• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
maxresdefault.jpg

Sengoku Basara series producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi has teased the announcement of a new entry in the series in the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation.

Asked about the series' future developments, Kobayashi told the magazine, "In March 2018, there will be the new Sengoku Basara Demon King of the Sixth Heaven performance. Since we're making various other preparations, I will make the announcements when the timing is right after the year becomes 2018."

The latest entry in the Sengoku Basara series, Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den, launched for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 in Japan on August 25, 2016.

Thanks, Ryokutya2089 and Hachima Kikou.

Source: https://gematsu.com/2017/11/sengoku-basara-producer-teases-announcement-2018

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. I thought the SB series was dead after the poor sales of the last one.
But Akiller made a good point that both SB and DMC saw new ports the same year. So that could potentially be aiming that both series were getting something in the future. The only oddity is which system will this be for and if it'll end up being Japanese Only once again. To me the SB series seems like it'd be a good fit for switch if they are planning on keeping it Japanese only anyway. Regardless i'm curious what this'll entail. Also now I need to look at some older interviews since I thought the SB team was working on Resident Evil now. So I think I mixed something up awhile back.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, the series was in a zombie state for a while before the lame Yukimura spinoff. Both 4 and Sumeragi were mediocre sequels created by people without any passion for the series, and it showed. I'd like to believe that if they are to continue the series, either with 5 or another spinoff (on Ieyasu?), they'd give it someone who cares...
I guess the hardware situation is another issue. All their tests for Wii and PSP flopped, so they may think they have to go on the current Sony home console... but the PS4 is a different beast. Will Capcom dare to make another test for Switch this time, or will it be one final minimal effort for PS4, and if it flops the series dies for good?

Oh well. I'll probably be there day 1 anyway even if it's yet another rehash built on Basara 3's rotting corpse, so that's at least 1 sale guaranteed!

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we found itsuno's new game.
Kappa?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn this series was done, which was impressive after how big it became for a while.

Too bad whatever they end up making will have almost zero chance of getting localized given how every other localized SB game performed.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Now, this is a bit surprising. At the most recent Matsuri event, KobaP said that he and a team were busy with something RE-related and that we would have to wait a bit longer for any BASARA news.

I'm hoping this is a 5th game that restores more of what I love about the series. Certainly agreed that 4 and Sumeragi just didn't have the same spark. Even the new characters weren't Tsuchi designs, which explains why almost all of them except maybe Sen no Rikyu and Ashikaga seemed like they didn't even fit with the rest of the characters.

Oh, and a Switch port would be nice, considering this series could have used a decent portable option for the longest, but the PSP got worthless spin-offs.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand the quote, I can't see where he is specifically talking about a new game? I'm just hoping that the announcements in 2018 aren't for more stage plays and animes and other merchandising ventures vs an actual new game...

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I could've sworn this series was done, which was impressive after how big it became for a while.

Too bad whatever they end up making will have almost zero chance of getting localized given how every other localized SB game performed.

It's so frustrating. I really enjoyed SB3 on PS3. So much lovable personality and charm. It's a shame Capcom hasn't been able to grab the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors audience from the west.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm trying to understand the quote, I can't see where he is specifically talking about a new game? I'm just hoping that the announcements in 2018 aren't for more stage plays and animes and other merchandising ventures vs an actual new game...
Well, look at it this way: even as lucrative as the stage shows and the like ended up being, the series has always needed a new main game to generate interest in the brand and generate new characters.

Suffice to say, the series needs that kind of thing even more, now. It's clear as day to see that SB4's new poster boy attempts have already been forgotten, because most merchandise and other collabs gave long since gone back to the main 4 (Masamune, Yukimura, Ieyasu and Mitsunari). I don't think even Yukimura's bro made more than a blip.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was talking in another chat. Could be something like they finish whatever they're doing on RE, while during that time we see a port perhaps to switch, and then after RE they're back at making a new game.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved Samurai Heroes on PS3, so it's been disheartening to see the PS4 ones not come over when we keep getting more and more Dynasty Warriors. Maybe Capcom should take a page from KT and do some crossover stuff, bring in a few characters from Resident Evil and Street Fighter to widen the apeal of the series.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just hoping that the announcements in 2018 aren't for more stage plays and animes and other merchandising ventures vs an actual new game...
It could be another stage play and a couple of goodies, but anything bigger (anime, movie) needs to have a game attached to it. Basara 3 became so successful because the whole media plan was coherent; the last anime was terrible AND released at a bad time.

Except if it's a live action movie, in which case, ABANDON SHIP IMMEDIATELY.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Was talking in another chat. Could be something like they finish whatever they're doing on RE, while during that time we see a port perhaps to switch, and then after RE they're back at making a new game.

That'd be nice. Of course, the interesting thing is that SB game announcements tend to occur at fan events (which happen in Feb/March). So, I guess if we were going to see a RE game announced before then, we'd have to see it soon-ish?

I absolutely loved Samurai Heroes on PS3, so it's been disheartening to see the PS4 ones not come over when we keep getting more and more Dynasty Warriors. Maybe Capcom should take a page from KT and do some crossover stuff, bring in a few characters from Resident Evil and Street Fighter to widen the apeal of the series.

Well...we have had DLC outfits! :)

But seriously, it really boggles my mind that Capcom didn't make a more concerted effort to just scoop up more collab offers for BASARA. Especially when the brand was at its peak. Koei pretty much scooped up everything unopposed (including sweetheart deals involving Nintendo IPs), and whatever was left, Bamco threw to the likes of Dimps or 8ing.

Hell, even a RE-themed game that just had Chris, Leon and a bunch of other fan faves stylushly beating up on zombies would have likely made somewhat of a splash.