• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't do much posting in sales threads before, although I've always followed the latest numbers and discussions surrounding them. Every month for the NPD and weekly, for Japan. Hopefully I can start and stay active now. It's great to see all the community members coming together again.

Edit: M&R seems to be doing really well, I wonder where it would be on a list of the Switch's best selling games. And Destiny 2 is doing amazingly, as expected. Seeing the PC add to those sales soon will be very interesting for sure.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Locally, Destiny 2 is very popular. My roommate is addicted, coworkers are playing, friends are playing.

And a good few of them never played the first game.

edit: yo, what up Aqua?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I believe we have reached that stage of full-game download migration where physical units are no longer an adequate barometer for comparing relative sales performances. There is far too much evidence from far too many sources. I really hope NPD will start tracking Nintendo digital soon, so the Top 20 rankings can be wholly representative of the current market.

I had assumed it was on Nintendo.
Are they open to it and NPD is resistant or something?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Golly, lots of good names are back!

Not remotely surprised by D2. The earlier headline about the dropoff in retails sales was true but I now take any headline with the caveat 'at retail' with a healthy dose of cynicism.

Kriken

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was a bit shocked to see Fifa chart for Switch but not NBA 2K18, then I remembered the physical copy came out in October

Hi all! Remember me?

this-is-a-name-i-have-not-heard-in-a-long-time.jpg

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely want to know the Marvel number. Glad to see it sold better than what everyone was most likely thinking

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sales thread started off at flying start. I guess PS4 and switch difference aren't that much hence PS4 family far more profitable

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Destiny 2 is doing well. It is such an improved game over the first one's vanilla version, and has me playing a few hours every week after finishing the campaign which is a big accomplishment. I had a physical version initially (bought at a deep discount) after finishing the campaign and playing the post-campaign stuff a bit, I was completely convinced. Sold it off for a profit and bought the digital version of the game + expansion pass.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact Destiny 2 in 1 month outsold Wildlands YTD (which performed great in it's own right) is damn impressive

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that "underwhelmed relative to EA's lofty expectations given the storied history of the franchise" is a more apt descriptor than "collapsed after first month."

Mass Effect 3 made $200 million for EA at launch month alone, while during the quarter Mass Effect Andromeda launched, only $111 million of sales were generated from all of EA's retail / digital software sales combined.

This. The absolute sales of the game matters less than the expectations the published has of the game.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that "underwhelmed relative to EA's lofty expectations given the storied history of the franchise" is a more apt descriptor than "collapsed after first month."

Mass Effect 3 made $200 million for EA at launch week alone, while during the quarter Mass Effect Andromeda launched, only $111 million of sales were generated from all of EA's retail / digital software sales combined.
Ouch. It did better than 1& 2 launch months correct?

I don't know what EA was thinking with the long gap between releases.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, Aquamarine is back? You had a perfect opportunity to use this meme!

giphy.gif

MEA is no doubt disappointing in terms of ROI for EA. No way they were going to greenlight another title in the series.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. It did better than 1& 2 launch months correct?

I don't know what EA was thinking with the long gap between releases.
I don't think it was gap as much as the fact that it was missing the old crew (Tali and Garrus etc) and on top of that it was mess in more ways than one.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
allan-bh I think Sony does $50 drop on the Pro for sure. Makes sense, puts Pro a full $150 less than the One X. They can market "4k" for a substantially less price tag to the casual consumer

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
No, just the usual $50 drop for Black Friday and than again in december. The question is if they will include Pro in the cut.
Issuing a $50 cut to the Slim is expected, but I'm not so sure doing one to the Pro would be beneficial to Sony. Xbox One X will sell its launch supply regardless of competition and their pricing. Sony will sell plenty of hardware this holiday - be with via bundles or a price reduction. Sony doesn't need to drop the price of the Pro for it to sell well.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid is a bit lower than I hoped, but crossing my fingers it met Nintendo's expectations. It at least appears to be doing better than the other end of life 3DS games.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
How has SNES Classivs been doing the past few weeks. Got mine so haven't been paying attention to the current availablility situation.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Issuing a $50 cut to the Slim is expected, but I'm not so sure doing one to the Pro would be beneficial to Sony. Xbox One X will sell its launch supply regardless of competition and their pricing. Sony will sell plenty of hardware this holiday - be with via bundles or a price reduction. Sony doesn't need to drop the price of the Pro for it to sell well.

They don't need to I'd agree.

I still think they will. Nothing Permanent but a promotion Some point this Holiday is highly likely imo

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I think PS4 price cuts could possibly be announced at Paris Game Show next monday.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
allan-bh I think Sony does $50 drop on the Pro for sure. Makes sense, puts Pro a full $150 less than the One X. They can market "4k" for a substantially less price tag to the casual consumer

$100 remains being significantly less and Xbox One X will probably be supply constrained, so I don't know, maybe Sony will keep the price and wait until X receive it's first price drop.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Mario & Rabbids doing well. I wonder how does it success so far compares to the XCom games. Also surprised that MvCI didn't completely unperformed here like everywhere else. Guess the general Marvel brand is that strong in the US with or without X-Men.

Btw expect a strong result for SNES Classic in October as well
Only October, I predict there is going to be strong throughout the rest of the year(assuming it's well-stocked).

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
They don't need to I'd agree.

I still think they will. Nothing Permanent but a promotion Some point this Holiday is highly likely imo
It wouldn't surprise me if they do or don't. They have enough bundles this yr to leave things alone and sell tons of units. All three companies are in prime position to sell a lot this holiday. MS has X, Sony the Slim/Pro with bundles, and Nintendo with the Switch/Mario and the basement prices the 3DS will hit on Black Friday sales. Switch and X will be the only hardware limited due to supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.