• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://sensortower.com/blog/mario-kart-tour-first-month-downloads

mario-kart-tour-first-month-chart.jpg

Downloads and revenue:

According to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data, the blockbuster racing game has amassed an estimated 123.9 million unique downloads across both the App Store and Google Play, generating $37.4 million in player spending since its worldwide release on September 25.

Comparison of revenue between Nintendo mobile titles:

In terms of revenue, Mario Kart Tour comes in at second place, losing out only to the $67.6 million grossed during Fire Emblem Heroes' launch month. Mario Kart Tour is faring less well in terms of revenue per download, with an average of $0.26 spent per player — a slight improvement over Dr. Mario World's $0.19 per player, while Dragalia Lost's impressive $16.50 per player in its first month has yet to be beat.

Apr 21, 2018
Surprised but not surprised.

I'd still like to know what value people see in the subscription model though, because frankly it boggles my mind.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

I'd still like to know what value people see in the subscription model though, because frankly it boggles my mind.

Subscriptions are less exploitive than loot-boxes and microtransactions. Though I will say that Tour's is overpriced. If it was a $10 or $15 subscription I think more people would bite.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

It's cheap enough that I can just subscribe and not really care. It's $5 a month. $2.50 per 2 week tour that gets you a high-end character, kart, and a bunch of rubies and extras is plenty of value compared to me spending $15 at McDonalds after work or something.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The subscription is both shit and incredibly helpful to progress through the cups because of 200cc. If it gave you 3-5 rubies as an extra log in bonus that'd get more people interested in it.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
It's not surprising. Tour is a pretty solid game with enough updates and changes to keep people coming back. The subscription service is only $5/month which isnt bad. However, I think there should be more value added to the subscription and non-subscription models. The MK Tour model requires too many rubies for a pull and/or the game is a little too stingy in handing them out. The coin aspect does somewhat accommodate for it.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The number of downloads is impressive. But I'm not sure if they'll be making money off of it for very long. The game kinda sucks.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Gonna need this in a pie chart.

Makes sense tho. People love mobile games, people love mario kart.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I wonder if people will realize the revenue number is not at all good given the install base.

No multiplayer at launch was a massive mistake

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It's cheap enough that I can just subscribe and not really care. It's $5 a month. $2.50 per 2 week tour that gets you a high-end character, kart, and a bunch of rubies and extras is plenty of value compared to me spending $15 at McDonalds after work or something.
I've got to find a way to get people to give me $5 a month in perpetuity, because it seems too easy.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean you're just racing NPC's. There's no joy in showing off whatever rare characters you have because no real players will get to see you riding in your whip. No incentive to spend real coin to play the gacha pipe

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Impressive amount of downloads but I'm curious if this thing will actually bring in much revenue. For such an insanely huge brand and so much interest it feels like a failure from Nintendo's if it doesn't make a lot of money.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you're just racing NPC's. There's no joy in showing off whatever rare characters you have because no real players will get to see you riding in your whip. No incentive to spend real coin to play the gacha pipe
Multiplayer is coming. Should've been there at launch I feel, but it is coming.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm playing the game but I'm not subscribing and don't put money in it.
I could, but so far, it is way overpriced. I mean, 6€ per month ? And you'll still have to pull some gacha rng crap ?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still seems dumb they launched without MP especially if people grow tired of the game before the MP launches

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it daily, have a subscription. Don't care about multiplayer. Let people farm stuff to level 3 at least, otherwise they are screwed against pay-2-win players.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it's not comparable apples to apples, but if this game were a $60 game, it would've sold ~620,000 units. That's pretty damn good.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this game is going to grow in revenue and downloads and keep earning money for a long time. 500 million a year wouldn't be a bad result and Nintendo is very careful to not get a bad image with micro transaction addicts earning them thousands per user. They want a small fee per player and I with the amount of downloads things will add up. Half a billion downloads is probably doable.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
As LordByron28 said, MK Tour is too stingy with the premium currency. If Nintendo want more dolphins to spend on it, they need to up the free rubies drop, so people are more likely to spend small amounts.