• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) criticized Sony Interactive Entertainment's "monopoly" control of the high-end gaming market during a hearing Thursday and called on U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai to press Japan on the issue during ongoing trade talks.

"I'm told that Sony controls a monopoly of 98% of the high-end game market, yet Japan's government has allowed Sony to engage in blatant anti-competitive conduct through exclusive deals and payments to game publishers," Cantwell said during a Senate Finance Committee hearing.

Cantwell noted that Japan's Fair Trade Commission has "failed to investigate these exclusionary conducts" before posing a question to Tai: "So what do you think we can do to [better] address these issues and create a level playing field with the [Indo-Pacific Economic Framework] on something as important as this issue?"
Tai declined to discuss Sony directly but noted that IPEF, an economic initiative that includes Japan and 12 others countries in the region, is expected to address both competition and digital issues. "That is absolutely an area that we are primed to address," Tai said. "This one is new for me, but let me take this back."

More of the article locked behind a paywall

subscriber.politicopro.com

POLITICO Pro: Cantwell calls out Sony’s gaming ‘monopoly’ in exchange with U.S. Trade Rep Tai

The remarks come amid a dispute between Microsoft and Sony over the software giant’s takeover of Activision Blizzard.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
User banned (2 weeks): Misrepresenting information in order to engage in platform warring
For transparency worth pointing out her top contribution funding comes from Microsoft. Take that for what you will.

mariacantwell.PNG

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that Brad Smith said Sony has a 96:4 ratio in Japan going by the dumb "high end market" definition made up by regulators.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Antagonizing other member
OP knew exactly what he was doing posting this garbage.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
She's a senator from Washington, where Microsoft is headquartered and where Nintendo of America is based.

I'm sure that's a coincidence.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ah yes, Japan. Notoriously a Sony dominant market for the past few years...
Also this Stuff is really getting into really weird anti asia sentiment. esp when it makes no sense that Japan is protecting anything. Lol. Like america hasn't gone great lengths to protect American business interests.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah I guess I'd never considered it but with Sony and Xbox classing Nintendo as a different market, that does leave Sony with an overwhelming monopoly of the high end market in Japan. And Xbox is finding it impossible to compete there.

That said, it always feels like Xbox half asses Japan. All those billions they're spending on western acquisitions and comparatively little on Japanese gaming. Considering Japanese AAA gaming is in a renaissance and western AAA gaming is in a rut, it feels such a weird business decision to focus so much on western acquisitions. So part of me think Microsoft has made its bed, and so they have to lie in it.

But it could just be that MS can compete because of Sonys monopoly

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
98%...in Japan? Hardly something a U.S. Senator needs to spend time worrying about.

Also ridiculously specific once you put "high end" in there, which could mean just about anything. So obviously excluding Switch, but what does it mean? PS5 vs Xbox Series X? Two products? Sony's not putting effort into unfairly beating the Xbox in Japan. They get that win for free.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
98% market share? No one's had 98%. Not even Nintendo in the 80s had a market share that high. What a stupid thing to assume.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How nice of her to give Good Guy Phil a heads-up that his checks aren't bouncing

Also 98%?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I guess I'd never considered it but with Sony and Xbox classing Nintendo as a different market, that does leave Sony with an overwhelming monopoly of the high end market in Japan. And Xbox is finding it impossible to compete there.

That said, it always feels like Xbox half asses Japan. All those billions they're spending on western acquisitions and comparatively little on Japanese gaming. Considering Japanese AAA gaming is in a renaissance and western AAA gaming is in a rut, it feels such a weird business decision to focus so much on western acquisitions. So part of me think Microsoft has made its bed, and so they have to lie in it.

But it could just be that MS can compete because of Sonys monopoly
But they are competing we literally had them in Japan, posting stuff with kojima just the other day. I just don't even get how people think they are being blocked by anything.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Sony are closer to monopolizing US anime licensing and distribution than anything resembling disproportionate control of the gaming market.

Status
Not open for further replies.