• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes is the Kyoto-based gaming giant's most successful mobile game to date, earning an estimated $295 million in worldwide player spend during its first year of availability, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data.
As the chart below reveals, mobile gamers spent more than five times as much in Fire Emblem Heroes during its first 12 months than in Super Mario Run, which earned approximately $56 million in gross revenue in the year following its December 15, 2016 launch and sits at about $60 million total. That said, there are obvious and significant differences between the monetization approaches of the two titles that impacted the latter's potential from the outset, namely that Super Mario Run features a one-time paid "unlock" for all its content while Fire Emblem Heroes utilizes more traditional to mobile, random loot mechanisms relying on consumable in-app purchases.
To illustrate the challenge Nintendo faces, during its first two months of availability after launching worldwide on November 21, 2017, Nintendo's mobile Animal Crossing had grossed approximately $20 million across the App Store and Google Play, less than one quarter of the $86 million players spent in Fire Emblem Heroes during its first two months. Last month, Fire Emblem Heroes ranked No. 34 for worldwide mobile game revenue on both platforms, while Animal Crossing ranked No. 190, further putting the two titles' degrees of success in contrast.
Source: https://sensortower.com/blog/fire-emblem-heroes-first-year-revenue

fire-emblem-heroes-fiexknv.jpg

fire-emblem-heroes-filvj8q.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
wonder what this means for the console games.

Bigger production to expand the series I would hope.

Very impressive for a small IP to grow into a mobile success. Then again, Fire Emblem was a smart choice seeing how the series has the biggest cast of characters for a Nintendo IP

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
I've actually really been enjoying Fire Emblem Heroes and I've spent no money on it

Good for them, finding what makes money while still providing a game that keeps F2P happy

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm quite surprised at how poorly AC is doing seeing as it was already a very large franchise and seemed perfect for the mobile market. I've played all of like 15 minutes of the thing, but I guess structurally there really isn't much incentive to pay for anything or that basic pick up and play hook that drives people to dole out real cash.

Good for FE though, theoretically at least. FE Switch should already have gotten a boost in budget and priority given the success on the 3DS but this should help put even more attention behind it. Only fear is how much direction wise will this effect the mainline series as many of those elements drew a lot of ire in the 3DS titles which are nowhere as fanservicey as the mobile game.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I welcome our new mobile overlords.

I've spent more time on FEH than all the other Fire Emblems combined.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the seemingly few people in my circle to enjoy this game, but I'm really glad it's doing well- I haven't spent a cent on it but can still manage to have fun with it so they must be doing something right.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
considering how low the actual cost of making the game has probably been,it's a success for nintendo

too bad i really couldn't get into it..also i have already one f2p game i follow and it's enough.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will they do with that money is the real question. Will they just pocket it like penny pitchers or will they use that in investments?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It makes sense. Nintendo needs to make their mobile games free with some mild-aggressive in game purchases. Free to start does not work, and the very naive in game purchases of animal crossing are not going to bring the revenue they could be getting otherwise.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Only gacha where I've spent money, but it is also my favourite IP.

However, I don't want to spend more money on it than on a standard game, so max 40€

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
wonder what this means for the console games.

Bigger production to expand the series I would hope.

Very impressive for a small IP to grow into a mobile success. Then again, Fire Emblem was a smart choice seeing how the series has the biggest cast of characters for a Nintendo IP

amount of characters doesn't matter. You could make a gatcha game with shyguys and koopas and sniffits and get the same quality of game that you have with FEH

Its the camilla, tharja, lyn, etc. factor

Oct 27, 2017
Game is a really fun time waster... 15 minutes, 5 hours, it'll waste any amount of time very quickly.

i've never felt remotely pressured into buying orbs or sta potions- they give them up like nothing. And on top of that, the orbs are fuckin expensive. I probably wouldve bought some if they werent so expensive. So im a bit surprised this made so much. Disclaimer: im totally new to this whole mobile gaming thing.

