans control the Senate and it won't pass. Well she did tell them that but without the full video, that context is lost. By losing the context, you change the meaning and tone and by doing so you're no longer convey accurately what happened and you present things to be worse than they are. That is fake news because it doesn't accurately portray the events that took place. Don't like her, that's fine. There's plenty of reasons to not like her but the way that video was edited loses a lot of the context on how the conversation flow and it changes things. Nobody is denying she said those things but the context in which she says them is important.

Why are you saying 'fake news'?

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
please. these aren't toddlers being fed talking points. i'm not sure if you know any/have ever been an adolescent, but 'listening to your parents' isn't exactly high on the list of shit they're into. even if they're cool with their parents, they're not wind up dolls. if you're in like fifth grade science class in California, chances are you're learning about climate change, and it's not shocking to think you might have skin in the game if you're the ones who have to deal with the consequences in the future. are these kids seeking out climate data in between Fortnite games on their own? probably not, but this is a concept so basic that children can grasp it fairly easily and it's cynical to think their objections are simply a result of manipulative parenting rather than borne of any genuine concern

The actual teenager in the video seemed perfectly capable of speaking her mind and having read the actual bullets points (at least) of the green new deal. The much younger children though were parroting/repeating things. My partner has been a teacher for 10 years and and had the same read. I just stated my opinion and yes I was an adolescent at some point.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

The ol' Russian scare in full effect right here. And you dismiss a light discussion about flubs and the intent of leadership as "propaganda" so effectively.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Its better as far as delivery goes, for sure, in that she's not wggressively supercilious, but not substantively. Her actual reason for not supporting the GND is she just doesn't think climate change is as urgent as the kids do, or not urgent enough to risk pissing off people who've supported her her whole career. But she knows she can't say that directly (though she hant helpmherself from scoffing at the notion that significant changes could occur in 10-12 years), so instead she says it's because it won't pass, as if shes never before supported a bill that didn't pass.
She still explained her position. You might find it flimsy and unsatisfying, but the first video made it seem like she big timed the kids and that was that. She explained that she wont vote because a) it won't pass and b) she has something that might pass. She was curt and condescending, but she gave them an explanation.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fake news can have different components, from Claire Wardle of First Draft News, they indentify 7 types of fake news:

The edited video could fit #3 or maybe #6

It's neither. The original clip wasn't meant to give the impression that that was the whole meeting. Those are the parts Sunrise objected to and the video is about that. Seriously, we have to make a difference between things that are so misleading that no one reacting to it should be blamed for having a certain opinion of it, and people just overreacting. We can't blame everything on editing.

if you think that's a response to my argument where I say;

then you're not arguing with me, you're arguing with a strawman, and it's especially hillarious to me that you're doing that when you start out your post with

Evidence remains to be seen.

here's "a lot of people"

I gave up halfway through the thread, i'm sure there's more and worse

If you think none of this would have been different had the editing been more honest I don't know what to tell you

also betting half of these people will turn around and scream "ageist" at people thinking bernie's too old for president

Seems like you forgot my original post, which you replied to with "ruminate on this string of words for a second and you'll get it," was a reply to someone who called it fake news. I'm not just responding to you.

And your continued condescension makes it a pain to debate with you.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Who is? I'm not dismissing shit. I don't like many of the things she said but I also don't think the way this argument is framed is helpful at all in terms of advancing the conversation. It's the reactions to the video that bother me more than anything. People immediately calling for her to resign? What the fuck is that?

They're trying to get her to support the bill. It's pretty simple.