• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I guess I don't mind too much because the series has gotten terribly stale in the gameplay department ever since they stopped making mainline games and moved to the Versus games' gameplay more, but it's still a bad look for Sony.

Bayouswampman

Banned
Oct 27, 2018
PS5 games are probably in development right now, this all could just be groundwork in preparation.

When Sony first revealed the PS4 way back when they showed off a graphic displaying all the devs that had signed on to produce PS4 games. It included all the usual AAA shlock but it also had a bunch of the niche devs like NIS, Idea Factory, D3 Publisher, Gust, Marvelous, Atlus, and so on that are now currently being targeted by their censorship bullshit.

When the PS5 comes around why would anyone who doesnt care about AAA games even consider picking one up?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I doubt the smaller developers who are being hit by these changes are even going to bother with the PS5, at this point. The PS4 already isn't very popular in Japan, and niche developers like this are usually slow to migrate to a new platform. They will most likely release their games on Switch since it's popular worldwide, and their games aren't so graphically advanced that the Switch would have trouble with them.

Small developers don't need to publish on the PS4 for power either but eventually they did because that's where everyone moved on to.

If the PS5 continues to sell great, that's where they would move to as well.

People here are saying that Sony is doing this censorship to protect Sony brand from being ruined by sexualization.

Which is pure bullshit considering Sony itself is publishing mobage with big Sony logo where they are pushing sexualization on minor too.

Then they should be saying the Playstation brand for clarity.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean, unless someone knows what's the context it's kinda hard to argue whether it's in line with the policy or not.
It is as vanilla as a visual novel can get. The main shtick is that the mc is cursed to be a cat unless kissed by a girl, and in this scene she kisses him for the purpose of spending time with her on the beach. Ifyou want to see the general tone you can watch the anime shorts.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
When Sony first revealed the PS4 way back when they showed off a graphic displaying all the devs that had signed on to produce PS4 games. It included all the usual AAA shlock but it also had a bunch of the niche devs like NIS, Idea Factory, D3 Publisher, Gust, Marvelous, Atlus, and so on that are now currently being targeted by their censorship bullshit.

When the PS5 comes around why would anyone who doesnt care about AAA games even consider picking one up?

Because eventually the PS4 would be obsolete and not supported?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah im not seeing the inconsistency people keep harping on about. I keep seeing creepy features plus modes featuring sexual assault being targeted. What games featuring content like that have gone untouched? Nobody seems capable of answering the question.
Strange how that's happening, right?
Also, I can't believe people are still doing "the character is 18 but just looks 12" thing still.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we can't always get what we want.

Consider this: localization is a ton of work and time and the effort needs to financially pay off. If you're not willing to accept the version they out out then you can always do the work of learning Japanese. Then you'll be exposed to a whole new array of games!

Unless, of course, your real concern is that even Japan will move away from this problematic objectifying stuff (particularly of youbg girls). Most of us would call that progress.

Localization is irrelevant when the issue is with SIE doing that on japan itself.

That wouldn't happen because Japanese isn't a (mostly) universally spoken language. We aren't taking ifs and buts, we're talking about measures being taken to protect PS4's credibility in the Western market, which largely uses English to conduct business.

Except that such thing don't happen with Nintendo and they can issue it in japanese as there's a company in their country for that much like from SIEJA itself. Also, if Sony needs to change something for the western market, then they should just change outside of it, not doing that for a market where the rating board literally allows it with a certain age.

People here are saying that Sony is doing this censorship to protect Sony brand from being ruined by sexualization.

Which is pure bullshit considering Sony itself is publishing mobage with big Sony logo where they are pushing sexualization on minor too.