I feel like you'd have to play several hours daily and exhaust everything to hit a point where you needed to buy stamina potions.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The revenue share seems wrong compared with my experience in game. Unless japanese whales don't care about arena.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game is a really fun time waster... 15 minutes, 5 hours, it'll waste any amount of time very quickly.

i've never felt remotely pressured into buying orbs or sta potions- they give them up like nothing. And on top of that, the orbs are fuckin expensive. I probably wouldve bought some if they werent so expensive. So im a bit surprised this made so much. Disclaimer: im totally new to this whole mobile gaming thing.

I feel like you'd have to play several hours daily and exhaust everything to hit a point where you needed to buy stamina potions.
Oh man, i remember there was a time when stamina potions and feathers were scarce, now im sitting at over 300 stamina potions and 40k+ Feathers with nothing to use them on.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why SensorTower's reported Japanese share has always been way higher than Nintendo's own provided figures...

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Heroes is the only nintendo game I spent decent time in lol .still haven't purchased anything on it.

Mario run and animal crossing just sucked

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why it was always so hilarious that people said Nintendo didn't need to look at mobile. They probably spent a fraction of an AA budget, let alone an AAA budget, and made nearly 300 million in a single year. Even if they make half that this year, that's nearly half a billion for a single mobile title. And looking at that, Pokemon go made over a billion. A decent Mario title without the price of Run could be another billion dollar title.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Run getting 56 million seems pretty above what I was expecting but considering that it got 200 million of downloads, then it's fair to say why Nintendo is disappointed.

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
I spent £70 trying to get Love Abounds Hector and I got every other holiday unit instead :/

I hope all this money is spent making a great, proper Fire Emblem game.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
This is why it was always so hilarious that people said Nintendo didn't need to look at mobile. They probably spent a fraction of an AA budget, let alone an AAA budget, and made nearly 300 million in a single year. Even if they make half that this year, that's nearly half a billion for a single mobile title. And looking at that, Pokemon go made over a billion. A decent Mario title without the price of Run could be another billion dollar title.

The argument was to port their old games, which wouldn't have been that successful, considering that their smartphone games that followed the more traditional model are the least successful ones confirms the doubts. It's also clear that market realities change over time.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Now they need to funnel that money into the production of FE Switch so the series can go to the next level

user__

Oct 25, 2017
I created two extra users on my phone, for the sole purpose of playing on three FEH accounts at once. I love this game.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
This is also doesn't consider how many F2P players play the game. It's gotten a lot of Nintendo fans who only knew of Fire Emblem from Smash into the franchise, I had never played a FE game before last February and I consider myself a pretty big fan now. FE Switch has the potential to be huge if this money went into its production. If they can combine the gameplay elements of Fates (mostly Conquest), the presentation of SoV (voice acting is all but assured at this point), and the story/world of PoR (haven't played RD but I've heard that's good as well), it'll be a huge hit. That's a huge order, as usually they've only been able to capitalize on one per game, but on a powerful console it's a possibility.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
I contributed to this, not entirely happily but still worth it for my hector.

They've added so many new modes and adjustments, it's been really well supported and fun. Still hard as hell sometimes but my fav mobile game now.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Fire Emblem isn't available in my country's store like SMR, so it isn't really world wide.

Makes the revenue even more impressive.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
This is also doesn't consider how many F2P players play the game. It's gotten a lot of Nintendo fans who only knew of Fire Emblem from Smash into the franchise, I had never played a FE game before last February and I consider myself a pretty big fan now. FE Switch has the potential to be huge if this money went into its production. If they can combine the gameplay elements of Fates (mostly Conquest), the presentation of SoV (voice acting is all but assured at this point), and the story/world of PoR (haven't played RD but I've heard that's good as well), it'll be a huge hit. That's a huge order, as usually they've only been able to capitalize on one per game, but on a powerful console it's a possibility.

You are forgetting the most important parts, Waifu and Husbando.