• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Senran Kagura series producer Kenichiro Takaki briefly touched upon the status of the upcoming Senran Kagura 7EVEN during an in interview with Akiba Souken.

Speaking to the website, Takaki said, "Recently, worldwide regulations regarding sexual depiction have been getting stronger, and in that respect, we have to make games in a way that they aren't misunderstood. Certain things are harder than they've ever been before. Given that, I think [the game] is going to take some time… We want to make it happen, so right now we're at a place where we're thinking about how to do that, and various other things overall."

More:
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/senran-...some-time-due-to-recent-worldwide-regulations

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
You missed a part.
Takaki's comments regarding stronger regulations against sexual depiction are likely in reference to Sony Interactive Entertainment, whose recent regulations resulted in the "Intimacy Mode" from Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal being removed from the PlayStation 4 version in the west.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
He should just release the game on platforms that allow it instead of giving into Sony's inconsistent new policy.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if Sony could at least outline what these regulation changes are. I have this feeling that certain high profile, Western developers could be exempt from them. And it also feels a bit weird when it's all about the sex but not about the violence.

Wonder what even brought these changes about. And why it's being applied worldwide.
Switch doesn't require the same level of censorship as PS4? I would've thought they'd require more.
Nah, it's less. This thread details some of it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...on-hindered-by-recent-sony-regulations.77431/

Basically, these regulations are forcing developers to remove/change certain aspects of their games that aren't in PC/Switch versions.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the decreasing sales and flops like the mobile game, I don't think this series had a future at all anyway.

He shoukd just release the game on platforms that allow it instead of giving into Sony's inconsistent new policy.
It's funny because just last year he made comments about Switch's not being a good fit for the mainline series and would prefer a Vita 2. lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing Sony's new regulations forced them to change things they had planned for the new game and that's adding to the game already being delayed.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Misunderstood"

eqlBNdf.jpg

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"we have to make games in a way that they aren't misunderstood"

There's no way you can misunderstand what these games are about.

Switch doesn't require the same level of censorship as PS4? I would've thought they'd require more.
The Senran Kagura series started on 3DS, of all places.

Because the creator saw 3D and said "well obviously we have to do 3D boobs."

But don't misunderstand his games, please.

Deleted member 35156

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Kinda stopped caring for Senran Kagura since I didn't like Estival Versus and I found the combat of Valkyrie Drive to be better but is still disappointing to hear.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the whole craft of the Senran Kagura team about making stuff that circumvents regulation ? This will only make them stronger by forcing them to be more creative.

Sony unleashed the beast. I'm scared.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Don't get why some are uptight about comically absurd bouncing anime boobs in Japanese games, but actual nudity in western ones is ok? And they sure are not always for plot or some deeper connection between characters. Let them make the nonsense games they want I say.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this comes back to bite Sony in the ass when multiple developers decide to cease bringing their games to Sony consoles.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Do we still not know what Sony's new regulations are about more precisely?

He shoukd just release the game on platforms that allow it instead of giving into Sony's inconsistent new policy.
That's what baffles me about this, as the fans of this kind of content are going to move away from Sony platforms because of the new content guidelines, so who the hell are they going to be selling Senran Kagura to at that point? What a bizarre hill to die on.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These topics always get locked on here because they devolve into posters defending minors being sexualized. If not outright groped and slapped about like in this game.

Sony's policy has to be consistent, but if it just targets underage shit I have no issues with it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, they might have to find a way to make women sexy without resorting to ripping their clothes off.
Given what happened with the most recent game in the series Sony doesn't seem to care about that(though it's super inconsistent with them). This is probably related to petting/rubbing mechanics and they might have been building on it with this game.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This is...worrisome.
If they develop the games from the beginning to be different in order to comply with Sony's new regulations, then doesn't that mean there won't be "uncensored" versions to release on other platforms? This would effectively ruin any potential PC/Switch ports to suffer from Sony's regulations, would it not?
Well, Sony didn't give a f*ck about the Vita so that might be true.
A shame because the Vita was a really rad system. It deserved some more love. Forever salty the PSTV didn't catch on because for the library you're getting its price was incredible. Plus if you're a JRPG fan/fan of niche Japanese games the system was heavenly.

sandworms

Oct 7, 2018
I really wish they'd take the Switch seriously and release the mainline games there. Ditch Sony!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
They probably want to make sure their usual award winning gameplay is up to par.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the inconsistency of the edits that I have issue with. Regardless of whether people feel the content being edited is "creepy" or not, why not just let the ESRB do their job? It's kind of what they're there for. If Sony keeps this up developers are going to be wary to create games on their platform, out of fear of possible restrictions. The back-and-forth between the Japanese and American branches only further unnecessarily complicates things.

People are free to enjoy what they enjoy, as long as said thing isn't illegal in any way. If there''s an audience for fanservice games and the ESRB gives it the rating it deserves, that should be enough.

Last edited:
This is...worrisome.
If they develop the games from the beginning to be different in order to comply with Sony's new regulations, then doesn't that mean there won't be "uncensored" versions to release on other platforms? This would effectively ruin any potential PC/Switch ports to suffer from Sony's regulations, would it not?
Well, that depends on whether or not they would apply the same guidelines to non-Sony version. We're seeing with the VNs being affected that they're not stooping to censoring them on other platforms, so it's not entirely unthinkable that if a new SK game was hitting multiple platforms, they would only censor the PS4 version. Who knows at this point, though.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
This is...worrisome.

That's why I put Sony's weird stance as #1 in that Fail Of The Year thread... Forcing devs to go through another audit when the content has already passed the main international ratings board is bizarre. How they handle that new Catherine game is going to be really interesting.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Well, that depends on whether or not they would apply the same guidelines to non-Sony version. We're seeing with the VNs being affected that they're not stooping to censoring them on other platforms, so it's not entirely unthinkable that if a new SK game was hitting multiple platforms, they would only censor the PS4 version. Who knows at this point, though.
Well I mean that's the thing; all those VNs are already games that are pretty much finished, right? So they just have to remove content that was already there.
But in this game's case, the game isn't finished; if edited during development, things get a lot more hazy, right?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how they handle that new Catherine game is going to be really interesting.
Atlus has already addressed this. Many people had sent questions through their Q&A form concerned that Sony's new regulations would affect Catherine: FB. All Atlus had to say about that was basically, "There won't be mysterious rays of light."

So the game might have been affected, but it's not something we'll know from the game itself. The game doesn't have underage characters, and there've still been some racy scenes in pre-release media.

Honestly, Catherine: FB (and games potentially like it in the future) is the only reason why I care about this. It's why I would want to see specifics on these regulations. 'Cause if it's just about limiting the amount of nudity shown by underage characters in games, then whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.