Well, even if different branches, that's true. But SIE in these days is basically a american company while Aniplex is a japanese company subsidiary of Sony Music Japan so I guess that's the reason for why one side don't give a fuck (even more when Aniplex beyond being publisher of Fate go and Madoka mobage is also a anime producer)

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading about how this only touches small to middle size publishers and only those under the Playstation brand amd not the mobile games that are under the Sony Music branch :
I would not be suprised that the real reason why the mobage are not touched is not due to differing cultures within the compagny, but because those games makes so much money for them that they don't want anything that could make them lose that much cash flow.
Edit :
Link from here talking about FGO revenue by itself : https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...er-fate-grand-order-releases-worldwide.53558/

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reading about how this only touches small to middle size publishers and only those under the Playstation brand amd not the mobile games that are under the Sony Music branch :
I would not be suprised that the real reason why the mobage are not touched is not due to differing cultures within the compagny, but because those games makes so much money for them that they don't want anything that could make them lose that much cash flow.
Edit :
Link from here talking about FGO revenue by itself : https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...er-fate-grand-order-releases-worldwide.53558/

Of course it is about money lol. The whales wont be happy if suddenly Sony pull out that Illya and Kaleid Prisma underaged gacha lol. Which is why i said Sony is hypocrite.

They are making the lives of smaller 3rd party difficult and yet they are also enjoying all those sexualization money lol.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone argue the merit of this sort of content?

Is anyone really sympathetic to developers that choose this as their main selling point?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does titilating content exist in any media? It doesn't need merit.
Again, there is no issue with tittilating content in and of itself, IMO. It's the kind of titilating content being produced being problematic in its framing of women, especially fetishized young girls.

If you can't rely on good gameplay to sell your game then I don't feel too sorry for you when you lose your cheap, manipulative gimmick.

Last edited:

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Again, there is no issue with tittilating content in and of itself, IMO. It's the kind of titilating content being produced being problematic in its framing of women, especially fetishized young girls.

If you can't rely on good gameplay to sell your game then I don't feel too sorry for you when you lose your cheap, manipulative gimmick.
Not that I dont agree with you, but how would you do an eechi/cheesecake kind of action game while not making it problematic? Like that seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.
This obviously not counting the obvious elements like the really young characters and Molestor Simulator mode.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean i dont like sony censoring shit and the precedent it sets. But im not losing sleep over titles like these having a hard time around them.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I dont agree with you, but how would you do an eechi/cheesecake kind of action game while not making it problematic? Like that seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.
This obviously not counting the obvious elements like the really young characters and Molestor Simulator mode.
Why should anyone care if these kinds of games go away? Muh free speech? I have no doubt that they'll always be there on PC, anyway.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017

In terms of framing (not the young girls but) of woman, how exactly you want it to be done? Like if it isn't kids or sexual harassment, shouldn't it be ok? Also in terms of gimmicks used to sell games, couldn't over the top violence be considered a gimmick as well? Again I'm not comparing this to ancient dragon lolis or anything, I'm asking in terms of adult woman.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of framing (not the young girls but) of woman, how exactly you want it to be done? Like if it isn't kids or sexual harassment, shouldn't it be ok? Also in terms of gimmicks used to sell games, couldn't over the top violence be considered a gimmick as well? Again I'm not comparing this to ancient dragon lolis or anything, I'm asking in terms of adult woman.
I mean you said you didnt mind titillating content in games, thats why I asked how would you do it differently without making it problematic?

I'm sure sex-positive games exist, or at least efforts towards that have been made. If not on console then on PC.

I'm not an expert on the issue but I think it needs to be directed by a deft hand.

As for violence, that was a bigger gimmick in the 90s and 2000s and we definitely saw push-back. But you'll notice today that violence alone won't sell games anymore. They do need good gameplay to succede.

I can't put my finger on it, but Bayonetta works where Senran Kagura doesn't, and if you took away Bayonetta's sexploitation you'd still have an excellent game.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Ffs Sony stop this shit already. Inconsistent bullshit censorship policy when rating boards exist. Makes no sense

Fully expected this though. Burst Re Newal was only hit that way as a quick way to censor while the next SK game will get completely gutted by censorship or game will be made with this policy in mind and they don't even know what might have been ok that they preemtively removed.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure sex-positive games exist, or at least efforts towards that have been made. If not on console then on PC.

I'm not an expert on the issue but I think it needs to be directed by a deft hand.

As for violence, that was a bigger gimmick in the 90s and 2000s and we definitely saw push-back. But you'll notice today that violence alone won't sell games anymore. They do need good gameplay to succede.

I can't put my finger on it, but Bayonetta works where Senran Kagura doesn't, and if you took away Bayonetta's sexploitation you'd still have an excellent game.
What else do you need to do make nudity and sex, sex positive? Like again if it's between two consenting adults in the story wouldn't that be alright?

Edit - didn't notice you added that bit at the end. Sure you could take it away but isn't that part of her character? Using her sexuality as a weapon or whatever?

Edit 2- games like doom and Mortal Kombat are still pretty bad or worst than their original counterparts in the modern versions. And they even sell themselves with that violence in addition to the top notch gameplay. It's what gives them their personality.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Hope all this does is push more niche japanese developers towards Switch/Steam. Specially steam, for my own benefit.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any censorship should begin and end at the ratings board. That's why they exist.
this basically should be it
while i find the sexualization of young (or young looking) girls and boys gross, and have zero interest in the senran kagura games, i believe it should be the job of rating boards to see of something is ok to release or not. if sony so strongly believes that a certain kind of content shouldn't be allowed, they should take their issue with the boards.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this basically should be it
while i find the sexualization of young (or young looking) girls and boys gross, and have zero interest in the senran kagura games, i believe it should be the job of rating boards to see of something is ok to release or not. if sony so strongly believes that a certain kind of content shouldn't be allowed, they should take their issue with the boards.
Why? The ratings board exists to advise consumers. Sony has a closed platform, though. If they don't want their branding associated with that kind of content then that's their prerogative.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this trend continues and developers start leaning more to Switch as main system I will drop Playstation like a hot rock.
I am old enough to decide what I want to buy and not buy, and I do not need anyone deciding for me.
Ratings exist for a reason.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am going to wait for Catherine to see if the censor it or not. Hoping they don't.

Sony needs to do the following:
-Release the rules.
-Open a Japanese office so Japanese Devs can follow the rules much easier.

As long as they keep the weird shit away like molesting young girls and the sexualization of minors then I support them on this. We will see how it goes with Catherine.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Why? The ratings board exists to advise consumers. Sony has a closed platform, though. If they don't want their branding associated with that kind of content then that's their prerogative.
But what brand is the question. Is it the PlayStation brand or Sony as a whole? As some people have mentioned, Sony music has mobile games that literally rely on underage characters in skimpy outfits to make money.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope all this does is push more niche japanese developers towards Switch/Steam. Specially steam, for my own benefit.

Again I must ask, are these groping minigames that important to you? If so, why?

This thread Is hella disturbing with the amount of users that seemingly want such content in their games.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I am going to wait for Catherine to see if the censor it or not. Hoping they don't.

Sony needs to do the following:
-Release the rules.
-Open a Japanese office so Japanese Devs can follow the rules much easier.

As long as they keep the weird shit away like molesting young girls and the sexualization of minors then I support them on this. We will see how it goes with Catherine.
This, just so much this. I've seen people defend Sony's decision to get Japanese devs to do documents in English, but why should it be accepted? This is a multi national company and you're telling me they can't afford to open one in Japan to deal with that stuff?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But what brand is the question. Is it the PlayStation brand or Sony as a whole? As some people have mentioned, Sony music has mobile games that literally rely on underage characters in skimpy outfits to make money.
Guess it's PlayStation, then.

Consider the fact that the Vita has a well-known reputation/stigma of being a pervert machine. The common joke is that these are the only kinds of games on the system.

I'm not condoning hypocrisy but that doesn't change the point I'm making.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I just had an idea!

Is this new rule retroactive? Because dont these games already exist on sony's platforms? I seem to remember this titty girl senran game had two releases on vita and ps4? How does this affect the distribution of those games?

Hmmmm!!??

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Guess it's PlayStation, then.

Consider the fact that the Vita has a well-known reputation/stigma of being a pervert machine.

I'm not condoning hypocrisy but that doesn't change the point I'm making.
It still seems pretty dumb though as most people aren't going to know the difference between Sony music and PlayStation. Guess we got to wait and sees what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain groups get outraged with the content in their mobile stuff and try to paint the company as a whole as terrible (and they probably aren't going to do much about it cause apparently those mobile games bring in big money for them).

Edit - funny thing is that the vita has that reputation because they are the only ones making games for that device when Sony pretty much abandoned the device.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Again I must ask, are these groping minigames that important to you? If so, why?

This thread Is hella disturbing with the amount of users that seemingly want such content in their games.

Its not about the content of individual games but Sony out of nowhere enforcing censorship on things that have already been rated, a policy that is incredibly inconsistent and there has been zero transparency or any comment from Sony, devs having to go through a certificafion process with Sony seperate from rating boards just to release their game on the platform in Japan

Not to mention Sony having zero regard for people making games for their platform by demanding a game to get delayed and censored months after it was rated and like a month before its planned release

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Defending the sexualisation of minors. History of severe infractions.

You are missing the forest for the trees.
This is not about "those mini games".
Hell I am not a fan of this series.
But if I buy something, I want the original complete vision for it for better or worse.
Then I can decide if something offends me or not.
Nobody is forced to buy or experience any of these games or material.
It is a conscious choice to go buy something.

What is hella disturbing is people do not want to put on their grown up pants and want other people to decide what they can see, watch, or listen to.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it should be pretty easy to tell. In the previous trailers, Rin has a scene with a partial butt shot. If that's still in the game, I can't imagine there was anything else that needed to be edited out.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If the only rule in sony's policy was:

1. Don't let players grope children

This game would fail that

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the boards have clear guidelines and give clear explanations when they rate games, sony doesn't.
obviously sony is running a closed platform and it's their right to decide what is and isn't ok, but i feel like they shouldn't exercise that right. what if in a few years we find out they demanded a game's content to be changed for political/idealogical reasons? will you also defend that?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good old American imperialism like we all love it. I remember when Japanese playstation executives were present at every Takaki's stream and gave no fuck about what was presented.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Defending the sexualisation of minors.
You are missing the forest for the trees.
This is not about "those mini games".
Hell I am not a fan of this series.
But if I buy something, I want the original complete vision for it for better or worse.
Then I can decide if something offends me or not.
Nobody is forced to buy or experience any of these games or material.
It is a conscious choice to go buy something.

What is hella disturbing is people do not want to put on their grown up pants and want other people to decide what they can see, watch, or listen to.

That's basically it for me. If I wanted to watch an Anime, I'd avoid the "4kids" versions where cigars have been edited into bananas. If I bought a Rap CD, I would go for the "explicit lyric" version, even though the songs probably depict gangland shootings.

There's plenty of game genres I don't like, but I wouldn't celebrate a company censoring them. I just accept its not for me and move on to something else I do like.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Senran Kagura games overstep the line between funny and creepy quite a bit but I think Sony's being shortsighted and clumsy with their new policies.

What needs to happen is for rating boards to start taking it more seriously. If you look at Omega Labyrinth Z numerous ratings boards had denied the game classification, which is how it should work.

If groping minigames resulted in an automated Cero Z rating in Japan you would see a lot less games embracing it without a censorship controversy.

Oct 26, 2017
I only played a couple of Senran games on Vita and Mobile and I don't even like them that much, but I sure as fuck don't need a company like Sony deciding what I do and don't like about the games.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, it should be pretty easy to tell. In the previous trailers, Rin has a scene with a partial butt shot. If that's still in the game, I can't imagine there was anything else that needed to be edited out.
Hopefully.

I am not expecting it to be censored but people are saying it might be so we will see.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Sony stepped up. These games are super gross.

Sony didn't do this for good reasons. They'd hit, for example, a Christine Love game even harder.

I don't like SK one bit, but Sony is trying to go old-school Nintendo arrogant and that shouldn't be rewarded.

The best move would prob be to make the game you want and release it on PC/Switch/ even XB1 if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.